Genius BCAA Reviews

By: The Genius Brand

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Genius BCAA is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by The Genius Brand. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

July 27, 2017

• Residue At The Bottom Of Shaker Cup

Before I start I want to thank The Genius Brand for giving me the opportunity to review Genius BCAA. To be honest I've never heard of this company until I saw some reviews pop in on here. I was on the lookout for some BCAAs to sip during my cardo sessions in the morning. After seeing some reviews and looking at the ingredient profile I decided to give it a shot. During the duration of this review I was training 5 to 6 days a week 2x a day - cardio in the mornings and weight training in the evenings.

Highlight: Fermented BCAAs + Attention & Memory

The ingredient profile contains ten main ingredients with dosages that are all transparent.... meaning no prop blend. One of the best parts of the ingredient profile is that it contains NO artificial flavors, colors or dyes. You get the standard 5g of BCAAs 2:1:1 ratio but they are InstAMINOS, what does that mean for you? You get pure consistent aminos without the weird stuff like hair. http://www.compoundsolutions.com/instaminos.html

On top of the Amino Acid profile The Genius Brand throws in 3g of L-Glutamine for added recovery. There are focus ingredients like Citicholine and Rhodiola rosea added along with a small amount of caffeine 100mg. I didn't really care for the caffeine either way since I trained in the mornings. However I can see if that would be an issue for some who don't use caffeine.

Overall the ingredient profile is pretty solid, no weird ingredients.... just ones proven to work.

Taste - The only flavor available is Power Orange, and like the other reviewers I didn't care too much for the taste. Its a give or take with ingredients if you go with all natural ingredients so I really can't dock it too much.

Mixability - There were some issues with mixability, there was a ton of foam. I expected some foam but not this much, you have to drink half a bottle of foam before you get to any liquid. Because of the foaming there was some residue/settlement that was left over.

Dosing - I mixed one scoop in about 20 oz of water and sipped on during fasted cardio sessions.

In terms of effectiveness this was one of the most effective BCAA supplements I have used. I believe there was a carry over from using this in the morning and transferring over to weight training at night. I had less/fewer doms during/following training which allowed me to train harder. My endurance during cardio sessions was also boosted with the added benefit of 100mg of natural caffeine and cognitive enhancers. I absolutely dread cardio sessions, however I had to added focus to get through them when compared to not drinking Genius BCAA.

If your a stim junkie this may not be a bad option to use as a pwo if your training in the evening. With only 100mg of natural caffeine your still getting enough energy to get you through a workout but a low enough dosage to not keep you up all night. I do understand that some may not like the added addition of caffeine for various reasons.... if you have a low tolerance with stims I suggest taking this in the morning or afternoon.

In regards to value, this is pretty expensive..... for 21 servings your paying around $35 on Amazon. There are some perks of being an Amazon Prime member like free shipping however that doesn't justify the price for me. I also saw some discount codes for 25-30% off bringing the value down to around $25. I wouldn't mine paying up if there were 30 servings in a tub, 21 servings isn't a round number and doesn't seem right to me.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion Genius BCAA is a great product worth recommending for everyone. There are some added benefits with energy and cognitive focus ingredients. I do like the all natural feel of this product, yes the taste isn't for everyone but at least you know what your drinking. Thanks again to The Genius Brand for participating in the SR TROOP Program.
  • Power orange: 3/10

July 24, 2017

• Safe
  • Possible Stevia Taste
  • Residue At The Bottom Of Shaker Cup

First off I want to thank Genius Brand for letting us troopers have the chance to give this product a try. I have used fermented aminos a few times before and have had good results from them. When I saw this show up on the trooper program I had to give it a try. This has been a company I had been looking into trying lately and really like what I was seeing. This for the most part turned out to be a fairly decent product for me but the taste is the real kicker with this product and I will explain what I mean by that.

I want to start off by saying that I really like that they don't use any prop blends in this and disclose everything they put in here. Big props to that. You get 5g of BCAAS at a ratio of 2:1:1. They use what are called InstaAminos meaning they don't use any duck feathers or human hair. These are suppose to be a lot better and safer. I like the added 3g of glutamine which helps with better muscle recovery, immune system and gut issues. This includes rhodiola rosea, a neuroprotective herb known to promote physical/cognitive vitality. They use natural caffeine at 100mg which I really like because it is not as hard on your adrenal glans. You get Taurine at 1g to help with focus and endurance. Citrulline malate 2:1 at 1g which helps with blood flow and pumps. Tyrosine 1g increases awareness and alertness and helps with brain function. You get Citicholine at 250mg which I had never heard of before and found out helps with brain support. I like that they use no artificial flavors, colors or dyes which is great. They do add some stevia which I am not a fan of.

Taste is where this really takes a big kick in the rear for me. This comes in one flavor only power orange. Normally I don't have a real issue with taste but when it comes to aminos I do. The reason I do is because with aminos they are meant to be sipped on not chugged like you would do with a pre-workout. This was not enjoyable at all to drink. This has more of a natural taste to it which can be good and bad at the same time. Being natural can be better for you but then the taste is usually not real good. This reminded me a lot of brushing your teeth and then trying to drink orange juice. It was like there was this really bad chemical taste to it. This for sure will be nothing you will get real excited about wanting to drink each time. If you can get past the taste then it's not as bad a product but just hard to get real excited about having to drink each time.

Mixing was not to bad but there was a lot of residue left over and it was rather foamy I noticed. After the foam settles a bit you will need some extra water to help get the rest of it down. Dosing was pretty simple one scoop is all you really need with 14-20oz of water. You can pretty much take this whenever pre, intra, or post. Just be carefull how soon before bed if you do take this because that can cause a bit of an issue getting to sleep.

Since this has caffeine added to it I decided I would take this in the mornings before I would go to work. If this would not have had the caffeine in it then I would have used it during my workouts like I normally do with aminos. I don't like taking a pre-workout with lots of caffeine in it and then add more to it and that is why I take aminos with caffeine in the mornings instead. Since I don't do coffee this is my replacement for that. The caffeine in this is natural caffeine they use at 100mg. This is not a huge amount of caffeine but was enough to help get me going a bit more in the mornings. I felt this gave me a nice little pick me up and made me feel a little more awake. It was nothing super strong like but enough to help get me going a little more. I do feel this helped me focus a little better and felt more alert also. It was nothing real crazy like for focus but enough to notice it was helping some. They say this is suppose to help you manage stress better but I never really noticed if it helped me that much. I never really had any issues I was dealing with so that might have made a difference as to why I did not notice much.

The muscle and recovery I got from this I thought was decent. Not the best I have gotten but certainly not the worst. I felt this gave me some extra recovery which helped me get going better in the mornings especially if I was feeling a bit more sore that morning. I think by taking these extra aminos in the morning only helped me feel better so I would be more ready for my workout later in the afternoon when I normally workout. With all the lifting I do getting these extra aminos in me is a big plus on the recovery part. I know this really helped limit any DOMs I may have which was really nice. No matter what body part I was working that day I never felt this helped me recover any better than I did on other days. I pretty much felt the same recovery no matter what body part I was working each day.

You can find this on amazon for $33.24 for 21 servings. I think that is a little high for only 21 servings. If they were to up this to 30 then it would not be as bad. I know they do add some extra goodies in this so the price does go up a little more. Do I really need the extra goodies no not really but they are kind of nice to have. I think if they could up this to 30 serving it would make it a lot better value. Why they only have 21 servings in this instead of 30 I don't know. I would like to see some other sites start carrying their products also. So right now this is very limited as to where you can buy it.

Side Effects

Nothing I noticed. Not that it was an issue for me but the only thing I see that could cause an issue is the added caffeine in this.

Conclusion

Overall I thought this was a fairly decent product and enjoyed using it. The biggest down fall they need to work on is taste. Normally taste would not be as big as issue but since you should normally sip on BCAAs instead of chugging them it becomes a bit of an issues. Other than taste I felt this was good and gives you a lot of extra goodies you don't really need but are nice to have. Knowing your Aminos in this are fermented is a big plus for me. Knowing how good they are and are safer only makes this that much better. Two things I would really like to see them improve on is taste and come out with another flavor. Also I would like to see them increase their servings from 21 to 30. Yes I feel this worth checking out and you should get some decent results from this. Again I want to give a big shout out to Genius Brand for making this product and letting me have the chance to try it.
  • Power orange: 3/10

6.4
  July 16, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Artificial Flavors
  • Natural
  • Residue At The Bottom Of Shaker Cup

Thank you to the Genius Brand for putting their products up for review on the SR Trooper program. I have used the stim-free Genius pre-workout in the past and had good results with it. I Like the Genius brand and prefer fermented BCAA's so when I saw this BCAA product on the SR Trooper program it was a win-win.

Fully disclosed label which is a huge plus. You get 5g of BCAAs in a 2:1:1 dosage. You get 3g of Glutamine which is added to help with muscle recovery and muscle support. Taurine at 1g helps improve focus and endurance. Citrulline Malate 1g which increases blood flow. Since I drink this intra-workout, anything that will help with blood flow and pumps is nice to have. 1g of Cit Mal on its own really would have no impact on my workouts but it will enhance my PWO. Tyrosine 1g increases awareness and alertness and helps with brain function. This is a nice to have but not necessary in a BCAA product. Citicholine 250mg which is a brain support ingredient and an ingredient I was not familiar with until recently. Rhodiola Rosea 200mg helps control stress levels and improves brain function. Caffeine 100mg which is a good thing if you like added energy but can be bad if you want to take this closer to bedtime. In my opinion all of the extra goodies are a "nice to have" and may amplify your PWO if you take this intra-workout but these are not a necessity in a BCAA supplement for me. What caught my eye was the 5g of BCAA's which came from fermented sources and the 3g of glutamine. If they could leave out everything else and increase the servings to 30 at the same price, I think they will improve this product. Again, this is just one mans opinion. One other thing to mention is there are no artificial flavors, colors or dyes which is great. Stevia is also included which I know may scare some individuals off that hate the possible stevia taste.

Here is where I experienced some issues. I had the Power Orange flavor. This was one of the worst tasting BCAA's that I have used. This does not impact a product for me too much since taste is only temporary. For me I add my BCAA's to around 20 ounces of water and sip on it throughout my workout which did make the bad taste seem prolonged since I do not chug my BCAA's unless it is an off day. It tasted more like an orange peel than an orange. The mixability was also not great. There was a lot of residue at the bottom of the shaker cup no matter how many times I shook it up through my workouts. I mixed one scoop of this into 20 ounces of cold water in a shaker cup and sipped on it during my workouts. Off days I chugged it. Foaming was minimal.

I take BCAA's mainly for recovery. I will cover what the claims are of the company and what I expected and experienced.
The Genius brand claims:
Attention, Concentration and Memory-I would say they could wrap this up in one word which is "focus". I did have good focus and attention in the gym. I was also taking a pre-workout that had ingredients that claimed to do the same thing. I do believe this helped amplify my focus. It also states that it helps you manage stress. With 3 young kids at home, nothing can help with stress....lol. If there was, I would pay top dollar for it. I did not notice any impact to stress levels but I did not expect to.
Muscle Support and Growth-I will combine this with recovery. I did have good recovery while on this and DOMS were reduced. Can I say this was the best recovery or muscle support that I have experienced, no, but it was still good and if I wasn't using BCAA's I would have had to take a few extra off days in between. The recovery that stood out to me was after chest days. This did help me recover after increasing the amount of exercises being done on chest days.
Energy-With the added 100mg of caffeine I did feel a slight energy boost. Since my PWO had ingredients for energy, the caffeine in this just added to it. On off days is when I would notice the energy the most after taking this. I believe the caffeine in this can be good or bad. If I remembered to take this around 8:30 PM on off days, the added caffeine would cause me problems falling asleep. On workout days it was a non-issue since I usually workout during the early afternoon hours.

The cheapest I found this was on Amazon at $33.24 for 21 servings. This comes out to $1.58 per serving. This is on the high side for me for a BCAA product. I do realize that have some added goodies. If they removed the extras and just kept the BCAA's and the glutamine, I wonder if they could put a full 30 servings in here? If they could keep the price between $33-$35 dollars and had 30 servings, I think more individuals would purchase this. In my opinion I think most people want to have at least 30 servings per container no matter what supplement it is.

Side Effects

Due to added caffeine, do not take too close to bed time. I would not consider this a side effect just a general awareness.

Conclusion

This is good BCAA supplement that has a lot of extras added in that on their own wont do much but if ingested around the same time you take your pre-workout may amplify it based on your PWO ingredients. The recovery from this was good and the fact that the BCAA's come from a fermented source is a huge plus for me. If they can figure out how to improve the taste with out compromising the no artificial flavor part, it will improve this product. Overall it was effective and I am glad that I had the chance to try it.
  • Power orange: 2/10

Overall
Overall
9.2
9.2
  May 21, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Safe
  • Natural
  • Effective
  • Extra Goodies
  • Possible Stevia Taste
  • More Expensive Than Some

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I have used Branch Chain products for a long time, mostly intra workout. In the past, I would always look to the cheapest product to meet my needs. My focus eventually switched to great tasting products like ISO Amino from Man Sports. Lately, I have really been watching what I put in my body, trying to fuel it with natural, safe, effective, and proven ingredients. Looking at the label, Genius BCAA seemed to fit this bill, so I thought I would give it a shot.

BCAA: As far as BCAAs go, Genius includes a pretty standard 5grams, at a 2:1:1 ratio. Nothing surprising or exciting here. What is exciting, for me anyway, is the fact that the BCAAs are in the form of InstAminos, a pure vegan form of Aminos acids. This means no bird feathers or other animal parts (something even Kris Gethin would smile about).
Unlike other BCAA products, Genius doesn't stop only at BCAAs.

Glutamine: There are 3 grams of L Glutamine in Genius BCAA. This is added for the extra recovery and muscle support. It can aid with muscle exertion recovery, immune system support, as well as gastrointestinal health. It is a nice addition here.

Taurine: There is 1 gram of taurine in Genius BCAA. This can help with nutrient regulation, balancing water and salt level, which are excreted during intense exercice. It has also been linked to mental focus, which can help with that mind muscle connection during your training.

Citrulline malate: There is 1 gram of CM in Genius BCAA. CM has been shown to fight fatigue. It increases the amount of arginine in the blood, leading to an increase in Nitric oxide allows muscles to last longer in the gym, helping to squeeze out an extra rep or two. Companies seem to steering away from CM lately in favour or straight citrulline as you need more CM to get the same effects. Having only 1 gram here, I'm not sure how effective it is. Having said that, it is just an extra goodie in a BCAA product. It will probably be added to whatever is in most people's pre workout supplements, so I'm not sure it can be viewed as a negative here.

L Tyrosine: There is 1 gram of L tyrosine in Genius BCAA. Tyrosine is a precursor to neurotransmitters like norepinephrine. It has been shown to decrease stress levels and improve mental alertness and congnitive performance. Things that would help focus on muscle contractions in the gym. It has also been shown to increase or at least reactivate the effectiveness of certain fat burners like yohimbe and ephadrine.

Citicholine ( as Cognizin): There are 250 mg in Genius BCAA. Genius says this increases brain energy and attention all performance, while supporting memory and long term brain health.

Rhodiola rosa (standardized at 3%): There are 200mg in Genius BCAA. They claim it will reduce stress and mental fatigue while promoting longevity.

Natural caffeine (coffea arabica bean): There are 100 mg in Genius BCAA. This is a natural sustained release form of caffeine that Genius uses. It is only 100mg, which seems to be on par with other energy Amino supplements that I have seen. It also seems to work in conjunction with their pre workout "Genius Pre", which is caffeine free.

Flavouring: the remaining ingredients are the flavourings, which are natural ingredients. No sucralose or other chemicals. Just natural flavours, organic stevia leaf, malice acid, need root and monk fruit.

Taste: If there is anywhere that Genius BCAA loosing some marks, its in the flavor department. It's not a bad flavor. I definitely have had worse (I'm looking at you Amino Energy Cafe). It is however, also not the best. Nothing compared to ISO Amino. This is due to the natural flavouring in the product. You can really tell that it is mainly flavoured with stevia. This can either be good or bad. It is natural, but does leave a taste. Some people seem to do better with stevia than others, so I guess it depends on what you think of stevia. I had the orange flavor, which did in fact taste orange. If it wasn't for the stevia, it would probably taste pretty darn good. Heck, even Kaged Muscle's Hydracharge using some sucralose to mask the stevia.

Mix ability: The powder mixes pretty well, although with quite a bit of foaming. It's nothing I haven't seen before from BCAAs, but there are some better mixing ones on the market. On a few occasions, I had some settling in the bottom and had to rinse it out with more water, but this was only when it was sitting longer than usual.

Dosing: At 13.2 grams per scoop, it is a little difficult to dermine exact accuracy, even with a food scale. Having said that, a normal scoop usually game me 13 grams. I couldn't account for the decimals. I do have a small scale which would have done the trick, but I decided the extra .2g were not worth the effort. At this dosing, I did in fact get 21 servings in the container. So I think it's safe to say that's it's pretty accurate.

In terms of effectiveness, this does what it is supposed to do. It is a quality BCAA, which helps width muscle protein synthesis and recovery. I can't say whether or not I felt any different taking this product, as opposed to any other bcaa, but I do like that it has the added extras. The extra 100mg of caffeine also help extend the effects of my pre workout, giving me more longer lasting energy in the gym. Therefore, for what it is, I think it is a pretty effective product.

At the moment, on Amazon, it is priced at $29.74. That seems pretty on par for most BCAA products, but it does only come with 21 servings, which is pretty small for a tub. You can however, seem to find a discount code pretty easily. I'm pretty sure that 25teamG3 works pretty consistently for 25%off on Amazon. This brings the total down to $22.30 for 21 serving, with free shipping for prime member. This makes it a little better, but still not the best price you could find. Keep in mind that more naturally flavoured products tend to cost a little more than their artificially sweetened counterparts.

Side Effects

I haven't experienced any side effects from the product, or any other BCAAs for that matter. The only area I could see that may be a concern for some, is if this was taking with a pre workout that already contains a high amount of caffeine. Some pre workouts now have upward of 400mg of caffeine. With the added 100mg from Genius BCAA, I can see that being too much for many people.

Conclusion

I think that Genius BCAA does what it aims to do. It is a high quality, vegan friendly, natural BCAA that can be used by anyone looking for a boost in the gym. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone looking to consume natural, safe and effective products. It is not the cheapest around, but I think that the quality helps make up for that. Give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.
  • Power orange: 7/10