MRE Reviews

By: Redcon1

Overall
Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  September 13, 2018

• No Amino Profile
  • Low Fat
  • Beef Protein Isolate

INTRODUCTION

Thanks to Redcon1 for participating in the SR TROOP program and SupplementReviews for making this connection possible. I was looking for a product to help me lean bulk and I was able to grab MRE. I also wanted to try a real meal replacement supplement. I was also curious of how these ingredients would work together...

INGREDIENT PROFILE

Other users did a good job explaining this section.

Protein Types: Beef Protein Isolate, Salmon Protein, Chicken Protein, Egg Albumin, Brown Rice Protein and Pea Protein. But there's also Oats and they have Protein also so I wonder how much Protein is coming from the Oats...

Carbohydrates: Rolled Oats, Dehydrated Yam, Dehydrated Sweet Potato, Pea Starch.

Fruits: Coconut Water Powder, Dehydrated Blueberry Fruit, Dehydrated Goji Fruit.

Fat: MCT Oil. This is where the product is lacking, Total Fat.

Overall, great profile but I'll have to give it a 8.5/10 because fat needs to be higher and also we don't know how much Protein is coming from the Oats. Also using Beef Protein Isolate will reduce a bit the points given because there are high doubts companies use real meat without the other parts of the meat to get the protein.

TASTE/MIXABILITY/DOSING

*TASTE: I received Banana Nut Bread. P E R F E C T. Just like the name says, it was a combination between Banana, Nuts, and Oats, all of them balanced greatly. 10/10

*MIXABILITY: It wasn't bad and there were no clumps. However, you might feel the oats at the bottom of your shake. The easy way of solving this minor issue is to revolve/swirl the liquid when you're close to the bottom of the shake, that way you won't feel the oat particles or whatever their name is lol.

*DOSING: I usually just took 2 scoops per day, sometimes took 3 scoops, especially when used as a real meal replacement. Tried it once or twice with 4 scoops just to test it. The amount of liquid (usually water) I used for 2 scoops was 8oz and 12oz for 3 scoops.

EFFECTIVENESS

I used MRE to add extra Protein and Carbohydrates to my daily diet for the purpose of lean bulking and I also used it for being a real meal replacement, for example, when I didn't have time to eat a proper pre-workout meal, I would use MRE. In both of these situations, MRE was very effective. The fact of not having any dairy protein (whey, casein) was excellent, first to 'rest' from them and second because milk and pre-workout supplements usually don't react well together, at least in my case so it was excellent to use as a pre-workout meal. It was also effective for adding extra Protein and Carbohydrates. 2 scoops gave you 37g Carbs and 23.5g Protein, that's a good amount for any person to add to their diet, let's say if your breakfast, dinner or lunch lacks any of these 2 macronutrients.

MRE was an excellent addition to my daily diet, without digestive problems, kept me full, helped me as a pre-workout meal, helped me reduce cravings, helped me to replace any of the daily meals... overall, excellent! I would have given a 10 on Effectiveness if it wasn't for the low amount of total Fat. It only has 4 grams of Total Fat and that's based on a full serving (4 scoops) so 2 scoops give me 2g and 3 scoops 3g. I think Redcon1 was scared the Fat would cause digestive issues so they decided to put a low amount.

VALUE

MRE's website has it for $59.99 right now, they had it on $79.99 days/weeks ago though but you could always find some 20% coupon somewhere. BB has it for $79.99 but all 3 flavors are in backorder so something might happen there. GNC has it for $79.99 but I think it has a BOGO 50% offer right now. Amazon has it for $79.99. Walmart has 2 units left on $64.99. FitnessfirstUSA has it on $64.99. So anyways, $79.99 seems to be the "standard" price but there are always coupons/discounts/promos/etc that you can use to make it cheaper. I saw a great deal on MRE but I won't say it because I don't want you people taking my products! hahahaha

SIDE EFFECTS

SUGGESTIONS FOR THE COMPANY

1. Add more Total Fat (the good healthy fat of course) to this product... OR make another MRE with more Total Fat. Some avocado powder would be good.
2. Consider replacing the Beef Protein Isolate or putting less of it and more amount of the other types of Protein.
  • Banana nut bread: 10/10

• September 13, 2018

Good review man. This stuff looks really interesting. Pretty cool they can make it taste that good with that variety of protein sources.

• htevans
    September 16, 2018

Download their app. The other day it was 50% off on the app + shipping.

• MarsheS
    September 17, 2018

@RobertMc1982 Thanks Robert. Yea that was surprising too.

@htevans Thanks for that info!