(Better than 21% in Energy Supplements > Nootropics)

MENTAL TRIGGER is a Nootropic manufactured by Redcon1. It is natural supplement that supports increased mental focus and concentration.

Overall
Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
  April 17, 2018

• Under Dosing Is A Recurring Theme

Thanks to RedCon1 for their participation in the SR Troop Program and sending a bottle of Mental Trigger my way for review. Mental Trigger is in the ever growing class of focus/nootropic supplements. A category that seems to be aimed more at tasks not involving working out. And personally I love this category of supplements. My work life involves long days that are sometimes quite arduous. So having something to put a little extra pep in my step and keep me sharp is a huge plus.

While doing my research on this supplement to find the low price I came across a discrepancy. That discrepancy is that both Muscle & Science and Lucky Vitamin list this supplement as containing Noopept. The bottle I received and their website do not include this ingredient. I'm going to assume that the bottle and Redcon1's website are correct on this one. Maybe a formula change has taken place? The onus is probably more so on the retailers but seeing as I am fond of noopept, I would be thoroughly pissed if I ordered this and it showed up without my favorite nootropic compound. I included a small screen grab from Muscle & Science's website and the profile from Redcon1's website as well so you can see for yourself. Anyway, moving onto the rest of the story.

Good old caffeine anhydrous makes an appearance at 250mg per serving (2 capsules) and I have said before that I think 250mg is the sweet spot for caffeine.

Next on the list is 100mg of Hesperidin. I wasn't very familiar with this compound so I did some digging on its efficacy as to how it would fit into a focus supplement. It seems to serve as somewhat of a neuroprotectant and protects organs other than the brain from oxidative stress. The research doesn't seem to be very strong in its support in this regard and even if it was the recommended dose to reap the benefits is 500mg. So not much going here with a dose of 100mg of a compound without strong research to support its efficacy that should be dosed at 500mg.

Moving onto the next ingredient and you have 50mg of Theacrine. The effects of Theacrine can be similar to caffeine as a standalone but it has gained popularity in the last few years as being stacked with caffeine to help enhance the positive effects and mitigate the negative effects over caffeine by itself.

Next is Mucuna Pruriens (standardized to 60% L-Dopa) at 35mg. Most people have seen this on a supplement label at one time or another. As the name would allude, L-Dopa is a precursor to dopamine. Let's just first say that 35mg is not much of a dose when you consider that 5g is the studied effective dose of Mucuna Pruriens powder. Even an L-Dopa extract should be supplemented at 500-1000mg. So why even talk about potential cognitive benefits when you won't get any at this dosage?

For the next horrendously under dosed compound we arrive at 30mg of Alpha-GPC. Effective clinical dosage would be somewhere between 300-600mg. Unless this is some kind of super extract that I am unaware of, this is dosed at 5-10% of where it should be. So why even bother talking about it any further?

Rounding out the profile is 5mg of BioPerine (black pepper fruit extract) which has been shown to improve bio-availability of other supplements. Most of the actual research I could find pertained to enhancing the absorption of curcumin and is often found alongside tumeric in a dose range of 10mg-20mg.

The recommended protocol is 2 capsules in the morning 30-45 minutes before breakfast and an optional 2 more 30-45 minutes before lunch. With 30 servings in the bottle you are going to run dry real quick at 4 capsules per day. The majority of my run was spent taking 2 before breakfast to help kick start my day.

It didn't fall completely flat for me but this was far from the best focus/nootropic supplement I have taken. Honestly the effects weren't much different than popping a couple of cheap caffeine pills. Did it increase energy and focus? On a negligible level yes. But nothing like I was hoping.

The cheapest I found anyone selling Mental Trigger was $38.99 and you have to also add shipping to that unless you are spending over $99 at M&S. Otherwise the two places I looked were $50 for a bottle. Given the generally under dosed nature of this product and the price tag and then factoring it only lasting 15 days if you do two doses per day, the value is pretty horrible. Even at one dose per day the value isn't good. There are supplements in this category that can be found for less and work much better in my opinion.

Side Effects

No unwanted side effects from taking Mental Trigger.

Conclusion

This is my first experience with RedCon1 and I'm not going to bash the whole company. It seems like they do have products that people enjoy out there. But I am definitely not recommending this one to any of you boys and girls. There are just too many better options out there to spend hard earned dollars on this one.

Other Prices:
    Muscle and Strength   $38.99
    Lucky Vitamin   $49.99
    A1Supplements   $49.99

Overall
    Thanks to Redcon1 for sending it out!
      March 13, 2018

• Increased Focus
    • Better Mood

Whats up SR, figured it was time to drop my review of Mental Trigger by Redcon1. I decided to review this product because being that I am a big fan of Nootropics and stimulants this seemed like a perfect fit for me. Shoutout to the Trooper program and Redcon1 for sending this out.

Right off the bat we have a fully disclosed profile as well as disclosure of the exact qualities of ingredients, a big plus in my books. Lets take a look at what that entails and touch on some of the key pieces:

Caffeine Anhydrous - 250mg
    Hesperidin 92% (Citrus Sinesis [Peel]) - 100mg
    Theacrine (Teacrine) - 50mg
    Mucana Pruriens (60% L-Dopa) - 35mg
    Alpha GPC (90%) - 30mg
    Bioperine - 5mg

So some of those ingredients are pretty standard (i.e Caffeine), but some may not be as known, lets take a look:

Hesperidin - this is a very powerful antioxidant but is also known to help everything from blood circulation to reducing stress, anxiety and overall helping protect the brain from stressors (chemical, physical and emotional).

Mucana Pruriens - otherwise known as Velvet bean, in terms of Nootropics this is used to help decrease stress and help by having a calming effect, along with aiding in serotonin and dopamine levels.

Alpha GPC - this helps increase acetylcholine levels which is also known as the learning neurotransmitter, aka helps the brain work and focus better.

Bioperine - this is used to help increase in absorption.

This is a capsule form product, so flavour is irrelevant, but I will note that the capsules are a very reasonable size. Dosing is two capsules at any time of your choosing really. My dosing was 2 capsules which I used either as an afternoon pick me up at work to help me focus, but I did also experiment taking this before my evening Boxing or Muay Thai workouts, I'll touch on the effectiveness of each of these different dosing times in the effectiveness section.

Overall did this help me focus and dial in? Yes, it certainly did. Now lets look further into that. So as stated before I took this either at work as an afternoon pick me up (due to the stimulants), it was fantastic in this role. I found myself noticeably having a mood increase and generally feeling pretty good, with the stimulants as well there was a very notable energy increase and I would find myself no longer nodding off as I went from job to job. Paperwork did seem to come easier as well, I was less distracted when filing repetitive form after form, something I was pleasantly surprised with.

The other time I took this product was in the evenings before my Boxing or Muay Thai workouts. This was perhaps my favourite time to take this product. Besides the obvious energy boost I found myself overall feeling sharper and noticed that long complicated combinations I could fire off smoothly without even having to think about it. I was very impressed with this aspect of Mental Trigger, as in terms of my fight skills it was literally making it easier for me to pull the trigger. It didn't turn me into Jon Jones by any means, but it was defiantly noticeable to me that I was firing faster mentally and I'm never going to be mad about that.

The value on this is where it loses points for me. Retailing for $49.99 for a 30 serving bottle means you are looking at $1.65ish per serving, not an ideal price point for a non essential supplement (Nootropics in general are those "extra" supplements in my mind), so I wouldn't pull the "trigger" (couldn't resist) on this unless you can find a great deal.

However right now there is a great deal on A1supplements.com, where they are running a Buy one get one free on Mental Trigger at the time of this review (2018/03/13), which is a great deal in my mind, worth a look.

Side Effects

None, due to stimulants don't take too close to bed time.

Conclusion

In conclusion the combination of stimulants and well dosed nootropics makes Mental Trigger a real contender in the nootropic/ energy supplement market. I had increases in mood, brain function and energy levels and I really enjoyed this as a pre workout style product as well. The price point hurts however, so make sure you find a good deal and then I would take the shot.

Other Prices:
    Muscle and Strength   $38.99
    Lucky Vitamin   $49.99
    A1Supplements   $49.99

Overall
    Overall
    6.8
    6.2
    (SR paid for product; Redcon1 did not participate)
      February 14, 2018

• Minimum Focus
    • Some Under Dose Ingredients
    What's up SR! I am playing catch-up with my reviews, thank to family and the crazy flu. I would like to start by thanking Clipper83 for the opportunity to give Mental Trigger a run, Redcon1 did not participate in the Trooper program for this product.

With how technology has been doubling for the past 20 years, sometimes we can get overwhelm. Keeping our mind clear in focus can be a job in its self, especially if you suffer from ADHD. When I saw Mental Trigger come up on the Trooper dashboard, I thought I would give it a run.

As with all Redcon1 products, there labels are fully disclosed. You have a nice dose of caffeine at 250mg, along with Teacrine at 50mg; I would have seen 100 mg, since this helps the body not to develop a fast tolerance to caffeine. In addition, there is 100 mg of Hesperidin, which acts as a vasodilator and used on people who suffer from poor circulation. You get a good dose of Noopept at 20mg, which is a popular nootropic agent. There is also 30mg of Alpha GPC, 35mg of Mucuna Purines, and 5 mg of BioPerine.

Taste - Well, these are capsules, so unless you are into eating bitter nasty stuff, then more power to you.

Mix - There is nothing to mix, pop a pill, and go for it.

Dosing - I used this during the workweek, mostly in the middle of the day when my morning workout has zapped my mind. The serving for Mental Trigger is two capsules.

I was expecting more of the mental clarity that most nootropic supplements provide. I noticed with Mental Trigger was more energy than focus. I have to say, I am one of those who if I am on a conference call, 3 mins into it, I am looking at crazy cat videos or sending an IM to the next eye candy that started in our department; Oh, sorry, I need to reframe from saying things like that; IM our new co-worker. The focus aspect was not as strong, due to the under does amount of the Alpha GPC, which should be at a minimal of 300mg. I only experience the Noopept, which I have used in the pass, and I am aware of how it affects me. Mental Trigger left me a bit hanging on the mental side; however, for energy, yeah, it will get you going like an energy drink. This energy application is not why I decided to try Mental Trigger; I wanted to experience that extra focus.

As for price, the lowest I have seen was $40.00 for 30 servings. A few other companies have a powder version with the same amount of servings, which provides a good amount of nootropic agents per serving. In my opinion, Mental Trigger should be market as a good pick me up with some focus properties, at a lower price.

Side Effects

No negative sides while using Mental Trigger

Conclusion

I have to say, this was the first Redcon1 product that left me kind of hanging in the wind. I was expecting that laser focus I have experienced in the pass on other products. However, what I got was an energy pill with some focus support. As I have said in the pass, everyone will have different effects on supplements; maybe I am one of the few who did not get what I was looking for.