Pro Action Reviews

By: Recor

Overall
Overall
Thanks to Recor for sending it out!
  October 25, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tastes Great
  • Micro Filtered Whey Isolate
  • Mid Range Protein Quantity
Protein powders are a dime a dozen, and the more quality the protein the more costly the product becomes. With a market so saturated with protein powders what is it that makes companies want to put out their own? Is it because they think they have the best ratio of concentrate/isolate etc? Is it because they believe they can make it the tastiest protein ever? Or is it because they can put up a "quality" protein and upcharge it compared to others? We can only speculate, but in recent years protein powders have gone up in price and not because of quality mind you. So we need to utilize our resources and find out how effective or how good the quality of the ingredients are before we dive further in spending our money.

Formula
Micro filtered whey protein isolate is the first ingredient and it is not disclosed the amount (which is common among retailers currently), but it is included without a matrix of sorts meaning that it being the first ingredient shows it is in the highest amount of all the ingredients. WPI micro filtered is the MAC DADDY of they all, it is the most pure protein type if done correctly. In addition it also losing most if not all the lactose components making it friendly for all stomachs, also excluding almost if not all fats/cholesterol. This may not be important to you right now, but if you are someone that is really turned in on a diet these factors may become more important. Next Whey Protein Concentrate is here, and this could be good or bad. Why bad? "Is the cheapest whey protein, Is denatured the beneficial protein structures are destroyed, Contains higher amounts of cholesterol, oxidized to a large degree." So things are getting a bit rockier now, but wait because you may not like what fillers are included on this label: Maltodextrin, MODIFIED Food Starch, Sucralose, Xanthan Gum, Acesulfame Potassium, Lecithin, Sipernat 50 (Silica). For various reasons people may not like some of those filler ingredients, but lets just say this product is not ALL NATURAL and most powders aren't but some products are without these. I at first was interested in why Reaction Nutrition went with Modified Food Starch, but if you look closely enough it was to remove the Gluten. Do your research, check reviews, and find out for yourself about what you are actually consuming or if you are just wasting your money. Below are a couple links that are helpful, but the internet is filled with information about these ingredients and different forms of protein.

Each serving contains 22g of protein in the 28.35g scoop, this breaks down to 77.6% protein per scoop which is in the medium range. I will say that most Blends are not all in the high 70% as Pro Action, but rather in the mid 60%. If this product was in the 80's or 90's I would score it higher, but with the price and content it does suffer a lighter score.

Mixability/Taste/Dosing
Mixes fine with no clumping in my experience, but did have some sediment on the bottom which appears to be brown and I have no clue what (maybe the flavoring?). The mixture was rather thin as protein powders are concerned, of course with water that is. The taste was just as you would expect in a "Strawberry" flavor as I received, with a lingering taste but nothing foul. The dosing was partially done Post Workout as 2 servings, and also for some meals as pancakes etc.

Effectiveness (7.7/10)
"Protein powder is meant to help you get in the Protein Macronutrients you need, but can also aid in recovery due to the Naturally Occurring BCAA's which aided in recovery. I never really felt bloated or "yuck" while taking it, which has happened to me with other protein products before." I feel this product performed just as well as any other blended/non blended whey protein, and aided in my recovery potentially leading to more muscle mass.

Value (8.0/10)
This is where it is a bit surprising with Reaction Nutrition, as with the Hemo Nox I was expecting the price to be expensive but what we get here with Pro Action is a base line price of $30 for 2lbs which is the market average for big box stores. In the 2lbs we have 32 servings, coming to $0.93 a serving which does not compare to the other blended proteins on the market (this costs more). Now for the extra money you are getting some higher quality protein, which hopefully is making it past the stomach. Being this is still a blended protein powder along with the fact it is a higher quality of protein with the inclusion of the Micro Filtered Whey Protein Isolate I consider this "Great value. I don't mind paying this much for what you get"

Overall (7.3/10)
This protein powder is mid-range for me, but it does contain a higher protein quality for some of it even though we do not know the exact amount. I feel this product is appropriately priced to be in the crowded market of blended protein powders, but doesn't really stand out. You can find higher % proteins from other companies for even cheaper, although you won't find Micro Filtered Whey Protein Isolate. This was a good product, but I wouldn't recommend this protein powder over many others and definitely not the first product that would come to mind.
  • Strawberry: 9/10

• mhseaver670
    October 27, 2015

I really liked this. Hate it was not up to par for you.

• kalans
    October 27, 2015

It was good tasting and decent product, but I felt it wasn't really worth the price. That doesn't mean I feel many of those products in the same category are any better or worse, but there are better options for the same price if not cheaper. Glad you liked it seaver, looking forward to seeing your review to hear your thoughts too.