(Better than 54% in BCAA/EAA/Intra-Workouts)

Aminoaide is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Rexx Sports Nutrition. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

July 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Effective Hydromax
  • Decent Value
  • Improved Recovery
  • Powder Clumping

A quality, simple BCAA product at a competitive price.

As I've written in other reviews, I'm a fan of consistently supplementing BCAAs for overall health and recovery. I try to ensure I'm ingesting 5-10g of BCAAs every morning during my fasted window, regardless of whether I work out or not. I tend to prefer simpler BCAA products that don't contain prop-blend complexes or various filter ingredients, thus I was really interested in running Rexx's AminoAide.

For most of my BCAA supplements, I am primarily concerned with the actual dosing of BCAAs. 5g of essential BCAAs per serving has been clinically proven to be the minimum effective dose for an average-sized human. AminoAide does meet this mark at a 3:1:1 ratio. I personally don't have a preference when it comes to BCAA ratio, so long as the profile includes at least 1g each of isoleucine and valine.

AminoAide also includes relatively low doses of L-carnitine and Hydromax. As others have written, Hydromax is a rather intriguing, patented glycerol powder which increases fluid concentration in the body and promotes a state of hyper-hydration. Clinical dosages range from 700mg and up, so the 740mg included in a single scoop of AminoAide is sufficient but I wouldn't have minded a stronger dosage.

I requested and received the Snow Cone flavor, which I very much enjoyed. It had a strong raspberry flavor and reminded me of bomb pops. Absolutely delicious in 32oz. of ice water.

I generally dosed one scoop per day and sipped either preworkout or throughout the morning. Mixability was not a problem. No major issues with foaming or clumping when mixing the drink, however the actual tub of powder was extremely clumpy and almost wet. Some sort of hydration-absorption packet needed to be added as the last dose was basically caked onto the sides of the tub and had to be scraped off.

I personally can't tell the difference between most BCAA products. I do notice a difference in my general recovery time and the amount of DOMS I experience when I'm taking a BCAA versus when I'm not, but not usually between individual supplements. AminoAide was right on par with most other intraworkout products I've reviewed recently in that it provided solid recovery support.

What I did notice was that, despite the lack of traditional hydration-focused vitamins and minerals in the profile of AminoAide, I felt as though the Hydromax was doing its job and keeping me hydrated throughout my workout. I often find fatigue settling in sooner during lifting sessions where I'm running a BCAA that lacks these ingredients, but not so with AminoAide.

I did not notice any significant differences in muscle volume or pump, even during those few times when I experimented with 1.5 scoops of AminoAide. I do wish I'd pushed it higher, at least once, in order to gauge the effectiveness of a full 2000mg of Hydromax.

Most solid BCAA supplements will cost you around .80c per serving. Some of the flashier products with broader ingredient profiles will run you closer to $1.00 per scoop.

AminoAide can be bought on Amazon at $23.50 for 30 scoops or .78c per serving. This is right on par with other BCAA supplements. Sure, you could find a cheaper product and dose Hydromax separately for around the same price, but personally I find this price point to be on target, a good value, and what I would expect to pay.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I really enjoyed my run of Rexx's AminoAide. I'm going to continue to look for products that include Hydromax in the future, and would recommend this BCAA product to anyone needing a basic recovery supplement.
  • Snow Cone: 9/10

June 19, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Effective Hydromax
  • Reduces Soreness
  • Hydration Lacking

A really good intra product that helps with recovery and pump.

Hey SR, here today to review Rexx Sports Nutrition's intra product called Amino Aide. Amino/Intra products are a staple of mine since I train fasted in the morning and want to stay out of a catabolic state. They are also great for helping with DOMS so I almost always have one on hand. Some of the premium ones have a ton of extras, and this has a couple itself, so let's see how it did for me.

Fully disclosed and transparent profile which is very nice. In a little bit of a difference, Amino Aide has a 3:1:1 ratio of BCAAs for a total of 5 g. Most people prefer the more tested 2:1:1 ratio but I do like leucine heavy formulas myself. At 5g, it's a little lighter than I prefer but a good number. Then we have some extras with 1 g of Carnitine and 750 mg of Hydromax. Since I am cutting, I like to see the carnitine here at a good dosage for engery and metabolism. I always view a pump as a bonus and don't necessarily seek it out, but Hydromax is one of the better ingredients for me for a pump so I like to see it here as well. No electrolytes, stims, or other endurance ingredients however Hydromax sould help a little with hydration as well. Overall, a solid intra formula with some nice extras so I was eager to try it out.

Dosing is whenever really but geared towards an intra and I always took it as so, sipping throughout my workout. Mixability was great, no excessive foaming even with the added leucine. I had the mango breeze flavor and it was awesome, very tropical and refreshing. Nothing to complain about here.

I'll judge this in a couple of different ways. Number one I believe it kept me out of a catabolic state as I did not see muscle mass decrease and I maintained all of my strength even though I was in a caloric and carb deficit throughout my run. Second, this did a great job of decreasing my DOMS where I was only sore about 2 days after my heavy lifts. I felt I recovered very well and was able to continue to train in an aggressive way. Also exceeding expectations was the pump factor. When taken in conjunction with a good preworkout I did experience very nice pumps that were extended by taking this. When taken without a preworkout though I didn't get too much, but I usually take a preworkout so this was a nice bonus. Where this hurt the most was hydration. I did end up missing electrolytes as it's already very hot here in AZ and after playing basketball I felt a little more dehydrated than when I have run some other intras. Overall though, Amino Aide did a great job for me in terms of recovery and pump and I would definitely take it again.

I think this has a great value at $24 for 30 servings on Amazon. With the aminos and a couple extras, coupled with its effectiveness, this has a very strong value for me and I would buy again at this price.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I feel this is a well above average amino/intra product that has a strong value. Highly recommended.

6.8
  May 17, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Effective Hydromax
  • Decent Value
  • Solid Endurance
  • Low Dosages
  • Subpar Recovery

My first experience with a Rexx Sports product was a bit underwhelming. I chose to review this supplement because it offered a solid BCAA dosage along with Hydromax, and because it was a zero calorie, zero carb product which fit well on my ketogenic diet.

First, thank you to the SR Troops program and Rexx Sports for putting this product in my hands. Aminoaide offers a solid ingredient profile and is carb and calorie free, which was a major plus for me as I am cutting using a ketogenic diet. On paper Rexx Sports Aminoaide showed promise as an intraworkout supplement, but it just didn't deliver as well as I had hoped. That isn't to say that this isn't an effective product, it just fell short of my expectations.

Aminoaide has a pretty standard BCAA profile. 5g of BCAAS in a 3:1:1 ratio:

3000mg Leucine - The amino acid responsible for initiating muscle protein synthesis
1000mg Isoleucine - The amino acid which aids in fat burning and inhibiting fat storage
1000mg Valine - The amino acid responsible for reducing fatigue and increasing muscular endurance

There is some debate as to whether a 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAS is better than a 3:1:1 ratio. Scientific studies have not determined a significant difference in effectiveness between the two ratios, however it is recommended that isoleucine and valine should be dosed at least 1000mg each

What really attracted me to Aminoaide though was the inclusion of Hydromax. Hydromax glycerol is a patented, unique blend of glycerol and silica which produces a stable, highly concentrated glycerol powder. Glycerol is a sugar alcohol which is very easily absorbed by cells and helps to increase fluid concentrations in blood and other tissues. This leads to a state of hyperhydration, which allows your muscles to store more fluids, delaying dehydration and fatigue. Clinical dosages range between 700 to 2000mg. At 740mg, this ingredient is clinically dosed, however on the lower end of the spectrum.

Aminoaide also contains 1000mg of L-carnitine, a "amino like" compound that is primarily a fat transporter, responsible for transporting fatty acids to the cell's mitochondria to be used as a fuel source and to generate ATP. Clinical dosage is between 1000-2000mg, putting this at the lower end of the recommended dosage.

Taste: 6/10
I requested and was provided the Mango Breeze flavor. I've only recently began to come around to mango flavored supplements, so my expectations weren't incredibly high. While this flavor wasn't bad, it didn't blow me away either. It had a decent fruit flavor that was a bit on the sweeter side, however it did not taste artificially sweet. The flavor was very strong however, and there was somewhat of an aftertaste. It wasn't a chemical taste, but rather one that I can only think to describe as savory. Odd as it may sound, I didn't mind the taste and became more tolerant of it the longer I used this product.

Mixability:
I mixed this product in a water bottle with a few hard shakes and never had any issues with mixability. It dissolved quickly and completely with no sinkers, floaters, or residue.

Dosing:
One 8g scoop. Generally, I mixed this product into a full bottle of water. When I first began taking this product I usually had to add more water every few sips because I found the taste to be a bit too strong, however over time I became more accepting of it. I used this product primarily as an intraworkout, however I did use it post workout on a few occasions to determine if there was any difference in effects.

In the hopes of better breaking down the effectiveness of amino supplements, I have decided to judge them in two separate categories as I do with my preworkouts. The categories are:

Endurance (7/10)
The highlight of this product is in its ability to increase endurance, primarily through hyper hydration. While using this supplement as an intraworkout I felt much more hydrated and noticed less muscle fatigue during and between sets. This allowed me to squeeze out a few extra reps and left me feeling much less fatigued by the end of my typical 2 hour workouts. Aminoaide was about on par with other amino supplements I have used in this category. While it didn't blow me away, it was effective.

Recovery (6/10)
Subpar performance in this category. While there was some reduction in DOMS while using this product, it wasn't as much as I had hoped for and the difference in soreness between days I used this product and days I did not was minimal. I even tried using this product as a post workout supplement in the hopes that the difference in timing may change the effectiveness, however it did not.
- It should be noted that I have been cutting weight throughout the duration of my use of this product. Generally, weight cutting is known to have a negative effect on recovery and may have influenced my experience with this product in terms of this category

While Aminoaide was at least minimally effective, it did not stand out or impress in any way when compared to other similar products. Endurance could possibly be improved by switching to a 2:1:1 ratio of BCAAS and increasing the dosage of Valine, and/or possibly by increasing the dosage of Hydromax as well. For recovery I would recommend either upping the total amino dosage to 7g or including some EAAs such as L-Glutamine to assist in that category.

The cheapest I found this product for was $23.50 for 30 servings on Amazon. This is somewhat on the higher end of price per serving for aminos, and while that can be forgiven due to the inclusion of Hydromax and L-carnitine, there are equally effective products available for slightly cheaper prices.

Side Effects

No negative side effects were experienced while using this product.

Conclusion

Rexx Sports has the blueprint for a very effective product, however as it stands, it is just another middle of the road amino supplement. While it doesn't fail to produce results, it doesn't stand out in any way in a crowded corner of the supplement market. A few tweaks to the formula could push this product to the forefront and overtake the competition.
  • Mango Breeze: 6/10

May 16, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Effective Hydromax
  • Reduces Soreness
  • Low Dosages
---Quick Summary----
A BCAA supplement with a few add-ins. It's a bit expensive for the cost conscious but there is value in it, especially if you are a fan of the hydromax. Limited ingredients and dosages keep it from being a full featured intra or post and competing with some other brands.

Greetings SR! Back again with another review and this time it's the Intra/Post BCAA supplement Aminoaide. Firstly, I want to thank the SR TROOPs program and the REXX rep, rexxsporrts, for giving me the opportunity to try this product out. If you want to know of my background, you can find it in my profile here at:

Three main pieces to this supplement: the BCAAs, L-Carnitine Tartrate, and the Hydromx.

Firstly on the BCAA, this had 5gs total in a 3:1:1 split. I generally look for the more common 2:1:1 ratio but I have no issue with this ratio either, I don't typically notice much of a difference as long as its at least pretty close.

Secondly we have the L-Carnitine Tartrate dosed at 1,000mg. This is on the lower edge of what is considered an effective dose. Depending on how you take this supplement, this might be a good amount or on the low side.

Finally we have the Hydromax 65% at 750mg. For those not familiar with Hydromax, essentially what it does is allow more water to be retained in your system. Hydromax is marketed as a pump ingredient since it leads to that "Swole" look but also aides in keeping you hydrated. Most sups that I've seen with this ingredient have between 700mg and 2000mg so this is in line with that but on the lower side.

Overall profile of this product isn't bad, on the light side of ingredients from a dosage standpoint but not to the point I wouldn't expect to see effects.

Only other thing worth mentioning here is that the product does contain sucralose so for those that prefer a more natural product, this might be of concern.

I asked for and received snow cone flavor. It took some getting used to as it was a much stronger flavor than I expected but did kinda sorta remind me of something like one of those red white and blue popsicles you got from the ice cream truck as a kid. By the end, I was actually enjoying it a lot, but taking it with less than 20 oz of water really makes the flavor too strong for me.

Dosing is a single scoop and the product is marketed as an intra/post workout supplement. The scoop is only 8g so not huge by any standard and it mixes up pretty easily in a shaker bottle with a fair amount of foaming that quickly dies down. There is a large amount of clumping, pictured below, in the tub but it didn't carry over after shaking. I do have a bit of a gripe about the clumping as it sticks to the bottom of the tub. The last 2 scoops I got out of the tub I had to scrap the side and I'm pretty sure there was enough product I couldn't get to at the bottom that would have resulting in another 1-1.5 scoops. Having received this through the TROOPs program, I can't complain too much but if i purchased it, I would be a bit peeved I wasn't able to get all it out.

I tried this 3 different ways, both as an intra or post as described on the tub and also in the mornings. As an intra workout powder, its okay but not particularly effective. I didn't notice more of a pump with this product and I expect it was that the hydromax just wasn't dosed high enough. As an intra, the benefit here is with the BCAAs for me and they did just about as well as other BCAA products I have had, enough to help decrease DOMS the next day but not a huge effect. The post was very similar, the BCAAs help to decrease soreness but not a huge difference and about the same as other 5g BCAA sups. The hydromax and Carnitine didn't provide much of a noticeable effect.

I tried both of these profiles for about 2 weeks and then switched to taking it in the morning. My reasoning for this is that although the hydromax wasn't a great pump inducer for me, i did notice i had a slightly higher water retention with better hydration. It wasn't a huge amount but it was enough to see an effect. I have run BCAA products in the past this way and liked it so it was a natural switch. The results were positive, I mixed one scoop with just about a liter of water and drank it over about 1-2 hours. This kept my hydration levels up with a rather tasty drink, as well as getting me the BCAAs in the morning to keep my muscles getting some support. This to me was the most effective way to take the supplement.

The cost of this supplement is $23.50 for a 30 serving tub, coming out to just about .79 cents for a serving at Amazon. This puts it fairly high on the servings for a BCAA product but then again, this isn't just a straight BCAA product since it includes two other ingredients, one of which being the hydromax that I saw good effects out of.

So is there value in this product? Sure, but it's somewhat in the convenience factor as you can get a much higher dose of hydromax, 2,000mg, for about .35 each. If you add in a BCAA supplement, you can get a higher dosage of ingredients for the same price or a little better. I can't say that there isn't value though because 1) that's true of most supplements that have a mash-up of ingredients and 2) it's a pain mixing powders and pills and there is value in having everything together in one product, especially if it tastes pretty good.

Side Effects

None, you're going to pee a lot if you take the amount of water needed to get the full effect of hydromax, but thats kinda the point.

Conclusion

This is a decent to good product from Rexx and I would definitely get it again. My workout plan has me doing HIIT/tabata workouts after my lifting and keeping my hydration up is important so that I can get the most out of those. The hydromax added to a BCAA powder worked well for me supporting this. I don't believe this is a great intra or post workout however as it doesn't have some other ingredients I would like to sees such as citrulline, taurine, glutamine or betaine. However, at the price, this product does meet a need pretty well, recommended.
  • Snow Cone: 8/10