4 Gauge Pre Workout Reviews

By: Roar Ambition

Overall
Overall
5.5
Thanks to Roar Ambition for sending it out!
  August 6, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Okay Pumps
  • Naturally Sweetened
  • Increased Stamina
  • Low Creatine Dosage
  • Lacks Focus

I had never heard of Roar Nutrition or their product line until it came on the Trooper Program. After looking at their product the line, the pre workout intrigued me due to high l-citrulline Dl-malate and lower caffeine amount. Here is the review.

4 Gauge comes in a small thin tub that is shaped like a shotgun shell. Each bottle contains 20 14g servings and two scoops is a serving. Each serving of two scoops contains 5 calories and 4g of carbohydrates. It appears that the carbohydrates are from the dextrose and sugar alcohols in the product. After these, you have the ingredients that you traditionally see in a preworkout. The first is 6g of l-citrulline Dl-malate, which is for muscle pumps and can aide with endurance due to the malate. This is a great dosage for this ingredient. Next, you have 1g of creatine monohydrate, which can aid in power output, muscle building, and endurance. However, the dose in this product is much too low unless you are 75 pounds. Even if you were to already be saturated with creatine, I do not see 1g maintaining that saturation. I would have rather of seen 3-5g of creatine monohydrate in this product. Alternatively, a different form like creatine HCL could have been used. Following this, you have acetyl l-carnitine at 500 mg, which can help with focus. Then you have 300 mg of red beet root extract to aide with pumps and then 300 mg of coconut water powder for hydration. After these you have 200 mg of l-theanine, which can aid with energy. I also noticed that it will almost blunt caffeine and make it more level and steady in terms of the energy it provides. Next, you have 150 mg of caffeine, which is a good dosage. I personally like lower caffeine amounts but this is on the low end of what I like 120-275 mg. Lastly, you have rhodiola rosea powder at 100 mg and this can aide with fatigue when taken over a long period of time.

Overall, I liked the ingredient profile. My only concern is the low dosage of creatine monohydrate. It really should be more or I would have preferred they just not have it and add another ingredient instead. I would not mind the creatine be replaced with l-tyrosine or NALT for focus. I will note here that this is naturally sweetened and uses NO artificial sweeteners but does contain sugar alcohols. I personally do not have issues with sugar alcohols but some people can have GI issues from them.

4 Gauge only comes in one flavor and that flavor is fruit blast. When you first open the container you are hit with this fruit punch type smell that is candy and sour at the same time. The sour I believe is from the l-citrulline Dl-malate in the product as when I used to mix my own pre workout from bulk powders the smell was similar. It kind of smelled like tums, thinking about it that is the first thing of think of when smelling the powder. When mixed in water it lost the fruit punch smell and kind of smelled like alka seltzer. I will also note that when mixed it has a yellow tinge to it but is otherwise free of any dyes. When you drink it you get this very muted fruity taste that kind of was like one of those sweet tart candies. That did not really last long and you get hit with this sour taste. After this you are left with this sugar alcohol lingering taste/feel in your mouth. Overall, for a pre workout that does not contain any artificial sweeteners it was not that bad.

In terms of mixability, it mixed okay but there was sediment at the bottom after mixing it with cold water. Some of that sediment never really dissolved and I presume it might be the creatine as that is sometimes difficult to dissolve. As far as dosing goes, I used two scoops before workouts whether they were cardio or weight training. I usually do not do pre workouts before cardio but since this was lower caffeine I decided to use it for that as well.

I decided to rate this based on the claims made on the pre workouts website. They are power output, extended stamina, muscle pumps and focus. In terms of power output, I felt that this pre workout was consistent with others I have tried. It gave me consistent energy before I worked out, which in turn allowed me push myself. When I workout with no pre workout I notice I just go through the motions and I don't push myself. With this pre workout (and others) I felt that I was able to power through my workouts more effectively. This was very noticeable on days I took this before I ran as I was able to push farther and faster especially with hill workouts. Do note that I do not usually take a pre workout before I run but decided since the caffeine was low I would try it. As far as stamina goes, my stamina remained consistent throughout my run of the product, which was good. I noticed slight improvements in my stamina with running but I don't usually take a preworkout before running. I usually rely on whatever left over energy I have from my pre workout from the gym. As far as increased power output and stamina, I felt that this was an effective product and consistent with results I have had from other high quality pre workouts.

In terms of muscle pumps, I felt that this product was quite good. I noticed they were especially good on days that I did arms or calves. As far as larger muscles goes, I did not notice much above what I usually get in regards to pump. I felt this was on par with other pre workouts but I will say the pumps were good but did not last long. Other pre workouts I have noticed my pumps have lasted longer and I felt fuller throughout the day. With 4 gauge I noticed shortly after leaving the gym my pumps began to significantly dissipate (more so than other pre workouts). As far as focus goes, I felt that this product was lacking. I had more focus than when I just took caffeine but it was just not as good as other pre workouts I have tried. I feel like this should have had l-tyrosine or citicoline. I just found myself some days going through the motions without this helping me focus.

Overall, I felt that this was an effective product for power output and extended stamina. It was also slightly effective for muscle pumps but they did not last long. As far as focus goes, I did not find this that effective.

4 Gauge is only available direct from Roar Nutrition and it goes for $45 per bottle making it $2.25 per serving. Now, keep in mind when ordering one bottle you have to pay shipping of $7.95. You can also order two bottle for $90 and the price per serving remains the same but shipping is free. You can also order three bottles and you will receive one free for $135 making this significantly cheaper than the other options. You are looking at about $33 per bottle and $1.68 per serving. Overall, I feel like this is too expensive. The three bottle then one free option is just too much of a commitment for me. I always look for focus with a pre workout so based on what I experienced there are better and cheaper options. I feel like this should be priced $35-$40 to bring it closer to other pre workout products.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

4 Gauge might be worth a try but it comes at a high price. I felt that 4 gauge was effective for power output and increased stamina. It was somewhat effective for pumps due to them not lasting long and as for focus it was not that effective. It is priced quite high unless you purchase three containers (get one free so 4 in total). In the end, it depends on what you like in a preworkout. Personally, I don't think I would purchase this product after having tried it but I am glad I was able to try it.

-Xcmiler
  • Fruit Bast: 7/10