Genius Protein Reviews

By: The Genius Brand

Protein > Blended Protein
Genius Protein is a Blended Protein Powder manufactured by The Genius Brand. It contains a blend of different types of protein and will promote lean muscle mass and fat loss.

January 20, 2018

• Natural
  • High Quality
  • Blended Protein
  • No Larger Size Tub
  • No Other Flavors

Lately, I have been seeing more and more of the genius brand. They are very popular on Amazon and I have tried their caffeine pills. I have been a fan of whey protein isolate and casein blends so when I saw this protein go up for the Troops I wanted to try it. Here is the review.

Genius Protein comes in a two pound, 30 serving container. At the time of this writing there appears to be only one flavor, which is lean coco. Each serving is 32g and you get 110 calories, less than 1g of fat, 3.5g of carbohydrates (2.5g of sugar), and 24g of protein. Genius Brand discloses the protein ratio in their ingredient panel so you are looking at 13.5g from whey protein isolate (fast digesting) and 13.5g from micellar casein (slow digesting). I really like how they disclose the protein content as many other companies don't. Following those you have 2g of natural evaporated cane sugar and cocoa for flavoring. After that you have natural flavors, organic stevia leaf extract, salt, xanthan gum, and silica.

It is a very clean ingredient panel and I do like how there are no artificial sweeteners. I did weigh out the scoop and it was very accurate. I have had protein powders in the past that had heavy scoops and I am glad this one was accurate.

Genius Protein comes in only one flavor, which is lean coco. When you first open the tub the powder has a very dry smell. Almost like smelling unflavored cooking cocoa with hints of chocolate. When mixed, it has like a powdered hot cocoa type smell with almost hints of cream. The first taste you get hit with is a subtle chocolate cream taste and it is followed by a very slight bitter chocolate taste. The bitterness is very similar to dark chocolate. To me it tastes like someone took a milk chocolate bar, dark chocolate bar, and hot cocoa mix and put in a blender. It just had a really good balance and one that I enjoyed. I will note that I didn't really notice the stevia taste, I could slightly taste it a minute or two after drinking the protein. In terms of mixability, it mixed fairly well in milk but I did notice sometimes powder would get stuck in the pouring spout of a blender bottle. In water, it mixed fine and I didn't notice any powder getting stuck anywhere. As far as dosing goes, I used it to fill my protein macros so it depended on the day.

I do want to note here, I do wish they have other flavors as I think this one is quite good. I would love to see what they could do with a strawberry flavor or even a vanilla.

For this review I am going to look at three things I think Genius Protein aided in. They are improved recovery, muscle building, and saiting appetite. One of the things I noticed while taking this protein was a slight increase in recovery. I started drinking this with instant coffee about thirty minutes before my workouts. I noticed that I was not as sore as I usually am, which leads me to believe that this had a recovery benefit. This was more notable because I recently switched to incorporating 5x5 aspects into my workout routine. Since adding those I was extremely sore and would have to take an extra day. However, since dosing this pre workout (and taking additional BCAAs) I haven't needed to take that extra day as much. This in turn has led into the next benefit of muscle building. The improved recovery I felt helped me increase strength and build muscle. This was most notable in dumbbell bench press were I jumped up 10 pounds on flat and 5 pounds on incline. Prior to this I was plateaued hence the attempt to add in 5x5 routine. Overall, I felt like this protein was very effective for recovery and muscle building.

Another aspect that I felt the protein was effective for was saiting appetite. A couple of times I would take this in the morning and I would not get hungry for at least three hours (four if mixed with milk). In the past when I have used a protein shake for breakfast I would be get hungry a lot quicker and would tend to snack. So, I feel like this is an effective snack type protein due to the inclusion of the slow digesting micellar casein protein.

The only place that currently carries this protein is Amazon. A 30 serving container retails for $37.95 making it $1.26 per serving. Comparing it to other similar type products, Nutrabio Muscle Matrix Protein retails for $39.99 for about 28 servings making it $1.42 per scoop. Then you have Pro Jym that goes for $1.40 per serving, Syntha 6 goes for $1.06 per serving and PES Select is $1.43 per serving. I think that Genius Protein is competitively priced and is cheaper than several of the popular brands. There is definitely some value in this product. Genius Protein would be a product I would recommend if person was looking for a naturally flavored whey protein isolate and micellar casein blend. I know since I shop on Amazon frequently, I could see adding this to my subscribe and save bringing the price down by 15% (depending on how many other items you have on the subscribe and save).

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Genius Protein is a great tasting whey protein isolate and micellar casein blend. I felt like it helped me with recovery, muscle building, and saiting my appetite. It tastes quite good and has a rich taste to it. I do wish there were other flavors and a larger tub size. I definitely recommend giving this protein a try!

-Xcmiler
  • Lean Coco: 9/10

January 2, 2018

• Blended Protein
  • Natural
  • High Quality
  • No Other Flavors
  • No Larger Size Tub

Introduction + Ingredient Profile

Genius Protein is a blended protein consisting of two high quality forms of protein: whey isolate and micellar casein. Blended proteins are cool because they can be taken whenever and have different rates of absorption. You can use it first thing in the morning, snack, post-workout, pre-bed, etc. On days that I worked out, I would use one serving about a half hour post-workout. On days that I did not train, I used this sometime in the afternoon as a snack to hold me over until dinner. In each serving, there is 24 g of protein: 12 g of whey isolate and 12 g of micellar casein. It contains 110 calories, less than a gram of fat, and 3.5 g of carbs (2.5 being sugar). Very nice looking profile and I liked that it was naturally sweetened with cane sugar and Stevia as well as not containing soy lecithin.

Taste 7/10: I received the chocolate flavor and thought it was pretty good. It was light on the chocolate flavor and had a bit of the bitter aftertaste from the Stevia. I used it strictly in water. It was not the most enjoyable protein I have had, but definitely tolerable.

Mixability 7/10: This protein mixed up pretty well aside from some initial foam and foam left over after using a shaker cup. I actually preferred the cup and spoon method with this protein because of all the foam I was getting. It was not that thick of a shake either, which was kind of surprising considering half of it was casein.

Dosing: This is a protein when you can basically take at anytime. As stated earlier, I used this about a half hour after my workouts because I used another whey protein immediately after my workout and as a snack on off days.

This powder provided me with 24 g of protein to help me increase my protein intake for the day. It provided my muscles with fuel after working out and kept me full until dinner. It was fairly satiating and a much better option than just a plain whey isolate or even concentrate in that regard. It was not the best tasting protein I have had as stated earlier, but it never upset my stomach and seemed to digest just fine.

It appears this is sold at $38 through Amazon. At 30 servings, it comes out to about $1.27 a serving. This is a fair price for what you are getting. I have only had one other protein blend in the past that uses a whey isolate and micellar casein if I remember correctly and that was NutraBio's Muscle Matrix. Genius protein is cheaper and it is naturally flavored on top of it. A couple drawbacks are that Genius Protein is neither widely available at this point nor do they offer a larger size tub at this point.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I enjoyed this protein and appreciate the quality in here. Definitely recommend if you are looking for a blended protein. Thank you Genius Brand for sending it out!
  • Lean Coco: 7/10

December 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Helps With Recovery
  • Keeps Your Appetite In Check
  • No Widely Available
Good day SR family; let me start by thanking The Genius Brand and the Troopers for the opportunity to try Genius Protein. Yes, we all know how important is the consumption of extra protein to achieve a high level of training and recovery. However, with all the thousands of brands and some crazy claims, we tend to look for the best of the best among the field of wannabies. Looking at the profile of Genius Protein, I wanted the opportunity to take it on a test drive.

Genius Protein's profile is very simple and straight to the point, 24 grams of protein, which is split up as follows:

50% Whey Isolate (12 grams) and 50% Casein (12 grams); there is only 3.5 grams of carbs, and 110 calories. You get the best of both worlds with this combination, a fast absorbing protein, and a slow digesting one; perfect for either post workout shake, snack, or before going to bed snack.

Taste - I received the Chocolate flavor, which was not bad, and no after taste, since there are no artificial dyes.

Mix - I mixed Genius Protein in a number of ways: Half Milk with water and just water. I found that when I used milk, it would taste better and would keep me full for a longer period. There was no foaming for me and using a shaker cup while on the run, Genius Protein mixed well.

Dosing - I used Genius Protein in some occasions as a snack and mostly as an evening shake, 30 mins before hitting the hay.

As we know, protein is one of those supplements that could be a challenge to gauge its effectiveness. However, if you isolate what you want the protein to do for you, it could make it easier to feel the effects. Therefore, I used Genius Protein about 70% of the time as an evening snack.

I am one, when I wake up; I am hungry as hell, which temps me to eat sugar junk. However, on the evenings where I consume one scoop, which is one serving, I noticed that I was not as hungry as I am normally am. In addition, if I worked out the night before, I was not as sore. The slow digesting Casein, which normally takes between 5 to 7 hours to digest, kept my body in an anabolic state while I fast during sleep.

As for using a serving during the day, I used Genius Protein as an afternoon snack; I normally eat between 6 to 7 times a day and it can get expensive having to buy some much food. When taken during the day, which was around 1pm to 3pm, I notice any cravings for sweets were minimized and when left from work, I was not starving by the time I got home for dinner.

Genius Protein is priced very competitive to other clean and high quality proteins. You can find it on Amazon or on their website for about $38.00 for 30 servings; that is about a $1.27 per servings. Think about it, some of us spend $1.50 on a nasty vending machine snack; Genius Protein is much healthier to use as a snack.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Genius Protein is a great addition to the high quality protein world of supplements; in my opinion, it is on the top five of blended proteins I have used in the past. For the price, I would recommend picking up a tub and if there are any promotions for the SR family, I suggest you jump on it. I would like to thank The Genius Brand for the opportunity.