New Zealand Beef Jerky Reviews

By: Protein Factory

Protein > Beef Protein
New Zealand Beef Jerky is a Beef Protein Powder manufactured by Protein Factory. It is a common, animal based alternative to traditional dairy based protein and is good for those who cannot tolerate dairy based products. The additional dietary protein can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.

December 16, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Purity
  • No Unnecessary FillersFlavorsPreservatives
  • High Quality Ingredients
  • No Nitrates
  • Low Carb
  • No MSG
  • Low Fat

No soy, nitrates, or MSG

Ingredients

Beef, Salt, Brown Sugar and Spice
I know right?
These ingredients are as natural as you would ever want to see in a healthy protein snack.
Well, assuming you aren't vegetarian that is

One thing I found a little unusual, the math!
There is 28g in an ounce and the listed serving size is exactly that. However, when you add up the 15g Protein + 1g Carb + 2.5g Fat +.5g sodium = 19g. Where is the other 9g? I'm assuming this is the wet weight before processing? Perhaps that's just the industry standard, but it still seems a little dishonest to me. My whey isolate powder isn't measured this way. Why should jerky?

Taste / Texture

--------
Texture wise this has got to be the thinnest jerky on the planet. I swear they cut this beef with a butcher's meat slicer on the thinnest setting. As Seinfeld's Kramer says, "I've cut slices so thin, you couldn't even see them!" Ok, that's an exaggeration, but seriously, I think you can actually see light through these slices. Anyways, the thinness makes this the most unusual textured jerky ive eaten. Not in a bad way though as it totally eliminates the sore jaw syndrome you can get from thicker shoe leather jerkies.

Now onto taste:
While I give a lot of leeway to the flavoring of various performance enhancing supplements like pre-workout powders, snacks get judged super hard. With that being said, I honestly did not enjoy the flavor of this product at all. I will go so far to say that I found it barely tolerable. Was it as bad as MyProtein's Protein Bites? Not at all, but it's safe to say that after my first jerky strip, I didn't care for another. I guess im just used to the higher carb, less healthy versions more easily obtained at grocery stores everywhere. More on this below.

--------------------
The only place I found these was directly from the Protein Factory website. Currently a single 4oz pack can be had for $8. You can also buy a 7 pack for $50($7 each). I find this falls in line with the majority of mainstream jerkies on the market today.

------------
Judging this product solely as a protein snack, it fits the bill perfectly. High in protein, low in carbs and fats. There is no denying that if you require more protein in your diet and are sick of drinking it, this is a solid outta the park home run.

So how can you go wrong?
Well it's a snack and if I'm going to spend my hard earned cash on a snack, I want it to taste really good.

How delicious does it need to be?
Enjoyable enough that I don't want to stop eating it, but filling enough that I able to.

With that being said, I first tried this jerky on its own. I found it to have a very bland beef flavor that was overly salty. It was so unenjoyable in fact that I decided to eat the remainder as a side with my lunch. Better, but still so salty that I couldn't finish the little 4oz bag in one sitting and honestly, I really didnt want to.

-----------

Side Effects

-------------
Nothing truly negative except the overwhelming urge to eat/drink something else to cover up the salty aftertaste.

-----------

Final Words

-------------
Performing a little internet searching, I made some comparisons of this ZB Beef and other popular beef jerky jerkies. I examined Jack Links, Oberto, Pacific Gold and while they all had very similar ingredient profiles, the one thing that was obviously different is the added carbs. These wonderful wonderful flavor carbs that can take a dried out hunk of red meat and turn it into an absolutely delicious high protein snack. Sure, these carbs take away some of the nutritional appeal, but it's a hell of a lot more enjoyable and therefore, snack-worthy.

Then again, looking at the big picture, this product was not really made for people like me. It was made for those of you counting every last calorie and macronutrient of everything you put in your mouth. And perhaps if the majority of your diet consists of steamed white rice and plain chicken breasts, this NZ Beef Jerky just might taste amazing to your under developed taste buds. Keep this in mind though: Even 8 time Mr. Olympia Ronnie Coleman smothered his chicken breasts with BBQ sauce.

December 3, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • High Quality Ingredients
  • No Unnecessary FillersFlavorsPreservatives
  • Super Convenient
  • Not Enough PackagingPurchase Options
Thanks to Protein Factory for participating in the TROOP/ER Program. I have to admit, I was giddy when I saw beef jerky in my CP and snatched it up as soon as I could. I'm not really a connoisseur of jerkies, but I'm a big fan and it's a pretty common snack in my home, so I was excited to give this a try.

INGREDIENTS: A

Let's be honest, sticking "New Zealand" in the title of anything makes it sound cooler. I mean, that's where they filmed a lot of The Lord of the Rings movies. Seriously though, New Zealand is pretty well know for their propensity toward livestock, and you can't go wrong with 100% pure Angus beef. This stuff is lean, virtually no carbs, and lower in sodium than most jerkies you could buy retail. No soy, no nitrates, and no MSG. This is about as pure as you can get without raising the cows, killing them, bathing in their blood (if that's your thing), butchering the meat, and treating it yourself. There are only 4 ingredients... the meat, salt, brown sugar, and spices.

And 15g of whole beef protein in a single ounce? That's pretty fantastic. Not much else to say about that.

TASTE/TEXTURE: A

Perfect, in my opinion. Just salty enough, just sweet enough, just spicy enough. A lot of jerky varieties overdo it on at least one of those qualities, but everything is in perfect balance with this stuff. I also love how thinly sliced it is, not thick chewy pieces like you get with those big, evil, corporate jerky manufacturers. It has the consistency of a real thin hard salami or prosciutto maybe, very easy to contend with but just enough toughness to help you savor it.

EFFECTIVENESS: A

It made me happy, provided good whole protein for my diet, and was super convenient. What more can you say?

VALUE: B-

This stuff isn't exactly cheap. With the quality of ingredients, you can't expect it to be cheap, and in my opinion it would be money well spent. You can get a single 4oz. package for $7.99, or save a bit and get a 7 pack for $49.99. Compared to something like Jack Links though, which is not as clean a product, this isn't all that much more expensive. As hard as it is for me to part with $50 for any reason, the quality you get for your money is undeniable. If anything, I'd like to see some more quantity/packaging options. Larger bags would probably shave a bit off the production cost, and it would make bulk purchases even more appealing.

OVERALL: A-

The standards for grading a beef jerky might be a bit different than your average supplement, but what are supplements but a way to complete your nutrition? In that sense, Protein Factory New Zealand Beef Jerky fits the bill very well. Sure, you can get 5+ pounds of whey for around the same money, but in my opinion this is better nutritionally, more convenient, and WAY more palatable. I have no real complaints. If you are a jerky enthusiast, and it's something you purchase on a regular basis, this is a product I wholeheartedly recommend.
  • Original: 9/10

November 21, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Purity
  • Clean Profile
  • Low Fat
  • No MSG
  • Low Carb
  • No Nitrates
  • Tastes Great
  • Needs More Flavor Options
The health and fitness industry has always been looking for those special foods and snacks to maintain or help get that certain body that they want. As time passes Science starts to show more ways of how the food we eat leads to particular outcomes, such things include: cancer, diabetes, obesity, and hypertension to name a few. Of course it isn't all about what we are really eating, but rather the extra junk that is loaded into the food ie chemicals and preservatives or just filler crap to make it look appealing (ie dyes). But fear not because over time more groups have become predominate and lead to new "food revolutions", one of which is the more recent organic food craze. Regardless what dietary choices you make, it is the choices over time in the long haul that will really affect the outcome of your health and thus you need to remain consistent in all areas. That being said, there are PLENTY of other reasons to chose Organic NON GMO etc and two of those reasons are taste + purity!

Nutrition Facts
Lets make this simple: 7g (1oz) per serving, 4 servings per bag, 80 Calories, 2.5g Fat, 470mg Sodium, 1g Carb, 15g Protein! And the best part of all is the VERY SIMPLE ingredient list! Dried Angus Beef (New Zealand), Salt, Brown Sugar, and Spice Blend! Alright folks, this is the healthiest type of Beef Jerky that I could find along with the fonder of Protein Factory! There are No Artificial Colors, Flavors, MSG, or Nitrates!

Taste/Texture/Effectiveness
When it comes to snacking I would say that it is rather important to enjoy what you are eating, but many people do claim they don't care about taste.. Either way, Protein Factory has you covered! The flavor is a tasty peppery flavor that isn't over powering over the beef taste, but it certainly is there. It is really clean and easy to tear or chew, so it isn't too dried out. These are the thinnest strips of Jerky I have ever had (think lunch meat thin), but very satisfied as you eat it. The texture is so smooth before you bite into it, but easily shred apart as you start chewing. Of course judging the effectiveness of this product is not like other supplements, but rather a point towards hitting the macronutrients you need. Yes it is effective at that with 15g of Protein per 1oz serving, which is an excellent showing on the purity of this jerky! I simply consumed this as I wanted a snack, as I was ONLY sent one 4oz bag containing 4 servings, but being you can purchase this as such or in a 7 pack we were allowed to review it based off of the one package. So in this single bag I had 60g of Protein, 10g Saturated Fat, and 4g Carb. Why typing the Fat content I actually started smiling because I have never seen any store bought jerky contain any less fat in this ENTIRE package than 1 3-4oz serving of the store product!

Protein Factory sells this directly or on Amazon for $7.99 per bag or a 7 pack for $50, which comes out to saving you $5.93 with the later. In addition to the savings purchased in higher quantity, you can receive an additional discount by completing "Social Actions" on their website with 5% 10% or Free Shipping being possible. Of course this is great but not something I can make the value rating based on, but you could potentially use the free shipping for additional purchases on the same order from Protein Factory. While researching and comparing similar "Non GMO, New Zealand Angus Beef Jerky" I found that the value on this product is far better, with comparison to the very limited options out there (3oz bags for $7, remember this comes in a 4oz bag). Of course when comparing this product to other Beef Jerky you will not see a good value, because quality and Purity is not their moto. Even checking the store prices makes you think you are getting a good quality product because they are charging just as much, but then you realize that Uncle LINKS isn't worried about what they put into their product for you!

Overall
With all these things considering, it is difficult at times to afford buying clean foods but sometimes the cost of something isn't much different from the crap that we buy and in this case it is certainly not much more expensive than the store bought jerky out there. I don't want to paint a picture that isn't me, as I am not able to buy Organic products etc and you won't see me worried about eating at certain Fast Food restaurants.. BUT I will say that Jerky is a great treat, and when the price isn't very expensive for quality then I can easily say that I will be back.. Certainly I do recommend this product, and suggest it for Christmas coming up!
  • Original: 9/10