ProCharge Liquid Protein Reviews

By: Suncoast Health Brands

Protein > Other Protein
ProCharge Liquid Protein is an Alternative Protein Supplement manufactured by Suncoast Health Brands. It provides additional dietary proteins that can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.
6.7

May 29, 2016

• Easy To Mix
  • Easy To Cary

Special thanks to Suncoast Health for participating in the SR Troops program.

ProCharge breakdown 10/10
    * 40 grams of protein per 2 oz bottle -- 20 grams of protein per serving
    * Contains all BCCAs (Branch Chain Amino Acids)
    * 0 Carbohydrates
    * 0 Sugar
    * 0 Fat
    * Gluten Free
    * Lactose Free
    * Non-GMO
    * No artificial flavors
    * 80 calories per serving

Taste was spot on, I thought it wasn't going to taste good.
    Fierce Fruit Punch 8/10 - Taste like Kool Aid
    Citrus Swag 7/10 - Not bad at all, refreshing
    Lemon Lime Zest 8/10 - Wasn't expecting a great taste from this one but it was the most refreshing of all of them.
    Bold Black Cherry 6/10 - My least favorite one, too strong.

Mixability 10/10

Really easy to mix just squeeze half or the full bottle to your preferred drink and shake or stir.

Is really hard to measure the effectiveness of a protein drink. What I can tell is that I didn't have any stomach issue. For the recovery dept I think this product is not gear toward recovery on the gym is more like supplement your daily needs during the day. The way that I use it was during work out the first two bottles. Now I was using Super Carb intra and having protein before work out I didn't see the need for using this intra, I think the protein source is not the best for that purpose. Now the way I use it was with my daily water intake I fill a 64oz water container and seep trough the day.

This is where the product gets a hit at around 3.99 per bottle seem a little high but if you compared to a RTD protein it goes hand to hand. A RTD can cost you around 3.99 to 4.99 or more. What stands out from Procharge is the convenience, you can use only half of it and safe the rest. Now I just give 6/10 to this product because I don't buy RTD.

Side Effects

No side effects

Conclusion

This a versatile protein drink gear more for people on the run, it reminds me a lot the Amino 2222 from ON but in a small bottle. I thinks is not the first attempt for liquid protein think about Amino 2222, Liquid whey vials, LiquaCel protein and others. Really good if you are hiking, running bike, running or doing any activity outside and needs to constantly hydrate. Not a bad approach and I may grab one over a RTD once in a while if they become more available.
    • Bold Black Cherry: 6/10
    • Citrus Swag: 7/10
    • Lemon Lime Zest: 8/10
    • Fierce Fruit Punch: 8/10

April 23, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Convenient
    • Taste A Deal Breaker

A new company with a product that seemed interesting on paper. Thought id grab it and see how it went, ill try any kind of gimmick to switch up how I get my protein so lets see how Suncoast Health stacked up to other forms.

20 grams of hydrolyzed collagen and whey protein isolate, pretty straight forward with the collagen source supposed to help with bone, joint and cartilage health, and then WPI for an easily digestible source that ive always favored for muscle building.

I read everybody else's reviews to see if I was the only one that found the taste to be really bad. The only flavor I found that I could halfway enjoy was the black cherry. I will say the smell of all the flavors is quite pleasant but the flavor and texture if taken straight was very hard for me to handle.
    Mixing with a bottle of water was easy enough being that its already liquid. As far as dosing goes I mixed it up, but split most of the bottles into 2 servings.

With the added collagen they make the claims that this helps with several functions along with what a normal protein shake would. While on this I didn't notice any difference in the feeling of my joints, bones, hair and skin, or nail health. The muscle recovery aspect after workouts was there I felt like it was on par with other protein supps as far as soreness and recovery goes. Now to me the most important aspect of proteins and what separates the good from the bad to me. How my stomach handles it from a digestive stand point and from an immediate reaction standpoint. As far as digestion goes I found this to be easy enough on my insides, I never had any bad bloat or protein farts. Now as far as the immediate reaction that is a different story, usually I try to take my Isolate sources around the end of my workout. Im exhausted and usually not feeling great. When I would take this the immediate taste and consistency made me nauseous and almost every time id have to sit in the car and gather myself and focus on holding it down.

$4 a bottle or $2 a serving for 20grams of protein is very high to me when you can get on average 30 servings of quality 25-28gram servings from other brands for about 1.25-1.50 a serving. Taking into account the convenience makes a little difference, but it just depends on how much being able to squirt this into your mouth/water bottle as a liquid matters to you as opposed to using a powder. Even at a fairly steep sale I don't think I would spend my money on this product.

Side Effects

Slight Nausea after drinking

Conclusion

I wanted to like the product and the idea was intriguing. Some of the others liked the taste and felt the price and performance fell short. For me I had a lot of trouble with the taste more than any other aspect and felt the performance was average. Not everybody will dig the taste of a product and unfortunately for me that was the deal breaker here. Thanks to Suncoast for sending this out to me and the TROOPS.
    • Bold Black Cherry: 6/10
    • Citrus Swag: 3/10
    • Fierce Fruit Punch: 3/10
    • Lemon Lime Zest: 2/10

April 9, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Convenient
    • Good For Joints
    • Not Good For Muscles

Hello SR! Here to provide my two cents on this liquid protein supplement. First I would like to thank Suncoast Health Brands for sending the product for review, and the SR TROOPs program for making the connection possible. I agree with other reviewers on the protein aspect for muscle support/gains with this product, and it not really helping much, which I cover in the effectiveness section. However, I based my rating for the reason why I chose this product since it contains hydrolyzed collagen. Protein is for muscle AND bone health.

Collagen is the largest protein source within our bodies, so seeing this ingredient made me think of adding support to my worn down knee joints. Since collagen is a protein, an abundant protein, it has plenty of amino acids. Hydrolyzed collagen has been researched to help prevent bone loss due to aging, but not enough evidence is known when it comes to healthy individuals training. Found a related study:

I'm not a big fan of things containing dyes since these are not things our bodies are intended to digest. I expect better from brands containing the word "health". Anyways, the two primary ingredients are hydrolyzed collagen and whey protein isolate; both of which are protein that do not distinguish how many grams derive from each source of protein. That's basically the ingredient content. Everything else is for preservation and flavor. Note to anybody wondering, this does contain milk.

The taste was not really too bad since I was expecting it. This is noted as being the first protein based liquid supplement, but back in 2007 during deployment to Iraq I remember purchasing liquid protein in tubes that tasted like crap, so not really sure why this is stated as being new...the point of me saying that is the supplement tasted like the other liquid protein, but less was needed so it was bearable.

This mixed well with water and juice. I added it to a protein shake I made to add in the collagen based protein and it tasted terrible. Don't do this.

Dosing is 2 tablespoons, or squeeze until you see the liquid reach the squiggly line on the side of the bottle. The line was difficult to distinguish though, so a suggestion would be to allow more of the liquid to be seen for better dosing accuracy.

My effectiveness rating is based off of this supplement for joint and bone health since I chose it for that reason, but I'll start off with the supplement in terms of muscle recovery, repair, and lean gains. This liquid protein is not as effective in this department. This is when you can tell the differences in effects from protein sources, and leads me to believe there is more collagen protein than whey isolate. For a week I used this for post recovery protein intake and I noticed significant decreases in muscle recovery and basically was a lot more sore than usual. When I switched back to my whey protein isolate I felt much better. The other 5 bottles I used this liquid protein in the morning and evening times.

Okay, on to the focus of my review. My joints are pretty worn down after being in the infantry and construction while eating a poor diet and pounding monsters. Stupid choices lead to future pains - at least for my body. While using this liquid protein one bottle a day I noticed my joints felt "lubricated" and didn't hurt as much doing pushing and pulling movements. My finger joints didn't hurt very much either and they have been annoyingly acting up like I have arthritis recently.

The value wasn't very pleasing to see. I received the 12 pack, so my value is based off of theirs. I couldn't find this anywhere else but on their website for $47.88 for a pack of 12 bottles. Not sure if you get to choose flavors or not when buying. The price shown is $3.99 per bottle that contains 2 dosages of 20g's of protein. That's pretty pricey because for muscle benefits I didn't seem to notice anything, and for joint/bone health I can pay cheaper for quality joint support supplements. Just not a good price for me to purchase.

Side Effects

None to report

Conclusion

All-in-all not too bad of a supplement. If you want something for your joints and bones then I'd recommend this or another brand carrying hydrolyzed collagen protein. But for muscle support save your money. Something about this doesn't allow proper recovery when taken post workout. I might as well just eat a couple of eggs instead. Thanks again for allowing me to review your product Suncoast Health Brands.
    • Bold Black Cherry: 7/10
    • Citrus Swag: 6/10
    • Lemon Lime Zest: 5/10

Overall
    Overall
    4.5
    4.7
    4.3
      April 5, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Convenient

A special thanks to Suncoast Health for the chance to try out ProCharge Liquid Protein. In a nutshell, ProCharge is a liquid preparation of protein designed to give you 20g of protein per serving with a total of 40g per bottle, along with dose of BCAAs. We all know that protein and aminos are essential to muscle growth and recovery. They are also essential in supporting good general health. In today's market we've got plenty of protein products in different forms ranging from old fashioned powders, bars, and even candies. RTD's are also increasingly common, but when it comes to quick liquid prep shots like ProCharge, these tend to be an interesting yet more convenient way to get in a quick protein fix.

Each bottle, regardless of flavor, contains a prop blend that consists of 20g of a combination of two protein sources per serving:
    Hydrolyzed Collagen and Whey Protein Isolate

The 20g is dosed at a measurement of two tablespoons as noted by the company with two servings per bottle.

These two protein types are said to be the most bioavailable sources. Hydrolyzed Collagen in general is best noted for providing the body with the raw materials needed for healthy bone, joints, and skin. While that may sound great, it is not the best option for muslce growth and support due to its lacking in essential amino acids. The whey protein isolate is better suited for that. With a prop blend though, there is no way of knowing how much of each protein you're getting.

The variety pack that I received contained the following flavors:

Lemon Lime Zest
    Citrus Swag
    Bold Black Cherry
    Fierce Fruit Punch

I found all of them to be quite tasty. The consistency of the liquid is thick but not so much that you find it incapable of swallowing it straight up or mixing it in a beverage. Each flavor also has the right amount of tartness and sweetness, with a pleasant aroma to compliment the flavor. Interesting to note that there is a natural flavor as well, which I would assume is tasteless, but I don't know that for sure since that wasn't included.

When I would mix the preparation in water or a sports drink, it mixed well and added a good touch up to the flavor if I used a sports drink. There were times where I would just drink the liquid straight from the bottle. It was like eating one of those old school liquid candy jolly ranchers. It was actually pretty tasty straight from the bottle. Just be sure you've got a beverage handy because it can leave your mouth feeling a bit dry and sticky. The company also notes that you could drizzle it on food, but I never found a proper time where I would eat something that a procharge would compliment the taste of what I was eating.

In terms of dosing, I always used a full bottle, never half a one. This does reduce the number of servings you are supplied with, but it all depends on your protein needs. I usually dosed a bottle in the morning with my first meal. A couple of times I took it in the evening following my last meal. Like all protein products, when and how you take it is really a personal preference.

Before any user gauges effectiveness of this product, a question arises:

"Am I using a protein supplement for basic muscle anabolism support, or more of a bone, skin, joint supplement?"

As I mentioned before, hydrolyzed collagen is the premier protein source in these protein servings, along with a prop mix dose of whey protein isolate. Hydrolyzed collagen is indeed highly bioavailable, but unless your supplement goal is more geared towards helping to support muscle growth and recovery, then you may be disappointed. Hydrolyzed collagen's benefits in this area is questionable mainly due to its amino acid profile make up that would be considered as an incomplete protein source for muscle tissue reparation. Again, it does have whey protein isolate, but the amount is not disclosed.

At any rate, here is my overview of the efficacy. As far as convenience goes, Procharge definitely earns points here since it's essentially a RTD source that is readily available for consumption without any prior preparations to be made. As far as muscle growth and support go, which was my reason for giving the product a try, I'd say it falls short. General powdered protein supplements help me meet my macro needs and most of the time give me a noted boost in the muscle recovery department. Procharge on the other hand, did little to address this as I found barely any additional real benefits to its use.

For joint, bone, and health benefits, I'll say that my joints did feel more lubricated and less ached for general exertion. Skin also looked a bit better, but I would attribute this to the beef collagen peptides products I was also using in conjunction. Couldn't really tell if their were bone benefits as I've never had any real bone related problems.

In the end, the product doesn't deliver in a similar manner as general whey does for me.

Procharge is apparently not yet widely available. After researching for prices, it appears that the product is only available through Suncoast Health's own website. One bottle goes for 3.99 while a variety pack of 12 goes for about 48 dollars. With a price tag like that and for the lack of benefits, I believe it is more of a wise choice to just stick with one of today's protein powder supplements.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, Procharge has potential for what it is and is a winner in the convenience department as far as supplementation goes. However, given that the protein source used primarily benefits other areas other than muscle growth more often, I would be much more inclined to simply stick to investing in a good traditional protein powder. Again, Procharge is not complete bust or waste, but some major tweaks need to be made while maintaining the convenience factor. Having a higher quantity of whey isolate or other "more complete anabolic" protein source would most definitely be an improvement to be considered. Lower cost options for buying wouldn't hurt either.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!

GO RED SOX!!!
    • Bold Black Cherry: 8/10
    • Lemon Lime Zest: 7/10
    • Citrus Swag: 7/10

Overall
    Overall
    4.8
    4.5
      April 3, 2016

Cons:

As a person that is always on the go at work I am always looking for healthy alternatives for protein and food sources to fuel me somewhat healthily when I usually only have time and access to whatever I can put in my pocket or drink so I go through a lot of Ostrim and Quest bars for the most part. I was really excited to try this product out and I want to thank Suncoast Health Brands for sending me 12 bottles of Procharge to try out.

Each serving size is measured as 2 Tablespoons with two servings per bottle. Each serving consists of 20g of protein and a tiny bit of phosphorus, sodium, and potassium. There isn't a specific amount of each protein, but Hydrolyzed Collagen and Whey Protein Isolate are to two forms of protein listed in the profile.

Dosing was easy, although, on the go with the wrapper around the bottle it was hard to try to dose half a bottle at a time because it was sort of an ambiguous gel. It mixed fairly well, sometimes leftover goop in the bottom of the bottle if I didn't add enough water. There were four different flavors, Bold Black Cherry, Lemon Lime Zest, Citrus Swag, and Fierce Fruit Punch. I found all of the flavors to be pretty good except for the Citrus Swag. It just wasn't a strong enough flavor and it tastes like old chocolate protein water. Bold Black Cherry was a solid 7 with a good strong Black Cherry Taste, Lemon Lime Zest was also good and a 7, as was Fierce Fruit Punch. The only standout was that these flavors were palatable but not very refreshing. I actually preferred to just drink this straight from the bottle. No muss no fuss.

As far as a convenience factor is involved this product is great. I can add it to my water bottle or just keep it in my pocket and take a squirt here and there. My biggest question and challenge was in terms of the Hydrolyzed Collagen. Suncoast Health Brands says that Hydrolyzed Collagen is the most bioavailable form of protein. More than WPI, Casein, ect. Now my biggest problem with this is that while it is highly bioavailable, it is also not advised to be used at more than 10g a day as a Protein Supplement (for muscle gain and fat loss) due to having less efficacy than other protein sources and a lacklustre amino acid profile (examine.com).

So this product has high bioavailability for the benefits of joints, hair, and nails but if you are looking for a protein supplement this is not the type of protein you should focus on for this because it lacks the amino acid profile for muscle building and fat loss. All in all I think this makes this product sort of a swing and a miss. It is marketed as the type of protein to supplement your protein needs but is mainly good for the other "benefits" such as skin elasticity, nails, joints, ect.

But what about the Whey Protein Isolate? Well honestly you could either have 1 gram of that or up to 10 grams but that's really a gamble when you only get 20 grams per serving and the WPI is listen second on the ingredient profile.

The only place I could find this product was from the Suncoast Health website where they charge 3.99 for a single bottle containing 40g protein and 47.88 for a 12 pack so you really don't even get a discount for buying in bulk. IMO even if this was the holy grail of protein products I would not be willing to pay $1/10 grams of protein.

Side Effects

Conclusion

With the debate in my mind as to the true bioavailability of Hydrolyzed Collagen as a true protein source and the ratio of Hydrolyzed Collagen to Whey Protein Isolate I can't say I am comfortable consistently spending money on this product, especially with the feeling that the Collagen is the majority of the "protein" source leaving a minority share for the WPI. This along with the price in general would have me shy away from this product in the future.
      • Bold Black Cherry: 7/10