Prota-Lyn has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Whey Protein

Prota-Lyn Reviews

By: SciFit

Protein > Whey Protein
Prota-Lyn is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by SciFit. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Prota-Lyn has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Whey Protein

February 26, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High Absorption Rate
  • Hit And Miss Mixing
  • Only 21 Grams Per Serving-closer To 30 Would Be Nice =)
Went through Oakmont, PA yesterday to go to SciFit headquarters to shop around. Decided to drop my review on Prota-Lyn that I took about this time last year.

Scifit claims that Prota-Lyn is pH buffered protein. It claims that due to a new patented process referred to as "Hybrid Enzymatic Peptide Enzyme Technology" they can literally alter the long protein peptides into shorter peptide chains to allow for the highest rate of absorption. And they accomplish this with a combination of milk protein and grain protein.

INGREDIENTS:

Serving size 28.4 grams
Servings per container 48 (3 lb tub)
Calories From Fat 7
L-Tryptophan�� 1.441g
L-Tyrosine 2.659g
L-Valine (BCAA)� 5.050g
� Essential Amino Acids
�� The L-Tryptophan Indicated Is From Naturally Occurring Sources Of Protein.

As you can see you are getting roughly 84/114 calories from protein. 4 grams of carbs and one gram of fat...That doesn't add up to me calorie-wise, but oh well, its probably close. You are also getting roughly 1/4 of the BCAA's listed because the amino acid profile is for roughly 4 scoops. So you are looking at a ballpark of 5-6 grams BCAA per scoop.

--------------

Taste(8.5/10)

----------

If you have ever tried Prota-lyn, you know that you can distinguish it from any other protein by taste alone. By virtue of the grain protein it has a very distinct undertone which is present in all of their flavors. I have tried the Rich chocolate, Vanilla Swirl, and Chocolate Marsh mellow. Some flavors do leave a bit to be desired, but none are terrible. I actually prefer switching to Prota-Lyn over other proteins sometimes because its not as overly sweet tasting as some proteins out there.

----------

Mixability(8/10)

-----------

I felt like this mixed noticeably better in water than milk and I actually liked the taste in water better than milk, which is rare for me. It just seemed like it had a tougher time mixing in milk, but if you shake it vigorously it will get the idea...lol It was a bit gritty as well, but not like major floaters gritty, I think it had more to do with the grain protein taste than anything.

---------

Effectiveness(8/10)

---------

I am going to throw right out there that I am not a fan of JUST milk protein and I know very little about grain protein or its particular pH buffering effects. With that being said, I can usually judge the quality of protein I am ingesting by how bad my protein farts are the next day and also how muscle recovery is feeling. I'm still moderately sore after I take this, and I do wish there were more BCAA's per serving, but I don't get protein farts so I think the protein absorbs pretty well.

------------

Value(8/10)

--------------

This is a pretty decent protein for the price, especially if you buy it straight from them in Oakmont, because they run BOGO specials quite frequently. But even if you don't live in southwestern PA, you can get a 3lb tub on BB.com for 30 bucks which isn't too bad.

-----------

Overall(8/10)

-------------

I think this is a decent product overall. Good general results, no protein farts from poor quality proteins, and acceptable, yet distinguishable taste. The things I wish this had to make it better would be more BCAA's first of all. Second of all, only 75% of every scoop is protein and that seems a little low to me. I just acquired Scifit's 100% isolate so I will review that and how it stacks up to prota-lyn in the near future.

June 4, 2011

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High Absorption Rate
  • Gritty Texture
Prota-Lyn is an interesting product coming out of Sci-Fit's arena and it caught my attention when it was reviewed and rated highly by: Cray, toolhead, and petey. Did a little research on and learned that this stuff is actually made from wheat and pea protein. Interested for sure at this point. After listening to Sci-Fit's CEO Jim Vercellotti talk about how it took him a few years to get the flavor of Prota-Lyn right I knew I had to goive his stuff a shot. SO, I held my breath. Looked at the final price on my Bb.com shopping cart and pulled the trigger on this overpriced protein anyway!

Taste (6.8/10): I feel I was let down by Prota-Lyn in this category. I went with the Chocolate Mocha flavor after reading tool's review. Now Sci-Fit actually used real Arabica Coffee Extract so its a GENUINE flavor but its just that! I felt like I was drinking a really weak, watered down coffee beverage. Not my cup of tea. Excuse the pun.

Effectiveness (8.3/10) Really helped me round out my protein totals for the day and as far as I could tell as effective a supplement as any protein supp I've ever used. And I've used quite a few.

Texture (2.0/10) YEEEACKK! Back to the drawing board for Sci-Fit in this category. I realize its a challenge making wheat and pea protein palatable but DAMN! Your shaker cup will never be the same. *YOU'VE BEEN WARNED* I've spent hours scrubbing the film off of the inside of my shaker cups out after a shake of this stuff and I usually pound my shake and rinse right after. Its not like I left it sitting for hours before attempting to clean it. I also feel like this brought the taste down a little for me.

Value (5.0/10) I mistakenly picked this product up at full price off of BB.com and I will not be purchasing again. Plain and simple, there are better, cheaper, as effective proteins out there and I will be using those.

This was a miss for me and I feel a miss for Sci-Fit as well. A very reputable company trying something new and innovative and coming up a little short. I like where there head is at in formulating such a unique protein but I will not be buying this product again. Maybe I can extend the lives of a few of my shaker cups while I'm at it lol.

-ET

January 12, 2011

• Cookies
  • Good Recovery Post Workout
    Iv'e been in love with this stuff since day one. Prota-Lyn is an "Enzymatic hybrid protein from milk and grain" that claims to be "the first pH buffered enhanced absorption protein". While I've always been pretty skeptical about Sci-Fits pH buffered absorption and the legitimacy of the claims of Prota-Lyn, Gluta-lyn, and Krealka-lyn, one thing is for sure, they have all worked splendidly for me.

Like many other folks here my first experience with Prota was when BB.com ran that spiffy little Bogo deal. With 6 lbs. of protein for 30 bucks who wouldn't jump at it. Even without Bogo Prota-Lyn gets an 8/10 for value because it is fairly priced and comparably affective to other faster digesting proteins. I noticed equal to slightly better recovery when compared to things like ON 100%, Hydrowhey, MyoFusion, and Combat Powder. It's not quite Aftershcok in the recovery department, but its doin just fine. The amino acid profile is top notch and jam-packed, and I think this explains a lot. I never experienced any bloat or gastrointestinal problems.

Something that has been discussed a lot about this product is mixing problems. I honestly never had a problem mixing Prota-Lyn and don't quite understand why anyone else has. It could be certain flavors? It mixed well for me in a shaker cup or blender, which always washed clean afterward without much hassle.

Taste.... .... 11/10. <--Not a typo. This ish is golden imo. Cookies n' cream is made with real Oreo's, and I would do terrible things at the will of the fattest women imaginable for a tall glass of chocolate mocha. But really, I found the stuff to be delicious. And that gritty texture? Im not sure how anyone could complain. It's a welcomed break from the monotony of most watery whey protein powders. It's a break I haven't come back from for a few months.

Once again I'm not totally sure of the heightened absorption of Prota-Lyn by means of the pH buffering. I would love to see some outside studies done and if you ever catch wind of any, please shoot them my way. But I do carry these few opinions: It does aid recovery, it does build muscle, it does mix well (for me anyway), it definitely tastes good, and I will keep using it at least from time to time. Overall 9/10.

December 31, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Absorption Rate
    • Good Recovery Post Workout
    • Only 21 Grams Per Serving-closer To 30 Would Be Nice =)
    • Whoever Said Chocolate Marshmallow Taste Was Delicious Lied!
    I picked up Prota-Lyn while BB had it on a bogo sale, and was sent four containers when I only ordered two (one w/ one free). Yes I was charged for it, but it was worth it because this turned out to be a great protein for me. I liked the fact that it was pH buffered, so the rate of absorption is very high. I also picked this up because of the word going around from fellow SRs so what the heck, picked it up. Glad I did. What kind of surprised me was the 21g per scoop, but I played around with the scoops anyway, took 1.5 scoops for ~32g post workout. Now to the other details:
    Taste: 7/10 I didn't care about the taste...but man did this not taste good, lol. I ordered the Chocolate Marshmallow flavor thinking I'm drinking smores, I was wrong, and I had four containers! It wasn't bad that I couldn't guzzle it, but it just wasn't enjoyable, but managed it.
    Mixability: 9/10 I always shake my protein in the blender bottle, and I do get that gritty taste, but it wasn't noticeable since I shake my bottle violently to make sure there's nothing but liquid.
    Effectiveness: 10/10 I definitely noticed great results along with my diet. Great recovery, I leaned out, muscles felt more full. Judging by the fast absorption, and that I do eat a lot, it definitely help aid in the recovery. Low calories, low fat and carbs.
    Overall: I give this a 9/10. It is a very solid product next to ON's 100% Whey, and I will continue to take this product into my maintenance phase. It doesn't give me any gassy feeling, or bloating, and found it very effective. As far as flavoring is concerned, I am definitely NOT getting the chocolate marshmallow ever again. >.<

December 26, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Absorption Rate
    • Strong Ingrediant Profile
    • Gritty Texture
    When I began exercising and lifting again on a regular basis a little over a year ago, the only supplement I really knew about was whey protein. I, like most uneducated newcomers, went into GNC and was talked into purchasing GNC's overpriced brand of 100% Whey. After I found SR.com, I switched my whey to ON's 100% Gold Standard. Unfortunately I discovered that, for whatever reason, ON's whey powder greatly upset my stomach and gave me horrendous gas.

And so I began my search for a new whey protein. At the time SciFit had just released Prota-Lyn, an enzymatic hybrid protein powder that featured their patented pH-buffered delivery system. There was a BOGO deal on BB.com so I went ahead and bought 3 lbs. of the Rich Milk Chocolate. I eventually purchased an additional 6 lbs. on the Chocolate Mocha while the BOGO deal was still happening. Primarily I took one scoop as an early morning shake and/or immediately post-workout. I have finished all 4 tubs of the product that I purchased.

TASTE: 9/10
    I tend not to stray too far from chocolate for my protein powders, and once again this practice proved to be a good call. Both the flavors of Prota-Lyn that I purchased were tasty and enjoyable, although I much preferred the Mocha Chocolate to the Rich Milk Chocolate. The RMC flavor had a very nutty flavor and was not as smooth as other chocolate flavors I've tried. The Mocha, on the other hand, was excellent and had a nice smooth finish. Neither flavor was particularly heavy, a feature which I valued as sometimes I don't get to my post-workout shake until 6PM and usually follow up with dinner shortly afterward.

As a side note – I have heard excellent things about the Cookies & Cream flavor of Prota-Lyn and that it actually has chunks of Oreo in the powder. I plan on trying this flavor in the near future.

MIXABILITY: 7/10
    I know many other members had issues with Prota-Lyn's mixability, and I will say that it is not the smoothest mixing powder that I've come across. The product is fine and VERY dense, and I often found myself having to actually use my fingers to pack a full serving of powder into the scoop. The product mixed fairly well in my shaker cup but did settle a bit if I left it on the table for too long.

After mixing the powder takes on a consistency that is almost like river silt. Personally I didn't have any issue with the texture and found it enjoyable, but I can see how for some people the texture and mixability might be a problem.

EFFECTIVENESS: 8/10
    This is a tough category to judge for whey proteins in my experience. Although I have experienced some solid gains in the time I've been taking Prota-Lyn, I am currently taking somewhere around 14 different products, so it's pretty much impossible to discern exactly how much of those gains are due to Prota-Lyn and Prota-Lyn alone. All in all, I feel as though the product certainly met my nutritional needs and provided my muscles with a solid dose of fast-absorbing protein. Additionally I only had minimal experiences of "protein gas" or bloating – certainly nowhere near the levels I had with both GNC's and ON's brand of 100% Whey. Additionally, Prota-Lyn throws in a really nice dosing of BCAA's while keeping the levels of fat, sodium, cholesterol, and sugar in each serving at a low and healthy amount.

I do also want to point that I didn't notice any difference from this pH-buffered protein vs. other products I've tried in the past. Prota-Lyn certainly doesn't highlight this particular feature like other SciFit products do; namely Nitrox II.

VALUE: 9/10
    Prota-Lyn competes with all the big name whey proteins (ON, Dymatize, Syntha-6, etc.) in price point as well. At roughly $10 per pound, Prota-Lyn is going to cost you relatively the same amount if not less than similar whey products.

So why not a 10 in value? The only reason I am marking a 9 in this category is that the serving size of Prota-Lyn (28.4 grams) is a bit smaller than other similar products. ON Gold Standard and Dymatize Elite give you a slightly larger scoop (32 grams of powder), which equates to 3 grams more protein per serving. Additionally, both Dymatize and ON provide less carbs per serving than Prota-Lyn, although you do take in more calories and a higher serving of cholesterol with these two products.

Point of reference – I mentioned that I purchased this product as a BOGO deal from BB.com. Obviously getting Prota-Lyn at $5 per pound is a sensational deal, however I refuse to rate a product's value based on a limited-time offer. Therefore I decided to base this review around the current price of Prota-Lyn. That being said, if you ever see the BOGO deal for this product, BUY IT! And then make sure to PM me so I can get in on that. =)

OVERALL: 8.5/10
    In my eyes, SciFit has been on fire with the recent release of so many excellent products. Prota-Lyn is no different and offers a slightly unique spin to the standard whey protein powder, while still remaining affordable and effective. Obviously whey protein powder should be a staple in any active individual's diet, and it's nice to know that some companies are beginning to experiment with different ways to deliver such a classic health supplement.

If you're bored with your current whey powder or are simply looking for something new and exciting, I highly recommend giving Prota-Lyn a shot.

November 15, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Absorption Rate
    • Low Sugar
    • Minimal Fat Content
    • Its A Little Gritty
    • Hit And Miss Mixing
    An interesting stab at a protein here from SciFit. It is a hybrid milk and wheat derived protein blend that is marketed as being one of the fastest available.

Mixability/Texture: 8.0/10
    It would be an understatement to say that the texture and mixability were interesting. I mixed it according to label directions and it came out a little on the thick side with some foam on top. The texture is pretty hard to describe as the milk/wheat hybrid makes it a little grainy (no pun intended) compared to traditional whey. It reminds me a bit of casein, with that thicker, dryer texture. Overall, it didn't clump, and had pretty quick mixability.

Taste: 8.4/10
    I received 2 containers of this shortly before it was released and at the time, the flavors they had available were rich milk chocolate and strawberry. Out of the two, I definitely preferred the chocolate. It had a lightly sweetened, pleasant flavor without being over/undersweetened. Strawberry wasn't bad, but it needs a little work to improve the overall flavor compared to the many other varieties of strawberry flavored proteins.

Ingredient Profile: 9.6/10
    I like their idea of incorporating wheat protein along side a milk based one. The BCAA profile is impressive with good dosages of each per 100g of Prota Lyn. Also getting good marks in the nutritional profile is fat (only 1g), cholesterol (only 7mg), sodium (at ~60mg depending on flavor), and a negligible amount of sugar.

Value: 9.2/10
    This stuff is priced average, usually at about $10 a pound ($29.97 for a 3 lb container), but I feel that the good profile increases its value for the amount that is charged. Also, Sci Fit is good about throwing in freebies when you buy certain products, so if you're looking to try this, keep an eye out for special deals.

Effectiveness: 8.7/10
    I tried this protein between meals, pre-workout, and post workout, and all three times, it was effective. The product didn't cause any digestive problems, and the recovery was on par with other rapidly absorbed proteins.

Overall: 8.8/10
    I was pleased with this product overall. I'm a traditional whey protein guy, but this product had enough positives in the nutritional profile and effectiveness areas to impress me and warrant a good review. Would I buy it again? Probably not, because like I stated, I prefer other sources of proteins but if I get a good deal on it, I'd pick some more up, and if you're looking for an alternative to traditional whey, then I would give this a try.

-AP

November 10, 2010

• Versatile
    • Unique
    • Doesn't Mix Too Well
    • Somewhat Low Amino Listing
    Well, i just finished two of the 1.5lb tubs that i got on BOGO free at BodyBuilding.com. I was very skeptical going into this purchase, but i got 3 lbs for roughly 23 bucks. Very nice deal. The regular price seems to be fair as well, at about 30 dollars for 3 lbs plus shipping fees, depending on who you buy from.

This is a very unique protein. It is not whey, instead it is derived from Milk and Grains. According to Sci-Fit, it is very fast absorbing but can also be used any time during the day. I am currently bulking and took 2 scoops (42g of protein) post workout with Waxy Maize. The recovery was good. I'm not gonna say it was beyond amazing though, i have had better results with Pure Whey Isolates. The amino listing for this protein wasn't truly impressive by any means to me either. The Leucine amount was satisfying though.

Now the texture and mix-ability of this protein is a tricky one. It was very creamy and thick and certainly does not mix great but tastes excellent. I use and swear by blender bottles, and to which i attribute making Dark Matter a pure, runny, liquid (If you have tried that one from MHP) but even they had a hard time mixing Prota-Lyn to perfection. I always wash out my blender bottles as soon as possible after use, but you really need to make that a priority when using this protein. If you leave it sit for 10 minutes or longer, it will leave a thick residue on the inside of the shaker and you will need to spend much more time at the sink rinsing and scrubbing, lol. But that's light work for us bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts 8-). I also noticed the thickness/softness of the powder on this one. I had to scoop and press with my fingers 2 or 3 times to get a full scoop worth lol. Once again- no biggy, just here to describe.

All in all, Prota-Lyn was a good protein powder and i don't see any wrong in taking it. But i do see other proteins out there that are the better buy, such as Dymatize Elite Whey or Optimum nutrition gold standard whey. I will probably take Prota-Lyn again, sometime in the future for a nice mix up. Sci-Fit is a great company, nonetheless. Still aiming to try alot more of their products.

October 20, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Absorption Rate
    • Chocolate Marshmallow Taste Was Delicious
    • Its A Little Gritty
    Sci fit Protalyn I got to say is one hell of a protein supp. Frankly the only reason I picked this up was cause of the deal on BB.com. I had never used this supp before and I can say this will be my protein supp for a while.

Effectiveness: Like most, if not all the Sci fit products this one is PH buffered resulting in fast absorption and getting most of the 21 grams of protein into those starving muscles. Even though this protein only contains 121 calories per serving I felt pretty full after downing this post workout. No bloating or disgusting gas came from Protalyn, it's a very clean protein. No added fillers or other BS. In addition to only having 121 calories atleast for the Chocolate Marshmallow its only has 4 grams of carbs, 2 grams of fat and zero sugar. This helps not only on a cut but also on a lean bulk.

Value: As I mentioned above the only reason I got this was because of the incredible deal that was provided. But even without the deal it's still a cheap protein that gets the job done.

Overall: Outstanding. I am very pleased with this protein and will be a staple in my stacks and as a standalone. The only downfall I have about this product is the amino acid profile could be a little better. As it stand the profile is per 100 grams which translate to approximately 3.5 scoops/servings. Another thing when I mixed it in my blender bottle it felt a filmy residue on the sides. No big deal though washed right off. I recommend people try this out, you wont be disappointed.

October 12, 2010

• Gas When Mixed With Milk
    I picked up eight tubs of Prota-Lyn off of BB.com when they had the BOGO free deal. I decided to give all of the interesting flavors a try, so I got Chocolate Marshmallow (2), Chocolate Mocha (2), Blueberry Cream (2), and Cookies and Cream (2).

My stack has consisted of Kre-Alkalyn, Gluta-lyn, BCAA-lyn, NO Shotgun, Multi, Fish Oil, Glucosamine Sulfate, Nitrox II, ZMA, Potassium, and Casein. Not all of these have been used the entire time, I used the Nitrox II pre-workout for about the first month, and just recently switched to NO Shotgun. I also just started using the ZMA.

So far I would have to say that I like the results I have gotten from the Prota-Lyn. I have stayed right around 195 pounds, while continuing to further Lean Out and get stronger. I definitely have had very good recovery which can be attributed to both the Prota-Lyn and Gluta-lyn. I have been taking 1 scoop first thing when I wake up with my oatmeal, and 1 1/2 scoops post-workout. It is a lean protein with hardly any fat and Cookies and Cream has the highest carb content at 4g I believe. So it is definitely a good protein for what I have been trying to do which is continue to Lean Out while maintaining weight and getting stronger.

A typical week of workouts is pretty taxing on my body. I lift every Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings at 6 a.m. I then have practice from 2-6 every night. So it is very important for my body to recover well so I can be 100% for everything I do. Mondays are explosive lift days (cleans, box jumps, etc...) and then I do pushups when I get home. Tuesdays are leg days and then I do muscle-ups, pull-ups after legs. Thursday is upper body, and Friday is strongman day (flip 800 pound tires, climb rope, plate pushes, etc...) All of this coupled with practice is very tough on the body, but I really do believe that the Prota-Lyn has given me very good recovery along with the Gluta-lyn. I usually am never sore, and I definitely do not cheat myself in the weight room. I go as heavy as I can, and push myself as hard as anyone so I think this really does provide increased recovery time.

For me, the taste and the side effects have a common denominator: milk. Mixed with milk and Prota-Lyn tastes AMAZING.

Chocolate Marshmallow: A very good chocolate tasting protein. Maybe a slight hint of marshmallow, but if you are looking more for a marshmallow taste then you will be disappointed.

Chocolate Mocha: Excellent! By far my favorite flavor of the four. Tastes very good in water, milk is just unbelievable.

Blueberry Cream: Tastes like a sweeter version of a blueberry. Tastes pretty good with milk, pretty average with water. However, this actually turned in to probably my favorite to mix with my oatmeal.

Cookies and Cream: Tastes sooooo good mixed with milk. With milk I might actually like this more than the Chocolate Mocha. But with water, it becomes very average and probably my least favorite of the four actually.

The Cookies and Cream has bits of Oreos in it and the Blueberry Cream has bits of blueberries in it. I actually really enjoyed the Oreos when I mixed the Cookies and Cream with milk, but both of them mixed with water taste a little artificial.

The only downfall is that when I mix with milk, I have the absolute worst gas imaginable. It definitely became less noticeable when I started mixing it with water. The mixability has been very good for me as well. I mix it with less fluid than the bottle suggest so as to give a stronger flavor and I still do not have any problems with the mixing.

Overall, I feel this has been a very solid product. If you are trying to lean up and keep muscle mass I would definitely suggest this product. The taste is phenomenal with milk, and is very tolerable with water. Good recovery as well, which makes this a solid product.

MP

September 2, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • High Absorption Rate
    • Get Free Gluta-lyn
    • Cookies
      just got done with my first tub of protalyn, and i got to say that i am very impressed. i got 2 three pound tubs of protalyn at bb.com for $30 and got a very good product. I got the cookies n cream flavor and it's a little weird at first but once you get used to it, it's delicious. It only has 2 grams of fat, 21 grams of fast absorbing protein, and 7 grams of carbs. The amnio acid profile is great, with 4.768 grams of glutamine, 5.382 grams of Isoleucine and 10.491 grams of Leucine. The recovery was good and overall it's one of my favorite protein products. I definately recommend to take advantage of the great deal at BodyBuilding.com