Six Star Amino Max Reviews

By: Six Star

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Reduces DOMS

A decent budget intra workout product that works well with 2 scoops to fend off catabolism and DOMS. The flavor however does not work so well and I am not a fan of the artificial ingredients including color.

A now 30-year-old male that once upon a time was in school for nutrition science and still keeps up with medical/scholarly journals. I worked at GNC throughout college so I was able to test a nice spread of products. I have been lifting for the better part of a decade however only recently (past few years) have I started utilizing BCAAs and other amino based intras regularly. With mixed results I have continued using them with the mentality that they cannot hurt.

Ingredient Profile 7/10

Pretty standard stuff here. Downside being you need 2 scoops to get the proper amount of BCAAs.

4gs of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine in a 2:1:1 ratio to aid protein synthesis and reduce catabolism. I do not feel that 4 grams is enough to make a significant difference so this supplement requires 2 scoops.

1g of Glutamine which helps with muscle tissue repair and sparing. An hour of exercise can reduce glutamine in the body by up to 40% so supplementing this non-essential amino can be very beneficial of the course of an exercise routine. Glutamine also boosts the immune system which further aids recovery and overall health. Per 2 scoops, the 2 grams is enough to reap the benefits.

1g of Taurine to help reduce muscle fatigue and damage as well as aiding hydration and efficient metabolic regulation. Again, per 2 scoops the 2 grams is plenty.

100mg of coconut water which helps with hydration and electrolyte balance. 200mg per my 2 scoops is adequate.

I would love to see zero artificial anything. The exclusion of aspartame is welcomed but it still has AceK. I will constantly harp on the fact that artificial color is supremely stupid, whether it be sourced from bugs or harvest waste or industrial byproducts I do not care. There is no reason to add something to color my water and stain anything it touches while potentially providing negative health implications. I hate artificial colors. Zero benefit, only downsides.

Taste 5/10

I have only had the fruit punch flavor and it tastes like cough syrup. There is no real lingering taste but I would say this flavor is only tolerable. Fruit punch is my least favorite flavor across the board so I may be unfairly critical of this.

Mixability 8/10

This product mixes well enough. I would place 2 scoops in an empty water bottle, fill it with about 20oz of water and shake it only a few times while walking into the gym. There would be some settling over the course of my lifting sessions but one quick shake would suspend almost all of the powder in water.

Effectiveness 8/10

Intras really work best when absolutely nothing is noticed. No soreness, no cramping, no cotton mouth and no other issues. I have been doing double days 6 days a week, stepping my macros up considerably and using this Six Star Amino Max while training and have noticed no additional soreness. That is the highest praise I can give an intra. That said, I haven't noticed any significantly reduced soreness vs other intras and I have never had muscle cramping so I am not certain if this product is helpful in preventing that. At most it has helped a problem that wasn't there.

Against no supplementation whatsoever this product does in fact help my recovery times. I have not once felt the type of soreness that limits my activity the next day while taking this. Even after leg days I am able to function (relatively) normally.

Value 7/10

There is a RiteAid near my girlfriend's house that I make a habit of stopping by because their clearance rack is incredible. The only reason I tried this product is because it along with a few other supplements from GNC, EAS, etc were 75% off the RiteAid/GNC price. I paid $5 for the container and therefor 33 cents a per 2 scoop serving. If you have aminos in your pre which is becoming common these days 1 scoop would be enough and it would have been half that.

At the normal price of $20 per tub I would say this product is slightly above average. 1.5 scoops would probably be the sweet spot so you are coming in at about a $1 a scoop and are getting some extras beyond the basic BCAAs.

Side Effects 10/10

Conclusion 7/10

This product does what it should at 2 scoops. The flavor isn't my favorite but it mixes well and I am able to sip on it throughout my workouts without gagging. Also helps knowing while I stay hydrated (I am better about drinking water while exercising when it has some flavor and added benefits) I am going to have a much easier time functioning the next day. Without crazy soreness I am able to get back into the gym to keep chasing those PRs much more consistently.

• dmf8625
    August 5, 2018

Unless the label on Amazon is old, it shows only 100mg of coconut water per scoop vs. the 200mg per scoop mentioned in the review.

• Diesel656
    August 5, 2018

Good catch, got mixed up reviewing it as a 2 scoop product which unfortunately it is.

• dmf8625
    August 5, 2018

Sadly that is the marketing game that Six Star/Muscletech plays on products like this to make the front of the label look really good.