Protein Chips Reviews

By: Quest

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Other Protein
Protein Chips is an Alternative Protein Supplement manufactured by Quest. It provides additional dietary proteins that can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.
7.1

Overall
Overall
4.7
4.5
  April 26, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Fills You Up
  • Does Not Digest Well

I am always looking at various options to get my daily protein intake and to change things up a bit from the usual bars or shakes. Quest Protein Chips offers you that option, but the taste and possibly the ingredients will have you question this choice. This is not my choice of daily protein going forward.

38 years old, and currently recovering from total reconstruction surgery to my left ankle. I saw this on Amazon a few weeks back and thought this would be a great snack to try out to hit my daily protein goals, and to have the ability to eat chips. Knowing that Quest has a decent track record for their protein bars I decided to give this a shot and see what Protein Chips are all about. I chose the Sour Cream N Onion flavor, as this would be my go to choice for normal chips. Lets see how this stacks up.

Each 32g bag of Sour Cream and Onion chips nets you 130 Calories, 4g Total Fat, 5mg Cholesterol, 280mg Sodium, 5g Total Carbs (2g Dietary Fiber, 1g Sugars), and 20g Protein. The protein is a blend of Milk protein Isolate and Whey Protein Isolate. There is also some flavoring put in as well. I compared this to Lays Baked Potato Chips Sour Cream n Onion and found that the calories and total fat are the same, sodium is less (190mg) in lays, while you net less carbs and more protein with Quest. Really the biggest difference here is the carbs.

I have recently found out I have to lower my daily sodium intake so this having such high sodium in each bag (more than Lays) really makes me unhappy. Yes, you get a lot less Carbs and more protein, but this profile really comes down to your daily goals. For me, it just was not enough since I can just get a protein bar or shake for a lot less sodium.

Taste: I got the Sour Cream n Onion flavor. This did not taste that great at all. The chips do remind of me of baked potato chips with some sour cream n onion flavoring on it, but once you take a few bites it starts to taste like cardboard. Getting through a whole bag was effort and willpower, and this coming from the guy that does not keep chips in the house because I love them so much. Taste was lacking.

Mixability/Dosing: Nothing to mix here as they are chips and dosing comes down to whenever you want a bag of chips high in protein and low in carbs.

I judge effectiveness on anything protein based off whether it filled me up and how it digested. Since I was recovering from surgery I took this as a snack either mid morning or late afternoon. One bag does fill you up a bit, and would keep me full for about an hour, which is not bad as that is what I usually expect from a shake or a bar. Digestion wise though, this always tended to cause me a slightly upset stomach. It reminded me of the old Olestra chips in the 90s that would make you run to the bathroom immediately, but not that intense. Either way my stomach would feel a little odd after eating a bag, not enough to have to make you run to the bathroom but enough to make you slightly uncomfortable.

Overall, yes this will fill you up but you may have some digestion problems.

I picked this up from Amazon for $16.99 for 8 bags. That comes out to $2.12 a bag. This is about on par with protein bars, maybe a little higher. Since I judge my value based off price and effectiveness, I am giving this a below average value since I did not enjoy eating these at all. You can get a cheaper deal from All Star Health, but since I am an Amazon Prime member I did not pay any shipping fees.

Side Effects

Upset stomach and possibly some GI issues.

Conclusion

I wanted to try something different and was hoping these chips would ease my wantingness for chips. In the end, I had to force myself to eat the 8 bags of these and did not enjoy it one bit. For me, the sodium content is just too high and with some stomach issues, it just is not worth it, so I cannot recommend this to anyone. Back to the drawing board in the chips department Quest!
  • Sour Cream & Onion: 2/10

December 5, 2014

Everyone is familiar with Quest bars by this point. They are without a doubt the most popular protein bar ever produced. They have since come up with an innovative new way to get some healthy protein. I picked up a few bags of the Protein Chips to try them out. I just used them to hit my protein intake, the same way I would a shake. Right now I'm bulking and not really worried about macros or eating super clean.

This is for the Sea Salt flavor. Other flavors will vary slightly I'm sure.

Nutrition Facts:
Cholesterol 10mg
Sodium 190mg
Potassium 65mg

Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Milk Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Isolate), Dried Potatoes, Corn Starch, High Oleic Sunflower Oil. Contains less than 2% of the following: Sea Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavors.

What they have created here is really a masterpiece considering the nature of the product. The macros are exceptional, as you would expect from Quest. There are no fillers or junk, no artificial ingredients or preservatives, just the good stuff. High quality and protein and low carbs are the name of the game here.

Taste/Texture

So on to what truly matters with a product like this. How do they taste, right? In general they all had a weird slightly sour after taste, which I assume is probably the protein blend. I tried 3 of the flavors and I'll give some feedback on each of them.

Sea Salt: 6
These tasted like a watered down Baked Lays. They were vaguely potato-ey. Not horrible, but not great.

Cheddar and Sour Cream: 5
I was excited for this flavor but they let me down. They were my least favorite. The cheese flavor really seemed to clash with that weird protein after taste, mixing into a really unpleasant aftertaste.

BBQ: 8
These were my favorite by far. They had a great spice blend with a little heat, and really tasted like BBQ chips. These were the one flavor that left me wanting more chips in the bag.

I know they also have Salt and Vinegar and Sour Cream and Onion flavors that I have yet to try.

The texture of these is not bad. They are nice and thin and crunchy. One thing I will say is that they have a very dry mouth feel. It's like eating a saltine cracker. You need to have a beverage handy to get them down. I assume this is due to the fact that they lack the fat content of normal chips.

It provided high quality protein. Not much more to say. There were no noticeable effects, but I wouldn't expect any protein product to make that much of a difference either way.

Obviously, like any pre-packaged, ready to go protein source, these are pricey. Quest has them on their website for $2.39/bag. I picked up mine from the "store that shall not be named" for $2.84 and buy 3 get 1 free. They seem to always have that sale on Quest products lately. That comes out to $2.13/bag. Compared to other ready to use protein sources like shakes and bars, this is right in the neighborhood. Compared to most protein powders, you are paying double (for isolates) or even triple (for concentrates) for the amount of protein.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall, I was pretty impressed with these chips. Quest has really done something different and outside the box here. I give them full mark for ingenuity. In the supplement world it is a rare treat to see a truly new concept realized. While they do seem like a bit of a "novelty item" at first, they actually satisfied me quite well, especially the BBQ flavor.
However, I can't see myself eating these regularly for a few reasons. One, I like to get most of my protein naturally from food. Two, they are expensive. Three, they are more work to eat than just having a shake. Four, when in a caloric surplus I'm not super worried about having a really clean protein source.
I could definitely see using these more frequently if I were on a cut and looking for a different way to get protein. Obviously food choices are more restrictive on a cut so just being able to eat something different than a shake, that still has great macros, would be really nice. I could totally see using them on a Sunday afternoon watching football when everyone else is eating chips and junk. Just bring like 3 bags and you can eat chips without messing up your cut.