AltRed Reviews

By: Sur PhytoPerformance

Overall
Overall
9.3
Thanks to Sur PhytoPerformance for sending it out!
  July 21, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy Dosing
  • Improved Endurance
  • Improved Stamina
  • Slight Increase To Recovery
  • NSF
  • Informed Choice
  • Gelatin Capsule

I had never heard of Sur or AltRed before they came to the site. After looking into the company it appears that they are owned by the same people behind many trademarked ingredients you see in products. Such as Vitacherry, EleveATP, Spectra and quite a few others. In addition, since I do a lot of cardio work this product appealed to me. Here is the review.

AltRed comes in a small 30 serving bottle. Each serving is one pill and they contain 50 mg of beetroot extract that is standardized to contain 25% betalains. Betalains are said to have high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory capabilities. At first glance the 50 mg might not seem like a lot since a lot of beetroot products will have 500 mg or more. However, those products do not list the standardization and I doubt they are as high as 25%. Based on taking other beetroot products in the past, I could definitely tell a positive difference when using AltRed. So, I believe that the standardization here goes a long way.

In terms of other ingredients, you have organic rice fiber I presume is the filler. Carmine for the color of the pill as they are tiny red pills. Lastly, you have a gelatin capsule. I will be honest I am surprised they went with a gelatin capsule. If this was a vegetarian/vegan type capsule I feel like they could have had broader appeal. To me personally, it does not make a difference.

Taste and Mixability do not apply here but I will say the pills are very small. So, this could be beneficial for people who have issues taking pills. As far as dosing goes, they say to take one pill each day even on off days. In addition, you can increase the dose depending on the duration of the activity you are doing. Their dosing is as follows: 0-2 hours 1 pill two hours before activity, 2-4 hours 2 pills with one 2 hours before and the other at the start, and 4+ hours 1 two hours before, one at the start, and other two hours into the activity. In essence, you can dose the pills every two hours starting two hours before the activity and throughout the activity. I will include the dosing chart in the event my explanation was confusing. I personally only ever took one pill a day and on running/workout days I would dose it about two hours before.

The main benefit of AltRed is improved endurance and recovery. If you go to the website a lot of the testimonials are from competitive runners, ironman participants, and bike riders. Luckily, when I began reviewing this product I had increased my running so I was able to test the improved endurance and recovery.

As I have mentioned in a lot of my reviews, I run anywhere from 4-6 days per week. I mix it up with LISS (low intensity steady state cardio), HIIT (high intensity interval training), and hillwork type runs. Once I started taking this I did not notice much for the first week. In the second week, I began to notice a slight increase in my stamina. This was noticeable as I have a running partner. I always had the better endurance out of the two of us as my partner is a novice runner whose main issue is pacing. Therefore, when they lead we will at times be going too fast for the distance of the run. What I noticed was over the course of the bottle my endurance and stamina were improving faster than my partner. In years past, they would usually catch up to where I was at by this time in the Summer. However, they did not in this case. I attribute it to the AltRed as I felt a lot better when I would run.

As far as recovery, there was a slight recovery boost as I was running longer and slightly faster. With this increase in speed and length I was not as sore as I would have thought I would be. So, in regards to recovery I do think it helped slightly.

Each 30 serving bottle is priced at $50 per bottle. So, you are looking at about $1.66 per serving. Now, I have seen this on sale for $10 off so that would be $1.33 per serving. I looked for other similar products but to be honest I could not find one with a standardization even close to 25%. If you are in the market for a beet root product I would give this a try and compare it to other ones. I definitely noticed a large difference with this over a generic 500mg beet root pills with no standardization listed off Amazon. I will also note that AltRed is an Ironman U.S. Series Partner and it is listed on the official ironman website. In addition, the product is informed choice and NSF verified. They also have a 30 day money back guarantee where you can take this for a month and if you did not see results they can refund the purchase.

My personal value of these is I could see myself getting these depending on where I was at supplement wise. Every once in a awhile I go off most supplements such as a pre workout, BCAA, creatine etc. During those times I usually just use coffee, multi, protein and fish oil. I think next time I do that I will pick this up and run it again.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Overall, AltRed was a unique product that I felt was effective for HIIT and LISS cardio. I definitely noticed improvements in stamina and endurance. I also noticed a slight increase in recovery but it was not as large are the stamina and endurance increases. I feel like if you are in the market for a beet root product or do a lot of cardio this is definitely worth a try. Thank you to Sur for sending the product out and I apologize that the review took awhile to get done.

-Xcmiler