TROOP CP

Protein Bars Reviews

By: Quest

Overall Score:   How is this Calculated?

Ranks #1 of 16 (better than 100%) in
Protein > Protein Bars

Protein Bars is a Protein Bar manufactured by Quest. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.
COMPARE SIMILAR

Italy48
  November 8, 2016

----Introduction----
I was sick of picking up a protein bar that boasted 20+grams of protein and then you read the ingredient label and it is loaded with trash and sugar. When I picked up my first Quest bar and read the ingredients and nutrition facts, I was intrigued.

----Ingredient Profile----
Based on Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor (nutrition facts vary based on flavor)
Calories-170
Fat-7g
Carbs-23g but only 1g of sugar
Protein-20g
Protein comes from 2 sources which are both isolates which gets a huge thumbs up. Milk Protein Isolate which is a slow digesting protein and Whey Protein Isolate which is your faster digesting protein.
Soluble Corn Fiber is an ingredient I was not familiar with so I did a little research and found it increases calcium absortion and has prebiotic effects.
Erythritol-sugar alcohol
Stevia-plant based swetener
Peanuts
Cocoa

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Tasted more like chocolate than peanut butter which is fine. I have tried about 10 different flavors and have not had a bad one yet. Some flavors can be a bit chewy. The taste was very good. No mixability obviously and dosing was one bar.

----Effectiveness----
I cant comment on effectiveness on workouts or body changes but what I will do is say that Quest bars are great when you need a snack mid-day, want some added protein or if you get held up and cant eat one of your main meals. This will give you a good dose of clean protein and carbs without sugar and all of the other junk that is found in almost all other protein bars. These bars are pretty filling and one bar will keep you satisfied for a few hours. I will use them mostly as a snack before or after the gym.

----Value----
Lowest prices I have found are on both TFSupplements.com and Allstarhealth.com where you can get a box of 12 for $21.99 which comes out to $1.83 per bar. If you buy them individually in the store expect to pay around $2.49 per bar.

----Conclusion----
Whether you are looking for a healthy snack, to add protein to your daily intake or just want to taste something good and healthy then look no further. This will give you 20g of good protein. This bar tastes great and is reasonably priced if you buy them by the box. Buying them individualy will make the price add up so give a few flavors a try, find one that you like and then order a box of them.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Taste And Texture
  • Nutrition Profile
  • Unbelievable Serving Of Fiber.
  • Very Good Tasting
  • Very Filling
  • Helps Keep Macros On Track
  • Chocolate Peanut Butter: 7/10
Stefajoh
  June 27, 2016

----Introduction----

For my 6th review I figured I'd do it on something I eat about 3 times a week. Quest bar are probably one of my favorite things to eat. If I'm running late in the morning, want some extra protein throughout my day or just something to have after a workout rather than a shake, quest bars are my GO TO.

----Ingredient Profile----
Depending on what flavor you get, the ingredient totals may vary. One bar is full of 20 grams of whey protein isolate, which is great for any reason I listed above but also because they contain very low lactose. Along with that, there's only 5 grams of fat which in comparison to some other bars is the lowest I've seen. As for calories, these bars only contain about 150 calories which is low as well. One great thing about these bars is how full I feel after eating one and that's because it's packed with 18 grams of fiber. With only about 2 grams of sugar, these bars will still satisfy your sweet tooth. They are also gluten free.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

I have tried all of the quest bar flavors except for Pumpkin Pie and Peanut Butter and Jelly and I think they all taste great. I of course have my favorites like cookies and cream along with S'Mores but I would give the TASTE a 10. They aren't overly sweet nor do they have that "protein taste" to them which is why I like them too. What I like the most is that they contain chunky of whatever ingredients make up the flavor of them. For example, the S'mores flavor has chunks of chocolate and chunks of graham cracker in them. Also, the apple pie flavor contains pieces of apple in them. Depending on your personal preference I would definitely recommend trying one.

As I can't comment on the mixability, I will talk about what they look like. As they are bars, there is no mixing needed. None of them are covered in chocolate or anything like that either. The wrapper also comes off like a piece of skin and you can see the impress of it in the bar itself when you peel it off. As for the bar itself it won't melt and you can break it, bite it and even cut it if you're so inclines as the texture of them is different than other bars but different in a good way.

As for dosing, I wouldn't recommend eating more than one of these during the day as for how much fiber they contain. But for the protein they have in the them, Quest bars are one bar I enjoy on a regular basis.

----Effectiveness----

If you're looking for some extra protein in your life, quest bars are a nice option. As I mentioned above they are a good snack, nice to have after a workout and even something to have in the morning if you're running late. If you don't feel full after eating one, you have a crazy appetite. I can also say, they helped with muscle growth as there was a time where I only ate these after a workout and I didn't notice any difference or lose between eating these or having a shake.

----Value----
As for value I wish they were a little cheaper but I can't complain. One bar is about $2 but I'll take it, you can also purchase a full box for around $24 but they don't make buying them in bulk any cheaper which is a little disappointing.

----Side Effects----
While I sometimes run late in the morning (as does everyone at some point) I do notice these giving me a boost of energy when I've decided to eat them one the way to work. Mix one these with a cup of coffee you'll feel like you just had Sunday brunch. As for the fiber, that might affect you in numerous ways that I don't need to go into detail about.

----Conclusion----

Writing these reviews always wants me to go buy the product I'm reviewing again and it's happening again as I sit here. After submitting this I think I'll have to go indulge in one and call it a night. Overall, Quest makes one of the best protein bars I've tried and will continue to eat regularly. If the price drops that would be wonderful, if not it won't kill me. Great flavors, great ingredients, and great results.
  • S'mores: 10/10
  • Vanilla Almond: 10/10
WarMachine
  August 27, 2015

----Introduction----

Protein bars can be helpful in keeping your macros on track and aiding in giving you a quick hit of protein and some other nutrients when you hit those occasional hunger pang walls. Unfortunately, man bars on today's market are loaded with excessive sugars, useless gelatin fillers, and bad carbs that aren't the best things for the avid fitness buff. Thankfully, Quest Protein bars come to the rescue by providing users with a tasty, healthier, more fitness friendly option among protein snacks.

I myself am not an overly frequent consumer of protein bars primarily because I prefer to get the vast majority of my protein needs from more wholesome food sources. Still, having these bars on hand, as well as other protein supplements, is well worth the investment when trying to keep your protein requirements in check. The fact that quest bars come in so many delectable flavors only makes it that more joyous and Quest has been my choice of protein bars for a long time now.

----Ingredient Profile----

One thing to note is that the nutritional information among the bars vary slightly among the different flavors. Therefore, depending on your calorie, fat, protein, and carb needs, you may want to choose your flavors accordingly. I've tried a large majority of the flavors, though not all of them. Refer to the flavor rating system to see my ratings for the flavors I've tried.

The caloric quantity of each bar averages to about 170-200 calories. Again, each flavor has different quantities. I think this is an acceptable calorie amount range considering most of these calories are from protein and carb sources as opposed to refined sugars and unnecessary fluff additives I've seen in other bars.

A quest bar also contains 20-21 grams of protein, which are derived from milk and whey isolate sources. These are most definitely preferred over cheap soy proteins. Also contained in a bar, there is an average of 6-7g of fat, 20-22 carbs, and 17g of fiber. Of the carbs, 3-5 are derived as net carbs coming from the sugar alcohols and fiber source. In all, these nutritional statistics do fine by me, provided most of my other macros and micros come from the rest of my diet.

Lastly, I will note that the bars don't have any unnecessary artificial additives and they are sweetened with stevia.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----

Again, refer to my flavor rating system grades I submitted for scores on the flavors that I've used. As for a direct opinion, I can honestly say that these are one of, if not the best tasting brand of protein bars I've had. They are not too sweet or bland, and some have a pleasant nutty complimentary taste. I will say that the texture is a bit tough. Line6reed described it best, it's like laffy taffy, but personally I didn't find it overly unpleasant. Just be sure you've got some milk for something to wash it down with. Me personally, I usually ate these bars with some milk because I found it to be most satisfying and it made the texture a little softer. A couple times I would heat these in the microwave for about 10 seconds to give the texture some extra softening when I could. This made the bar softer but also dangerously hot, so use caution if you plan on trying this.\

On average, I would consume about 2 or 3 of these in the course of the week, maybe more if need be. I would try too limit my consumption to only one a day should I needed one. There were only a few occasions I had to consume more than one, but that was usually due to times where I knew it would be a while before I could eat my next meal. I preferred to consume them around mid morning, or perhaps in the early morning to compliment breakfast if it were my pre-workout meal.

----Effectiveness----

When talking about effectiveness, I am going to gauge my score based on how it compares to other bars I've tried and how it meets my expectations based on what I desire from it. I give quest nutrition bars a solid 9 out of 10. Unlike other bars I've used like met-rx and gnc, these bars provide high quality proteins and carbs derived from more favorable sources including milk and whey protein isolates and gut friendly fiber. These bars provided me with a delicious way to help give me a quick protein fix without having to derail my nutritional intake quality by giving me unfavorable shots of refined sugars, gelatin, and soy. They also helped to keep those annoying hunger pangs at bay on those cutting and calorie restriction phases I would have on occasion when trying to shed body fat. Lastly, the lower active carb content is great for anyone on a carb restriction diet. In summary, quest bars did the trick and provided you've got a good diet, they'll help you keep your protein and carb requirements in check.

----Value----

Despite their efficacy, a 12 count box will set you back somewhere between 25-30 dollars. I think the value ultimately boils down to how often you intend on using the bars. As I stated earlier, I try to limit my consumption of the bars to about 2 to 3 bars in a week to help stretch the supply out through the month. If you intend on using these bars sparingly, which is more favorable, then I would think that this is a fair value considering the quality of the bars themselves. Just don't go crazy and ensure your getting more of your needs from your diet.

----Side Effects----

Salivation when you unwrap a mint chocolate chunk bar ;)

----Conclusion----

in conclusion, with all the protein bars on today's market, Quest bars had won the ballet as my personal favorite. The high quality protein and carb sources with fiber can compliment any typical fitness enthusiast's diet plan without having to worry about all the unwanted sugar and soy most other bars have. Whether you use them as an occasional snack or meal replacement, I recommend implementing quest bars as a choice brand among options as I believe they are tastier, healthier, and more satisfying.

WARMACHINE OUT!!!
  • Banana Nut Muffin: 9/10
bigmc
  February 28, 2015

----Introduction----
I'm going to start off by saying that this review might not be popular, it probably won't be received well by some, and could possible make some people redo their diets. With all that being said I'm going to lay out the facts and let you decide what you think of this bar.

----Ingredient Profile----5/10
Protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate), isomalto-oligosaccharides, almonds, water, natural flavors, sea salt, lo han guo, sucralose.

Easy enough to break down; All isolate grade protein, great start, almonds, water, natural favors and sea salt are again still looking amazing. Lo han qua is a herb popular in China so still all good.

Well lets see what did we leave out? Oh isomalto-oligosaccharides(or IMOs for short). What are these things you might be asking yourself; I'll tell you. They are a MAN MADE FAKE fiber which funny enough Quest is in the middle of a lawsuit because of, but that's a whole another story. Basically the problem with IMOs are that they as mostly unable to be broken down by the body. So this means technically you are getting ZERO actual fiber from a Quest bar. Also on the flip side these IMOs can cause bloating and inflammation to happen in the body which in turn can lead to a decrease in fat burning and muscle building.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----10/10
Taste is obviously the main selling point of these bars. They are simply one of the top tasting bars on the market

----Effectiveness----NA/10
In terms of filling you up and being a good snack I suppose it does do its job, however because of the above listed side effects I'll let you guys decide how effect it really is

----Value----8/10
$25 for a box of 12 bars is pretty much standard for a protein bar

----Side Effects----
Personally I did notice a lot of bloating after eating these bars and I know a respectable amount of others who would say the same thing

----Conclusion----
Ok all in all Quest bars are almost the perfect protein bar but because of the IMOs I really can't say they are anything more than average at best. I will state that some people can handle IMOs better than others so before some of you come running to defend Quest I will say that. However for myself being bloated just to enjoy a protein bar just is not worth it.
  • IMOs
  • Bloating
Wolfhawk46
  February 20, 2015

----Introduction----
Blah Blah Blah, writing this every time is going to get old isn't it? Ok, MMA since high-school, competitor and instructor. Former Certified Personal Trainer though NASM and ACE. Owned my own online supplement store (past tense). Currently military and I eat paleo due to a gluten allergy. I have tried most of the flavors of Quest bars and with a few exceptions, they all taste good. (Avoid PB cup and cinnamon swirl)

----Ingredient Profile----
Ok, so this is the coolest thing about these bars, not only are they high in some quality protein isolate, they also have 17g of fiber! That's crazy. On top of that, they are low sugar (1g) and still manage to be one of the best tasting protein bars around. Oh yeah, and gluten free, no poo..even the cookies and cream ones! How do they do it!? No, seriously...I don't know.

----Taste/Mixability/Dosing----
Taste is good. Get the cookie dough ones, heat them up (seriously, sit on them if you have to, far btter warm), ENJOY. I mean how many other protein bars taste good AND have 1g of sugar? That being said, they are a little gritty, likely from the almonds and the fiber in the bars. Also, the brownie ones are good as are the cookies and cream. I'd recommend drinking some water after eating one.

----Effectiveness----
It's a protein bar. What do you want? Steroid gain? Too bad. You get a good meal replacement with around 130 net calories that fill me up between meals and doesn't make me fat. WIN!

----Value----
On the pricey side. On the other hand, whey protein ISOLATE. It's pricey stuff, so realistically these are a good deal at around $2.50 a piece. Tough to beat the quality on these.

----Side Effects----
Wanting to eat MOAR. Yeah, I spelled that wrong on purpose, bite me...or bite a Quest bar. Seriously...why are you still reading this? Go get some!

----Conclusion----

Best tasting low sugar protein bar on the market. Despite being a little pricey, they are worth it. Get some. I have not yet tried the cheesecake protein bars (I hear good things), so I can't compare them to Quest bars yet. I'll put up a review when (if) my order gets in.
  • Some Flavours Need To Be Warmed Up
Mooselini
  April 8, 2014

These are by far my favorite protein bars. Taste, profile, and variety it all adds up to one hell of a great product. Lately they have come under fire for supposedly mislabeling certain ingredients. However, I have never had a bad experience with quest and for that reason I will continue to buy them. Now lets dive into the review.

Taste-9

I had the double chocolate chunk flavor to review and it was very good. To me it tasted like a softer version of a famous amos cookie. Now I have tried pretty much every flavor of quest and the flavor that I continue to buy regardless of price(good job quest) is cookie dough. For the cookie dough flavor it does not taste like a protein bar, this is a hard thing to do, as some of the proteins and ingredients tend to overpower other flavors. So for taste quest bars are by far superior to others.

Effectiveness/Ingredients-9

To start I can tell you that there is a good amount of fiber in these just by the fact of how well I can digest these and other foods throughout the day. With other protein bars, such as GNC protein bars which are filled with tons of sugar alcohols and palm oil and fillers, which upset my stomach. Quest is filled with all good ingredients; they only use whey and milk protein isolate and also use stevia as a sweetener. Also they are low carb just from the amount of fiber they include. What more can you ask for in a bar?

Price-7

This is where most supplements take a hit, price. Quest bars normally run in the mid $20- the mid $30 which can be expensive, but when you take into account all the good ingredients they put in then the price is justified. Personally I buy these for $24 a box on amazon unless I can find a better deal. Pricey yes but quality is what keeps me coming back.

Overall-9

These are simply the best bars on the market. Now other companies are trying to get as close to the ingredients of quest as they can, and I think quest has started a great trend for all protein bars. Why not include only high quality ingredients and not crap fillers? Quest has a winner on their hands and if you ever get the chance to try these you wont be let down.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Taste And Texture
  • Nutrition Profile
  • Unbelievable Serving Of Fiber.
  • Very Good Tasting
  • A Tad Expensive
jeerree
  February 9, 2014

Everyone loves Quest Bars. They are probably one of the most popular protein bars on the market right now, and for good reason. Around 20g protein, 20g fiber, and 200-something calories, gluten-free, no sugar, and just about any other bases covered.

Effectiveness 9/10: So with all that in its macros, effectiveness is almost perfect. The only way it could improve is either a bump up to more protein or adding in vitamins and minerals like a few other bars out there.

Value 7/10: The going rate seems to be around 25 bucks for 12 bars. That's pretty decent and competitive with other high protein bars. The best deals I have seen (outside of trade shows mentioned below), is when GNC runs their 25% or 30% off items online. At 30% off, you can actually score these for under 20 bucks a box. 2.99 shipping there doesn't add too much to the overall cost, either.

Taste 6/10: Here is what brings my overall rating down to a 7. I have tried the cookie dough, chocolate brownie, and the newest flavor, cookies and cream. Cookie dough and cookies and cream I would rate around an 8 or 9/10 as far as protein bars are concerned. The cookies and cream is a lot closer to the cookie dough than I would have expected. Chocolate brownie is like a 4/10. It is exactly like the chocolate powerbars everyone used to have and nobody liked. If you think chocolate brownie is an amazing flavor, you should probably get your tastebuds checked, lol.

My biggest knock on all of the quest bars is the sodium content. I can actually taste the salt in the bars, especially in the cookies and cream. You get used to it after a while, but 300mg sodium in what is otherwise a healthy bar needs to be rethought. I just can't see why there would be so much salt for flavors that are supposed to taste sweet.

Summary: Great profile, could use added vitamins, I hate paying full price for them, dislike the salt content.

Good luck on finding your favorite flavor!
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Nutrition Profile
  • High Sodium
krystian
  January 24, 2014

Hi SR!

One of the first things I learnt about on the site was MACROS - shout out to Sdunlimited for asking me about that because he set me on the right path.

So, I have to admit when I did my first analysis of my daily intake of nutrients my Macro Ratio looked like this: 65c, 20p, 15f.

Clearly this was not good and partly explained why I was literally showing no results from all of the work I was putting in at the gym; sure I was loosing weight, and felt stronger, and healthier but, I didn't look much different than before.

I have to say, maintaining a good or proper balance of nutrients still gives me trouble because this stuff isn't easy to do on a budget. So, I turned to protein bars for help.

I tried two boxes (12 pack) of Quest Protein Bars:

Double Chocolate Chunk
Coconut Cashew

Their Profiles are slightly different.

Double Chocolate Chunk:

24g c (17g fiber)
20g p
6g f

Taste/Texture.

The Double Chocolate Chunk - 6 out of 10 on taste; not a fan of the texture but, it wasn't bad at all.

The Coconut Cashew - 0 out of 10 on taste; did not like the texture - it was sort of like grainy, dried out peanut butter that didn't taste good.

Both bars took a lot of chewing and my jaw hurt at the end. I took to drinking lots of water while eating these.

There are lots of other flavors so I'm sure there are ones I may enjoy more than these.

SIDE NOTE: under side effects I have to say my teeth were always a touch sensitive after eating these. I'm not sure why.

Effectiveness.

Both bars are filling, have a great balance of nutrients and really helped me hit my macros. I used 1 bar in between lunch and my evening meal, and at night, "if" I felt hungry after I had my post-workout meal. I think they're good at helping you stay full and I never felt like I wanted to eat for at 2-3 hours after eating one. One unexpected component of that is well, as I wasn't so thrilled with the taste, they pretty much killed my cravings but, on the flip side, I didn't look forward to eating them either.

Value.

The bars cost around $25 for a box of 12, or a little over $2 for one. I think that's a reasonable price; certainly it's not cheap but, it's protein and why would quality protein be cheap?

Overall.

These are quality protein bars which are low calorie and filling, which can really help you with your macros, nutrient intake and overall diet. It would be great if they were cheaper but, I would recommend them - not the coconut cashew!!!

I've been looking for something of similar quality that is cheaper and which hopefully tastes better.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Nutrition Profile
  • Unbelievable Serving Of Fiber.
  • Very Filling
  • A Tad Expensive
  • Texture
  • Not The Best Taste
Clipper83
  December 19, 2013

*Alright, to start this off, I know about the whole controversy going on right now with Quest Bars, but as I see it, you're innocent until proven guilty. So this review will be based off of my experience and the assumption that Quest Bars are indeed legit.*

A big shout out to Quest for sending me a box of Quest Bars. I've used these before, and have not found a bar that comes close. This has been reviewed several times already, so I'll keep this short.

Profile:

Macros(CCCookie Dough)- 8f, 21c(17f), 21p.

The first thing people notice about Quest bars when they look at the profile is the amount of fiber. At 17f per bar, I may as well just eat a branch lol. There is very little to complain about here.

Taste/Texture:(9.5/10)
This is for the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor.

My god, out of all the Quest bar flavors I have tried, the cookie dough is by far my favorite. I've gone out of my way to buy 2 more boxes of these and am seriously not tired of them at all. I tastes almost exactly like cookie dough, without all the sugar, and is a bit tougher.

Due to all the fiber, the texture is a bit much. It requires a bit more chewing than your average protein bar. I personally like it, but some have complained about it. The plus side to that is you have the taste in your mouth much longer than a normal protein bar.

I have tried many other flavors, but I'm reviewing the flavor they sent me... coconut cashew and the white-chocolate raspberry are great as well.

Effectiveness:(9.5/10)

Well when you used these as they are supposed to be used, they are perfect. As a quick MRP, they are second-to-none. One bar will keep you full for hours. These bars are also a great way to get in fiber if you have trouble getting that in through your regular diet. They will def. help keep you more regular too.

The 21 grams of protein are... well, just 21 grams of protein.

The only drawback to these bars are that they are better suited for a cut, as they will suppress your appetite. If you are trying to add size through quality calories, you will have a hard time eating more if you eat one of these.

Value:(8/10)

You can get these around $2-$2.50 per bar. Seems very fair to me since there are very little undesirable ingredients in them. Not the cheapest, but still very much worth it.

Overall:(9/10)

Quest bars are the closest thing to perfect when it comes to protein bars. They lack high sugar and artificial crap that most of us look to avoid when we eat protein bars, and they fill you up to the point where you feel like you ate a bag of twigs. Try these, and you'll never use another bar again.
 Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Taste And Texture
  • Unbelievable Serving Of Fiber.
  • Very Filling
    line6reed
      December 14, 2013

Quest was generous enough to provide myself and the rest of the ER team the opportunity to try out their protein bars.

Texture:D
    The texture of these bars is similar to a laffy taffy. I have tried may protein bars and initially when I first unwrapped it I was kind of nervous. Most protein bars I have tried in the past has more of a texture of a granola bar or brownie. Chewing these bars also gives your jaw muscles a good workout.

Taste:A
    The flavor I received was cinnamon roll. This flavor tasted very amazing reminded me of a fresh cinnamon bun. The flavor was the perfect combination sweet and cinnamon. I found that the longer I chewed the bar the more the more pronounced the flavor became. Other users stated that they put the bars into the microwave I never tried that but I'm sure heating these bad boys up would enhance the flavor.

Effectiveness:8/10
    Quest bars are perfect snacks, they are healthy, and provide you with 20grams of protein and 17grams of fiber. I found these bars very useful to curb my appetite in-between meals. It blew my mind that something so tasty and filling could only be 170 calories. I did not notice an increase in recovery or an increase in muscle, but I don't think that is what these bars are designed to do.

Value:7/10
    This is America and you get what you pay for. The price on these are a little high at $25 per box of 12 this comes out to a little over $2 per bar. with the quality ingredients and amazing taste I cannot argue with the price. I would love to see the boxes come with more bars just so I wouldn't have to buy three plus boxes to have a month supply.

Overall:7/10
    I'm very impressed with quest bars I enjoy the taste and quality ingredients. I definitely will continue to purchase these to use when I'm on the go and need a quality food source. Quest has set the standard for the way a meal replacement bar should be.
     Pros:
     Cons:
    • Nutrition Profile
    • Unbelievable Serving Of Fiber.
    • Very Good Tasting
    • Very Filling
    • A Tad Expensive
    • Texture

Copyright © 2016 SupplementReviews.com. All rights reserved. All trademarks are property of their respective owners.