Q//FUEL Reviews

By: Quantified Nutrition

Energy Supplements > Carbohydrates
Q//FUEL is a Carbohydrate Product manufactured by Quantified Nutrition. It is designed to provide the body with the vital macronutrient carbohydrates which is used as fuel to help performance as well as improve muscle recovery.

6.8
  November 25, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Improved Endurance
  • Informed Choice
  • Dual Sided Scoop
  • The Bag

Carbohydrate supplements are something I have had minimal experience with in the past. I think a lot of that was due to these were never really products that were on my radar. So, when Quantified Nutrition put up their island coconut flavored carbohydrate matrix I wanted to give it a try. Here is the review.

Quantified Nutrition Q Fuel comes in a bag (more on that later) and has 30 servings per bag. In each serving (three 10g scoops), you have 110 calories, 28g carbohydrates (4g sugar and 7g fiber) and protein/fat are not listed so I presume they are at 0. It also contains 100mg of sodium, 325mg of magnesium and 10mg of potassium as an electrolyte blend. At the very bottom of the ingredient panel it mentions that it contains 8g of highly branched cyclic dextrin (HBCD). HBCD is a specialized type of carbohydrate that is created using starch. It is low on the glycemic index and can provide sustained energy levels. In addition, it is also faster acting as it will leave the stomach rapidly where other carbohydrate types might linger and could potentially cause some bloating. This carbohydrate has become very popular lately and has been in some popular carbohydrate supplements. The other ingredients in this product are potato and rice starch, which are probably the source of the HBCD. Then you have honey powder, which acts as a natural sweetener and a source of additional carbohydrates. Lastly, you have natural flavors, sucralose and Ace-K.

Overall, I do like the ingredient profile especially the inclusion of the HBCD. I know in the past when I have tried straight dextrose I had some GI issues with Q Fuel I had none of those. I also like the inclusion of the 7g of fiber. I do want to note that when weighing out the scoop I noticed that it was 2g heavy (12g as opposed to 10g). This was even with taking a knife and skimming the top to it was a true scoop.

Q Fuel comes in only one flavor and that is Island Coconut. When you first mix Q Fuel you will notice a pleasant coconut smell that had an almost creamy aroma to it. It tasted quite good almost like coconut milk/water. I did mix this with an intra workout I am currently reviewing and it really balanced out the taste. I do feel like this would taste great in a lot of different intra workouts. In terms of mixability, it did mix fine but there was some sediment at the bottom but I would just shake the bottle and it would disperse back into the liquid. However, I would have to mix it every time I drank as it would sink back down. I also noticed that it had some particles still in it as I would drink it. I have noticed this before in other carbohydrate products (waxy maize). As far as dosing goes, I usually just used one to two scoops with my intra workout or on its own when running.

Now, I want to talk about the packaging, it comes in a bag. I really dislike when supplements come in bags because I never feel like they properly seal. This was the case with Q Whey and Q Fuel. I kept both products in separate plastic bags because the seal on the actual bag would not seal. This was rather inconvenient and my major recommendation would be to loose the bag and put both products in a tub.

Over the course of the bag of Q Fuel I noticed increased energy, endurance and strength increases. I will begin with the energy I felt. The energy was rather subtle and it felt like I had just eaten a carbohydrate heavy meal. I did notice that for longer workouts I prefered to drink this with my intra workout but for short ones I prefered it with my pre workout. This increase in subtle energy I think gave me an edge in the gym as I felt more focused. Now, I could totally eat a bagel or something before the gym but the difference with this is it clears my stomach fast and doesn't weigh me down. Whenever I eat solid food around the gym or running I just feel off. So, with Q Fuel I am able to get that energy I would with solid carbohydrates but in a liquid form without any of odd stomach feeling. Along with this energy, I also felt more endurance and this occurred in the gym and on the trail. I sometimes will tire out or just become hungry in the gym since I eat lunch around 11:00 AM (gym is at 3:45). However, with Q Fuel I never really crashed at the gym or became hungry. On the trail, I noticed that when I would drink this after I ran I would not have that post runners crash like I usually do. I think a lot of this is due to this being a powder that I can take immediately after running. Combining the increased energy and endurance I think I made some strength gains especially in my major lifts. I was previously struggling with my endurance between exercises especially on the same days (ex. flat press to fly to incline press etc.). With Q Fuel having a little more energy and endurance enabled me to have a better transition between exercises thus leading to what I believe a more effective workout. This in turn led to some strength increases.

One thing I would also like to note in the effectiveness is the versatility of Q Fuel. I mixed it with pre workouts, intra workouts, juice and protein shakes. I felt like it was quite good in most everything I put it in except for the protein powder (but all the flavors I had were probably not the best addition to coconut). Overall, this was a solid product.

Q Fuel retails for $40.00 direct from Quantified Nutrition making it $1.33 per serving. I could not find a general coupon but at the time of this writing I noticed they had a 10% off sale for Thanksgiving and a 20% off sale for black friday. It appears that they mostly do sales around different holidays so at 20% you are looking at $1.06 per serving. However, the sales are not readily available so for comparison I will use the $1.33. The biggest competitor to this product in my opinion is Nutrabio Supercarb, which retails for $32.99 for 30 servings. This brings the price to $1.09 per scoop and the key thing is that Supercarb is 25g of HBCD with an electrolyte blend. AllMax Carbion+ is 33.50 for 40 servings making it $0.84 per serving. Q Fuel is on the high side when comparing other carbohydrate supplements. I will say that Q Fuel flavor is unique and good especially when added to an intra workout so that could add value to some.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

I really enjoyed my time with Q Fuel. I felt like it was effective in the areas of increased energy, endurance and strength. It tasted quite good and complimented many different types of supplements I mixed it with. I do feel like it is on the expensive side and there might be better alternatives when taking value into account. I also wish that they would move away from the bag and adopt a bag. Bottom line, if coconut is your favorite flavor this is worth a try as I don't really see too many coconut flavors. Thank you to Quantified Nutrition for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler

November 22, 2017

• Energy

First I would like to thank Quantified Nutrition for sending their supplement out to review, and the SR TROOP's program for making the connection possible. This is a carb supplement with multiple types of carbohydrate ingredients to form a mixture best used for intra workout or to meet macro intake if desperate enough.

Decent ingredient profile using rice starch and potato starch, along with honey powder, which was a bit different for me to see. There's 28g's of carbs, 7 of which are fiber (don't count for macro). 8g's of HBCD (highly branched cyclic dextrin) can be found in this, which in short is the awesome blood sugar spiker that hits your muscles quickly.

Another reason this was mentioned as an intra workout supplement is because it contains electrolytes. Overall this is a nice carb profile supplement, but for the price I'd like to see more HBCD per serving though.

Tasted perfectly like a coconut. Sweet, but not too sweet like most carb supplements.

Mixed perfectly fine for me and left no clumps or residue.

Dosing is noted as 3 scoops for the full ingredient profile serving size. I took this only on training days. I eat enough carbs rest of the time hahaha

Gave me the fuel a powerlifter needs to move weights, and I like to do accessory lifts afterwards too so I definitely always have 20g or more carbs mixed with BCAA. Would feel energy levels rising back up once I drank this down mid workout, and also got nice muscle pumps. 20g of HBCD will give me crazy pumps, so it was nice to see that 8g still did the same.

The electrolytes combined to possibly prevent cramps, but I usually don't cramp out, so can't say it was just this product alone. Lastly I had no issues with digestion while using this product, which is good because some of these supplements can give the runs. Overall the carbs did what they were supposed to do, which is provide energy.

$40.00 on their website is all I can find this for. Not the craziest price I've seen for carbs plus it does contain HBCD instead of just dextrose, but ultimately it's not that much HBCD for me to pay $40 for 30 servings. That makes it around $1.33 per scoop. Carb supplements are so common now that I can go on a particular website I like and pay $5.00 for some dextrose at 30 servings. Not HBCD, but same concept.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall this supplement tastes refreshing and gives the energy you need from carbs for weight training, but the price is still a bit steep for me to give a higher rating. Thanks for allowing me to review this product Quantified Nutrition.

November 5, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Endurance Improvement Proven
  • Strength Improvements

Well I do not know if everyone know's about HIGHLY BRANCHED CYCLIC DEXTRIN or not, but if you have not. You are truly missing out. We have a good write up on it here on sr.com.
I bit about me. I am almost 41 and train about 4- 5 days week and usually go pretty hard for a middle aged dad. I have recently switched to a new more powerlifters gym and I love it, so my workout's have been pretty grueling as of late. Having anything that helps give me an edge I am all for it.

Alright so this is where you can really get your nerd on with the info on this and the doseage for what works for you. But more on that later. This is for every 3, ten gram scoop's will yeld 8 grams of HBCD.
This is made from Rice starch, Potato starch, and honey powder, natural flavors , sucralose and acesulfame Potassium.
Info on HCBD
Now there is a ton of info on the web about this stuff and it can be very confusing to say the least. Especially when you start trying to figure out what dose you need to get the right osmolarity . Basically this carb source does not hang around in the stomach as long as typically carb's , it goes into the intestines and is absorbed there and shuttled into the muscles faster this way. Mind and muscle has a good write up on it too that really explain's more about this.
I will say if you research some on peri nutrition this will most likely be mentioned. If some of the pro's like John Meadow's, Dave tate and other's are using this. You might want to consider it.

Well they did do well on the taste. I had Island coconut which does taste great , when mixed with the BCAA's I recieved from them as well. But only it was just a bit too much taste. Hard to pinpoint what it was exactly but when I had more than 2 scoops it was just kind of hard to drink. I think I would rather have a tasteless version and just use it in what ever else I wanted to mix it with.
That being said, It does mix well but with a 30 gram serving there is going to be some settling on the bottom but it does continue to mix well with just a few shakes.
Now as far as dosing. This is the tricky part. You really just have to find what work's for you. That does suck but it is the only way. I will say the more you need to more water you need to have it work. In some cases some may need a half gallon of water to keep the osmolarity right for you. Too high and you can get some serious bathroom trips , too little and you will not benefit from it as much.
I seemed to be able to take 2 - 10 gram scoops with my Preworkout and Pre workout meal about 30- 45 mins before the gym and then add 1 and half scoops to my BCAA for my intra. That was my sweet spot every time.

Damn , what can I say. I was able to absolutely destroy the gym every time I hit the sweet spot with this. I had strength endurance and would recovery super fast , Especially when doing superset's and giant set's and strip sets and whatever else I can come up with.
On my heavy days I was able to continue to come in and push through previous PR'S and it was awesome. I have not felt this good in a long time.
I have always responded better to having some carb's pre workout but this stuff really does help give me an edge. I have to say I was using thier BCAA's also and that may have helped also as an intra but I really feel this was working very well.

This is not the cheapest stuff. At 48 bucks on thier website and I have no idea how much shipping is from them. If you are lucky enough to be able to get 30 servings from this , this might not be a bad deal but if you have to have more than normal dose to get this to work this can get expensive fast. But then again maybe you can just use it on the heavy day's or whatever day you really push yourself.
This is not widely available so that is one reason it is a bit higher than others you can find on the web.

Side Effects

Can be tricky to find out your dose but they do offer a Athletes Resource Calculator on thier site that can help you with finding what you need.
That being said this can cause some serious stomach issues until the correct dose is found.

Conclusion

I loved how well this worked and I will also say that mixing this Island coconut with the strawberry kiwi bcaa , it basically will taste just like a tiger's blood drink which is absolutely awesome! I would like to see the price of this come down and see what kind of deals could be found on this.