Ranks #4 (better than 99%)
In: Pre-Workout > Stimulant

Kraken is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Sparta Nutrition. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.
ARTICLES

pionkej
  June 18, 2017

The goal with my reviews is to use a consistent format that is: to the point, provides context of how I used the product, and references what I'm personally comparing it to (see "Personal Rank" in Conclusion section).

Stats at time of use: 5-10, 180lbs, 15% BF

Routine at time of use: 4-day routine of upper (strength), lower (strength), upper (hypertrophy), lower (hypertrophy)

Supplement: Dose (Primary Purpose) *Special notes if applicable*
L-Citrulline: 4g (Pump)
Beta Alanine: 3.2g (Endurance/Tingling sensation)
Hydromax: 2g (Pump)
Taurine: 1g (Pump)
Agmatine: 1g (Pump)
NALT: 500mg (Endurance)
Eria Jarensis: 250mg (Focus)
Caffeine: 200mg (Energy)
DMHA: 200mg (Energy/Focus)
L-Norvaline: 100mg (Pump)
Niacin: 30mg (Flush sensation)
Vitamin B12: 1mg (Focus)

All dosages appear to be at or above the range where they provide performance enhancement (i.e. no "pixie dusting" the label). The only ingredient that hasn't been shown to provide appreciable performance enhancement is Niacin. Many PWO's include niacin because of the sensation it provides (much like beta alanine tingles), and this is because many PWO users want to FEEL that their supplement is working. I don't dismiss any products containing niacin, but it's not a selling point for me either.

Flavor: Sex on the Beach

Taste: Not great and was the only part I really didn't care for with this supplement. The actual taste is a bit hard to describe. It wasn't a bitter or sour flavor (like I find with many PWO), but it seemed very concentrated. When I made my purchase, SOTB was the only flavor available. I have read that the other flavors are much better tasting.

Mixability: Good but not perfect. I had a little foaming and a minor amount of settling when using the amount recommended on the label.
Dosing: Label recommends mixing with 8-10oz of water. I found mixing with as little water as possible (4oz) and taking it like a shot minimized foaming. Mixing it with around 16oz of water and sipping it worked best for flavor and also had reduced foaming.

Energy/Strength: 4.5/5

My energy on this supplement was good. At 200mg caffeine it's not the strongest I've had, but I still feel it kick in. I find a lot of PWO's jump straight to the 300mg level which is too much for those who are stim sensitive. To me caffeine is the easiest factor to augment because for $5 or so you can buy 100 caps of 200mg. You want 300mg here? Take PWO and a half cap. Want 400mg???? Two PWO and one cap.

Focus/Mood: 5/5 (Perfection)

Two wordslaser focus. I mean, I go into the gym, put on headphones, and everything but becomes a blur except me and task at hand. I attribute this attribute to the hefty doses of Eria Jarensis and DMHA and I absolutely love it!

Endurance: 4/5

There aren't a lot of ingredients in here specifically targeting endurance, but this is a case where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. In short, I was able to go strong for my whole lifting sessions and never saw performance drop off (either across sets or as I got further into the overall routine).

Pump/Vascularity: 4/5

As I get more into using pump products, I find some make your muscles feel fuller and some make your muscles feel so full its uncomfortable/painful (I'm assuming that's the "Skin splitting" in PWO advertising). I'd say Kraken gets you into "skin splitting" territory without having to cut your workout short from being uncomfortable. For me, that type of pump was perfect.

Cost at time of purchase: $30.00 ($1.50/serving)

I've found most PWO's that are actually effective land between $1 and $2 per serving. This is the most effective PWO I've ever purchased and it falls right in the middle. While the cost isn't low, I feel the value is high.

Side Effects

Jittery/nervousness: None
GI: None
Crash: None
Tolerance buildup: None*

*Possible in my opinion with prolonged use or if using more than 4x a week.*

Conclusion

I loved everything about this PWO except the taste. I definitely plan to buy again and I will try one of the newer flavor options if I do.

Personal PWO Rank:

-Sparta Nutrition-Kraken
-Vein Nutrition-Rupture
-Giant Sport-Giant Pump + Giant Rush
-Innovapharm-Limitless
-Performax Labs-Hypermax XT
-Benchmark*
-Jacked Factory-Altius
*Benchmark is my homemade PWO: ECA stack + creatine, beta alanine, vanilla protein, orange gatorade
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Intense Focus
  • Amazing Energy
  • Excellent Endurance
  • Fully Transparent
  • Clinically Dosed
  • Sex On The Beach: 6/10
bzyczek
TROOPer Level: 15
  June 1, 2017

Hello SR community, I'm a 39 year old gym rat that is always looking for that extra boost of energy to stay in the gym for at least two hours at a time. I've been trying all these different pre-workouts but none so far that had a stimulant other than coffee. Obviously reading about DMAA and DMHA I wanted to test it out on myself. When I noticed a bargain of buy 2 for 1 on Kraken I didn't hesitate and went ahead and bought it.

The first thing I'm happy to observe is that there is a full disclosure of ingredients that I like. I'm really against proprietary blends. I'm going to try to be simple about the ingredients for the novice. Most Bro's can just look at the names and amount and skip the explanations.

L-Citrulline 4g - Ahh the cornerstone of NO production. If you are not sure what this ingredient does you must have been living under a rock ;). This will help in NO production which in turn will help you with fatigue and endurance. Very logical since your muscles are getting more of the nutrients that it needs since your veins are getting larger. This is why you get to see them while you are working out. The amount is clinically dosed to what is recommended by most researchers, trainers and bro's ;), kudos.

Beta Alanine 3.2g - You will know this is in there because you will feel tingles and this "burning" sensation on your body. I usually feel it on my eye lids and ears .. usually on the soft skin ... My fiance feels it on her legs ... What this ingredient does is helps you with endurance. What it does for me personally it slows down that "burning" feeling on the muscle your are working on so that you can do that extra rep. You will know what I'm talking about when you do your shoulders on a product that has Beta Alanine. Anywhere you go online you will see that 3.2 grams is the sweet spot so kudos again to Sparta.

HydroMax Glycerol Powder (65%) 2g - This ingredient will help your muscles stay hydrated. Therefore, you will last longer (hehe) and it will help you with the pump. The amount is standard for most pre-workout so I'm assuming that is the sweet spot.

Taurine 1g - Overall Taurine will help you with blood flow. Obviously since you are going to work out and will need all that oxygen and nutrients going to your muscles you want that optimal blood flow. I think I'm repeating myself but the amount in this pre-workout is dosed at a sweet spot.

Agmatine Sulfate 1g - There is a lot to be said about abut this amine ... but to be quick and simple ... it's good for your brain and helps with NO. The amount that Sparts is giving you is the usual amount and it's probably the safest.

N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine (NALT) 500mg - This will help you at your weakest. I'm thinking it will help you not to feel tired after rigorous training. I'm assuming it will help you go that one set more. The half gram dosage is a little bit more than recommended so you should try to put your brain to stress ;)

Eria Jarensis Extract 250mg - This is a very mild DMAA ... what is DMAA you ask? Energy booster that works like caffeine but differently in your brain. Buttom line is that it should provide you with that extra energy. The dosage is highly recommended by most websites so kudos.

Caffeine 200mg - Good ol' 2 cups of coffee to spring you to life ... The fact that I'm already taking Eria Jarensis and DMHA, the smaller amount of caffeine is welcome.

2-amino-6-methylheptane HCL (DMHA) 200mg - This just like Eria Jarensis should provide you with that feeling of euphoria and energy. You should feel in 30 minutes like the world is your oyster and you can do anything :P. Pretty much it's exactly what you would like from a pre-workout ... to give you that feeling that you can lift a lot and for a very long time. The dosage of this ingredient is a bit higher than what people are recommending.

L-Norvaline 100mg - This will help raise the amount of NO your body can produce. What does it simply mean ... your veins will get bigger :P which in return will help your muscles. This has a clinical dosage.

I purchased the new watermelon rancher flavor and I must say I really enjoyed it. The taste did mimic the actual watermelon rancher perfectly. So if you ever had one you should know what to expect. This is not an easy task for any manufacturer since most pre-workout with citrulline taste awful. So personally I was really impressed with the taste and give it a big thumbs up.

As for a dosage I went straight to one spoon since I have already taken pre-workouts before. Also, I felt sure about the one spoon since 95% of the ingredients were clinically dosed. The only concern I would have is the over dosage of DMHA but I said to myself what the heck.

I put this in a glass with 8 oz couple of stirs and ready to drink. Weird white stuff floating all around not sure what it was but I had to put more water after I drank the glass and try to gather what is left and drink that too.

So this is where most of us go first ... does the pre-workout do the job. What I have experienced using Kraken is that it does a very good job on the NO. I'm not skinny and my veins do not pop up like other bro's at the gym. Although with Kraken I did see them more clearly .. at first I have to say it looks kind of scary but than I realized the benefits it has. So if your looking for a pre-workout that can really improve the NO you definitely should consider this product. The product does provide lots of energy and endurance ... I actually took this while going to two fitness classes (forgot the names) and played soccer after for 2 hours which was 4 hours total of physical strain. The first time I did this I ended up not sleeping through the night because my muscles were throbbing. I had to sit in a tub of hot water to relax them for a while. I don't think I would have lasted that long without the pre-workout. I had such DOMS the next day I barely walked thanks to the extra endurance I experience the day before ... I know it sounds bad but it's a good thing. The only thing that this product locked was the cognitive boost. I didn't feel that focus, euphoria or a feeling of well being like i get from other pre-workouts. That is very important to me personally because I have a tendency to whine a little ... You can't say that I'm not honest ...

I bought this at a bargain 2 for 1 sale ... so it came out to be 40$ for two tubes. This made it ideal 1$ per serving that I usually look for. Unfortunately, we can't all be that lucky so when you buy it at a regular price you would have to pay 35$ per tube which comes out to 1.75$ per serving - ouch. I looked around and one portal sells it for 32 which makes it 1.60$ per serving.

Side Effects

I didn't personally experience any myself. None of the crashes that others have reported. This could be due to that I am a big guy (230 pounds) which rarely goes in my favor.

Conclusion

This is a good pre-workout that I would recommend to anyone if it was on sale. While it being at a regular price ... I would say look around ... The euphoria from DMHA just wasn't there for me. I did like the energy levels and the endurance but I wasn't mentally ready so that was a big disappointment. I still think this is a high quality product but I'm not sure if I would put it in top 3 for me personally. I would put it in the top 3 for NO ... If that is what you are looking for and a bunch of energy than by all means ... go for it you won't be disappointed.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Clinically Dosed
  • Fully Transparent
  • Amazing Energy
  • Excellent Endurance
  • Great Flavor
  • A Bit Expensive
  • Lack Of Well Being
  • Watermelon Rancher: 8/10
deBruijn
TROOPer Level: 5
  May 31, 2017

After reading about Kraken on SR I was really eager to give it a try. The ingredient profile is great and Kraken is fairly priced when compared to similar ingredient profile pre workouts. Slight concerns about the DMHA, but decided to give it a try. Really curious how that would work out for me.

Kraken contains the usual suspects and proven pre workout ingredients that mostly do the job for me personally;
4 grams om L-citrulline; the regular dose. In my opinion this dose could be upped just a little bit.
Just 200 mg's of caffeine. Although this is a modest dose, for me this works best. I like my cup(s) of coffee on the side. A dose beyond 200 mg's takes my daily caffeine consumption to a daily intake that would not be considered healthy anymore .
Two grams of hydromax; as can be found on SR : "HydroMax is a patented, highly concentrated form of powdered glycerol, and silica. It contains 65% glycerol thereby increasing its potency and function. The end result of this exceptional hydration and superior pumps". So hydration and pumps. one gram of agmatine sulfate and 100 mg's of l-norvaline to dialate blood vessels and thereby increasing blood flow leading ro great pumps.
One gram of taurine to help decrease muscle spasms, and 0m5 gram of NALT to bring you to a happy dopamine place.

As mentioned in the introduction ; 200mg og DMHA and Eria Jarensis for insane energy and focus.
Eria Jarensis comes from a plant in the orchid family - eria is the genus, eria jarensis is the species. Effect show some similarities with ephedrine. After intake mostly effective for as long as 5-10 minutes, so a short life span.
DMHA caught my attention here. Fairly new and added to some pre-workout products. Literature on this is mixed. Some call it the next best thing in supplement land. Other express their concerns, as it shows lots of similarities to the banned DMAA. The molecular structure, effects (imitates adrenaline), increases heart rate, fights fatigue. Most sources claim that this product to be banned in the near future. Others claim it is perfectly safe. The verdict still isn't out.

I grabbed the sour gummy bear, the taste is excellent. Mixability is awesome, no clumping, no residue, no foam.

As for effectives goes, I have yet to find a supplement that delivers as Kraken in this area. The energy is amazing. When you are in the gym you actually feel the urge to rip the whole gym apart - in the good sense. Focus and mood are also great. You just go from one exercise to the next.
The insane amount of energy - I believe- can be attributed to the DMHA, and perhaps some to the Eria Jarensis. As mentioned, i experienced a quick build up in tolerance. Normally i would take this as a negative, but with Kraken i atually was glad i developed some tolerance. The increase in energy en adrenaline was just a bit too much with the first few days on Kraken. Everybody looks for the best pre workout, but in my opinion there is a sound limit when it comes to the strength of the product. First few doses feels like taking illegal kind of drugs.
The 'pump' feeling is very good. Not the bloated kind, but the rock solid. You can feel your whole body turn into a big rock. A workout session just flies by.
Definetely felt an increase in focus. The mood effect was good, but i perceived better effects from other pre workouts. This could be coming from the slight anxious feeling

The insane amount of energy makes it hard to keep rests between your sets as you just want to rip the gym apart. An increase in power is noticable. Personally this did make me feel a bit at unease, especially in combination with the extreme heart rate. As mentioned, after a few doses/training sessions tolerance builds, or your body gets used to the DMHA and the unease diminishes. Perhaps its bit of a mental effect, being a bit anxious about such an powerful energy rush. When DHMA is oficially deemed safe, Kraken would most certainly be the best pre workout out there.

Kraken ranges in the normal price range for most pre- workouts. When bought on a BOGO sale it's actually cheap. The regular price puts it at about $1.50 per serving,

Side Effects
As for the side effects I do have some concerns. Besides a bit of a dyhydrated feeling (dry mouth), my heart pounded out of my chest and the sweating, especially the first couple of times using Kraken was absurd. I would not call this a side effect, but the effects lasted for a really long time. Really, like about 5 hours. After that, quite a crash. I am not that stim sensitive, but Kraken really kicked me in the nuts. Personally don't mind the sweats, but some concern on the heart rate increase.

Conclusion
Kraken is an amazing pre workout. Besides all the regular ingredients a great tase, mixability and - not unimportant- a modest price. My concerns, and perhaps the fact that I am kindof reluctant to label this my nr.1 pre workout is the DMHA. It feels like taking mild methamfetamines. Not a big fan of the crashes, but after using Kraken for a couple of times these diminish as you grow some tolerance. I am mostly concerned on the heartrate effects and the discussion on DMHA that will be banned anytime soon as a successor of DMAA. Personally I think I will wait till the verdict is out. After DMAA is declared safe on the other hand, this will definetaly be my nr.1 go to pre-workout supplement even with the crash and burn. You get used to this as your tolerance grows and.. no pain no gain
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fully Transparent
  • Amazing Energy
  • Excellent Endurance
  • Possible Unsafe DMHA
  • Increased Heart Rate
  • Sour gummy bear: 9/10
bogusforlife
  April 4, 2017

Kraken has been on my "to-try" list since I first saw the profile and getting it for a dollar per serving thanks to a BOGO free deal was almost impossible to resist.

As mentioned above, the profile on this preworkout checks every box I personally look for. I prefer a moderate caffeine dose, solid pump enhancers and a nice focus boost and the label for Kraken looks to provide just that. 200 mg's of caffeine is literally my sweet spot but I had my reservations about DMHA and Eria Jarensis as they're relatively new and have little more than anecdotal feedback available regarding effectiveness and safety.

Four grams of l-citrulline, two grams of HydroMax, one gram of agmatine sulfate and 100 mg's of l-norvaline aim to increase pumps from multiple angles. From actual vasodilation with l-citrulline to intramuscular hydration via HydroMax to the inhibition of the breakdown of arginine with l-norvaline, you would be hard pressed to find more well dosed pump ingredients in an all-in-one product, especially one with only 200 mg's of caffeine.

One gram of taurine, half a gram of NALT and the fully disclosed and relatively large doses of DMHA and Eria Jarensis combined with the caffeine shows Sparta Nutrition was not content to do anything in this product halfway, especially the focus and mood enhancement.

When snagging the BOGO, I went with the newest flavors, watermelon rancher and bombsicle. I have not opened the bombsicle yet but the watermelon rancher is very enjoyable to drink. The flavoring is prefer but not overpowering and is easily identifiable as watermelon.

The product mixes great and that's when being mixed with an unflavored carbohydrate powder in roughly 20 ounces of water. I also appreciate the fact that a level scoop provides exactly 15 grams (15.13 grams is the serving size) after being weighed on multiple occasions. That is something I'm always mindful of when trying to keep my stimulant intake in check.

I am happy to report that Kraken delivers in every area that I hoped for based on the packed out profile. The energy from this product is top notch for someone who keeps their stimulant intake pretty controlled (rarely go over 250 mg's of caffeine per serving on a regular basis). The focus and mood boost are some of the best I have ever experienced. I get so dialed in that moving between exercises is seamless and waiting my prescribed rest intervals between sets is borderline impossible due to the increased drive. I know this has to be the DMHA and Eria Jarensis because I am familiar with all of the other ingredients found in this product. The combination is genuinely one of the most potent I have had in a long, long time. The best part is that even though I am extremely energized and driven, I never feel out of control or uneasy like I do when I push my caffeine intake too far. The energy and focus are so elevated that I do experience a mild "come down" once I leave the gym, shower and get in the car to head to work. I wouldn't call it a crash by any means though and the best part is that the dropped off level is still so much higher than what other products provide and my energy and focus are elevated for a large portion of my day afterwards (like right now at 10 AM when I took Kraken at 5 AM).

The pumps on this product are great as well. They're a very dense type of pump which is hard to describe but those who have felt them should know what I mean. My muscles don't "balloon" up as much as they would with some other pump-specific products but they just feel incredibly solid and they come on QUICK (like before the workout even begins). My endurance is noticeably better when on this product and I think that's honestly due to the increased energy and focus. It just makes weight that would normally seem like a challenge, feel lighter and like I am more in control as I move through each working set.

As mentioned before, I snagged this beast of a preworkout on a BOGO free sale making each serving/workout effectively a dollar. For a dollar per workout, this product is hard to beat in my opinion. Even at the regular price putting it between $1.50 and $2.00 per serving, this product is still worth it for the insane energy/focus and incredible drive to move heavy things. Keep in mind that those with a higher stimulant intake may not be blown away as I am but I don't foresee this product being out of my stash any time soon regardless of what price I am able to pick it up at.

Side Effects

I do experience a mild "come down" as referenced above and some serious dry mouth afterwards but I am drinking water all day every day any way so that's easy to circumvent.

Conclusion

This is far and away my favorite preworkout on the market. I don't see anything else I could add to it at this point as I have thoroughly enjoyed every single workout while using this product. My only concern is the safety and compliance aspects of DMHA and Eria Jarensis and I am eagerly looking forward to any data that can be found regarding those aspects. I am not saying that I suspect this product to contain anything illicit in it but you honestly never know with newer to market ingredients so any reassurance to that effect would be nice.
    • Watermelon Rancher: 8/10
    PiccoloPete
    TROOPer Level: 45
      March 4, 2017

Thanks to Sparta Nutrition for sending it out!

Big shout out to Sparta Nutrition for sending Kraken out to the Troopers and Expert reviewers! A little bit about myself, I workout to live a better life and not live to workout. My workouts consist of a compound and then some accessory hypertrophy. I have joined a bandwagon of Keto, I have broken though a weight plateau, and his has caused strength to drop a considerable amount. At the moment I am not concerned because I will make a comeback to where I was and I will be leaner this time around.

Sparta Nutrition has an open label with dosing on point for a balanced preworkout. Some stim junkies will want a little more caffeine, I feel with the added DMHA it give the perfect 1-2 punch. With pump ingredients like citrulline, agmatine, hydromax you know you will be getting a good pump that will last well into your workout.

I requested the Sour Gummy Bear flavor I had high hopes for the flavor and it honestly let me down. It smelled wonderful like a true bag of gummy bears. Kraken is not the worst tasting preworkout it is however very tart. In terms of mixability it has trouble because you get sandy sediment every time.

Dosing: Kraken to me was a 1 scoop preworkout every time. I will note that I did use half scoops sometimes when I would have to workout late at night (Any time over 9pm)

I will rate Kraken on the 3 things most of us want from a preworkout.

Energy: So like I mentioned earlier I never needed a second scoop of Kraken. If you look at the label ooh man only 200mg of caffeine (says every stim junkie). Nope in my eyes the amount of caffeine paired with DMHA is a perfect combo, long lasting energy that gave me some great workouts, even when taking 1/2 a scoop, I would have enough energy to get in some good lifts! I have been on a Keto diet, and I can tell that my energy levels where pretty low on the first couple weeks of being on Keto. Kraken made me feel great with 0 crash or lethargy.

Pump: Kraken gave me sick pumps, for being on a Keto diet. The pumps came hard and fast but only lasted 30-40 minutes. I will not take any point away from Kraken for this because I have realized that pumps are harder to maintain while on a Keto Diet. Even with short lasting pumps, I did achieve that skin tearing pump within a few sets of anything of reps over 10.

I recall a leg day from 3 weeks ago where I did a variation of muscle occlusion training on a leg press - 4 sets of 12-15 reps without taking your feet off the platform. When I stood up my quads turned bright red (I have super white legs) and managed to get painful rush of blood to them baby quads.

Focus: Focus was on par with some other great preworkouts that I have tried. It wasn't tunnel vision type of focus but more of not letting yourself just move the weight. I noticed a greater mind muscle connection as I would be thinking about a specific area on the back, quad, front delt etc. I also found myself slowing down reps and forcing blood into the muscle.
    Even if I wasn't feeling pumped anymore, I could feel the muscle activating each and every rep.

In terms of value I find it to be fair for what you are getting. A pre workout that is dosed appropriately and works great every single time! You can find it for under 40 bucks from a few places like getsupps.com and phwsupplements.com. Yes Kraken comes with 20 servings but some of us only workout 3-5x per week. Kraken lasted me way over a month!

Side Effects

None!

Conclusion

Kraken is a not your typical preworkout! It is an amazing option in a sea of preworkout supplements that gets the job done without the side effects that some may cause. Sparta Nutrition has provided us with a Great Supplement that is no gimmicks and provides solid results scoop after scoop.

I sincerely apologize for taking so long in writing this review. Life get sin the way sometimes and I honestly didn't want to write a crap review!
    • Patented Ingredients
    • Gritty
    • Extreamly Tart
    • Sour gummy bear: 5/10
    Bill_Plates
    TROOPer Level: 16
      February 25, 2017

Thanks to Sparta Nutrition for sending it out!

Wanna start off with an apology to Sparta Nutrition for the delay on the review. Me and my old lady are in the midst of a move, and while I've known I had a review to do, I never found the time to give one with my full attention, so here goes my full review!

With how busy I have been I had more or less taken a break from many of my usual supplements, and my preworkouts were pretty much all I was taking to help with energy in the gym. I decided to pick this up because the profile looked nice and who could pass up "Sex on the beach"?

Kraken delivers in every area for me. It has a good dose of beta coming in at 3.2, the pump products are on point with 4g of citrulline, 2g of hydromaz, and a gram of agmatine. Pumps weren't skin splitting, but it definitely had me doing double takes in the gym mirror. The caffeine is a nice amount, could be more but with this products effectiveness I can't complain a bit. This product is also topped off by DMHA and Eria Jarensis extract to give that extra kick which the Kraken never failed to deliver.

I requested the Sex on the Beach flavor. I mean, c'mon, It's sex on the beach. This flavor started off really good to me, but about halfway through the container the flavor got a little bland. Which happens at times, it just wasn't a flavor I wanted day after day, but still a good flavor. Never an issue with the mixing, just the same few particles like most other PWO's. Dosing called for 1 15.13g scoop. I always start off with 1 scoop, and depending on the intensity of that workout I adjust accordingly. Needless to say I 1 scooped this every day as it made for outstanding workouts.

This is a preworkout that I would enjoy taking time and time again. It gave everything you need in a Pre. Good pumps, tunnel vision focus, tingles and a sense of alertness but not too strong. Out of the 20 scoops in the container, I'd say maybe 2 workouts were lackluster and those workouts were strictly on me.

Prices on this are somewhere in the range of $33-40, and while I usually wouldn't spend around $2 a scoop on a pwo, this is one I can confidently say I'd buy again. The workouts justify the cost, but with it being a 20sv tub, I would like to see a slight cost decrease.

Side Effects

Nothing bad, Though this preworkout did make me feel unusually thirsty. But you can never have too much water anyway.

Conclusion

Definitely a top tier preworkout. The ingredients back up it's claims and The Kraken doesn't disappoint. If the price is in your ballpark, give it a shot. I wish I could try the sour gummy bear as well, but you can never go wrong with Sex on the Beach! Great job Sparta Nutrition, and again, sorry for the delayed review.
    • A Bit Expensive
    • Sex On The Beach: 7/10
    elee229
    TROOPer Level: 42
      February 21, 2017

Thanks to Sparta Nutrition for sending it out!
    Please ignore my terrible title lol.

Shoutout to Spartan Nutrition for participating in the SR Trooper program. Thank you for giving me a chance to try this product. The main reason why I was attracted to this product was because of the 200mg of DMHA with 200mg of caffeine. This is the first product I have tried from Spartan Nutrition. Let's see how it did.

As I mentioned before, the product has 200mg of DMHA. For those who aren't familiar DMHA is 2-aminoisoheptane on the label. DMHA gives the feel good feeling and with 200mg of caffeine, it gives a nice kick. Combined together it is an energy-boosting, good vibing (if that's even a word) preworkout. But to go along with those two ingredients, Spartan Nutrition has added ingredients to get a good pump (citrulline, agmatine, taurine, hydromax, and norvaline). It also has the proper dosage of Carnosyn beta alanine at 3.2 grams. The product also has Eria Jarensis Extract at 250mg. This was new for me and after researching, it is a new stimulant. The product helps give a strong euphoric effect. S**t had me popping. Check out the effectiveness section for an explanation.

Taste
    I received the Sex on the Beach flavor. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it around a 6. I wish I had asked to try the Sour Gummy Bear. I did not like it the first time I tried it and still did not like it till the end. I know that Sex on the Beach is typically an alcoholic beverage. Now I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I'm not a huge drinker and I wonder if that affected my opinion. I did like the fruitiness of it though. Overall not my favorite flavor. I would love to see more flavors for this product.

Mixability
    This was as gritty as sand on the beach. I had to shake it before I took a swig since there was settlement on the bottom. Added it with about 10 ounces of water every time.

This was a one scooper every time. 200mg of DMHA and caffeine is the perfect amount for me. I took this around 30 minutes before my workout. I could feel the tingles as soon as I finished the preworkout. When I started warming up, I was fired up and ready to go.

Like I said, this had me popping. I was bouncing off the walls with happiness. It was extremely effective for me. Throughout my whole workout, I felt I could f**k all the weight up. I had good pumps, but the focus and the energy were unreal. I could lift weights all day on this product.

After a few sets I would look in the mirror (who doesn't) and definitely thought that I looked good. Looked and felt full and thick. Forearms were amped up. Veins were popping.

Heavy weights felt light. I hit multiple PR's in reps and weights throughout the running of this product. Focus was on me and on me only. I saw the weights and I lifted them. No one or nothing was distracting me. I was all the way up and nothing could stop me. Strength also went up during the run of the product. My whole workout I was working at 100%. Never did I slow down. My main lifts were easy and I increased weight on my accessory movements.

At the moment, I only it available on a few sites. Prices average around $40-$50. So per scoop (20 scoops per container), $2-$2.5. This is definitely on the higher end price point wise. However it is dosed correctly with effective stimulants. I would definitely buy this with my own money at this price. With a preworkout this effective, who wouldn't buy it?

Side Effects
    Made me horny as s**t, but is that really a side effect? I did experience some loosey gooseyness during my rests between sets. I looked like an idiot dancing around my gym. I did not experience any cold sweats, crashes, or bad feelings afterwards like many SR reviewers have mentioned.

Conclusion
    Try it. That's all I have to say. Give it a try and make some gains!
    Thank you again Spartan Nutrition. Peace.
    • Sex On The Beach: 6/10
    Isplisgardt
    TROOPer Level: 49
      February 18, 2017

Thanks to Sparta Nutrition for sending it out!

First off big thanks to Sparta Nutrition for letting me try this gem. Second, Sparta Nutrition for brand of the year, everything I have tried from them has been phenomenal. Kraken is their pre workout product and its an absolute beast of a product. It has a little bit of everything and when all blended together works very well.

Fully disclosed ingredients list and my goodness is this thing loaded. 4g L-Citrulline, 1g Agmatine Sulfate, 2g Hydromax.... Holy pump. Then you get the full dose of Beta Alanine and top that off with an impressive blend for energy and focus and you get a top notch high quality pre workout product. Full of all the goodies one could ask for. Maybe creatine could be the only thing one could possibly add but even then its not a huge deal that it doesnt have it.

Dosage is easy and straight forward, one scoop 30 minute pre workout. Very simple. Mixing was just fine, no grit at the bottom of the shaker. I had the sour gummy bear flavor. It was kind of a let down, it was definitely sour so that part they nailed but it was kind of chemical tasting. Not a deal breaker though considering how well it worked.

Boom! This stuff hits hard! The energy and focus rush is insane. about 15 to 20 minutes after taking it, the beta tingles kick in and the focus becomes more acute and my eyes start to open up because my energy levels are spiking. The razor like focus really had me in the zone and gave me the edge to push myself harder than I had in a long time. Energy levels were through the roof, never did I find myself tired during a workout. As far as endurance goes I was able to push out extra reps on weights and even being able to throw some extra sets in because I simply wasnt drained the way I was in the past. Pumps were yuge, all the pump ingredients thrown together had the veins popping and the muscles looking full. Calve pumps , foremarm pumps, bicep pumps were even sort of painful. I even hit some PRs while using this product(not really PRs but weight I hadnt hit since the heart issue) so this product had me all sorts of amped up. Simply put I loved every scoop and every scoop was just as effective as the first.

39.99 for 20 scoops. Its higher than average but its worth 2$ a scoop and id pay it any day of the week

Side Effects

about 15 minutes after my workouts ended I crashed pretty hard. I hadnt crashed like that since I used the amphetamine laced Craze. I was so tired and so drained I would just sit there and stare off into space.

Conclusion

This is easily in my top 3 pre workouts that Ive ever tried. Every scoop delivered maximum performance to help deliver maximum results. I would definitely buy this again and even got my buddy to try and order it but theyre out of stock. THis product gets a thumbs up. Sparta for brand of the year!
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Intense Focus
    • Amazing Energy
    • Fully Transparent
    • Clinically Dosed
    • Sour gummy bear: 6/10
    willyb87
    TROOPer Level: 49
      February 16, 2017

Thanks to Sparta Nutrition for sending it out!

I 1st read about Kraken on another site and loved the profile, originally I read this was supposed to have DMAA in it and that would have been great but lets see how it stacked up without it.

A solid and fully disclosed profile here, for pumps they have pure citrulline at 4 grams, agmatine at 1 gram, Hydromax at 2 grams(love this amount) and then 100mg of norvaline to help hold the pump a little longer. Caffeine isn't overpowering at 200mg and the beta alanine is effectively dosed at 3.2g, also some taurine added in there as well.

I have only 2 complaints on this product and the 1st is here.... I received as requested Sour Gummy Bears.... I opened the tub and smelled and wow delicious smelled just like a fresh bag of haribo gummy bears, scooped up the powder about 30 minutes before workout shook it up in the shaker and it mixed great... Took a big sip and bam the most chemical aftertaste I think I have ever encountered, but a flat tasting absolutely nothing like gummy bear thing I have ever tasted... But this is a preworkout so I'm not taking too many points for taste here, because honestly my expectations were probably too high anyways.

From the time I picked up the 1st weight till the time I walked out the door I felt great and ready to lift. While on this I had clean energy and a focus to rival almost anything else ive ever used. My workouts lately have been of varying styles but consistent in the sense of starting out with heavy movements and ending with some serious volume. My muscles seem to really swell and hold a pump for a good while, I felt like my body held onto the water I chugged down intra-workout more than usual. The energy was always very clean and not noticeable in coming on, but I always could tell it was there. Coming off the workout on a few occasions I had some issues that I will mention in the side effect section.
    '

On average I have seen this around $33, everything is dosed well and the profile is solid its only 20 servings but I still think the pricepoint here is solid and I would buy even if not on sale which I have seen several of on this.

Side Effects

On a few occasions after the workout I would crash HARD, out of 20 workouts probably 3-4 times but I thought worth mentioning. Not just a normal stim crash either. Cold sweats, nausea, and just an overall drained and beatdown feeling. On these days nothing was out of the ordinary and the preworkout was the only constant but I'm not going to put the entire blame on the product.

Conclusion

Even though I had a couple issues it isn't anything that would chase me off from using this again as while I was in the gym this product had me performing at what I feel like was top gear for me. Thanks to Sparta Nutrition for sending this outto us TROOPs and I look forward to whatever is in the works next.
    • Pumps
    • Sour gummy bear: 4/10
    Parasite
    TROOPer Level: 36
      February 8, 2017

Thanks to Sparta Nutrition for sending it out!

I decided to pick Kraken up because of the ingredient profile and also because I have seen nothing but good reviews for Sparta Nutrition's supplements. I have been following "The Best Damn Workout for Natural Lifters" from T-Nation for the last 2-3 months with pretty good results. Thanks to Sparta for participating in the TROOPs program.

Solid, well rounded ingredient profile that has effective doses that help deliver on the marketing claims. Not much else to note as Sparta Nutrition includes all the necessary ingredients that you would want for a product claiming it delivers focus, energy, pump and endurance. Plus it has DMHA! Kalans, Pancow, Vaughn and others have done a good job of breaking down the ingredient profile so check out their reviews for a more in-depth dive.

I did not request a flavor for this and was sent Sex on the Beach. I did not care for this at first but it eventually became tolerable. Sparta Nutrition seemed to pixie dust the flavor to try and mask the chemical taste from the ingredients. It wasn't a flavor I looked forward to drinking but it also was not anything that I did not want to drink. As long as the flavor is something I can at least tolerate, flavor is usually not a big deal to me.

True one scooper. Never used more. Never used less. Added 1 scoop to about 6-8 ounces of water and gave it a shake for 10 seconds or so. Most of it dissolved. Had a little settlement but I always tend to swirl my PWO before taking another drink if I set it down so by the time I finish it there is nothing in the bottom of the shaker.

I'm not quite as sold on this as others. Did it work? Yes! Did it work to the effect it did on the others that have reviewed it so far? No! This could be due to 2 things though. First, my adrenal system could be shot. My caffeine intake is upward of 600mg+ per day. Second, I used this after using the PWO Siren which had 75mg of DMAA in it. Going from a PWO with DMAA in it to a PWO with DMAA's ugly cousin might have had an impact on the overall effectiveness for me. With those 2 things out of the way, let's see how Kraken worked for me.

The first week I took this I thought it was worthless. Again, I think going from Siren to this had an impact on that. That first week I had no energy, it did not get me going for my workouts, I had some focus and some pump factor but the energy and focus just were what I was expecting from a PWO with the magnitude of the ingredient profile it boasts.

Weeks 2-4 I could tell there was some improvement. Focus and energy definitely picked up although it was nothing overpowering. Every time I took this both the energy and focus seemed smooth. It was nothing overpowering but at the same time I wanted more. I like that tunnel vision in the gym and this was no where near that. I was able to focus a little more but also found myself getting distracted between sets at times. Energy was usually just enough to get me going and power me through my workout but did not last much longer than that. I like a PWO that gets me going even when I am tired and do not want to go to the gym and this was not it; even though, I still had solid workouts on it when I felt like not being in the gym.
    I will also note that I take HBCDs during my workouts twice a week. With these added, the pumps were a lot more noticeable and almost approached painful at times. Definitely worth combining the two if you have the spare change to add some HBCDs to your intra workout cocktail.

Looking on Price Plow it looks like various online retailers sell Kraken from 32.89 to 34.99 pre-shipping cost. This is for 20 servings. Normally I tend to stick to around $1 per serving for my PWO but the older and more knowledgeable I get I have also been looking for supplements with quality ingredients from reputable companies. When I know I am getting a quality supplement from a reputable brand, I am more inclined to pay a little more. I won't go crazy and overspend but this is in a reasonable price range for me that I would be willing to spend my money on.

Side Effects

Slight lethargy after a couple of hours but nothing to note other than that.

Conclusion

Overall I kind of had mixed feelings on this. There were times I enjoyed it. There were times I felt like I needed a little more of a boost. I think it is a quality PWO that may get a second chance once I reset my adrenal system and have not had a PWO with DMAA in it before taking it.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Fully Transparent
    • Clinically Dosed
    • Sex On The Beach: 5/10