Pre Workout Reviews

By: Supreme Nutrition

Pre Workout is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Supreme Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

Overall
Overall
Thanks to Supreme Nutrition for sending it out!
  December 13, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Strength
  • Increased Pumps
  • Needs More Focus Ingredients
  • Beta Alanine Is Underdosed

I'm a college student currently bulking and interested in supplements, nutrition and fitness! Also thanks to Supreme Nutrition for shipping this out and participating in the trooper program. Let's get started!

The serving size is huge (around 20 grams):
- BCAAs (5 grams): Even tho we don't know the exact ratios; clinically dosed, Leucine tends to be supplemented in the 2-5g range, it is one of the three branched chain amino acids and sometimes referred to as the 'main' amino acid due to the most popular benefit of BCAAs plus it is able to reliably increase muscle protein synthesis after meals even though the studies are still in progress. Leucine, however, is non-stimulatory. The recommended dosage range for isoleucine per se is 48-72mg/kg and it is intermediate for its ability to induce muscle protein synthesis (stronger than valine, but much weaker than leucine) but is able to significantly increase glucose uptake and the usage of glucose during exercise. There is currently insufficient evidence to suggest an optimal dose of valine supplementation and for what purposes valine supplementation might actually be useful for. In isolation, there is currently no hugely significant benefit of its supplementation that cannot be replicated by either leucine or isoleucine supplementation.

- Creatine monohydrate (5 grams): Creatine is capable of providing the working muscles with energy to allow you to push harder in the gym, all while helping to reduce muscle fatigue. It doesn't just stop there. If creatine is added to a solid training protocol, individuals have the ability to improve their overall strength and body composition. Full clinical dose as well.

- Citrulline malate (2.77 grams): It has the ability to increase nitric oxide production, allowing your blood vessels to expand and dilate. This ingredient in itself has many benefits such as aiding in shuttling nutrients to the working muscles, promoting healthy energy levels, and improving blood flow.

- aAKG (2 grams): Standard pre-workout dose is 3 to 6 g. Outdated nitric oxide booster, most companies have moved to agmatine.

- Taurine (1.5 grams): Taurine is known for its nootropic effect and its ability to increase blood flow when exercising plus it can aid various anti-oxidant defense systems.

- Beta-Alanine (1.5 grams): It has been shown to not only improve recovery time and muscle endurance but also delay fatigue, worth saying it's around half the clinical dose (3.2 grams) and also not Carnosyn B-Alanine.

- Magnesium citrate (480 mg): Magnesium is an essential dietary mineral and the second most prevalent electrolyte in the human body. Magnesium deficiencies are common in developed countries. A deficiency increases blood pressure, reduces glucose tolerance and causes neural excitation.

- Caffeine (300 mg): Caffeine is a powerful stimulant and it can be used to improve physical strength and endurance. It is classified as a nootropic because it sensitizes neurons and provides mental stimulation

- Pine bark extract (150 mg): Pine Bark Extract is investigated for its general health and anti-diabetic properties and its ability to enhance Nitric Oxide,

I would have loved if they had added more beta-alanine to the mix (around 2 grams total would be alright for a single serving) and a different form of long-lasting caffeine but that always comes down to personal preferences.

There are currently two flavors available: watermelon and Blue Raspberry. I got blue raspberry and the flavor is fantastic, tastes like those blue, frozen ice creams, not overly sweet or strong yet smooth and really refreshing.

Mixability is good, no residues left on the bottom of the shaker cup. However, It does foam a bit given the amount of BCAAs in there.

Dosing is 1 scoop pre-workout BUT 1 scoop does NOT get you 20 grams of product, after using a scale to test it, the result was that 1 full scoop equals 13 to 14 grams of product, so you have to use 1 scoop and about a quarter more to get the full serving.

As a European I have always felt "cheated" by our local supplement companies; the competition isn't that strong, most of their formulas are generally under-dosed, overpriced or certain ingredients are banned and can't be produced and/or manufactured here. Most of the time I'd have to buy the "good stuff" from American websites and even then, the chances of getting effective products would decrease given the shipping costs and problems involving customs. It's nice seeing a product like this one being European based, tho I still think the price is the issue, but we'll get to that later.

When it comes down to effectiveness, I like to break down the effects in different categories:

- Muscle power and endurance: As I said in one of my last reviews; even though the beta alanine falls a bit short when we compare it with the clinical dose it works well in conjunction with the full dose of creatine, I usually like to take my creatine both before and after my workout (generally 2.5 grams before and 2.5 after) but this time I didn't add it to my stack just so I could test how this product really performed and I'm happy with the results thus far. Bulking + creatine does wonders when paired together and this product did not disappoint in this regard. Muscle endurance was nothing to write home unless I paired it with a beta-alanine based product, however.

- Energy: Hits fast, it's long lasting and made me experience no crash afterward. I commented before that they've yet to disclose the type of caffeine they're using but I'd assume it's just anhydrous. One detail I noticed was that the more I trained the more energy I'd get, this may be from the magnesium + caffeine combo which would be interesting to test further in future occasions.

- Focus: Besides the caffeine-induced focus there're not that many focus ingredients here so I can't really say I felt anything special.

- Pumps: Solid pumps all around and noticeable vascularity. Even though each ingredient doesn't hit the clinical mark, when you add them up you get a good amount of nitric oxide boosters (a bit shy of 5 grams.)

- Recovery: I don't usually add this category to pre-workout reviews but since the product has 5 grams of BCAAs I'd like to point out that it added with recovery. I'm a fan of training first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and I used to take a standalone BCAA product, but it was not needed anymore while I was testing this one.

I'm really torn with this one. According to the website, it's 30 British pounds for 20 servings, which is a decent price for a well-dosed pre-workout BUT when you change the currency in the website it goes up to 63 dollars for 20 servings which is just ridiculous (at this exact time 30 British pounds equal around 38 US dollars)

Now, If I rate it based on American dollars, each serving would cost 3.15 bucks BUT if I rate it based on British pounds, given that it's a British company, each serving would cost 1.5 pounds. Not bad given that you wouldn't need to buy a BCAA product or creatine to pair it with.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Clean source of long-lasting energy with no crash, muscle power, and BCAAs that makes this product one of the best European-made pre-workouts in the market.
  • Blue raspberry: 8/10