Theatrim Reviews

By: Purus Labs

Theatrim is a Thermogenic Weight Loss Product manufactured by Purus Labs. It increases the body's temperature and raises metabolism, helping to burn more calories and assist with fat loss.

March 2, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Nice Appetite Suppression
  • Consistent Results
  • Sound Profile

Good evening SR. Next up for review is the "advanced thermolipolytic & focal catalyst" by Purus Labs, TheaTrim. A big thanks goes out to the people at Purus for sending out a few bottles for the ER team. I'm always excited to try anything from them and this was no different.

----Ingredient Profile--
    The meat and potatoes of the profile lies within an InstEnergy Rapid Absorption Excitatory Blend. This 278mg blend is comprised of Infinergy Dicaffeine Malate, TeaCrine Nature-Identical Theacrine, and Caffeine. The rest of the ingredients are fully disclosed which is a big plus for me and many others. I like it.

The pills were medium sized and gel coated and were very easy to swallow. No burps or anything like that to note. Comes with 60 pills that you can dose to your liking. The warning label advises to not take more than 4 pills a day. I dosed at mostly 2 pills and sometimes 3.

The main effect I received was a nice dose of energy at 2 pills. About the boost I would get from a Monster. I dosed in the morning to avoid sleeplessness and to provide a nice boost to start the day. It was the only stims I would take in the morning. No energy drinks and no coffee. The energy would last till about lunch time with no signs of a crash. It would simply wear off. With 3 pills the energy was really good and would last a tad bit longer.

Accompanied by the energy was a slight increase in focus and a clear mind. That was probably just from the fact that I had the energy to think clearly. At 3 pills the focus and clarity were much more noticeable and very enjoyable

I was able to manage by food intake quite well. Urges during the day and at night were tamed and I was able to get an appropriate amount of food without any unnecessary junk. I enjoyed that it didnt completely zap any hunger but rather just the urge to overeat.

As far as a thermo, I would say it's mild at best. At 2 pills the was an increase in body temp but not to the point of increased sweating but rather a warm feeling. At 3 pills I would get some armpit sweat and sometimes a some sweaty palms.

You can find a bottle of Theatrim from about 25-30 dollars. Value is in the eye of the beholder but compared to like products this is a very competitive price and with the proven record of Purus, you can trust that you are getting a quality product. 1 pill a day will last 60 days, 2 pills for 30 days, and 3 pills for 20 days.

Side Effects

I really had no side effects. No anxiety, nausea, sleeplessness, or increased heart rate. Everything was smooth.

Conclusion

I really enjoyed my run with TheaTrim. It seemed to have all the good you would want from a thermo. If you are looking for the strongest thermo ever then you may have to look elsewhere but if you're looking for consistent energy, a mild increase in focus, clarity, appetite suppression, and thermo then look no further. The profile includes both proven ingredients and the boldness of using an innovative ingredient with Teacrine. At 25-30 bucks for about a month, I would recommend you pick this up and give it a go sometime.

January 30, 2015

• Increased Mood
    • Not Very Effective At Initial Dose
    • A Bit Pricey

Purus is a company I've always loved and used so when they touted this as a revolutionary/next generation thermogenic, I was interested. Purus also promised other benefits such as increased mental alertness, decreased fatigue, increased sense of overall well being, decreased appetite, etc.

iSamurai has already done an outstanding job of listing all the ingredients so I won't replicate his work. The highlighted ingredient is TeaCrine, however it's mixed in with a prop blend of caffeine and dicaffeine malate, so it's really hard to tell how effective the TeaCrine is when sandwiched in between two caffeine sources.

-----
    I found taking 2 caps a day , mid morning and mid afternoon worked best for me for overall energy and alertness. I also tried this at 3 times a day but saw no need to either double up on one dose or extend the dosing longer into the day.

I'm normally a pretty stim tolerant person. I will say that I got little to no fat burning benefits from this with diet remaining equal. I also got very little appetite suppression. What I did get was, as promised, a pretty good sense of well being and smooth energy. Need to hit it right out of the gate when you train at 0530 - not your product. Need consistent mental acuity and focus and well being throughout the day - this is it. Overall though, I found it ineffective as a thermogenic or ft burner.

This goes for around $29.99 online for 60 caps. Depending on how you use it, at best, that's probably a month's worth, tops. For me personally, that's too low a value for just a wellness support. However, it's a solid choice if you find yourself dragging on a consistent basis - if I needed it like that, I would have rated value higher.

Side Effects

none - which actually is great - no jitters or crash like most other thermos or energy supplements.

Conclusion

Like I said, as a thermogenic or fat-burner, I found this fell well short of expectations. But I was indeed surprised by how well it adapted to the role of daily energy and alertness. Sure, in that role it's a bit pricey, but if you're a student or need a high amount of mental focus during your normal day, I think this is worth giving a shot.

December 7, 2014

• Sometimes Uncomfortable Sides
    • Anxiety
    • Inconsistent Appetite Suppression
    • Extensive Shaking
    I’ve been impressed with Purus Labs products in the past and feel they make a solid effort to not just release the same products as everyone else, but take a forwarding looking role and strive to innovate. Theatrim, in my eyes, certainly falls into this category. There is a specific problem with this product for me personally that I will outline below as I have found I’m now extremely sensitive to one of the ingredients.

Profile Overview

There are a number of excellent reviews other members have already posted that include the profile however, I feel it’s worthwhile to post again:

A serving of 1 capsule includes:

Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) - 250mcg
    InstEnergy Rapid Absorption Excitatory Blend - 278mg
    --- Infinergy Dicaffeine Malate, TeaCrine Nature-Identical Theacrine, Caffeine
    SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine) - 125mg
    Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex (std. min. 40% hesperedin) - 125mg
    White Willow Bark Extract (std. min. 25% salicin) - 80mg
    Rauwolfia Vomitoria Root Bark Extract (std. min. 90% rauwolscine) - 500mcg

That last ingredient, Rauwolfia Vomitoria, is the one that I now have some difficulty tolerating. More on that below.

These are good sized capsules that pose no problem when swallowing. I never experienced any issues with bad aftertaste, ‘smoky burps’ or digestive problems.

The bottle recommends assessing your tolerance with a single capsule at first and ratchets up from there to a maximum recommended dose of two caps with your first meal and two more caps 4-6hrs later.

I tried various methods of dosing with this ranging from one cap per day on an empty stomach (or with my first meal) to two with my first meal and two with lunch and essentially all one and two cap combinations in-between.

Theatrim worked for me from the perspective of keeping additional pounds off through some poor eating choice periods between Halloween and Thanksgiving. To be fair, I can have a bit of a binge/purge tendency in this area. Not in the true sense of the term by forcing myself to be sick after eating but more like eating poorly one day and being ultra strict the next.
    The energy provided from Theatrim would come on great but did give me issues as mentioned above.
    I also experienced a somewhat inconsistent appetite suppression component with this product. It was odd that it would swing back and forth the way it did and I couldn’t put my finger on why it was great one day and gone the next.
    I would feel a solid thermogenic effect with any two cap dose I took but I always felt it was tied to the Rauwolfia Vomitoria effects I experienced. At a single cap dose I never really felt a thermogenic effect but did still feel the effects of the Rauwolfia Vomitoria.
    Other reviewers mention an impact on their regularity while taking Theatrim but I honestly saw no difference during this entire run.
    I was really excited for the focus component of this product. Anything that has me focused and engaged ranks high on my list. I did experience a fair amount of focus while taking this however, it was more pointed toward anxiety and the issue I experienced.

The problem I had with Theatrim is 100% related to the Rauwolfia Vomitoria. This would make me shake tremendously at the 2 and 2 cap dose and even at the end of the bottle when I ratcheted back down to 1 and 1 caps during the day I’d still get some severe shakes. Along with the shakes was an anxious feeling as well. The anxiety seemed to be due to being laser focused on the fact that I was shaking so bad. The majority of the time I was taking this I was at work and it was very noticeable to my co-workers. I was clearly shaking whenever I needed to sign something, handle papers or shake hands.
    As mentioned at the beginning of this review, I believe this is clearly my personal reaction to Rauwolfia Vomitoria as I have discovered the same problem with other products containing this ingredient. I have now just come to a point where I find it’s best if I avoid it since I’m obviously quite sensitive to it. Judging by the other reviews from folks who took similar doses to I without negative effects, I can’t really take too much off my rating due to my personal issue with it.

Theatrim runs in the range of $25-$30 online and falls in line with many other effective products in this category. To me, that’s a reasonable price and wouldn’t deter me from trying Theatrim over another product in this realm at the same price point.

This is a strange one for me because I had positive results and feel it’s an effective product but also experienced the negative effects I personally get from Rauwolfia Vomitoria. Are my ratings affected by that experience? Sure they are. They have to be, but, if you know you can tolerate the ingredients in here by all means give Theatrim a go!

Thank you Purus Labs for allowing the Expert Review team to evaluate some of your product offerings. I hope this helps you gain a better perspective of this product and assists in your decision to purchase.

November 20, 2014

• Pooping
    • Scales Well
    • Anxiety
    • No Thermo
    Alright let's get started with the 2 highlights of this product:
    1. Life-changing bowel movements
    2. Awesome smooth energy
    If either of those are what you're looking for, this product is for you.

Now let's get a little more in depth on this product.

--Profile-- 9/10
    Effectively fully disclosed. Small proprietary stim blend of dicaffeine malate, theacrine, and caffeine anhydrous. It discloses elsewhere on the packaging that 150mg of caffeine is included per cap
    The dosages are sensible, and it scales very well for bigger (or smaller) people to take the amount they want without having to worry about getting too much of some ingredient and too little of another.

--Packaging-- 10/10
    Slick packaging. I really like it. Of course I'm not factoring this into my overall number, but I do like the packaging. No pills were cracked or split.

--Effectiveness-- 7/10
    Thermo: none. Plain and simple I didn't sweat, feel hot, or anything during my entire run.

Energy: YES! Wonderful clean energy. No jitters & no crash. Twice I felt some stimulant type anxiety during this run, but it wasn't too bad.

Focus: Slight increase in focus to accompany the energy, but nothing beyond that.

Appetite Suppression: Inconsistent. Some days I was hungry an hour after my dose, some days my tummy started growling and I had to tell it I wasn't even hungry yet. It clearly had an effect on appetite but occasional appetite stimulation isn't a good thing in product that is intended for weight loss.

Poops: You thought coffee triggered some GI action? That's nothing compared to what this stuff does. I don't think much more elaboration is necessary.

Overall: I'm convinced that I would've lost less fat if I had eaten the same diet without taking this product. The science is there, and I got reasonable results.

--Dosing-- 9/10
    I tried several different dosing schemes: 1AM, 1AM + 1PM, 2AM + 1PM, 2AM + 2PM, and my personal favorite 2AM.
    The effects were greatest when I started a day with 2 pills. I couldn't tell a difference when I took a pill in the afternoon. Taking another 2 in the afternoon absolutely kills the value and kept me up late. Taking just one in the morning just wasn't up to par.
    No burps or aftertaste. No difference dosing with or without food. Pills are slightly on the larger side.

--Value-- 7/10
    Hard to compare to other products as an 'Advanced Thermolypolytic & Focal Catalyst'
    Compared to caffeine pills, the value isn't very good. Compared to self control and jogging, the value isn't very good.
    Compared to other products in similar categories, the value isn't so bad.

--Overall-- 7/10
    Full disclosure. Scales well to any size and weight. Great energy and great poops. Starting a day with 2 pills is fantastic. Check out Bosox and iSam's experiences too and see if this product is of interest to you. The log of our experiences can be found here http://supplementreviews.com/forum/index.php?topic=30764.0 which includes before and after pictures.

November 19, 2014

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Solid Thermo
    • Increased Mood
    • Not Very Effective At Initial Dose
    • Sometimes Uncomfortable Sides
    Thank you Purus Labs (Randoja and Grambo specifically) for selecting a few of us SR.com users to test drive this product. It’s the companies that decide to take risks and explore the boundaries of known supplement science that tend to have the biggest impact, and with the inclusion of a brand new patent-pending ingredient, I think Purus Labs have come up with something that is, at the very least, a respectable spearhead for theacrine products.

I want to give iSamurai a shout out for a great review. I’ll try not to duplicate too many of his points, as he did a very thorough job. So let’s get to it…

INGREDIENTS: B+

SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine) 125mg
    Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex (std. min. 40% hesperedin) 125mg
    White Willow Bark Extract (std. min. 25% salicin) 80mg
    Rauwolfia vomitoria Root Bark Extract (std. min. 90% rauwolscine) 500mcg

Pros: Lots of familiar ingredients with various benefits aside from those contributing to weight loss. Rather than a slew of underdosed, questionably effective extracts, TheaTrim contains a healthy amount of proven ingredients. In other words, it's something that seems like it wants to be good at a few things, rather than mediocre at a lot of things.

Theacrine is, of course, the one ingredient of particular note. Examine.com has a lot of interesting leads for further research, including the role of theacrine in adenosine and dopamine signaling. Apparently theacrine shows sedative effects at lower doses, and stimulating effects at higher doses, which explains why kucha tea (one of its natural sources) is often suggested for relaxation. Like other such compounds, the information at hand seems to suggest theacrine can be physically relaxing, while being mentally stimulating, which explains some of the effects I experienced.

Cons: The specific amount of caffeine (150mg) is disclosed, but on a totally separate part of the label in very small print. Why not just put it on the Supp Facts panel? I also think the dose of willow bark extract seems a bit low, though it isn’t necessarily a major player. Otherwise, no other misgivings.

DOSING: A

Just about as easy as can be, with a lot of room to judge personal tolerance and needs. You could take as little as one pill a day, or as many as four (split into to two doses). Instructions and warnings regarding dosing are clearly given on the container. There’s even a little dosing diagram for those of us with an aversion to words. The key with this is versatility.

Like iSamurai, I tried out a few different dosing protocols. I tried one pill in the morning, good but not great. One in the morning and one in the afternoon was better, but still not quite what I needed. Two in the morning was a little too stimulating. I settled on one in the morning, and then two in the late afternoon/early evening hours. I work until 9 PM on most days, so having the extra help to carry me through the end of the day was a big plus.

EFFECTIVENESS: B

I’ll split this up into the different categories of impact that most of us look for in this kind of product. I will put them in order of their perceived intensity.

1. Energy – Theacrine definitely creates a unique effect in this realm. It seemed to take longer than caffeine to kick in and last a bit longer, while creating a buzz that was more psychologically oriented than physically oriented. I think caffeine and theacrine make a great time-release pair because of this difference. The energy usually felt pretty clean and easy, except for the one morning I took two pills and still had my morning coffee. Way too much of a hyped up, hyper-vigilant, cracked-out feeling. Normally too much caffeine doesn’t bother me much, but the psychological aspect of theacrine in combination made the rush very uncomfortable.

2. Thermogenesis – A close second to energy. One pill in the morning usually didn’t create too much of a thermo effect, but two in the afternoon certainly did. I would find myself hot and sweaty no matter what I was doing, even just sitting in gym shorts and a T-shirt. I could certainly imagine this product increasing the total calories burned through any activity.

3. Appetite Suppression – There isn’t much out there can suppress my appetite, and I didn’t notice much of an impact in this area with TheaTrim. It’s hard to judge properly because it’s suggested to dose with food anyway. I did notice on a few occasions that I’d be experiencing some hunger pangs, I’d take my afternoon dose without food, and those rumblings would subside for a little while. But then I’d get a bit of acid reflux and some funny-tasting burps. My overall feeling here is… meh.

There is another category that is a bit harder to put my finger on, but holds significance nonetheless. I did sometimes notice an increased mood, which would manifest as talkativeness, or whistling, or just a general desire to do something productive. This was subtle when it occurred and possibly a placebo, but plausible when considering the combination of ingredients.

As for total effectiveness as a weight loss supplement, I’d say it works adequately. My goals with this were more to keep fat gain at bay while I try to gain strength and muscle. When I began my current routine back in August, I was gaining about 2-3 pounds per week. While on Theatrim in the past month, I only gained about 2 pounds (211-213), and this while maintaining pretty consistent strength gains. I also believe I look leaner for having taken it, compared to what I’m used to seeing, particularly in my quads (which have always been thick, but never lean). This is all with pretty much the same routine as before I started taking it – not much cardio, and less than ideal diet.

SIDE EFFECTS: B-

As I mentioned, two pills in the morning was a little bit too much. I shouldn’t have taken two pills so close to my morning coffee, but the effect was one I did not expect. It was very uncomfortable, mentally as well as physically.

It’s also not a good idea to take this product before exercise. Some weight loss supplements function well pre-workout for their energy, focus, and thermogenic effects, but this one did not. I think I only took it twice before lifting, but both times I experienced headache, nausea, and felt weaker than usual. I think perhaps the sedating undertones of theacrine might have produced that last effect, but I can’t say for certain.

Also (and this might be a coincidence) I had my blood pressure taken about a week ago, and it was higher than usual. Not in the hypertensive range, but it made me raise an eyebrow. Worth noting, I think.

VALUE: B-

About $26 from most vendors, which is a little less than what I see as the standard 30 for 30 ($30 for 30 days). As with most products, the value depends heavily on how you use it. Taking only one pill a day would make this extremely cost-effective, two/day pretty average, and 3/day a bit less appealing. I wager that if I took some time to let my tolerance reset, 2/day would work just fine for me. I think most people would see results from 2-3/day, which makes this at least worthy of consideration. The novelty of theacrine itself might make it worth a buy, just to see if it might be something that works extremely well for you. This is something I would definitely consider purchasing.

OVERALL: B

This is a smart product with a new and exciting ingredient, and it performs. Combined with sound diet and exercise, I’m sure it would rival most fat loss supplements. Like any product, it is not a magic pill that will do all the work for you. But it has effects than can be felt readily, and whether your goals be cut or recomp, it can help.

Bottom line – intriguing profile, good energy, decent thermo, so-so appetite suppression, average price. Worth a look.

November 15, 2014

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Solid Thermo
    • Nice Appetite Suppression
    • Consistent Results
    • Not Enough Stimulants At 2day
    What's going on SR? It's been a while since I've done a review, so hopefully I can shake off the rust. First, I'd like to thank Randoja, Grambo, and the team over at Purus Labs for allowing me to log this product. It's been a while since a fat burner/thermo supplement that has caught my attention, primarily because most of them are all really similar. But, what stood out to me about this product, is the introduction of Theacrine -- an ingredient I had never heard of before (I'll elaborate on it more when we get to the ingredients). I thought this product would be very interesting to try and was really happy that I was 1 of the 3 selected, to give poo a shot. Please keep in mind that I was not cutting during this run, I was primarily focused on recomping. I was following Carb Night for the duration of this run, and I was eating at maintenance on non-training days, and 400-500 calories over maintenance on training days. Pretty much, I did not want to lose more than 1lb a week so I didn't sacrifice any strength/muscle. Now, here we go...

Dose: Recommended 2 pills a day, 1 with your first meal, and another 4-6 hours later (depending on tolerance).

Profile:
    SAMe (S-adenosylmethionine) - 125mg
    Citrus Bioflavonoid Complex (std. min. 40% hesperedin) - 125mg
    White Willow Bark Extract (std. min. 25% salicin) - 80mg
    Rauwolfia vomitoria Root Bark Extract (std. min. 90% rauwolscine) - 500mcg

Pretty common ingredients outside of the Theacrine. Here's Purus Labs' writeup of TeaCrine: TeaCrine is a patent-pending purine alkaloid found naturally in the leaves of the legendary Chinese Kucha tea and in the fruit of the Brazilian Cupuacu plant. Human studies have reported favorable impact on psychometric indices of energy and anti-fatigue as well as an increased overall sense of well being. As part of TheaTrim's revolutionary InstEnergy blend, TeaCrine synergistically creates a unique psychosensory experience unparalleled among today's thermogenics.

From a little bit of additional research as well -- TeaCrine has a similar structure as caffeine, but apparently you're not supposed to build up a tolerance the way you do with caffeine. Also, I saw that it has shown some anti-inflammatory effects as well. Now how did this revolutionary ingredient affect me? Let's move forward...

Effectiveness: I experimented with several different dosing methods. I started with 2x a day for the first week to assess my tolerance. I then tried 3x a day and 4x a day, but I felt 3x a day is where I liked it best -- in regard to effects and value. At 4x a day, you're just going to be running through bottles. Also, I'm a stimulant junkie with quite a high stimulant tolerance. Since I ran the majority of this bottle at 3x a day, this is what I'll be basing the effectiveness off of.
    -Energy - 7 - I'm rating this a 7 because I was somewhat disappointed with the energy surge I got from this product. Don't get me wrong, it provided a decent kick, but I actually prefer the jittery feeling. It was more a clean energy supplement which I'm sure people with lower stimulant tolerances would enjoy a lot. Now in regard to the Theacrine, I did notice that I didn't build a tolerance to this product during the 3-3.5 weeks I was using this. But, I feel a more accurate reading would be if I had ran 2-3 bottles back to back, to really put it to the test.
    -Appetite Suppression - 8 - I actually had some really solid appetite suppression during my morning and afternoon doses. I usually eat breakfast around 8am and this product helped me get through to lunch, around 1pm, without snacking continuously. I usually do sip on BCAA's in between breakfast and lunch, but the appetite suppression was definitely noticeable and consistent.
    -Thermo - 9 - In my opinion, this was the highlight of the product. My job has me sitting down at a desk pretty much all day. And there were several instances where I noticed I started sweating by just sitting there. If that's not a good indication of a thermo, IDK what is.
    -Fat Loss* - 8 - I put a * here because there is just so much that goes into fat loss outside of using a supplement. I started the log at 192 and ended at 188. So I lost 4lbs in about 3-3.5 weeks, which is what I was hoping to accomplish -- I didn't want rapid weight loss. Like I mentioned before with utilizing Carb Night, I was eating at maintenance or 400-500 calories over, during this run. I did notice that I got leaner according to the mirror, to the point where my abs were becoming more and more visible. Also, I did absolutely no cardio.
    -Anti-inflammatory - To be honest, I can't give this an accurate reading because I was using Super Cissus alongside of TheaTrim. I will mention that my injured shoulder continued to get better, but I cannot directly attribute this to the anti-inflammatory effects of the Theacrine.

Value: 8 - The cheapest I found this is at Allstarhealth.com at $25.99 a bottle. If you follow the 2/day protocol, you're looking at less than a $1 a day. However, if you follow the 3/day protocol, you're looking at around $1.29 per day. IMO still a really good value from a product like this.

Overall: 8 - This is a really solid product that I enjoyed running. Once I found the sweet spot with my dosing at 3/day, I really enjoyed the effects I received and they remained consistent. I managed to lose 4lbs while not cutting, the thermo kicked in nicely, energy was clean, and appetite suppression was nice. Now if I was cutting, I expect this product would shine even more. Would I recommend this to someone else? Absolutely. Even though it didn't have the energy surge I was hoping for, not everyone is a stimulant junkie like myself, and actually prefer a product to provide clean energy. Thank you again to the guys at Purus Labs for allowing me to give this a go...another solid product from a very reputable brand.