(Better than 20% in Other Protein)

KetoFeed is an Alternative Protein Supplement manufactured by Purus Labs. It provides additional dietary proteins that can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.

Protein > Other Protein

6.6
  March 23, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Delicious
  • Healthy Fats
  • Great Coffee Creamer
  • Curbed Appetite

I haven't been lifting real heavy or often but instead trying to maintain muscle mass and keep fat down while taking some time off from the fitness lifestyle. I decided to try a little bit of keto diets

This being a keto product the carbs are almost non existent at 1g per scoop. The protein is dosed at 20g of WPI which is a littlw lower than most protein supplements, but i have found that WPI really sits well with me and i tolerate it very well. Lastly thw fats are much higher than usual protein supplements, but they are from MCTs fir the purpose of supplying energy when your body is carb depleted.

I received the salted vanilla caramel flavor, i have never even tried regular salted vanilla caramel, so i dont have a lot to compare this too. I can say that it was a very pleasant taste, very smooth and not too overpowering the caramel aspect was very good and really stood out. I used this in coffee and as a protein shake snack. And i never had any issues with mixing.

As a coffee creamer this was effective in adding a significant amount of proteinband a slight flavor kick to my morning beverage without having to eat anything. As a shake this satisfied my hunger pains and kept me feeling full for several hours. My digestive system handled this fairly well but i did have a little stomach discomfort on a few occasions from the mct's im assuming.

At 15 servings for around $25 this is a little steep considering the lower amount of protein in it. For special situations i could see using this, but as a staple i think it would be a little too expensive.

Side Effects

Conclusion

I have been curious about this product since it 1st came out and i can say it didnt disappoint. Thanks to purus labs fir putting out another above average product and allowing us troopers to try it out.
  • Salted vanilla caramel : 7/10

December 30, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Delicious
  • Healthy Fats
  • Curbed Appetite
  • Great Coffee Creamer
  • Some Side Effects

Prior to accepting Ketofeed I was experimenting with a keto diet. I will be honest it was not working out well and I received Ketofeed about two weeks in. A little after that I decided to scratch the keto diet and decided to use Ketofeed as a appetite curbing snack and as a coffee creamer. Here is the review.

Ketofeed comes in a small container with 15 40g servings. Each serving has 170 calories, 10g of fat (5g saturated fat), 1g of carbohydrate, and 20g of protein. The protein source is whey protein isolate and they mention that there are zero net carbs. It also does not contain any dyes or fillers. I will note that it is sweetened with sucralose and ace-k. The main ingredient and draw to this product is the MCT powder. The major thing with MCT powder is that it can be used as a fuel source and it not typically stored as fat. There is some evidence that MCT powder can enhance weight loss. In addition, people that took MCT powder were shown to eat less than individuals that did not. MCT powder also have been shown to have antioxidant properties and can crossover the blood brain barrier.

Ketofeed comes in two flavors and they are samoa chocolate cream and salted vanilla caramel. I requested the samoa chocolate cream and that is what I recieved. When you first open the container it has a creamy samoa smell to it. I mostly mixed this with coffee or I would I make a small shake with some milk and a quarter of a scoop. In coffee this was quite good and I never saw myself needing to add a sweetener to my coffee. It gave the coffee a samoa cream taste. In milk, it was really good and tasted almost candy bar like. In terms of mixability, I always used a spoon and felt like it mixed fairly well using a spoon. I mixed it once in a blender bottle and it mixed great with the blender ball.

In terms of dosing, I used this in two ways, as a coffee creamer and a small snack with milk. I did try to do a full shake once but I had some significant GI side effects. As a coffee creamer, I would mix a quarter scoop into my coffee with spoon. As a small snack with milk, it was also a quarter scoop with milk. I felt like both of these were effective in curbing my appetite.

I am going to focus on the effectiveness of this product based on weight management and "energy" I got from the product. The major way I took this was as a creamer for coffee. What I noticed that when I would use it this way, it would almost extend and mellow out coffees energy properties. So, I noticed that the energy from coffee instead of peaking right away and dropping off, lasted a little longer. However, the energy was less than if I drank coffee black. I prefer this in the mornings as I noticed black coffee would wear off quickly. With Ketofeed I had less intense energy but it lasted longer. I did try this before a workout with coffee and did not like how it made me feel. So, I stuck with using this as a coffee creamer for the extended energy.

In terms of weight management, I felt like Ketofeed was effective in curbing my appetite. I noticed that when I used this in the morning as a coffee creamer I wasn't really hungry until about 2-3 hours later. I really liked this because usually coffee alone will only curb my appetite for an hour max. One of my major issues with weight loss is eating at night. So, using this as a small snack with skim milk definitely helped me stop from eating over my calories at night.

Ketofeed retails for $24.99 from most websites for 15 servings making it $1.66 per serving. If you are using this as a full scoop I think this is quite pricey. However, using it as a sporadic coffee creamer and snack to curb appetite I think the price is okay. I wouldn't mind paying that as I think the bottle would last fairly long. Furthermore, I have tried using other proteins as coffee creamers and they just didn't taste good or wouldn't mix. So, I feel for the "bulletproof coffee" lite creamer this is worth the price for me. However, I could see it being viewed as expensive since MCT powder isn't that expensive ($21.99 for one pound at Nutrabio).

Side Effects

I did have some GI side effects from what I presume was the MCT poweder in the product. On the first day of receiving this I mixed a scoop with milk and about an hour after I was running for the bathroom. I found that anything over a quarter scoop at one time would give me GI side effects. So, to alleviate this I only used at max a quarter of a scoop at one time and never really went over a half scoop a day. If a person was to purchase this I would just be cognizant of how MCT powder might affect you and dose accordingly.

Conclusion

Overall, I really liked Ketofeed as a supplement to blunt and extent the energy I got from coffee. In addition, it helped me to curb my appetite in the mornings and at night where I tend to overeat. As a coffee creamer and quarter scoop snack, I think it has some value. I would definitely start with a lower dosage to see how you react to the MCT powder. Ketofeed is definitely worth a try. Thank you to Purus Labs for sending out the product.

-Xcmiler
  • Samoa Chocolate Cream: 8/10

December 11, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Delicious
  • Healthy Fats
  • Helps Cravings

Hey SR, back at it again today with a review for Purus Labs' protein supplement KetoFeed. Since I have been following the Carb Nite protocol (Ketosis diet) for close to a year now since my ACL surgery, this product definitely peaked my interest. I also like Purus Labs products and have had a lot of success with them in the past I was eager to give this try. This is different than the average protein as it's whey protein isolate with a pretty big dose of MCTs, mostly from coconut oil. These types of fats are supposed to be very healthy for you, providing benefits to brain function, metabolism, and provide a boost to fat burning through ketosis. Since this was designed specifically for the diet I have been on, I was happy to check this product out.

A pretty interesting profile, as there are differences from your normal protein supplement. Extremely low carb, which it should be for keto, at 1 g. Made it so I didn't have to account for this product at all in terms of carbs which is nice. A little disappointing on protein amount, as you get 20 g which is lower than most protein supplements that you give you close to 25. It is a higher quality with isolate, but I'd still prefer more here. You also get more of some things that may scare some away, such as calories at 170 and fats at 10 g (5 g saturated). The calories should be able to be fit in to most diets, what will scasre people is the fat but the source as MCTs are much healthier than the usual fats. Also, most ketosis dieters actually need these fats as the body switches to using fats as fuels instead of carbs. I'm pretty guilty of this as sometimes I don't keep my fats high enough, eating a lot of chicken, ground turkey, etc. I think this is what happens to most first time ketosis diets and causes a lot of the side effects that make it unbearable, so I don't mind the inclusion of these fats at all as it is supposed to aid the fat burning. So overall, I think this protein supplement serves a purpose for ketosis dieters, providing a fast acting protein and healthy fat source to aid in hunger, cravings, brain function, and fat burning.

I can't express enough how delicious this was, which was kind of problematic in the end. I had the Samoa Chocolate Cream flavor and it tasted just like the girt scout cookies. Amazing. The texture was definitely thicker than your normal shake, but that was a good thing as I used it more as a meal replacement/hunger attacks and it was more filling. Dosing was whenever and is flexible, I used whenever I was starving. Purus even says you can use it as a coffee creamer, in pudding, etc. but I always used just as a shake.

So, this one is a little trickier than normal to judge effectiveness as this is a specialty protein and protein itself is hard to judge. I think this worked well as an isolate, providing protein that fit into macros as a good protein supplement would. Did the added MCTs and fats help my ketosis diet? This is hard to tell. I did not/could not use this every day (value), so I don't think it sped up the fat burning aspect of my diet more than normal as I did not lose weight at a faster rate. I do think it helped keep my sanity though at times and definitely did a good job at curing the cravings. It was a very satisfying shake to have and the flavor/sweetness really helped me keep my diet on track. I also did not feel a hindrance in terms of brain function, alertness etc so it kept my body going as it used the fats for fuel. So, did this help fat burning for me? Not so much. Did it help me stay on track with a keto diet and help me with cravings, protein and fat macros? Yes. It was definitely better than just using a whey shake, but how much better really depends on the value and your will power.

Already talked about this area some, and here's why: It's $25 for just 15 servings. Definitely more expensive than your average protein shake and it would only last you two weeks if used everyday. And it's extremely delicious I wanted to use it every day! However I didn't for a couple reasons.

#1: I wanted to get a month out of this product, so I wanted to string it out.
#2: Following the carb nite protocol, you eat less than 25 carbs a day for 10 days, then you get a cheat meal to reset your metabolism. Once you cheat however, it takes about 2 days to get back into that fat burning mode again. I felt if I used this shake during this time it would be wasted as the main benefits of this shake is when you're in ketosis, not trying to get into ketosis. This did help in terms of length of use, but still very expensive in terms of price per serving. I think I have really good will power and my body has adjusted to this diet really well and is used to it, so I don't think I could justify buying it again at this price. If you're new to keto or have tried it and is unbearable, I could see this helping as it really did help in those bad moments.

Side Effects

Conclusion

This has it's place in the keto world and really did help with cravings and overall feeling, but is pretty expensive for the amount of servings you get.