Amino Tone Reviews

By: Ronnie Coleman Signature Series

Overall
Overall
Thanks to Ronnie Coleman Signature Series for sending it out!
  September 15, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased Hydration
  • Boost Of Endurance
  • Increased Recovery
  • Just Enough Flavoring
  • No Thermo Effect
  • Under-dosing In Some Ingredients
  • Proprietary Blends
  • Tons Of Taurine

I used this product a little differently than most people use a BCAA. Instead of drinking it during my workout, I would add 2 scoops to my gallon of water and drink it at my desk throughout the day. I used it during a cut to prevent catabolism while I sit on my ass reading spreadsheets all day with no food in my system.

6.5/10

It loses points right off the bat for the proprietary blends.

For the INTRA-Training Performance & Hydration Complex blend I did some calculations because the amount of Sodium, Magnesium, and Potassium are disclosed, and each is from only one source.
If the ingredients are listed in order by decreasing amounts, as is typically done, then there is less than 122mg of HICA per scoop, as 22.5mg of magnesium would equate to 122mg of magnesium phosphate.
Conversely, there is no less than the staggering amount of 2800 mg of the cheap filler amino taurine, which has hydration benefits up to a point but at that level, it seems it's just being used to make it look like there are more electrolytes and HICA due to being hidden in a larger total blend. There may be MORE taurine than that if the potassium disclosed includes that from the acesulfame potassium, but it specifies that the potassium is from potassium phosphate.

Unfortunately, the same type of reverse engineering can't be applied to the stim-free Fat Loss Support Complex proprietary blend. This could be as crazily lopsided as the prior blend in favor of the not-so-relevant L-alanine, or it could have even less of the proven ingredients like choline bitartrate and coleus forskohlii. There's no way to know and RCSS is hiding it away from the consumers to whom it should matter most.

It gets point back for having a full 5g of BCAAs in the common 2:1:1 ratio, and the relatively large dose of AstraGin for performance and amino absorption enhancement. The extra electrolytes are also a welcome addition. These are great intra-workout ingredients and the vast majority of the experienced benefits can be found right here.

7.0/10

I got cherry limeade. The flavoring was well balanced with 2 scoops in a gallon of water and with a scoop in 12-20 oz of water. So it had a lot of range for what ratio worked. It just didn't taste all that good.

Mixability was unimpressive with a noticeable amount of grit and residue always remaining at the bottom of my gallon, even though I swirled the jug pretty significantly before pouring it over to refill my 20oz cup that I drink from.

8.0/10

If you've used BCAAs, you know they make a difference in your gym performance. I saw what I expected from a pure BCAA product: decreased soreness and recovery time between workouts. More than I would have expected from a simple 5g BCAA product, so I definitely attribute some additional benefits to the AstraGin.
The anti-catabolic effects during my cut didn't have an appreciable and measurable effect so I can't speak to them. There were no additional toning or fat-loss effects from this product.

6.0/10

See attached price comparison image. You can get a pure BCAA product for way cheaper, and BCAA products with way more (and fully disclosed) extras for comparable prices. I wouldn't buy this if it wasn't on sale, although as an order add-on it might make sense.

Side Effects

n/a

Conclusion

7.0/10

It looks good as a 14.5 gram intra-workout product, and I somewhat trust Ronnie to let his reputation come before the company's bottom line. But the lack of disclosure on the label means that a hefty amount of that scoop might be cheap taurine and L-alanine that isn't doing you much good and just padding their profits. Without knowing how much of the good stuff I'm getting, it's impossible for me to say the value is very good. Because the benefits didn't significantly exceed what I would expect from a basic BCAA product, I'd have a hard time recommending this to others.
  • Cherry Limeade: 7/10

• BigRon8
    Rep for this Brand
    October 11, 2016

thanks for the feedback we will take it and try to improve as always