GlutaGen Reviews

By: RSP Nutrition

FORUM TOPICS
GlutaGen is a Glutamine Supplement manufactured by RSP Nutrition. It contains glutamine which is the most abundant amino acid found in muscle tissue; It helps support lean muscle gain.

Overall
Thanks to RSP Nutrition for sending it out!
  April 21, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Enhanced Recovery
  • Immune Support
  • Underdosed

Well hello again my SRreviews.com friends. I am a 45 (just turned) year old guy who is working on dropping fat and staying in shape. I try and train 4 to 5 days a week. During this run in the beginning I was lifting and hitting cardio. Towards the end I shifted into beachbody mode and started T25. I have taken some major life changes, (moving, relocating a business, etc). So I hoped that Glutagen would help in recovery so I could work out more. I also teach Martial arts 3 days a week. So I am busy just like the rest of you. A big thank you to the SRTrooper program and to RSP nutrition for allowing me to add this to my stack of recovery products. (I also started nutrabio's BCAA 5000 during this run)

The first listed ingredient is Niacin (as niacinamide) at 20mg. This has many listed uses, and is required for healthy cells. What I am not sure about is dosage, as if you are lacking niacin the dosage I found is 50mg and above. However this is found in eggs, fish, meat and etc... you get the picture? In my humble opinion most of us shouldn't be lacking this as long as we are eating healthy.

Vitamin b6 at 5mg, if you need more than by all means look at it. It is way under that max daily dose of 100mg, so it shouldn't hurt you and could help.

Magnesum 20mg. They have 3 versions in here and dosing is on the low end so I didn't really worry about it.

Glutagen Recovery Matrix 6000mg. This is the important part, as recovery is what I was looking for. The problem? One big proprietary blend.
l-Glutamine, Taurine, L-leucine, L-valine, L-isoleucine, CopMax (creational-o-Phosphate), Bioperine.

Does anyone see an issue here, I do. L-Glutamine tends to be dosed at 5g per day, and Taurine between 500mg and 2000mg, oops we went over. We haven't even added the BCAA's that are in here. So although this product has a bunch of stuff, we are not sure if it has enough of the stuff it has, if you know what I mean. So for me this one comes down to a need for more clarity in the ingredient list. Drop the proprietary blend so I know what I am getting. It would make judging this supplement so much easier.

I asked for the Orange flavor because I felt like it. I found it to be a rather light and pleasant taste. Nothing overpowering like tang or chemically like some other products.

I felt this mixed well in my shaker cup. I have the metal whisk ball in mine so I normally don't have issues. I also added some Emergen c in different flavors and found it all worked. I didn't notice any real issues. If I didn't shake it occasionally or let it sit too long it did have some settling.

Dosing is 1 scoop in 8 to 10oz of water after training or physical activity. For best results take on non training days as well. I followed that protocol as it is simple. On non training days I just mixed it in when I wanted a flavored drink.

So this is a tough one, because I have increased my training I know I should be a litter more sore. I was also on Nutra Bio's BCAA 5000 during this run. I did think that this helped, but I don't think it is the best product out their for recovery. I think if I would of used 2 scoops a day it would of helped more. I believe I got more out of EVL Helix BCAA or Nutra Bio's Intra Blast. If you are a smaller person this might work better for you as well.

The other thing I was impressed was the immune benefits. I thought I was doing really well, and normally when taking glutamine I don't get sick, so I figured I was good with what I am on. However right when I came off this, I got sick. Cough, cold, turned into pink eye, pretty much gave me a little over a week of pain in the butt. I don't know if I would of stayed on this if I wouldn't of got sick, but I thought I would mention it.

As of 4-21-2017 the prices I found are as follows.
www.rspnutrition.com @ $36.99
www.Bodybuilding.com @ $20.69
This is for 40 servings which isn't really that bad. As I stated above if your under 200# maybe this is a better deal. However for that price I can get Intra blast (only 30 serv) but it has more stuff in it as well.

Side Effects

I had no negative effects from this product during my run. It helped with recovery, but that is what it supposed to do.

Conclusion

Overall I find the ingredients very interesting. Some people say you really don't need extra glutamine, or BCAA's for that matter. However I think those of us weekend warriors that want to "try" something also want to feel or see something for our hard earned money. I don't think that this is a bad product, I just think that their are better products on the market for recovery. So if you are going to market yourself as a "Glutamine recovery complex" you should look at your competition and then meet them or beat them. If you are a smaller person, (under 200#) I would say you could give this a try. This is however Bro science as I don't know that my size made the product less effective or not. As always I thank the company and the troopers for allowing me to give this a try. I look forward to seeing what else they come up with.
  • Orange: 7/10

Overall
Overall
6.4
6.4
6.3
Thanks to RSP Nutrition for sending it out!
  April 14, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Enhanced Recovery
  • Dyes
  • Chemical Taste
  • Prop Blend
  • Underdosed

Back at it again for a review of RSPs recovery supplement Glutagen. I ran this for about a week and a half with their other product Amino Lean and a couple weeks as a standalone recovery product. I really like glutamine products for recovery and have had great success with them in the past. I feel this is a better product than their Amino Lean supplement, but still has a ways to go to can up to the rest of the field. More details below.

Once again, a prop blend. Very disappointing as their are a lot of ingredients that are well chosen but you don't know how much you are getting. The blend is a total of 6 grams, and includes glutamine, taurine, BCAAs, copmax, and Bioperine for absorption. Disappointing profile as most glutamine in. Last other products is dosed at 5 grams by itself. This would hypothetically leave little room for the BCAAs, to have any effect. Taurine has benefits, but it also used as a cheap filler a lot. I love copmax, especially in preworkouts as I have felt it has helped my endurance and recovery but with this blend, you really have no idea what you're getting. As with Amino Lean, solid ingredients, prop blend, and most likely very underdosed.

Mixability was fine and mixed easily. I had the orange flavor and although at first sip it tasted great, it definitely had a chemical after burn to it that was unpleasant. One scoop anytime for recovery preferably over workout is easy to follow.

So, I did have a slight bump in recovery time when taking this as compared to Amino Lean, but it was depending on dosage. While taking in conjunction with Amino Lean I would take one scoop post workout. DOMS would linger and I was not impressed. Upon finishing Amino Lean I used this as a part intra/post and upped the dosage to two scoops. When I did this, my recovery was a little better and I was able to get range of motion in my muscles back fairly quickly. Was it exceptional, best recovery product ever? Not even close. Products like Intrablast, straight glutamine/BCAAs, HIT reform matrix were all a lot better. In comparison to other recovery drinks, this is missing some other goodies companies are packing it with electrolytes, simple carbs, betaine, etc. So although I had a slightly better experience with this product, it still is far behind others in terms of effectiveness and profiles.

I believe they are trying to hook consumers with initial low price sticker shock as you get 40 scoops for $20. That value is outstanding. However since I needed 2 scoops it cuts the value in half, and then is not really competitive with other products out there.

Side Effects

Conclusion

A middle of the road recovery product at best, and with the fierce competition is probably not worth your money.

Overall
Overall
9.2
9.5
  April 30, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Amazing
  • Enhanced Recovery
  • Immune Support
  • Improved Digestion
  • Better Endurance
  • Good Hydration
  • Dyes
Introduction + Supplement Facts
This is a post dated review meaning I have finished it some time ago, but wasn't able to post it until now. I declare and promise that this product did not interfere with any of my TROOPS missions, nor was it stacked in a way of false values or ratings. RSP, most of you know them if you have been around bb.com and from a news article from Tommy sometime last year. Well I reached out to them for their DYNO Pre Workout a while back and wasn't sent a full container at the same time as receiving this product, which they had sent me along with many others! I wasn't expecting this product, nor the stack they had sent which I will review as appropriate and needed. Upon reading this label and mixing up the first serving of this product, I became excited to continue the use of it!

This is a rather unique take on a Glutamine supplement, as I have had several supplements vary from the plain Glutamine to ones with several forms in it. Let's get started with saying that this product and most if not all of the RSP line is Proprietary Blends, and if you have read my opinion on this in the past you should know I don't like them. This product comes in a 6g Blend, with the first ingredient being Glutamine and as most of us know the dosing range is 3g-5g for this ingredient alone so it could and should be well dosed but it is hidden in the blend. Taurine is also in here, but who knows how much of a dosage. It can be effective at small dosages or larger, but either way it is a bonus ingredient. Next we have BCAA's which are not disclosed of their ratio nor their dosage, but we know Clinically dosed BCAA's are 5g at a 2:1:1 ratio.. Copmax to top things off with the addition of the Biopereine. Overall this is a great ingredient label for a Glutamine supplement, while it is unique enough to compare and stand out from others. Another couple points to make is that this does have dyes and I hate that, but it does come as 40 servings which is excellent. Sadly it is a proprietary blend and none of the dosages are disclosed on the label, meaning it could be miss dosed but it appears to be appropriately dosed with my best guess where it matters.

To find out more about Glutamine check out the link below or in the Glutamine section on SR: https://examine.com/supplements/Glutamine/

Taste + Mixablity + Dosing
Oh BOY! This stuff is tasty! It is always a joy when something is flavored well, and of course none of these ingredients leave an after taste! Mixability damn near perfect, with no foam and little to no settlement! Dosing was easy: 1 scoop each time intra, after working out, on my off days, or simply before bed which I would not recommend due to the surge of energy (explained below).

Effectiveness 9.5/10
Does Glutamine work well for you? If it does then you have your answer for this product! Being our skeletal system is made up of "close to 2/3's of your free amino acid pool via the skeletal system and 20% via the plasma", it isn't essential meaning we are able to product enough of it and not need to supplement it.. That is of course for a normal person or the average, but due to the stress we put our bodies through we may have a decreased amount or benefit more by adding it for the many aspects. Typically I rely on BCAA's, Protein, and just my diet in general for the terms of recovery but a few times and before knowing the magic of BCAA's I supplemented with Glutamine. Fortunatly with Glutagen you don't have to settle for just Glutamine, nor do you completely need to purchase another recovery product like BCAA's as they are contained in here.. So with the combined effects of these ingredients I found the claims met in some ways: Increase Endurance, Build Muscle, Burn Fat, Recover Faster.. Endurance was noticeably better when taken Intra, but typically I had this after the workout which I would say hydration was improved as well. Building Muscle and Burning fat go hand and hand, but due to limitations such as duration I wouldn't be able to exactly pinpoint these two. Recovery was by far the most noticeable of all the claims, which as you could imagine that the DOMS were reduced and I felt more ready for the preceding workout. One benefit that I feel isn't typically known is improved digestion! Yes sir or ma'am, this was something that I felt upon many supplements and this is certainly something that I would continue to use for aiding my digestion (where glutamine alone is the case).

Value 9/10
It looks like the cheapest price you can get this is $15 for the unflavored version (40 servings on DPS), which comes to $0.38 per serving. Unfortunately the flavored versions cost a bit more, with the cheapest being $23 per 40 servings at MS coming to $0.58 per serving. It appears this is in line with flavored Glutamine products that contain other ingredients, but of course you could get straight Glutamine for cheaper yet nothing that tastes this good! The unflavored option is a good deal if you just add it to your post workout shake etc.

Overall Conclusion 9.2/10
Glutamine is a non essential amino, where it composes close to 2/3's of your free amino acid pool via the skeletal system and 20% via the plasma. There are a wide range of uses for Glutamine, and studies that support it and also not support it. Really you have to try it for yourself, being that science isn't always supporting of what we do or use.. For me it was very effective, and based on other reviewers for other Glutamine based products it is effective for them. Of course this isn't just a typical Glutamine Supplement, but so much more! I can say without a doubt that this supplement is great and I highly recommend it, but would like to see it become dye free (the unflavored is) and have a fully disclosed label. Thank you RSP for allowing me the opportunity to review this supplement, and I hope to see your participation with our TROOPS program in the future!
  • Orange: 10/10