Sustainall 10:1:1 BCAAs Reviews

By: Strike First Nutrition

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Sustainall 10:1:1 BCAAs is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Strike First Nutrition. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

May 3, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Hydration
  • Not Consistent In Reducing Doms
Introduction:

Thank you to the SR Troops program and StrikeFirst Nutrition to try their Sustainall BCAA product. BCAA's are a staple product for me, which I always consume intra workout and once a day on rest days. Some BCAA products I can literally feel working, whether it's an decrease in recovery time or a decrease in muscle soreness. For the one's that I do not noticeably feel, I hope they have some underlying benefit to them.

I have been fine with the standard 2:1:1 ratio, however, lately I am noticing more physical effects when the Leucine dosage is at a higher ratio.

Also, I want a BCAA product that tastes decent, there is nothing worse than busting your butt in the gym and drinking something that tastes horrible

Why I picked this product:

BCAA's are a staple for me and I wanted to try a new brand of BCAA just to mix it up and add to my go to BCAA products.

There's two prop blends in this product. I am on the other side of the coin when it comes to prop blends, as I see no issue with companies protecting their product recipe.

There's 9 grams of the Lean Building & Recovery Blend:

10:1:1 ratio of L-leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine) with L-glutamine

Vitamin & Mineral-Electrolyte & Balance Blend 752 mg:

B12, D, C, Magnesium, Sodium, Potassium, B6

A little more than what can be found in a standard 2:1:1 BCAA product.

Taste 8/10:

The taste was pretty good. I had the tropical berry flavor. I wouldn't say it tasted like Kool Aid though, it was definitely a tropical berry flavor which wasn't too sweet and was quite enjoyable.

Mixability 8/10:

No issues here when consumed in a shaker. No issues with floaters or residue, it seemed the product fully dissolved.

Dosing:

I mixed one scoop with 24 ounces of water in a shaker and consumed during my workouts, on workout days and once a day on rest days.

Effectiveness 6/10:

The product didn't blow me away, however, there were some noticeable positive effects that I would like to point out.

Hydration 9/10:

While consuming this product, I didn't feel the need to drink what I would normally consume during the day, in terms of powerade zero, water, tea etc. I just felt more hydrated, which was a plus. As compared to other BCAA products, this rated very highly in this category for me, based on my experience.

Muscle Soreness 5/10:

Hit or miss here for me. There was a few leg days where I felt the product had noticeable reduced muscle soreness and a few leg days where I was sore as hell. In general, for 30 days of consumption, muscle soreness reduction varied, about 50/50 in all. I am not sure if this was a result of the BCAA's, sodium, potassium, L-glutamine or the higher ration of L-Leucine.

The product wasn't consistent enough for me in the reduction of muscle soreness category to say this was a solid product.

Recovery 3/10:

I cannot say that I noticed any recovery benefits from this product at all. Each day on the product seemed the same, no increase in endurance while training or increased recovery on a rest day.

Value 5/10:

As of this review, the product is only available on the Strike First Nutrition website at $49.99 a tub. That's $1.66 per serving, which is a bit steep for me to consider, based on the above experience. Thinking the price will drop once it becomes more widely available on other online retailer sites. There are additional ingredients in the product, but not nearly enough to say this is even good value.

Side Effects:

Conclusion 6/10:

A decent BCAA, definitely not bad or the worst. A middle of the road product that had one area which shined for me. Hydration was the high point for me, recovery and reduction of muscle soreness were some hit, and miss respectively. The price is very high for what I didn't experience and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't consider buying at $49.99 a pop. Hoping the price comes down.
  • Tropical Berry : 8/10

April 29, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Improves Recovery
In an amino market that is over-saturated with products from every single company that pops up overnight, it is becoming increasingly difficult for these companies to formulate an amino product that stands out above all others. As such, it simply becomes a matter of identifying with one brand more than another and sticking with their amino. Sustainall touts a 10:1:1 ratio of Leucine to Isoleucine and Valine as being superior to other ratios, such as the tried and true 2:1:1 ratio, so is it really that much different? Let's check it out.

Ingredient Profile: (8.5/10)

This is a nice looking amino on paper. 9g of total aminos per serving, including the aforementioned big 3 in a 10:1:1 ratio along with some Glutamine and HICA. These all serve to help improve recovery and protein synthesis, which is the main purpose of a product like this.

They also included an electrolyte and vitamin/mineral blend, which is always nice to see to help improve intra-workout hydration.

Taste/Mixing: (6/10)

The flavor was Tropical Berry. I personally didn't care for this flavor one way or another and would be happy to see other selections in the future. No problems with mixing in terms of excess foam or sediment. Good job.

Effectiveness: (7.8/10)

This was a solid BCAA product. As I said in the intro, it's hard for a BCAA product to stand out above the rest when there really isn't much innovation to be had. As far as Sustainall goes, this provided for me what every good to great BCAA in the past has, and that's a noticeable increase in recovery, decrease in DOMs, and a little bit of help in hydration. If you're asking for more from a BCAA than these 3 aspects, then you're asking way too much in my opinion, and you need to lower your expectations of what a product like this could and should do for you.

Value: (6/10)

This is too expensive, plain and simple. Currently only available directly through the Strike First website to the extent of my knowledge, the asking price is $50 for 30 servings, working out to $1.66 which is way more than comparable BCAA products already available. This isn't that much better than others that it would warrant paying such a premium, so hopefully it becomes more widely available soon and helps to lower the price.

Overall: (7/10)

A solid 7 out of 10 that could easily have been more if not for the premium price. As it stands, I wouldn't purchase this on my own unless the price comes down pretty significantly. Otherwise, this was a fine BCAA product that could hold its own to the plethora of others currently available.
  • Tropical Berry : 6/10

6.2
  April 7, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Improves Recovery
  • Tasty
  • Reduces Muscle Cramps
  • Blends

First and foremost I want to thank Strikefirst Nutrition and SR for the chance to try this BCAA product. I am a firm believer in the 2:1:1 ratio for a BCAA product and never felt the need to stray from products other than those containing that ratio. With that being said, I was always intrigued by BCAA's that had 10:1:1ratio or a ratio other than your typical 2:1:1. When I saw this product become available to the SR Troopers I decided it was time I put my big boy pants on and venture out of my 2:1:1 safe zone and be a risk taker.

The ingredients are broken down into two prop blends. I can rant about why I do not like prop blends but I am not going to waste time doing that. The first blend is the Lean Building and Recovery Blend that comes in at 9 grams. Contained in these 9 grams is a 10:1:1 ratio of Leucine (10), Isoleucine (1) and Valine (1). Also included in this blend is Glutamine and Alpha-Hydroxy-Isocaproic Acid (HICA). I was intrigued to see if a 10:1:1 ratio of BCAA's would provide better results than your typical 2:1:1 ratio. I like the fact that they have HICA in here since it has anti-catabolic properties and helps reduce DOMS. The second blend is a Vitamin and Mineral-Electrolyte and Balance Blend. This blend comes in at 752mg. Included are vitamins B6, B12, C and D and also contains magnesium, sodium and potassium. I would like to see the actual breakdown of the 10:1:1 ratio.

The taste was great. I had the Tropical Berry flavor and I agree with the others who said this tasted like Kool-Aid. I couldn't wait to drink this during my workouts. I had no issues with mixability or any problems with it dissolving. It did have a little foam which is common with BCAA products but it disappeared within 10 seconds or so after shaking. I mixed one scoop with around 20 ounces of water and sipped on it intra-workout. I am eager to see what other flavors they come out with in the future.

This product was effective. I cannot say I noticed anything that was any more or less effective than other top tier BCAA's I have used in the past with a 2:1:1 ratio with respect to recovery but it did do what I expected of it which is aide in recovery and reduce DOMS. The one thing I want to mention before I dive into the recovery and hydration discussion is the fact that while taking this, I had next to zero muscle cramps. I used to wake up in the middle of the night with leg and back cramps or at times I cramp up post workout in the forearm and hand areas but this was definitely one of the benefits that stood out to me. I do not believe this was the Lean Building and Recovery Blend but rather the Electrolyte and Balance Blend. I drink around a gallon of water per day and I hit my potassium goals through diet so not sure what exactly helped my body with the reduced cramps. There is potassium included in the Electrolyte Blend but not sure it is enough to stop the muscle cramps all together. As far as recovery and DOMS goes, I felt it did a solid job. This was most noticeable on leg days as it is with most of the BCAA's I take. This helped me get through cardio (treadmill) after pushing it hard on leg days. The workout split I am currently in is very intense on my arms (3x per week) and can lead to fatigue especially in my tricep muscles. I was able to keep up with working arms 3 times per week and did not experience any setbacks while taking this supplement. This was also good for hydration and helping push me through my workouts. I would notice that halfway through my workouts (10 ounces into my intra drink) I would need to release thy bladder and then again within 10 minutes upon finishing the remaining 10 ounces. I will give a thumbs up in the recovery and hydration department. Double thumbs up for reducing muscle cramps to almost nothing. I enjoyed drinking this during my workouts.

This is the area where I do have the most issue. I could only find this available on Strikefirst's website. This is priced at $49.99 for 30 servings which comes out to $1.66 per serving. I'm sure in the future as more sites carry this product the price will come down. I understand there is more Leucine in this than other BCAA's but for the everyday consumer I am not sure if they are willing to pay for it.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I believe Strikefirst Nutrition has a good BCAA product in Sustainall. It has a great taste and it was effective in recovery, hydration and reducing muscle cramps. I also think once the price comes down on this, more people will give it a try and have a positive experience as I did. I would also like to see them get rid of the prop blends and show us exactly how much of each ingredient is dosed. Strikefirst has my attention with this product and once the price comes down I would like to use this again.
  • Tropical Berry : 9/10

6.3
  April 5, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improves Recovery
  • Tasty

HUGE shoutout to First Strike Nutrition for supplying SR with Sustainall! I never really got into aminos until I started to use them. Personally I felt like it was just fancy flavored water the were not necessary, but I have changed my ways and now feel like I can't live without them for the past year. Sustainall was the real deal.

Typically we see BCAA products with the 2:1:1 ratio, so when I saw that Sustainall was 10:1:1 I was confused initially, not going to lie. The breakdown is leucine, valine, and isoleucine. This is the first of 2 blends that make up Sustainall at 9g. The next blend we have is the electrolyte balancing blend consisting of several minerals. Really not much to talk about for the second blend in my opinion, nothing crazy with the B6, B12, potassium etc. Due to this supplement being a blend, we do not exactly know how much of each ingredient we are receiving, but once you get to the effectiveness portion of this review you will see how I really feel about it.

Taste

I received the tropical berry flavor. I believe this is the only flavor it comes in at the moment. So the taste is absolutely incredible. It isn't too overpowering yet not watered down in any way. Honestly, it's like Kool-Aid on steroids in my opinion. No matter how much water I used it delivered a rich taste.

Mixability

No matter how much water I used, there was always some foaming at the top. Also, some of the powder would settle on top and not dissolve. I would let my shake sit there for a minute or two and then re-shake it. After the second time around it dissolved nicely, no settlement on top and no foaming.

This was dosed as an intra workout drink on workout days. On non-training days I used this either as a morning drink to help replenish the next morning and help me recover throughout the day. A few times (3-4) I just dumped 1 scoop into my 3L jug and sipped on it all day long (even 1 scoop in 3L of water the taste was rich, which I was extremely surprised). When used as an intra or morning shake I dumped 1 scoop into 12-18oz of water.

While taking Sustainall I was never truly felt fatigued or sore to the point where working out was not possible the next day. On occasion I will push a training day back 1 day if I feel my muscles needed an extra days rest before pushing myself in the gym and not getting in a good workout. This was not the case while taking Sustainall. I also feel that it helped push me through workouts whereas it aided in my endurance. Typically I would be burnt out at the end of my lifts but I still had some left in the tank afterwards and do a couple extra sets just to feel satisfied, just a few, nothing crazy like another 45 minutes added to my workout. So overall I felt a decrease in my muscle soreness, which led to having less recuperation time during sets and the day after. I was a little skeptical with the 10:1:1 ratio but it proved to be effective, at least with my body.

This can be found on Strike First's website for $49.99, which seems pretty steep for 30 servings of a BCAA product. I think if you stop, take a step back and reevaluate the ingredient profile and compare it to other products, there are other options to consider. Did I like the product? Absolutely loved it. Would I spend $50 a month on this? Sadly, no. This is where Sustainable takes a dive for me.

Side Effects

No side effects.

Conclusion

Sustainall provided an incredible taste, reduced soreness, and an overall pleasant experience. If this was more affordable (for others it may be within their budget), I would pick it up again in a heartbeat. I'd totally make this my go to BCAA, I just cannot justify spending $50 on it monthly. I would be highly interested in seeing what other flavors Strike First comes out with, I feel like no matter what flavor they go with next, it will be a huge hit.
  • Tropical Berry : 10/10

March 31, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduced Fatigue
  • Versatile
  • Improves Recovery
  • Blends

A special thanks to Strike First Nutrition for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss their BCAAs product, Sustainall. Branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) are a fundamental supplement inclusion to many of our regimen as BCAAs are essential to muscle anabolism support. I've used quite a few throughout my years primarily for energy, endurance, and improved recovery. Though, most often I enjoy them best as part of my post-workout supplement routine.

There are two blends in Sustainall. Setting aside my general disliking in blends, the first blend is the lean building and recovery blend dosed at 9g. This blend consists of a 10:1:1 ratio of the bcaas leucine, valine, and isoleucine. There is also the addition of glutamine and HICA. Again, not a fan of the blend since you don't know the exact dosage of each ingredient, but the profile of the blend itself looks solid with these ingredients.

The second blend is the vitamin and mineral electrolyte balancing blend at 752mg. This blend includes vitamins B-12, D, nd C along with some added magnesium, potassium, and vitamin B6. I didn't care much for this blend since I supplement my electrolytes from other sources. Still, an addition never hurt, just needs to be accurately dosed.

I enjoyed the tropical berry flavor quite a bit. Not too sweet and it had a refreshing smoothness to it. The product's mixed well in water and sprots drinks without any undissolved grit or clumps.

While I've used amino acids at varying times, this one in particular I used solely for post workout supplementation since I thought the addition of HICA and L-glutamine would make the product more favorable during this time. I combined one scoop in either water or a sports drink and consumed immediately post workout. On non-training days, I downed a serving sometime in the evening on an empty stomach, most often prior to bedtime.

Sustainall did a great job improving my recovery time despite some doubts I had concerning the blends and under-dosing. Provided that I got in all of my necessary dietary intake goals and plenty of sleep, I had a lot less DOMS on both training days themselves and the proceeding mornings afterwards. I was less lethargic after my workouts and felt more recuperated and ready for the next training session on each proceeding day. Also had a little bit of a prolonged gym pump after my workouts, though this was not an overly significant benefits. Still, any increase in the post workout gym pump you get is welcomed.

Unless I overlooked in an area, the only place where you can buy Sustainall is through Strike First Nutrition's home website at 49.99 a tub. You do get a full 30 month supply, but given the price range for most other well-known BCAAs products with similar ingredients and supply per container, this is somewhat excessively high a price in my opinion. The product is effective to a admirable degree, but considering cheaper known options, this seems like an investment that would not be something I would be frequent on. Should it become more widely available, the price hopefully will come down.

Side Effects

Conclusion

In conclusion, while the price tag and use of blends are two notable flaws of this product, I feel that Sustainall is a BCAAs product definitely worth a try. It helps to enhance recovery and support anabolism in order to help ignite gains and keep that limiting DOMS and fatigue at bay. Just be sure to try to get it on sale.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!