(Better than 65% in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA)

Total BCAA 12000 is a BCAA manufactured by TBN Labs. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

September 26, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces DOMS
  • Reduces Recovery Time
  • High Dose Leucine
  • Nice Graphics
  • Good Marketing
  • Acid Reflux
  • Slightly Expensive

INTRODUCTION

What's up SupplementReviews. It's time to review Total BCAA 12000 from the brand Total Body Nutrition (TBN). Thanks to Total Body Nutrition for participating in the SR TROOP program and to SupplementReviews for making this connection possible. BCAAs are one of those things you can take anytime to receive its benefits. So it's always important to constantly supply with them. You really feel the difference when you supplement with them and when you don't, that's the best proof it works. I train 5 days a week, from Monday to Friday and rest during the weekend so recovering fast for the next day is something important for me. I know that maybe training 5 days in a row isn't the best way to train but well, that's what I can do. So let's begin... Oh wait, before that, thanks for the samples added. I was very surprised with the preworkout: "1,3D Nox". It's a huge proprietary blend but it hits hard! 10 sets of squats and I still had plenty of energy left lol. The strength it gave me was solid and constant too. It's an interesting product.

Also, sending like a pamphlet, brochure or booklet was a great marketing idea. The pamphlet explains each product the company has, it also lists all the flavors each product has, tells the benefits, etc. I don't know if all the products they have are in the pamphlet but they have a lot. Good job, I hope you send it to ordinary clients so they can know the variety of products you have. It's also a good quality pamphlet.

INGREDIENT PROFILE

12 grams of BCAA per serving. 30 total servings. They use a ratio of 8:2:2 which means 8g Leucine, 2g Isoleucine and 2g Valine instead of the traditional ratio 2:1:1. No fillers, no sugars, no carbs, no fats, no artificial colors/flavors. They use natural flavors (they don't say which) and Stevia. This is a very good profile. Some people claim that the 2:1:1 ratio is the best, others prefer more Leucine ratio. The thing is this: Leucine by itself provides various benefits. There's no incompatiblity between Leucine and the other BCAA (Isoleucine and Valine) because they tend to be together. So if I put in a supplement more Leucine, then I expect to feel better benefits than with a 2:1:1 ratio. That's what I expect, in theory. I understand that when an ingredient is in a compound, it doesn't necessarily "behaves" like when it's alone. But in Leucine's case, considering it's usually bonded with Isoleucine and Valine, then I think more Leucine = better results.

Leucine is the amino acid that provides the most amount of benefits regarding muscles. Some part of the Leucine also metabolizes into HMB and HICA which provides additional benefits. Leucine helps to start the muscle protein synthesis process by activating a protein called mTOR. I guess this summarizes what we all want: "Leucine appears to be the most potent of all amino acids in stimulating muscle protein synthesis."

BCAAs have plenty of benefits: Reduces muscle fatigue, delays fatigue, improves performance, provides clean energy when needed, prevents catabolism, promotes anabolism, supports muscle protein synthesis and plenty of other benefits. For more info, look it up, I already gave you a lot lol.

The only thing to criticize is the way they list this as "Protein". They did it in their other products too, they seem to be confused, somebody probably gave them a wrong advice. BCAAs are NOT Protein so don't list them as Protein. BCAAs are PART of Protein but they are not Protein. It's like if you say the Tires of a car is the car itself. No, the tires are part of the car but they are not a car themselves.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

TASTE: I received the "Peachy Mango" flavor. It's difficult to mess up with those 2 flavors lol. BCAA's with a high ratio of Leucine will usually taste bad, Leucine is bitter so don't expect something "delicious". BUT considering most BCAA products with high ratio of Leucine taste "strange", this one was good. It had a good taste. You will sometimes feel some of the bitterness that comes from the Leucine. It wasn't tasty or delicious but it was better than "average". I was expecting something worse. The surprise is even more considering they didn't use artificial flavors, they used natural flavors and stevia. So based on all of that, good flavor! They have plenty of flavors for this product: Unflavored, Cafe Mocha, Chilled Raspberry, Farmers Grape, Icy Fruit Punch, Natural Apple, Peachy Mango, Tropical Watermelon, Wild Cherry, Zesty Lemonade.

MIXABILITY: The powder mixed fine. I usually shake for 30-60 seconds, they say to shake for 60 seconds. The thing is it creates a lot of foam. This is also expected from BCAA supplements with a high ratio of Leucine.

DOSING: Considering each serving has 12 grams of BCAA, then 1 scoop per day is enough IMO. I tried this supplement several ways: In the morning after breakfast for overall recovery, energy and to help my low protein breakfast lol. I used most servings post-workout because I wanted to get the benefits of the muscle protein synthesis so that's why I usually took it post-workout. The thing is sometimes that "Post-Workout" was before sleeping because I was very full from all the water I had during my workout + dinner and Whey Protein lol. And some days I tried it Intra-Workout, sometimes with half-scoop (6g) and other times full scoop.

EFFECTIVENESS

Like user "WarMachine" reported in his review, SOMETIMES "Any muscle DOMS, lethargy, or muscle exhaustion I would typically have following intensive training sessions in every consecutive day was reduced to nearly zero." Sometimes this happened and I was very surprised about it. It wasn't always though, sometimes this worked as an average BCAA supplement, other times higher than average but I feel the extra Leucine helped a lot with the recovery, strength, clean energy, etc. My suggestion after using this is that when you're going to use it in the morning (not related to before-during-post workout), then use half scoop twice in 2 separate moments. That way you will still be getting a good dose (4g Leucine, 1g Isoleucine, 1g Valine). You may want to use a full dose inmediately post-workout/before sleeping or a full dose during workout if you train for strength. If you're going to use it as pre-workout (never tried this this way), then I suggest half-scoop unless you're not using a preworkout.

So overall, I think this was superior in terms of Post-Workout Recovery compared to other BCAA/Amino supplements. In terms of Endurance/Performance, I think it worked similar to other BCAA/Amino supplements. I always take pre-workout though so I guess a fairer competition between both would be to take them alone and see which one works better. This was expected though, intra-workout amino acid supplements usually have some extra ingredients to help with hydration, performance, endurance, more oxygen, electrolytes, etc, so I don't really expect TBN Total BCAA 12000 to be superior to other BCAA/Amino supplements as Intra-Workout. BUT remember the post-workout recovery was better so workouts were usually better so take that into account! When I took it in the morning with my breakfast, I think it helped but it didn't come close to my favorite BCAA/Amino supplements for my morning: "Ronnie Coleman Amino-Tone + Energy" Pineapple Mango flavor <3 hahaha (Hey hey respect the first love at first sight lol). That's also expected though, the Amino-Tone + Energy has plenty of other ingredients...

I also feel the acid reflux caused by the product may be stopping this product from being the best. A good digestion is fundamental. If you have acid reflux caused by the product, then the digestion of the BCAA and the other ingredients/supplements/food won't be the best. I had to lower the Overall and Effectiveness score because of this. If this can get fixed or if this doesn't show up in other flavors, this could be considered a "9" rating supplement. (SupplementReviews standard)

VALUE

It seems this product is only sold right now at www.tbnlabs.com (which is their website). It costs $37.75 + Shipping. I think $37.75 is the fair price of this product. Comparing it with other BCAA/Aminoacid supplements might not be so fair because other products don't have this Leucine ratio. Hopefully, when this becomes available in other retailers, price can go lower, something between $30 and $35, I think this range would be more fair to customers. Shipping is $5 for 0-2lbs products, $7 for 3-6lbs, $12 for 10lbs... I guess it just keeps going up. So the final price would be $42.75, that's expensive. This is a big disadvantage you have and it's probably stopping you from having more sales. You must find a way to make it cheaper. There are some strategies you could use (figure them out, it's your job :P)

You're basically getting 60 servings of 6 grams of BCAA with 4:1:1 BCAA ratio. You can get cheaper BCAA products with 60 servings (usually with 5g per serving and with a 2:1:1 ratio though). So like I said, the price is fair, they're putting more Leucine and that must cost more. And hopefully if they distribute this to other retailers, price can decrease to something between $30 and $35.

SIDE EFFECTS

I didn't notice this was giving me acid reflux until user "mhseaver670" mentioned it in his review. I thought it happened "occasional" but when I decided to pay close attention to it, I could identify it was this supplement. Unfortunately I didn't have much servings left when "mhseaver670" posted his review. I think it's probably because of all the foaming.

CONCLUSION

Excellent profile, high dose of BCAAs, especially Leucine, which is what makes it different from the rest. Effective supplement that sometimes surprised me with eliminating all types of muscle soreness. It's versatile because you can easily take half-scoop and get a good high dose of BCAA. Value may look expensive but it's fair because of the high dose, servings, quality so it's not expensive when you take all those factors into account. They need to solve the shipping though because if you include shipping, it makes it too expensive. It needs to be widely available.

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE COMPANY

1. The acid reflux issue needs to be solved although not all users reported this side effect.
2. Make it more available to buy. That's one of the strategies to make shipping cheaper/better.
3. Find the way to make shipping cheaper.
  • Peachy Mango: 7/10

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

September 11, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces DOMS
  • Reduces Recovery Time
  • Flavor Picks
  • High Dose Leucine

Another special thanks to TBN Labs for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experience with their BCAAs product Total BCAA 12,000. As I've explained in nearly all of my reviews for BCAAs products, recovery is the mainstay of making gains when sticking to the concept of gains occurring outside of the gym. On top of that, we need to recover from previous workouts in order to continuously pound away at the iron the following days in order to keep the gains coming. Of course, we must recover from those as well. BCAAs are great for helping to kickstart anabolism by supporting repair and growth. Leucine is especially vital because of its direct role in the mTor pathway of building muscle.

The profile contains 12g of protein. These 12g are constructed from the 12g of BCAAs contained in Total BCAAs 12,000 within a 8:2:2 ratio.

The BCAAs content consists of a hefty 8,000mg of Leucine, 2,000mg of Valine, and 2,000mg of Iso-leucine. The unique thing I like about this profile is that most BCAAs will only contain a mere 2:1:1 ratio, leaving much to desire in terms of the amount of bcaas you'd prefer. Furthermore, the large dose of leucine is highly favorable because of leucine's direct role in the vital pathway of muscle anabolism.

More specifically, leucine activates what is known as the mtor pathway as I mentioned in the intro. This pathway is active in all vital tissue as it mediates the growth and proliferation of cell construction. It would take forever to explain every detail, but I think you get the idea.

Also, leucine reduces the functioning of myostatin, allowing for more muscle growth potential.

I got the cafe mocha flavor and enjoyed a lot. It had a pleasant distinct flavor exactly like your typical coffee specialty beverage. There was no aftertaste or unnecessary chemical aroma with this flavor.

The mixability was fine as it mixed thoroughly in water without any undissolved grit or any other problems.

I dosed this post workout by combining one scoop with some water and drinking it followed by some additional protein about 15 minutes later.

TBN labs makes some various claims about the products benefits including fat loss, lean muscle growth, and sugar modulation. Well truthfully, I was interested in one thing....recovery so that is what I will base my judgement for effectiveness on.

With the help of the hefty leucine dosage and the other BCAAs valine and iso-leucine, my recovery was improved to a very notable degree. Any muscle DOMS, lethargy, or muscle exhaustion I would typically have following intensive training sessions in every consecutive day was reduced to nearly zero. Even during my heavy compound movement focused workouts where I incorporate both high intensity and high volume-under-speed intervals, I was recovering better than ever and I was constantly ready and more energetic to hit the next workout as the week progressed.

My intra-workout endurance seemed a little better as well, but I would accredit this mostly to my pre-workout. Though, many times I do experience better endurance with BCAAs.

Total BCAAs is not widely available and currently only sold on TBN labs website at 38 dollars. As others have indicated, that is about 1.25 a serving. This isn't the most expensive product of its kind and I think it is not too bad an investment given its effectiveness. Still, if you are a frequent user of BCAAs and depending on how often you dose, the price tag can add up. So, not the worst value, but not the cheapest either.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Total BCAAs 12,000 is a great BCAAs with a bit of a steep price tag. It will dramatically help with recovery and depending on your training and diet, it has the potential to help in other areas as well. Just be sure to try and catch it on sale and of course, don't forget to keep your training and diet in check.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO PATS!!!
  • Cafe Mocha: 8/10

Advertisement:
Members don't see ads: Join SR for Free

September 8, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces DOMS

Hello everyone! Big shoutout to TBN Labs for sending me their BCAA product to review. I am a 26 year old firefighter from Ohio. My main fitness goals are to maintain a solid shape for my job and to build muscle/ strength.

This is a very simple and straight forward label. There is 0 calories per serving, 0 fat, and it states 12 grams of protein which I am not sure what ingredient that comes from. My only thought on that is it comes from what protein supplements call "amino spiking". But seeing as this is an amino supplement I don't think it negatively effects this product. Just don't get caught up considering this a protein supplement because it is not. The only other thing on he label is a proprietary blend called BCAA. That blend is 12,000mg and consists of L-Leucine at 8,000mg, L-Isoleucine at 2,000mg, and L-Valine also at 2,000mg. The dose they use for the L-Leucine is way higher than I've seen any other brand use. I am not sure why this ingredient is super dosed but I don't consider it bad. If it would make the product cheaper to cut that dose in half though I would definitely be all for that.

The flavor I received is Natural Apple and believe me it was just that. It tasted exactly like a glass of apple juice. I was very pleased with the flavor and I enjoyed drinking it each and every time. I never had any issues with mixability. I shook it up in a shaker with no mixing ball and each time it blended in perfectly. Never any left over clumps or powder at the bottom. Each scoop is 12g and is fairly small.

The product claims on the label to promote lean muscle mass, ignite protein synthesis, enhance muscle growth, modulate blood sugar, prevent carb and fat oxidation inhibition, and promote visceral fat loss. Now that's a ton of claims for an amino product but I will tell you that I did have positive results while on it. I definitely gained a few pounds and noticed muscle increase during my use. This is not strictly due to this product but I think it did help. It did not completely remove muscle soreness but I could definitely notice a decrease in soreness the next morning / following days. Anything that helps with soreness is awesome especially after a tough leg day. I drank this at night or first thing in the morning and I feel it helped out with muscle loss and hunger upon waking up. I don't know if having 8,000mg of L-Leucine makes any difference than 2 or 4,000mg but this product worked for me.

I found this product for $37.75 on the companies website. Each tub contains 30 servings. This breaks down to about $1.25 per serving. This product is effective so I think the money is worth it if you have it to spend and your looking for an amino product. As I stated earlier if you can cut the L-Leucine dose down to reduce the price it would be more appealing.

Side Effects

I experienced no negative side effects during my usage of this product.

Conclusion

Overall I was pleased throughout my entire use of this amino supplement. It worked well for me and I could definitely see myself using it again. It tasted great and it was refreshing each use. I recommend it to anyone looking for a new amino product with an interesting flavor.
  • Natural Apple: 9/10

September 6, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces DOMS
  • Reduces Recovery Time
  • Flavor Picks
  • Acid Reflux

Total body nutrition labs has come to the scene bringing all kinds of goodies to the game. This particular one has a whoping
12 grams of BCAA's at a 8:2:2 ratio. Not bad and it is pretty much a bigger dose than most bring. How does it fair to the rest?

Like I mentioned above it does have 12grams of BCAA's . Leucine 8g, Isoleucine 2g and Valine at 2g. All really good, but on
the lable it mentions it has 12 grams of protein. This too confused me and after reading Italy48 review I noticed he had
asked them about this too. And thier answer struck me as odd. I am going to repeat what he was told.
"Amino acid [BCAA] can be consider as protein." I have my own opinions on what to think about that being said but I will not
voice it here. Next I want to point out this does not offer any extra goodies that most look for in a top tier Bcaa product
now. Like coconut water or some added electrolytes and EAA's.

I had the peach/mango and it was Okay but it seemed to bother me which I will explain later.
It mixed great, A few shakes and it was done. It did foam a bit but went away fast and then had some slight settling but nothing a quick shake would not fix.

Yea it would be hard to NOT have some recovery with a dose of 12 grams of bcaa's. But even at that I still did not get the benefit's like I get from some of my other choice's I typically run. I like to have some EAA's and some aid with Hydration as I feel is key in recovery. Now I have recently switched to a new gym and the energy there is awesome. Loud music everyone is hitting the iron with madness. So I have been hitting the weights harder than I have in a while so I will say it did help me recover well for that. I tried this as a intra a few times but the side effects I was getting was just too much for me to continue using it like that. I typically took this midday and it seemed to help give me a slight boost in the evening before the gym.

It is not widely available and I never found it anywhere but on the brands website. At basically 38 bucks it is going to be over 1.25 a serving by the time you pay for shipping and so on. Now yes you are getting a huge dose of BCAA's but you are getting no thrills , no extra added bonuses either.

Side Effects

ACID RE-FLUX. Dear GOD this was terrible for me. I did take a few other things that added to this but I was able to figure out this was the main culprit.
Every single time I used this I would get it . It was so bad at times I wished I could have just gotten sick and made it go away or something. Taking as a Intra was the worst for me. Once I bet over to pick something up. It was absolutely terrible. I hate to bash it so bad but nothing has bothered me this bad.
I truly feel it was something to do with flavor too. Something about it from the first sip bothered me. It tasted fine but it has this odd flavor that just sticks around.

Conclusion

TBN has come out swinging and this is a pretty well dosed bcaa and it is not bad. But at the end of that day it is just that. I would like to see a few things added to this mix and then I feel it would possible compete with some of the top tier ones.
  • Peachy Mango: 6/10

August 27, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces Recovery Time
  • Reduces DOMS

Thank you to TBN Labs for the opportunity to try this BCAA product and supporting the SR Trooper program. The part that really caught my eye is the 12 grams of BCAA's in this product.

This is pretty straight forward. There are 12 grams of BCAA's in an 8:2:2 ratio. Most BCAA products I have used come in the 5 gram range with a 2:1:1 ratio. In here you get Leucine at 8g, Isoleucine at 2g and Valine at 2g. A few benefits of taking BCAA's are retaining and building muscle and decreased recovery times. One thing that did confuse me a bit was the fact that it says there are 12g of protein in here on the label. I contacted the company and their reply was the following "Amino acid [BCAA] can be consider as protein." I am not sure how to interpret this reply. I would like to hear the thoughts from all of you that read this review in the comment section below.

I had the Peachy Mango flavor which was pretty good. It was heavier on the peach than the mango. It did have a bit of an aftertaste at times but not all the time which was a little odd. This mixed fine and had minimal foaming and I don't think I saw any residue at the bottom of the shaker cup after my initial shakes to mix it up at the beginning of my workouts. I took one scoop of this into 20 ounces of cold water intra-workout. On off days I took it anytime throughout the day where I could squeeze it in.

I take BCAA's mainly for muscle building, retaining muscle and recovery which includes reduced DOMS. The TBN Labs website says it increases visceral fat loss. Hey, if it increases fat loss that's great but not my main purpose for this supplement. I can say that this definitely reduced DOMS and did help me recover a little quicker than many of the BCAA supplements I have used at the 5g mark with a 2:1:1 ratio. Was this a placebo effect knowing that this had 12g of BCAA in it? Not really sure but that is what I experienced. I started a new job recently so I went from a 5x12 program down to a 3x12 program with heavier weight to try and make up for the lost sets and reps. Some trial and error at first with the amount of weight used but I figured it out. Usually when I go from more sets and reps but lower weight I seem to feel it for the first few weeks and the same goes for lower reps and sets with heavier weights. I do have a hard time recovering from chest and leg days. I dread the next two mornings after these days. This supplement did seem to knock the intensity of my soreness down a bit compared to most other BCAA's I have used. I retained the muscle I already had and continued to make progressions in my lifts. I did not notice anything in the fat loss department but was not really expecting anything.

For 30 servings you will expect to pay $37.75 on the TBN Labs website. This comes out to $1.25 per serving. For 12 grams of BCAA's this is a fair price. It looks like Amazon does carry this but they are currently out of stock. I hope more suppliers/retailers start carrying this in the future.

Side Effects

Conclusion

TBN Labs did a nice job putting 12 grams of BCAA's in this product at a very fair price. With the positive results that I had from this I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good BCAA product. I look forward to trying this in the future in the different flavors they offer.
    • Peachy Mango: 7/10