(Better than 92% in Protein > Protein Bars)

PRICES
(1 ct) - [$2.99/ct]

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series
King Whey Protein Crunch Bar is a Protein Bar manufactured by Ronnie Coleman Signature Series. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.
FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Protein Bars

November 4, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good
  • Digests Easily
  • Good Texture
  • Fills You Up
  • Helps You Hit Your Daily Macros
  • Corn Syrup
Big thanks to RCSS for sending out a full box of their new protein bars. Big Ron and his crew have long been among the most generous reps on the site and Big Ron always has helpful feedback and kind words on all reviews, so for that I'm truly thankful. I thin it would be beneficial if more owners were as involved in feedback as Big Ron is.

Gonna break down just the main culprits here, which are the important ingredients facts (macros and additives). This bar has 240 calories, 90 of which come from fat, 84 come from carbohydrates and 80 are from protein. This is a nicely balanced bar. The protein source is mainly whey isolate, which is always a positive. The rest comes from whey concentrate (of which we don't know the % breakdown) as well as soy isolate. I could do without the soy, but a lot of companies do this so I can't say it's not commonplace. The only reason I didn't rate it higher is because as good as this tasted, I knew there must have been some additives that aren't the "healthiest" and one of them is corn syrup, which is a negative in my book. Take the good with the bad. Only 6g of sugar in this bar, however, which really isn't bad at all for how amazing this tasted (more on that later on). Overall, a very nice looking bar compared with a lot of others on the market.

Best tasting bar I've ever had, and it's really not even close at this point. I had the Triple Chocolate Brownie flavor and it was an overload of chocolate on the palate. If you're a chocolate lover, this may be the closest you can get to a real candy bar. The texture was also amazing, with the soft inside along with the crunchy topping making for a great experience. I enjoyed this bar immensely from the first one to the last. I would buy this bar again based on taste alone. This is one I think you need to really try for yourself to understand how great it really is. I'm very interested to eventually see how the Peanut Butter Cup bar tastes.

For me, effectiveness in a bar comes down to whether or not it satiated my appetite and provides sufficient protein between meals or in place of a meal. King Whey definitely helped to hold me over and fill me up when I needed it to and provided a solid 20g of mostly high quality protein. I don't think you can really ask for much more from a bar, and I'm not going to even bother talking about whether or not this helped with recovery or anything of that nature because that's not what this is designed for, in my opinion. This did it's job and did it well while tasting great. Good stuff.

8.5/10

Muscle and Strength has this right now for $26.99 per 12 bar box, working out to about $2.25 per bar. This falls right in line with a lot of other bars on the market, and considering how much more I enjoyed this bar than any other so far, I'd gladly (and will) pay this price. I'd be ecstatic were these to ever go on a BOGO deal or something of the sort.

Side Effects

Conclusion

8.8/10

RCSS cooked up some gold in the lab this time around. I'd advise anyone looking for a new protein bar to try this one out. I, personally, can't wait to eat this bar again in the future!
  • Triple Chocolate Brownie: 10/10

October 26, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Digests Easily
  • Good Texture
  • Tastes Good
  • Melts Easily

I've had zero experience with RCSS before now and my curiosity had never weighed strongly enough to try anything from the brand. It's a great opportunity to take a good look at this protein bar via the TROOP program to see how it stacks up against the competition.

Whey Protein Blend (Whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate)
Vegetable Oils (Palm, Palm Kernel, Soybean)
Soy Isolate
Natural Flavors
Reduced Mineral Whey Powder
Soy Lecithin
Cocoa

Taste

Here's where any bar should win first. Hopefully you've had these candy bars before in your life so this would make some sense to you. Imagine the qualities of Reese's peanut butter cup, 100 Grand, Twix and 3 Musketeers. This bar has a little something from each of those bars. The outer peanut butter layer and chocolate icing is like a reverse Reeses. The cocoa/chocolate crisps just beneath the peanut butter are similar to a 100 Grand bar. The oven baked center is like a cross between a Twix and 3 Musketeers. Is it as good all of these combinations suggest? Not quite, but it still makes the case for its own amazing taste. In terms of being a candy bar type protein bar, this is one of the best I've ever had.

There's a number of protein bars that are loaded with fiber to keep the net carbs down. Because the King Whey bar doesn't have a high amount of fiber, you won't deal with much gas. In addition, there isn't so much fat content that you're found more satiated by the fat than anything else. Long story short, this is a protein fuel bar that's easy on the gut, especially given the macros.

Direct sale prices notwithstanding, the normal price for a 12-bar box is $26.99. That's right in the range of other top tiers bars in the market. Where I believe this price point is justified is in the fact that it's a true whey protein blend... compared to some bars having blends with milk protein or soy protein.

Side Effects

The biggest flaw of this bar is how fragile the outer layer is above room temperature. I have 2 protein bars per day as part of my nutrition while I'm working in the field. The sun does tend to beat down on my truck and my meal bag therein. I've had half of my bars melt down to the crisps and force me to lick the peanut butter and chocolate off the wrapper (it's worth it). But any bar made this way would have the same issue in a little heat right? No. I'll explain further.

If I so much as gave this thing a rude stare I would find something along one side of the wrapper. Seriously, I have a measure in place for things like this. I would refrigerate and/or go so far as to stick them in the freezer. Even with that measure it still found a way to start melting in the afternoon.

Conclusion

The King Whey Protein Crunch bar has been a throwback for my taste buds. It was great getting a mashup of some of my favorite candy bars from my childhood. It was painful though taking them with me to work when the days are hot, leaving me no way to keep them cool when I needed them.

I do understand that there's a legion of people out there that will take issue with most of this label, because it's not a real food bar. This is a protein bar made to taste great. I can imagine that Ronnie Coleman's brand is shooting for some real level of quality and found it with this product. I would definitely want to pick up more of these... but not during the hottest days of the year in Southern California.

Thanks for taking the time.
As usual: Comments, critique, analysis, questions and/or thoughts are all welcome.

October 24, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good
  • Digests Easily
  • Good Texture
  • Fills You Up
  • Helps You Hit Your Daily Macros
  • Contains Trans Fat

38 years old and I lift 4-5 times a week. I weigh 240, so I require quite a bit of Protein intake daily to meet my macro goals. I like to have a Protein bar once a day in between meals for the simple fact that its easy to bring to work with me, eat on the go, and just to change it up rather than drink a protein shake! When I saw this opportunity on TROOPers I could not pass it up! Thank you to Ronnie Coleman and the TROOPer program for the opportunity to try out a box of 12 of these bad boys!

This has been covered quite in depth with the below reviews, but I will still go over the macros you are getting from these bars as well as my thoughts on this. Each bar is 57g in size and contains 240 calories (90 calories from fat), 10g Total Fat (6g Saturated Fat), 21g Carbs, 6g Sugar, and 20g Protein. Comparing this to my recent Protein bar obsession (ProSupps My Bar) this bar is 2g bigger, contains 20 more calories, same fat content, 4g more Carbs, and same amount of Sugar and Protein.

The Protein is a blend of Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Concentrate. Of note this does contain Soy, Milk, Almonds, and Peanuts, so if you have an allergy to those then this is not the bar for you!

All in all, not a bad profile for someone my size, as I can take in quite a bit of calories and protein daily, and have some more flex room with my Macro's. Sure, you can get a cleaner profile from a protein shake, but we all need a little variety and convenience in our life.

Taste: So I had also purchased a box of Peanut Butter Cup and received Triple Chocolate Brownie from the TROOPer program. I loved both flavors. Normally I am prone to love anything that tastes like a PB Cup, but honestly the Chocolate Brownie blew me away. The bar is not chewy and has a nice soft texture to it, it really does feel baked! You can eat it very easily just like a normal granola bar and not have to worry about crumbs going everywhere or the bar being too dry or flaky, so that is nice.

Mixability: Nothing to report here, its a bar!

Dosing: I ate one bar a day, usually in between Breakfast and Lunch.

I eat a Protein bar to help fill me up in between meals as a snack and to aid in hitting my daily Protein Macro's. I judge these off of how easily they digested, and if they filled me up or not. This bar digested very easily, and it did actually keep me full for close to 2 hours which was nice. I have tried a lot of Protein Bars, most are disappointing, and usually I am hungry 10 minutes after eating one. This was not the case here, this did its job of keeping me full until Lunch. Some days I would eat Lunch just based off time of day, and not because I was starving. I never felt bloated or had any weird GI issues or reactions to this bar! So yeah, it does its job as a delicious and effective snack.

The best price I could find this was on Ronnie Colemans website. It is currently $25.99 for 12 bars, coming out to be $2.17 a bar. You can subscribe and save 22% ($5.72) on your first 2 orders, and 18%($4.68) on all remaining orders, so that is an option if you want to keep this as a steady part of your daily diet. Typically I see most protein bars going for around the $2 mark, so this really is not so bad compared to how delicious and effective they were for me. I have seen lower standard bars priced much higher than this, so its about quality here which enhances the value.

Side Effects

None at all!

Conclusion

I was very happy to be able to try this new product from the RCSS line. Once again, I was impressed by Big Rons supplement line, and I do plan to keep this bar in my stack. I would probably just move to eating this 5 days a week or when I needed the added convenience due to travel for work or what not, and not as a daily thing. I really enjoyed both flavors, and i see there are new flavors coming out next year, which i am excited about. I truly thought My Bar by ProSupps was the best bar I had, but I was wrong, this is my new favorite. I highly recommend this product, and if you are tired of chalky, flaky, dry protein bars that have amazing flavors but taste like crap, then give this a go, it will change your perspective on what a Protein Bar can truly be!
  • Peanut Butter Cup: 9/10
  • Triple Chocolate Brownie: 10/10

October 24, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good
  • Digests Easily
  • Good Texture
  • Fills You Up
  • Helps You Hit Your Daily Macros
  • Reduce The Amount Of Saturated Fat
  • Reduce The Price

First and foremost I would like to thank Ronnie Coleman Signature Series for sending me out their product so I could try it and review it for you guys. I would also like to thank SR for providing me the opportunity and the tools so that I can share with you guys my experience.

I'm a 39 year old gym rat that ends up usually 5 times a day in the gym. I also play soccer twice a week when I'm not injured ... On Wednesday's doing some classes for that extra motivation ... My overall goal is to gain lean mass so that I can look impressive for the next summer ... I'm in constant need of protein since I work out ... especially if you go to the gym 5 times a week ... Bars are always a good source to get more protein in between meals.

The Good ...

20 Grams of Protein and all of it coming from Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate. They do have Soy Isolate listed but I'm not sure if it is considered for the protein itself.

21 Grams of Carbohydrates which 6 grams come from the added sugar. That really isn't that bad in my opinion. I actually prefer they use sugar in such small amounts than for example putting 20 grams of alcohol sugars or other sweeteners.

The Bad

10 Grams of Fat is a lot for a protein bar ... were 6 of them are saturated ... It's pretty high for a protein bar ...

35 Grams of Cholesterol .... again a little high than the average ...

Sodium is at 350 milligrams per bar and that is also a little above the average in the world of bars.

All this adds up to 240 calories per bar which isn't that bad ...

This bar is sooooo good. Right after a workout I usually reward myself with this bar. It is so tasty and delicious I enjoyed every bite. It's pretty much a healthier version of Resse's peanut butter cups. There are these crunchy pieces also that give the bar a little more depth. The oven baked procedure feels like it makes these bars less grindy.

Like most of bars these help you feel full between meals. It also helps me with getting my protein quota filled. It's becoming harder to get that 200 grams a day every day so having a bar and crossing out 20 grams of protein is a good thing. Also, it does give you that extra motivation to work hard because there is a treat waiting for you. It's silly but anything that can help doesn't hurt.

These bars are currently priced 26$ per box that has 12 bars. That comes out to 2.17 per bar and I feel that this is the only section that cripples these compared to others.

Side Effects

None, other than addiction.

Conclusion

I loved these bars very much. I enjoyed every one of them. They made my day after a work out. I'm probably going to buy some more for myself and maybe use them on my legs days since I feel they are kind of expensive compared to others. For me personally there are other less expensive options that I'm leaning towards but I will dish out some of my own hard earned money for the taste. Thank you for reading this and I wish you all a sweeter day.
  • Peanut Butter Cup: 10/10

October 17, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Good

Hello guys, it's time to review another product. I am a 45 year old supplement junkie. Since August I have been really focused on healthy eating. This led me to sign up for RCSS King Whey bar. I received one of each flavor which is not enough to do a review. However they where good enough that I bought 3 boxes (they where on better sale that way). I work out with weight 3 to 5 times a week and try to do cardio everyday. However being a father, husband and dog owner it doesn't always happen. Below is my log of what I was doing while using these bars.

Pages 39 through 43, I really didn't mark when I took them but that is the general time frame

Ok, so what is exactly in these bad boys, and do we like everything in here? First the breakdown of nutrients.

10g of Fat: I guess it could be a little less but it probably helps it taste better. There is 6g's of saturated fat which is 30% of the daily allowance of a 2000 calorie diet, so you need to take that into account.

35mg Cholesterol: If your like me this isn't bad, once again only 12% of your allotment. I always hate protein powders that have 70+mg's of cholesterol as it does add up if your watching.

350mg of Salt: Not too much and I am sure it helps the taste.

21g of carbohydrates: 1g dietary fiber, 6g of sugar. So as I have mentioned I would like a little less sugar, as I have been researching sugar and how it really has not value. But it is highly addictive and can cause issues with some people. The total amount of carbs didn't seem to be a problem as I continued to drop weight.

20g of protein: Which is a nice dose to use in between meals. Some people might need more and decide to have a protein shake to go along with it, but for me this was plenty.

Now for the important part, where is the protein coming from?

Most of the protein comes from Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Concentrate. However there is some Soy Isolate listed as well. I would like to know what the actual breakdown is in the 20 grams we get. I also am not a big fan of soy, and was surprised it didn't effect the taste for me.

Ok, if you read my log you could find out that I have been off sugar since August 2nd. What this means is the first sample bars I got I freaked out. The Peanut butter cup tasted like a peanut butter cup. The next day I had the triple chocolate brownie and to me it tasted like my wife's brownies. Now, in a fairness when you are not using added sugar and you grab a bar with 6 grams of sugar it will crack out your taste buds. I must admit that as I used them more often I found that they did drop a little in flavor. If I used them as an occasional "Treat" then they where still great. I do think that they are still the best tasting bar I have had. The whole baked cookie thing they have going is great.

There is obviously no mixing issue as these are a bar. You just open and eat, they are already ready to go.

Dosing is also easy. I used these after workouts some days. Sometimes I took them in the car when I was out for the day. Lastly I used them as snacks to get me to my next meal in the afternoon and a couple of times at night. Pretty much anytime you want or need to add 20 grams of protein to your body.

How do you judge the effectiveness of a protein bar? I am not sure how to answer it, so I will tell you what I think. This bar has 20g of protein, which allowed me to get a bump in protein. I also used it when I wasn't home and wanted something somewhat nutritious. I continued to drop weight and gain strength while using these. Is it a direct correlation? I don't know, but it helped me get through some days where I just needed something that tasted like it should be bad for me.

As of 10/17/2017

$25.99 which is $2.17 a bar. They have a discount with auto order of 1,2 or 3 months. First 2 orders 22%, after that 18%

$26.99 which is $2.25 a bar.

So for me these are very reasonably priced. The other bar I would compare it to is Quest, which I buy at my local Hyvee store for $24.99 or $2.08 per bar. I get coupons for them which drops them under $2.00 a bar, and with RCSS you have to look for sales and you can get them under $2.00 a bar. So for a easy to take with no mixing required food source I think they are a great value.

Side Effects

Taste buds that where blown away? Ok that is not a side effect, but I had no negative side effects so all is good with the world.

Conclusion

I personally have already told people to give this a try. I do kind of wish there was less sugar in them, but at the end of the day if you want to you can find a way to make them fit. I wouldn't suggest eating multiple bars a day if your trying to cut weight like I am, but whatever works for you. I don't think they are priced too high, if you can find them on sale then good for you. RCSS also has a auto order program that gives you a discount as well. So as you can guess, yes you should try these. Yes I will probably have a box of these in my house. I have however learned that I don't need one everyday, and honestly that makes them taste better to me anyway.
    • Triple Chocolate Brownie: 8/10

October 10, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Digests Easily
    • Good Texture
    • Tastes Good
    • Contains Trans Fat
    • Contains Collagen

I'm a competing powerlifter, and I spent the summer cutting, so that I would not have to water cut for my meet next month. Right now, I'm just maintaining my current weight.

These protein bars are oven baked and gluten free. They have 240 calories with 20g protein, 21g carbohydrates (1g fiber, 6g sugar), and 10g fat (6g saturated). The protein is whey isolate and whey concentrate. We don't know how much is isolate and how much is concentrate, but the isolate is listed first.

There's also 350mg sodium and 35mg cholesterol.

Other ingredients include: Soy Isolate, Collagen, Maltitol, and Mono and Diglycerides.

As far as I know, there are no vegetarian sources of collagen, so I would recommend that vegetarians not eat this protein bar.

Mono and di glycerides are trans fats, but they do not have to be listed as trans fat under FDA rules (since fats are defined as being triglycerides). It is unclear how much trans fat is in the product. At most, you should eat 2g of added trans fat for every 2,000 calories in your diet.

I was able to try the triple chocolate brownie and the peanut butter. The TCB was underwhelming for me, 6.5/10. It didn't taste bad, but there wasn't much chocolate flavor at all. I was straining to find it. When I hear triple chocolate brownie, I expect decadence and that was not present.

The Peanut Butter was considerably better, 8/10. It tasted like peanut butter and was sweet without being too sweet.

The bars are baked which gives them a softer texture than many other protein bars, and they have a nice crunch to them. I did find the bars, though, on the dry side, so you may want a glass of milk to wash them down.

There's no mixability factor here.

In terms of dosing, one bar would make a decent snack, not really enough to be a meal. Two bars could be a meal, but that might be too much trans fat. One bar could also be a good addition to a meal if there isn't enough protein present. Sometimes, this the case for me if I'm having pasta or a turkey sandwich or lunch.

Protein bars are just food. As long as they meet their label claims and as long as your diet is sound, they should be effective for you. I usually use protein bars to tide me over between meals. These protein bars kept me satiated for about two hours, which is fine for my purposes. I try to eat a meal every 4-5 hours, but if I'm working or running errands, I may need to stretch it for more. These bars would do well in a pinch.

I've seen these go for $3 for one bar and $27.99 for 12 bars. If you subscribe, then you can get them for about $22/box, which brings them under $2 a bar. I think this price is pretty okay. $2/bar is standard for protein bars when you're getting a 12 bar box. You can find them cheaper if you're thrifty/know where to look, but even if you get a good deal, you should expect to pay about $20 a box.

Side Effects

None, but if you have allergies, you should note that there is peanut and soy in the product.

Conclusion

This wouldn't be my every day protein bar (mainly because of the trans fat), but I could see it being an occasional treat. The peanut butter was good, and I would get it again. The TCB was not for me.
    • Triple Chocolate Brownie: 6/10

9.1
      September 23, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Tastes Good
    • Fills You Up
    • Digests Easily
    • Helps You Hit Your Daily Macros
    • Good Texture
    • Reduce The Price
    • Reduce The Amount Of Saturated Fat

Thank you to the Ronnie Coleman brand and the SR Trooper program for the chance to try this. When I have the opportunity to try a protein bar that I have not yet had, it peeks my interest. Knowing how respected the Ronnie Coleman brand is, I figured their protein bar would live up to the reputation. I will be reviewing this on the 2 bars that were sent to me. It is impossible to gauge the long term impact this bar would have but I will not assume and will rate it on how well these two servings worked for me.

In each bar you get:
    240 calories
    10g of fat which 6 of those grams are saturated which is a little high in my opinion
    21g of carbs, 6 of which are sugar
    20g of protein
    The protein is a blend consisting of Whey Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Concentrate. This does contain vegetable oils and corn syrup which may turn some off. I like that this has 20g of protein but would like to see the 6g of saturated fat reduced.

I had one each of the Triple Chocolate Brownie and Peanut Butter Cup flavor. Both were very good and tasted as you would expect by the name of the flavor. There was no mixing since it was a bar. The texture was good and was not too hard like some bars are and I didn't have to chew it for 10 minutes to swallow it. dosing was one bar.

I use protein bars for a few different reasons. There are times when I need some protein to hit my daily macros and a protein shake just doesn't seem appealing or I will be away from home and protein bars are an easier option. I also use them when I crave junk food or get hungry between meals. In these times they do the trick by satisfying my hunger and can feel good about not straying from my meal plan. Since they sent me two bars I used each one in a different way. I used one to hit my daily macros instead of another protein shake. This did the trick and allowed me to hit my daily protein macro. I saved the other one for when I was at work on a Friday and heard the vending machine say "hey you, buy something from me." I knew at this point I could break out my trusty protein bar which is what I did and did not give in to the vending machine. This digested with no issues and was easy on the stomach. I cant say how this helped with recovery since I only had 2 bars but i am not really taking this for recovery. Overall I would say these bars were effective.

I found them the cheapest on Ronnie Coleman's website at $26.99 for a box of 12 which comes out to $2.24 per bar. I am not sure what it costs for an individual bar if you just wanted to pick one up. I do realize this is in the upper range for protein bars but I do feel this is a good bar. If they can bring the price down in the $1.75-$1.99 range I am sure more people would buy these.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Ronnie Coleman and his team did a nice job with this protein bar. It tastes good and digests easily. They have a winner. I can't wait to see if they expand their flavors and are able to bring their price down a bit. I would recommend this bar to anyone who likes their protein bars.
    • Triple Chocolate Brownie: 9/10