Charge has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Charge Reviews

By: Royal Sport LTD

Overall
Overall
5.2
Thanks to Royal Sport LTD for sending it out!
  November 23, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Awesome Taste
  • Electrolytes
  • Cheaper Alternatives Out There.
  • Mediocre Recovery

Thank you once again to Royal Nutrition/Cellucor and SR TROOP for providing me with a tub of Charge to test out. As most of us utilize BCAA and intraworkout products as staples for periworkout nutrition and recovery, Charge takes an interesting approach with combining BCAA's and SAA's to assist with recovery and endurance. On paper, it looks solid, however it failed to deliver for me, unfortunately.

As usual, I've attached a copy of the ingredient profile.

Highlights per 1 scoop - 5g's of SAA's, 4g's of BCAA's in 2:1:1 ratio, and a glutamine/hydration blend.

We all know what BCAA's and glutamine do for us, so no need to reiterate any of that information. If you want to read a solid write up of what SAA's are and are intended to do, please take a look at garlicks review of this product. Basically another form of recovery, potentially protecting testosterone levels, as well as cellular regrowth.

(8.5)
I received the Raspberry Lemonade flavor and I enjoyed it a lot. Tasted pretty good, slight foaming, but all settled after a few minutes. Significantly less foaming in comparison to the BCAA products that have a hefty dose of L-Leucine.

(6.5)
I've only tried one other SAA product before and that was when BPI originally came out with Blox. So much hype so I decided to grab a bottle. Unfortunately, this product did nothing for me in regard to recovery and I could have sworn that I just paid $40 for a tub of overpriced Kool-Aid.

Recovery is where this product was lacking for me. The 2:1:1 ratio for BCAA's is solid IMO, but only contains 4g's. The additional 5g's of SAA's is what's supposed to make up for it, I'm assuming. Don't get me wrong, I did feel like this product did aid in recovery, but minimally. There were days where I was still having DOMS from workouts 3-4 days before, which typically never happens when I'm running straight BCAA powders, which is why I gave it the lower rating.

The positives are that I thought the hydration/electrolyte blend were solid. No issues with cramping or feeling dehydrated during my workouts.

(5.2)
Seems to be the reoccurring theme with Royal Sports products -- Charge is pretty expensive. Around $40 for a 30 serving tub -- not awful, but considering you can get an adequately dosed BCAA product for around $30, it would be hard for me to purchase this again, especially with the subpar results I experienced. Paying a little over a $1 per serving/workout. I do understand SAA's are expensive which is why I'm assuming the price tag on this is a bit higher than the norm in this category.

Side Effects

No issues whatsoever.

Conclusion

Overall, this would be a hard product for me to recommend. I know some others have had success with SAA products, however it seems that I may be a non responder. Again, I appreciate Royal Sports and SR TROOP for allowing me to test out a tub, but with the lack of positive results I experienced while running Charge in comparison with 2:1:1 and 8:1:1 BCAA products at a more reasonable price, it would be a hard sell for me.
  • Raspberry Lemonade: 8/10