(Better than 5% in Protein > Whey Protein)

Q//WHEY is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Quantified Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

5.5
Thanks to Quantified Nutrition for sending it out!
  October 30, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Digests Well
  • Good Recovery
  • Too Sweet

I'm a competing powerlifter and I'm getting ready for my third meet in about two weeks. I've been maintaining my weight for the last six weeks or so, and I aim to get at least .8g/lb bodyweight in protein every day, which usually means 1 shake a day, but sometimes it's two.

Here we have an informed choice whey isolate product from Quantified Nutrition. Informed Choice is a certification program and the products that are IC-certified, have been analyzed for common substances that are banned by WADA and other organizations.

It's not 100%, but if you are a drug-tested athlete, like I am, then it's prudent to use Informed Choice/Informed Sport products when feasible to limit the risks of failing a test due to contamination or because the product is adulterated.In one serving, we have 120 calories, 25g protein, 1g fat, and 3g carbs (1 fiber, 1 sugar). We also have 153mcg Calcium, 312mcg Potassium, and 70mg sodium.

There are natural and artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, and emulsifiers in the product as well.

I opted for the chocolate truffle which is advertised as a milk chocolate taste. I must admit I prefer dark chocolate, but I do like truffles of all kind.
I was not a fan of this protein powder taste wise, 6/10. It was way too sweet and the sweeteners in the product overpowered the chocolate flavor. I tried it in milk, and it water, and it was too sweet even with water.

The mixability was good, 8.5/10. There was a little foam at the top as to be expected, but there was no grittiness or clumps. The shakes were kind of thin. I was hoping that they'd be thicker given the xanthan gum and other emulsifiers in the product.

Dosing- One scoop was sufficient for me. 25g is enough to get a good MPS response. 40g might be better, but I usually mix my protein powder with fairlife anyway, so I get 38g per shake.

The scooper was a bit odd. It has a big scooper on 1 side and a small one on the other, so you can control your dose more carefully. An interesting idea, but I always use a food scale, so I don't really need two scooper sizes.

Protein is protein, so it will all be effective if the product meets label claims, and fits in your micros/macros.

Some people prefer isolates because they digest quicker, but I've never noticed any difference between high quality protein sources.

This product was easy to digest, which is good. Nothing extraordinary to report in terms of effectiveness.

This is the real kicker. 1 bag is $52.99 and is 30 servings which brings you to $1.77/serving. This is just too much to be competitive.

Yes, whey isolates cost more, and IC-certified products can cost more, but these factors are not enough to justify the price.

There are a number of other IC-certified whey isolates that are cheaper. I found one for about $1/serving, two for about $1.4/serving.

If there was something unique about this product to warrant a higher price (if I found it very delicious, or it used grass-fed cows, no artificial sweeteners, etc) I would understand, but as it stands, I just don't think this product is competitive with the other options on the market.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I'm sorry to say that I would not buy this product as I just didn't enjoy the taste, and I would recommend other options to those who need an isolate (or an IC certified protein). If they work on the flavor and become more widely available (which will help with the price), I would reconsider.
  • Chocolate Truffle: 6/10

Overall
Thanks to Quantified Nutrition for sending it out!
  October 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Digests Well
  • Mixes Good
  • Good Recovery

First I would like to thank Quantified Nutrition for sending Q//Whey out to review, and the SR TROOPs program for making the connection possible. This is a whey protein isolate product that tasted pretty good and essentially would have a decent rating if the price wasn't so steep for 30 servings. Yes as a product I'd recommend it, but for the price it hurt the ratings.

The ingredient profile is pretty straight forward, which is a good thing when it comes to protein powders not designed for "mass gains". 25g's of protein per serving is pretty nice and a few grams more than other competing brands.

Carbs are at only 3g, which again is another good sign as it allows anybody to fit this into their diet usually, and less than a gram of it is sugar. Fat is at only a gram as well. Other than this there's nothing else to cover with this protein powder.

Taste isn't too bad. I meant to request for the chocolate truffle, but forgot and received the Mexican vanilla flavor. Taste was on the stronger side for me with the artificial flavoring.

Mixing is good with no clumping while used in a shaker or in protein food creations.

Dosing is basically as needed since it's protein. I used every post workout and sometimes an hour pre workout if I didn't have time for protein rich snacks. Also made protein balls and bars to eat throughout the days and at night. Each serving is 3 scoops of 10g's, which is odd to not just be one larger scoop.

Well it's protein and it helped me stay on a good recovery program and I never seemed to lose any muscle, so I'd say it does what is supposed to happen when consuming protein supplements.

Digestion wise I had no issues of diarrhea or being gassy, so again this shows a good protein mixture to consume. The bag talks a lot about the BCAA's found in whey isolate and how they are absorbed better during digestion, but I can't really say it made a whole lot more of a difference. That on top of me using 6-7g 2:1:1 BCAA produts.

Essentially a decent whey protein isolate. Nothing above average or worse to report.

Okay, so it's $52.99 a bag for 30 servings, which i around $1.77 per scoop. I couldn't find it anywhere else but on the website, so I'm going with that price. I understand most brands display an MSRP price, but actually sell it for less, but there's no sign of anything cheaper since it's not widely available.

Whey protein isolate is a step up from concentrate, but I never really see any difference that much except during digestion maybe. Maybe when this has a cheaper price it'll get a better rating; just with that price it's not competitive.

Side Effects

None to report.

Conclusion

In the end this is a decent whey protein isolate that I can't say is anything different from other brands with the exception of being higher priced. Hopefully the price drops in the future, but until then I stand with the rating given and would recommend if cheaper. Thanks for sending this out Quantified Nutrition.
  • Mexican Vanilla: 7/10