6.8

(Better than 3% in Protein > Whey Protein)

Q//WHEY is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Quantified Nutrition. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

5.2
  November 25, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Digests Well
  • Good Recovery
  • Mixes Well
  • Informed Sport
  • Generic Taste
  • Too Sweet

I am always on the lookout for new protein supplements especially whey protein isolate. As I have gotten older, I noticed that I have issues with pure whey protein concentrate or blends that heavily favor whey protein concentrate. So, when Quantified Nutrition put up their Q Whey that came in some unique sounding flavors I really wanted to try it. Here is the review.

Quantified Nutrition Q Whey comes in a bag (more on that later) and has 30 servings per bag. In each serving (three 10g scoops), there are 120 calories, 1g of fat, 3g of carbohydrates and 25g of protein. The sole protein source in this product is whey protein isolate, which is great. I tend to have issues with whey protein concentrate or concentrate heavy blends but with Q Whey I had no issues. The one thing I could not find on the bag was the process of how the whey protein isolate was made. This might not seem that important but in fact it is when looking for a quality product. There are primarily two ways whey protein isolate is made and that is through membrane filtration and ion exchange. Membrane filtration is done at cold temperatures and the important factor here is that it is not denatured. Ion exchanged uses chemicals to alter the pH and this in turn can denature the whey protein. This can reduce some of the biological value. Now, based on what I have read about about Quantified Nutrition and their commitment to quality with informed sport I am hoping they use some type of membrane filtration.

The additional ingredients in Q Whey are cocoa, natural and artificial flavors, sucralose and Ace-K. It also includes a gum blend, which is used as a thickener. In addition, soy lecithin, which is traditionally used for texture and to prevent clumping. I weighed out the scoop and noticed that it scooped 3g heavy (13g). This was after taking a knife and scraping off the top. This could add up since you need to use three scoops for a full serving.

The flavor I requested and received was chocolate truffle as chocolate is usually my go to flavor. When you first mix this it has an odd smell, it is hard to place but it was not very appealing. Thinking about it, I think it smells like something that is overly sweet. The actual taste of it is not that good. It was about a 50/50 ratio of rich chocolate and milk chocolate. However, it was very generic tasting. In terms of mixability, it mixed fine but I always used a blender ball. I did feel like it was a little thicker than most other whey protein isolates, which I prefered. In terms of dosing, I just used it to fill my daily protein macros so it varied.

Now, I want to talk about the packaging, it comes in a bag. I really dislike when supplements come in bags because I never feel like they properly seal. This was the case with Q Whey and Q Fuel. I kept both products in separate plastic bags because the seal on the actual bag would not seal. This was rather inconvenient and my major recommendation would be to loose the bag and put both products in a tub.

I know I have stated this in my previous protein supplement reviews but protein supplements are a challenge to review. This is due to the fact that I personally classify them as a food since that is exactly what they are. They are a fast way to fill your protein macros and to fill in those gaps when you need more protein. So, going off that one of the most effective areas for a protein is the taste and whether I want to drink it. With Q Whey, I felt like the taste was just so generic and the odd sweet like smell really impacted my desire to drink this product. So, looking at it from this perspective some of the overall effectiveness is reduced. I also want to touch on two other areas that they are recovery and muscle building aspects of this product.

One of the major things I noticed about Q Whey was my increased recovery when taking this product. Now, I feel like this has to do with the increase of my protein macros when I began reviewing this product. This performed as well as other whey protein isolates I have had in the past and I noticed a definite recovery with weight training and running. It was more pronounced with running as I have ramped that up since I really enjoy running in the Fall. Since increasing my protein macros with this product I have been able to get to the trail faster than I normally would. This increase in recovery I feel also helped contributed to building muscle. This was definitely the case with my legs as I felt like they became fuller over my time with this product. I again think this was due to the increased in recovery that enabled me to get back onto the trail quicker thus leading to more running workouts (especially hill work). In terms of the gym, I did feel a little fuller but not as much as I saw with my legs and running. Therefore, I feel like this is in effective product for recovery and muscle building.

Quantified Nutrition Q Whey retails for $42.00 so you are looking at $1.40 per serving. I noticed that Quantified Nutrition seems to do sales around holidays with 20% off making it $1.12 per serving. However, I will compare using the regular price as the sales are not always available. Comparing this to other whey protein isolate BSN Syntha 6 Isolate is $1.12 per serving, BPI Sports ISO HD is $1.30 per serving and Nutrabio Whey Protein Isolate is $1.38 per serving. To be honest this is on the high side for a whey protein isolate. Now, there is value in the fact that they have the informed sport and the unique scoop. However, there are better options out there that taste quite a bit better.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

This was a challenging review to write because I was conflicted on the product. In terms of recovery and muscle building this protein was effective but it was negatively impacted by the mediocre generic taste. In addition, the bag was also an issue as I do wish they had it in a tub. As for value, this is on the expensive side and I do feel like there are better options out there. The main draw I see to this is the informed sport as I don't see that too often and maybe the dual sided scoop. I would like to thank Quantified Nutrition for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler
  • Chocolate Truffle: 5/10

5.5
  October 30, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Digests Well
  • Good Recovery
  • Too Sweet

I'm a competing powerlifter and I'm getting ready for my third meet in about two weeks. I've been maintaining my weight for the last six weeks or so, and I aim to get at least .8g/lb bodyweight in protein every day, which usually means 1 shake a day, but sometimes it's two.

Here we have an informed choice whey isolate product from Quantified Nutrition. Informed Choice is a certification program and the products that are IC-certified, have been analyzed for common substances that are banned by WADA and other organizations.

It's not 100%, but if you are a drug-tested athlete, like I am, then it's prudent to use Informed Choice/Informed Sport products when feasible to limit the risks of failing a test due to contamination or because the product is adulterated.In one serving, we have 120 calories, 25g protein, 1g fat, and 3g carbs (1 fiber, 1 sugar). We also have 153mcg Calcium, 312mcg Potassium, and 70mg sodium.

There are natural and artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners, and emulsifiers in the product as well.

I opted for the chocolate truffle which is advertised as a milk chocolate taste. I must admit I prefer dark chocolate, but I do like truffles of all kind.
I was not a fan of this protein powder taste wise, 6/10. It was way too sweet and the sweeteners in the product overpowered the chocolate flavor. I tried it in milk, and it water, and it was too sweet even with water.

The mixability was good, 8.5/10. There was a little foam at the top as to be expected, but there was no grittiness or clumps. The shakes were kind of thin. I was hoping that they'd be thicker given the xanthan gum and other emulsifiers in the product.

Dosing- One scoop was sufficient for me. 25g is enough to get a good MPS response. 40g might be better, but I usually mix my protein powder with fairlife anyway, so I get 38g per shake.

The scooper was a bit odd. It has a big scooper on 1 side and a small one on the other, so you can control your dose more carefully. An interesting idea, but I always use a food scale, so I don't really need two scooper sizes.

Protein is protein, so it will all be effective if the product meets label claims, and fits in your micros/macros.

Some people prefer isolates because they digest quicker, but I've never noticed any difference between high quality protein sources.

This product was easy to digest, which is good. Nothing extraordinary to report in terms of effectiveness.

This is the real kicker. 1 bag is $52.99 and is 30 servings which brings you to $1.77/serving. This is just too much to be competitive.

Yes, whey isolates cost more, and IC-certified products can cost more, but these factors are not enough to justify the price.

There are a number of other IC-certified whey isolates that are cheaper. I found one for about $1/serving, two for about $1.4/serving.

If there was something unique about this product to warrant a higher price (if I found it very delicious, or it used grass-fed cows, no artificial sweeteners, etc) I would understand, but as it stands, I just don't think this product is competitive with the other options on the market.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I'm sorry to say that I would not buy this product as I just didn't enjoy the taste, and I would recommend other options to those who need an isolate (or an IC certified protein). If they work on the flavor and become more widely available (which will help with the price), I would reconsider.
  • Chocolate Truffle: 6/10

October 18, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Digests Well
  • Mixes Good
  • Good Recovery

First I would like to thank Quantified Nutrition for sending Q//Whey out to review, and the SR TROOPs program for making the connection possible. This is a whey protein isolate product that tasted pretty good and essentially would have a decent rating if the price wasn't so steep for 30 servings. Yes as a product I'd recommend it, but for the price it hurt the ratings.

The ingredient profile is pretty straight forward, which is a good thing when it comes to protein powders not designed for "mass gains". 25g's of protein per serving is pretty nice and a few grams more than other competing brands.

Carbs are at only 3g, which again is another good sign as it allows anybody to fit this into their diet usually, and less than a gram of it is sugar. Fat is at only a gram as well. Other than this there's nothing else to cover with this protein powder.

Taste isn't too bad. I meant to request for the chocolate truffle, but forgot and received the Mexican vanilla flavor. Taste was on the stronger side for me with the artificial flavoring.

Mixing is good with no clumping while used in a shaker or in protein food creations.

Dosing is basically as needed since it's protein. I used every post workout and sometimes an hour pre workout if I didn't have time for protein rich snacks. Also made protein balls and bars to eat throughout the days and at night. Each serving is 3 scoops of 10g's, which is odd to not just be one larger scoop.

Well it's protein and it helped me stay on a good recovery program and I never seemed to lose any muscle, so I'd say it does what is supposed to happen when consuming protein supplements.

Digestion wise I had no issues of diarrhea or being gassy, so again this shows a good protein mixture to consume. The bag talks a lot about the BCAA's found in whey isolate and how they are absorbed better during digestion, but I can't really say it made a whole lot more of a difference. That on top of me using 6-7g 2:1:1 BCAA produts.

Essentially a decent whey protein isolate. Nothing above average or worse to report.

Okay, so it's $52.99 a bag for 30 servings, which i around $1.77 per scoop. I couldn't find it anywhere else but on the website, so I'm going with that price. I understand most brands display an MSRP price, but actually sell it for less, but there's no sign of anything cheaper since it's not widely available.

Whey protein isolate is a step up from concentrate, but I never really see any difference that much except during digestion maybe. Maybe when this has a cheaper price it'll get a better rating; just with that price it's not competitive.

Side Effects

None to report.

Conclusion

In the end this is a decent whey protein isolate that I can't say is anything different from other brands with the exception of being higher priced. Hopefully the price drops in the future, but until then I stand with the rating given and would recommend if cheaper. Thanks for sending this out Quantified Nutrition.
  • Mexican Vanilla: 7/10