PRICES

Overall
Overall
  January 13, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tasty
  • Soy Free
  • Gluten Free
  • Prebiotic Fiber

I've tried more protein bars/cookies products than I can count/remember. Sometimes they're very good. Sometimes, they're very bad, and alas, many of them were not memorable in any way. When I find one that I like, I try to remember and get a box so I can review it.

When I saw Raw Fusion on sale, I decided to give them a go. I'm not a vegan, but I liked the idea of a whole foods bar, and I can always use more fiber in my diet.

I got a box of the almond berry bars. They are organic, soy-free, gluten-free, and have no refined sugar. The macros are:

1 bar
290 calories
11g fat (1g saturated)
33g carbs (7g fiber, 17g sugar)
16g protein.

As you can see, these bars are higher in carbs and fat/lower in protein than many others on the market. This isn't that surprising as it is a vegan bar and it has a lot of nuts and seeds.

The calories are a bit high for a protein bar, but I used these more as a meal replacement, so that was okay (along with a glass of Fairlife).

Micros:
Vitamin A 6% RDA
Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 10%
Iron 6%
Sodium 3%

The micros are pretty decent for a protein bar. The sodium is low, which I like. I get enough sodium in my diet already.

The Almond Berry tasted pretty good, 8/10. They're fruity and nutty as you would expect from the name "almond berry," but it took me a long time to figure out what exactly they tasted like. They tasted fruity, but I couldn't decide on which fruit they tasted like and there is a nutty flavor, but it wasn't clearly an almond flavor. Finally, I realized they tasted like the fig newtons my school gave out when I was a kid.

Take a fig newton, and make it a chewy bar with some nuts and here you go.

No mixability here.

Dose

I had one bar at a time. I know some people like to eat two for a meal replacement, but I found one filling enough. They are bigger than most protein bars. One bar is 70g. A lot of the bars I've tried were 50-60g.

For effectiveness, the three things I'm looking at are protein quality, satiety, and ease of digestion.

Protein Quality

Vegan protein sources typically do not have the best amino profile. Here, though, SAN uses a blend of vegan protein powders, which helps build a better profile. From what I can tell, pumpkin seed and pea (the two protein powders SAN uses) are complementary. It would be nice to see a bit of rice protein too, but this is a pretty good mix.

Satiety

I used these bars either as meals or in between meals to stay full. For me, they were quite satiating. After eating one, I wouldn't be hungry again for hours. (I'm always hungry).

Digestion

I found that these were very easy on the digestion. They used prebiotic fiber which is a plus.

These are a bit pricey. The list price is $30, which comes out to $2.50 a bar, but if you're patient, you can find them for less. They were 20% off when I got a box, which brought them down to $2/bar (still a bit expensive but more in line with the market), and SAN had a sale last month where they were 30% off, which gives you $1.75/bar.

I'm not sure how many good tasting vegan bars there are on the market, so they may very well be worth if you are a vegan (or if you don't eat dairy).

For me, I'll wait until they go on sale again.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I was pretty happy with these. They were tasty and filling. If they ever revise them, it would be nice to see a third protein source.
  • Almond Berry: 8/10

• JayT
    January 13, 2018

Never saw these before. Will have to look out for them in the future.