KING WHEY Reviews

By: Ronnie Coleman Signature Series

Overall
Overall
Thanks to Ronnie Coleman Signature Series for sending it out!
  August 12, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Disclosed Protein Blend
  • Competitive Price
  • Solid Ingredient Profile

No lie, I was excited to grab a five pounder of King Whey via the CP Troop program. Big props to Big Ron for offering this opportunity. Whey protein has been a staple of my diet for years. I generally take 1.5 scoops daily, regardless of whether or not I work out, to supplement my protein intake. Usually I'm downing a shake sometime mid-day.

King Whey has a straightforward profile containing 20g whey concentrate and 5g whey isolate. Calories, carbs, and grams of protein per scoop are all on par with other major competitor protein powders (i.e. ON 100% Whey, Syntha-6, Combat, etc.). No complaints here and I appreciate the commitment to disclosing the grams of concentrate and isolate. There's also no additives which I rather like; no messing around with additional aminos, creatine, etc. Just straight up protein powder.

I asked for the Chocolate Brownie flavor. I've sampled just about every chocolate flavored protein on the market, and King Whey falls in the middle of the pack. I thought it had more of a chocolate-coconut flavor than chocolate brownie, and it was just slightly too sweet for me, but overall I liked it and didn't get bored of the taste as I worked through the tub.

Mixability was good. The powder is not as fine as others, which initially had me worried it would clump, but King Whey ended up mixing rather easily. I rarely had any issues with clumping in the bottom or in the lid of the shaker, foaming, or anything along those lines.

Protein is difficult to evaluate in terms of effectiveness in my opinion. I've had a really good stretch these past few weeks and have been feeling stronger and looking leaner. No doubt that regularly supplementing with King Whey contributed to this progress. No GI or bloating issues while taking this product, regardless of time of day that I had my shake. Unfortunately this didn't turn me into an absolute hulking monster...

The best I could find King Whey was ~$55 on BB.com. At 69 scoops per tub, this equates to a per serving cost of $0.80. This is right on par with what I personally want to pay for five pounds of protein, and is competitive with other similar protein products. Some examples - COR-Performance costs $0.93 per serving. ON Whey - $0.75 per serving. Syntha-6 runs $1.04 per serving. As stated - competitive.

I also like that King Whey is sold on major supplement sites. Right now buying a five pounder gets you a free 30-serving tub of Stacked NO. It's the deals like these that add to my personal perception of value and will usually sway my decision when I'm considering what to buy.

Side Effects

Conclusion

King Whey is all around strong. A solid and transparent profile, decent taste, and competitive price point make this powder a real competitor. It'll absolutely be on my list to consider the next time I'm shopping for protein, and I definitely recommend giving this a try if you're looking for a new daily protein supplement. Nice work RC Signature Series.
    • Chocolate Brownie: 7/10