Cravings Reviews

By: Quest

Cravings is a Protein Bar manufactured by Quest. It is a quick, conveinient source of protein and commonly used as a meal replacement. The additional protein can help increase muscle mass as well as promote fat loss.

Overall
Overall
  March 15, 2018

Hello again people. Today I have a review of Quest's attempt at replicating a child hood favorite. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Did it work? Not really, but it does add a little bit of variety to our life. I have been on a cut for over a year. But while using this box I really was only doing cardio (Insanity with Shaun T). I wanted to give this a try instead of having my almost daily Quest Bar. I am 45 years old and during this run worked out basically 6 days a week. I didn't mention these in my log, but if you want to see what I was doing feel free to read.

Let's take a quick look at what Quest tried to pack into this "treat".

Total Fat: 17g
Saturated: 7g
Carbohydrate: 10g
Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 1g
Erythritol: 3g
Protein: 20g

This comes in at 240 calories per serving, with each serving being 2 cups. Which on one side isn't too bad. 50g product of which 20 is protein. However for me, I am comparing to Quest Bars which are a staple in my life. So let us give a short break down.

First we have the fat, Cravings at 17g's while the Bars tend to have less (5g's in the new birthday cake flavor I just bought). Now will this kill you? no, but do I need it? Probably not, I assume its higher as they use peanut butter and cocoa butter in the making of this bad boy.

In the carbohydrate department this is lower 10g compared to 25g's. However the breakdown is where I have the issue. In the PB Cup we get 3g's of fiber, quest bars tend to have around 15g's (Birthday Cake has 14g). So the fiber for me helps hold me over to my next meal. These with only 3 didn't really do much for that aspect of my day. It does contain les Erythritol (sugar alcohol) than the bars, so for those of you who are avoiding them this could be an option.

Protein content is basically the same right around 20g's. The interesting part is the cravings is a blend of (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate) where as the bars use (milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate). Once again depending on your preference one should have a greater quantity of one than the other.

All in all I wasn't disappointed in what went into this bar, more so how it effected me as I will discuss below.

----Taste/Mix-ability/Dosing----

Taste: Overly sweet with a bitter aftertaste. I think if they didn't market it as a "PB Cup" they would be better. I bought these and actually tried one in the parking lot before I remembered that I tried them before. They remind me of PB Balls, drier than a Reese's. So my first impression was not favorable. When I changed my mindset they weren't bad, just not good enough.

No mixing required, and as for dosing.... Come on people it is a "treat" have them when you want to. I tended to carry them around with me and had them throughout the day as I wanted one. Also used as a late night snack and a treat when other people where eating ice cream.

I found that the protein worked as well as I could tell. However, I use quest bars to keep me full. These did nothing, I assume that it is because they don't have a lot of fiber. Also due to the taste being a little off, I kind of just "used" up the box if you know what I mean. I think most of us realize that these types of products should supplement our whole food intake. If you do that your fine.

I purchased these for $23.99 at my local Hyvee grocery store. Which isn't a bad price, just not a great value for me as they didn't do what I wanted them to do. They are basically the same price as the Quest bars which work better for me. I also looked online and found the following price as of today (3/15/2018). Alas it also looks as they could be discontinued as their own website doesn't have them listed.

$26.71 for a box of 12.

Side Effects

I had no negative side effects, other than a bitter aftertaste.

Conclusion

For those of you who like artificially sweet tasting things these would work for you. I on the other hand really prefer their Protein bars (at least most of the flavors). I also like to have a more filling treat, if you know what I mean. I don't think these are terrible, I just don't think that I would purchase them again. That being said, if the sale was good enough I still might pull the trigger. Until then I will stick to the bars, (Birthday cake is tasty).
  • Peanut Butter Cups: 6/10

• dmf8625
    March 15, 2018

Nice review! I have always seen these in stores but never had the guts to buy them.

• Wis3guy
    March 15, 2018

Yeah, honestly I think they over reached on this one.

• jamesjsix
    March 15, 2018

At this point I'm filling my PB Cup cravings with RCSS's King Whey. They aren't the same thing taste wise, but they take the edge off.

• dmf8625
    March 15, 2018

I think they initially marketed these towards the Keto crowd because of the low net carbs but still didn't gain any traction.