Spartan Whey Reviews

By: Sparta Nutrition

Protein > Whey Protein
Spartan Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Sparta Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

June 12, 2018

• Micellar Casein
  • Curbs Hunger
  • Ideal Anytime
  • Grittiness

A top notch, fully transparent protein blend that serves justice, anytime! Just bitterly disappointed by bad taste and grittiness! Once this gets resolved (vanilla ice cream) then in my eyes it will be alot more complete.

Hi guys, here with a review on Sparta Nutritions' whey protein. Now I am a fan of whey - but a bigger fan of blends - especially fully transparent blends. The inclusion of micellar casein in this makes it very tempting to me since I prefer a diverse mix for gains. Sparta Nutrition is new to SA and I was keen to give them a try - even though it was pricey.

Supplement facts:

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33.5g)
Servings Per Container: 67

Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 1g
Protein 25.5g
Whey Protein Blend
Whey protein isolate 12.2g whey protein concentrate 13.1 micellar casin 6.0g, sunflower oil creamer 1.065mg astragin 25mg, sodium caseinate 100mg, tocopherols 100mg, lecithin 100mg
Flavoring, xanthum gum, 250mg, sucralose 60mh.

A very pleasant blend, fully laid out in detail what amount of what you are getting - not seen so often but I wish to see it more often. I really like the addition of astragin which maximizes absorption. All in all a very impressive low carb/fat protein blend that serves as anything you want it to be - post, pre bed time, am shake - pretty great! And did I mention NO amino spiking? Top marks here.

Taste

Vanilla Ice cream

bleh - is the best way to describe this. I had very high expectations here - since the flavors looked so good, naturally I chose the blueberry option but somehow the site never even carried that flavor - so it was the option of vanilla or chocolate ice cream. I was so confident it would taste good I jumped at a chance for vanilla ice cream but looking back at that option - it was a BIG mistake.

The taste is rather harsh, it is overly bitter and rather bland. It has a rather sweet chemical taste that I have to down it. This infact has a good thickness that isn't too watery or thick. I have never once drank it as I should have, which is unfortunate. Nowadays taste technology has jumped leaps and bounds - but this hasn't. One of the most cringing parts is the grittiness of this protein, it is pretty brutal and leaves a tickle in your throat.

Mixability

For all the grittiness this mixes surprisingly well, I normally vigorously shake this in a standard shaker bottle with a strainer and within a few seconds there's no chuncks or residue left behind.

1 scoop to 300ml of water or milk.
I generally have a scoop in the AM as my first meal, along with greens powder.

Firstly, using this a meal of sorts it's not so hard to judge its effectiveness. One thing that defiantly stands out is that its a hunger buster of sorts. I can go on for a good couple of hours and not feel any hunger - and that's on 1 scoop. I occasionally ventured into a double scoop when meals were few and far between. I felt this protein can work in any diet - being that the carb and fat content is low and the protein content high, its one of those proteins I could buy in the future, once the taste has been sorted and reformulated. I did find using Sparta whey in general my recovery was improved, but then again its hard to judge this aspect fully since there are so many factors at hand. A protein can only do so much, satisfying hunger and curbing appetite is one of factors I look to, lets not forget primarily the macros.

Another very good aspect was that I experienced no indigestion or stomach issues during my usage of this protein. Every whey/protein blend reacts in a certain way - some good or some bad.

This is real good, apart from the taste.

Prices do vary but an average price of around $55 dollars does seem to be the standard price - which equates to around $0.82. Here it costs around $72 which is a little over a dollar a serving which isn't bad considering its a blend fortified by a blend of whey and micellar - I didn't expect it to be cheap, it has worthy ingredients. I just whish the taste lived up to the bill, thats all.

Side Effects

Conclusion

A very GOOD product that really can be used anytime. This is Sparta Nutritions' first attempt at a protein powder and if this is anything to go by then I do really wish to see more products similar to this in the near future. I really feel like this protein was one of the most transparent blends I have used, its a good feeling to know exactly what your getting and whats inside each scoop! Protein powders have really come up in leaps and bounds, but in saying that - the taste and the excessive grittiness leaves alot to be desired... Sure it filled me up and is pretty decent value for money, but darn the taste really let me down! Other than that no complaints here.

Fridge
  • Vanilla ice cream: 5/10

9.3
  June 1, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Underwhelming Taste

This protein caused no issues but has an alright taste but a really great transparent profile.

I am not too big of a sparta nutrition fan. I have enjoyed their products for the most part. They seem to know how to make great flavors. I was drawn to the protein because of how transparent this label is and it had a new ingredient I never heard of in it.

I copy and pasted the profile. I think it is great to see how much each protein yields and know how much grams of sweetener is in this.

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (33.5g)
Servings Per Container: 67
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 1g
Protein 25.5g
Whey Protein Blend
Flavoring, cookis&cream flavor 500mg, xanthum gum, 250mg, sucralose 60mh.

Astragin is derived from panax noteginseng and astragalus membrenaceus. Astragin increases the absorption and hence the bioavailability of many essential and health promoting nutrients to all cells in the body.

Other Ingredients: None

I got cookies and cream flavor. It was a little disappointing to me because I was expecting this to be one of the best proteins I ever tried. It taste like how you would expect cookies and cream to taste but with less flavor. I got sick of the flavor halfway through the bottle.

I had no problems mixing this. Just a few shakes but if you leave it out for a few minutes then the cookies settle to the bottom so you may have to shake again if you slowly drink your protein.

I took one scoop preworkout and another scoop post workout.

As many will say it is hard to say how effective a protein is. I feel like for a protein the flavor and how it digests are what people want to know about. This did fill me up. This filled me up more than other proteins have. I would not even think about eating for a couple hours after taking this. This did not give me any digestive issues.

I paid $57 at a1supplements.com for this and it has 67 servings which is $0.85 a serving. I like when I can purchase products for less than $1.00 a serving.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This is a protein I would definitely recommend to anybody if they dont care about the taste and are looking for a great ingredient profile in their protein. If you want a great value and a tolerable flavored protein, this might be a good idea for you to get.
  • Cookies and cream: 6/10