Whey Protein Reviews

By: Propello Life

Protein > Whey Protein
Whey Protein is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Propello Life. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.
6.4

3.0
  September 16, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Hormones
  • Grass-Fed
  • Good Cause
  • Clean Profile
  • High Quality Ingredients
  • Bad Conatiner Design
  • Not Enough Servings Per Container

First I would like to thank Propello Life for sending this whey protein out for review, and the SR TROOP's program for making the connection possible. This whey protein didn't taste awesome but was efficient for getting the muscle fed for better recovery, but the price is high for this considering it's only 15 servings like the vegan protein they sell.

Okay, so I understand this is a better source of whey since it comes from grass fed cows and free of hormones and such, but it's still a whey concentrate and not more refined like an isolate, so that right there doesn't make sense to me with the pricing. Regardless you get 21g's of protein per serving at only 110 calories each serving.

Fat count is only 2g and carbs are below 3g's, so it's a good protein for both leaners and bulkers out there. The protein is also cold pressed, which I don't fully understand and won't act like I do, but in the end it's not going to make it far superior than the concentrate I find at my stores around me.

Taste from the vanilla bean was terrible. I can't even find a better word for the taste and luckily enough for me there were only 15 servings to bare with hahaha

Mixing wasn't too bad but not as smooth as a lot of the other concentrates I've used and clumping did occur.

Dosing was only once daily. Couldn't do any more than that because of taste.

Regardless of taste and price, this whey protein did what it was supposed to and kept my body recovering properly as any other protein I've taken recently. Digestion wise I did get gassy from this and some bubbly gut unlike the other proteins I've used recently. Maybe my body doesn't like these fancier and healthier products because it's not used to them? Possibly.

In the end I have to take points way from overall score for the digestion issues as well since none of the recent products I had did this. Not really much else to say about the effectiveness honestly.

$31.24 for 15 servings of whey concentrate is ridiculous. I don't care if it's organic or whatever - the price is still ridiculous. Even a lot of proteins in the whole foods markets provide more servings for a lower price each dosage. That's more than $2 each scoop and people buying this might not even notice it's only 15 scoops I'm sure. Really dropped the score big time price per serving with their protein products.

Side Effects

Some Gas

Conclusion

Overall not a bad protein powder when it comes to what any protein is supposed to do, but I think the environmentally friendly approach causing them to raise the price on this so steeply is just going to be a bad outcome unless they get them prices down. Not enough rich people these days spending money on these when they can get a whey protein with 30 servings for under $30.
  • Vanilla Bean: 3/10

June 29, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Hormones
  • Clean Profile
  • High Quality Ingredients
  • Bad Container Design
  • Low Grams Of Protein Per Serving

I'm always open to trying new protein powders and was intrigued by Propello Life's approach to a standard supplement. Their whey concentrate is derived from grass-fed cows, is hormone and antibiotic free, and is naturally flavored. Thanks to Propello for letting me run a can.

The profile of this whey is about as basic and clean as you can get. They're no additives or fat-burning complexes or an extra amino acid profile. Just 20g of whey concentrate that's naturally sweetened with Stevia. I do appreciate the simplicity here, but 20g of protein per scoop is a light dose. I typically shoot for ~30g of protein post-workout.

I requested and received the Chocolate flavor. As is expected from a product that's flavored with raw cocoa and Stevia, the taste is not as refined as other whey supplements. There's a slight bitterness due to the cocoa, and Stevia has a somewhat distinctive aftertaste in my experience. Not bad, but not a great tasting whey.

Mixability was also mediocre. This is a stubborn powder that regularly left residue in the bottom of my shaker cup. Obviously it was fine when blended, but if you're like me and usually just mix your protein with water, you'll want to throw in a blender ball to help this product out.

It's been stated in other reviews but the container design is flat out dumb. This is stored in what is essentially a paint can. You have to pry the lid off to open it up and resealing it is a pain. Why they went this route, I've no idea.

I primarily dosed one and a half scoops in the AM regardless of whether or not I worked out. This did mean that I burned through this tub really quickly, as a container only has 15 scoops.

I've referenced this before but will post again here. Petey had a great breakdown in one of his recent reviews on protein effectiveness that I want to reference as it mirrors my personal stance:

"I would strongly challenge someone to give a valid reasoning for saying that one protein is more effective than another in how much they gained from it. The minuscule differences that are noted by a user outside of a lab environment are overblown by saying a certain protein is more effective than another."

I've never prescribed to the notion that you'll only see results from using a pure, high-quality protein, and I can't honestly say I've ever noticed significant differences in muscle gain as a result of my protein supplement. That remained the case here. I was running TheWhey when Propello Life arrived so I tried a scoop or two of it and then pushed the rest of the tub back to after I finished my tub of TheWhey. I noticed no significant differences in overall results between the two products

Propello Life is not widely available. On their own site it's $33 for 15 scoops. It's only slightly less on Amazon at $31 for 15 scoops. This is simply not a viable price point in my opinion. I understand the claim that the product is high quality, but their processing methods are not new and this is still just whey concentrate. With how I dosed it, it was essentially $3.00 per dose. Insane.

Let's check out a top whey product - ON's Gold Standard. You can grab of tub of this product for .79c per scoop. The profile is solid, the company is respected, and the product profile contains some nice additives. Why anyone would pay almost 3x as much for something like Propello Life is beyond me.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall Propello Life is a very basic whey product. If the derivation method and ingredient profile are EXTREMELY important to you, then perhaps this product would be appealing. But I simply don't see why anyone would pay that price for this product. It makes no sense.
  • Chocolate: 5/10

June 15, 2017

• Grass-Fed
  • Good Cause
  • Powdery Taste

Hello everyone,

This product was taken about 1x-2x a day depending on my protein necessities. While on this product I maintained a regular strength training regimen as well as a lean-bulk diet approach. I mainly consumed this protein post-workout and in the morning upon waking up.

1 scoop provides 120 calories as well as 20 grams of protein.

Protein is essential to the body as it helps build muscle, improve recovery, and suppress appetite. When added to one's nutritional intake it came be a effective supplementation to help advance you towards your goals.

Taste: The chocolate flavor I had was decent. It definitely had the infamous protein "powder-flavor" taste that comes with most proteins, so I was unimpressed. In addition, the chocolate flavor itself tasted more fabricated and unnatural. (7/10)

Mixability: I almost always use a standard shaker cup when consuming my protein, however this protein required additional effort to break down the powder whether in water, milk, or soymilk...some residue was apparent.

Dosing: 1 scoop, 20 grams of protein

The criteria I use to test the efficacy of a product is assessing how effective the product was in providing recovery and how it contributed to my dietary needs.

Recovery: My body responds very well to protein supplementation with the exception of few, in this case this protein did provide me with the extra recuperation that my body desperately desired and allowed me to get back into the gym with 1-2 days of recovery.

Dietary Contribution: 20 of protein is a little less than what I am used to considering also how many servings are presented in the tub, I found myself consuming 1-2 scoops of protein to suffice my dietary needs.

The cheapest value of this product is presented at $33. Considering it is only 15 servings the user is looking easily at $2 per serving.

Many individuals will be quick to dismiss this product for its propensity of being on the higher end of protein pricing. However, grass-fed cows are raised in much more ethical conditions where they are refrained from tight/cage farmhouses, and the buyer trust that the animals endured no inhuman treatment.

When considering the value of this product do not overlook that this protein came from a source that had the animals life in mind, as opposed to many other cows that unfortunately endure horrific treatment.

**One cannot ascertain with completely certainty if this product did or did not come from grass-fed cows, so it is the buyers discretion to proceed and trust the company.

Side Effects

no observed side effects

Conclusion

If you are a creature-conscious protein-powder consumer, this product will appeal to you for its ethical approach in proving its whey source. Unfortunately, the user may find the taste not to be the most pleasing and at $33 for 15 servings, it will burn the wallet slightly. If you are someone who just wants a convenient protein source this may not be the best option, but if you are more considerate of where your whey source comes from, you may want to explore Propello Life further.
  • Chocolate: 7/10

Overall
Overall
5.5
  May 28, 2017

• No Artificial Flavors
  • No Artificial Colors

I'm a competing powerlifter, currently nursing a back strain. I'm still training 5 days a week, but no squats, deadlifts, or bent over rows until I'm 100%. It's slowly killing me.

We have here a whey product that is pretty darn clean. The whey comes from grass fed New Zealand cows. The product is hormone free, rBGH/rBST free, and antibiotic free. It's cold-processed with no artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. It's sweetened with stevia and the chocolate comes from West Indies Cocoa. There are added MCTs; I'm not sure of the source.

1 scoop (30g) gives you:
119 calories
2g fat (1.6g saturated)
55mg cholesterol
90mg sodium
3.5g carbs (1g fiber, 2g sugar)
20g protein (whey protein concentrate)

I requested the chocolate flavor, and that was what they sent me. Unfortunately, I had a real problem with the taste. I was prepared for some bitterness from the stevia, but this was too much. It tasted like someone dumped a scoop of Dimetapp into my Ovaltine. The taste was dreadful, and the aftertaste lingered. I had to chug every shake.

The mixability was good. I got no clumping in my shaker bottle and no residue on the sides. The texture was nice and thick which I like.

One scoop is a bit light on the protein (20g). I like to see 25g of protein per scoop, so that I'm getting enough leucine (I aim for 2.5g leucine per shake), but if you scale up the serving to 35g, you're at 23.5g protein and 140 calories, which is close to standard for a whey concentrate (24-25g protein/140 calories). You will go through the tub faster though if use a larger serving size.

Whey is whey. Provided the product meets label claims, the efficacy is pretty much the same across the board. Sure there are concentrates, isolates, hydrolyzed products, etc, but I haven't seen any evidence that paying more to use a fancier type of whey actually leads to better results. If you're lactose intolerant, of course, then paying more for an isolate would be worth it, but other than that, it's all whey.

I used this product post workout, and I didn't notice any change in recovery from any other protein powder (or a breakfast sandwich). As far as I'm concerned, the product worked as it was intended. It provided protein, which helped in my recovery, and overall, it helped me meet my macros (I aim for 1g/lb LBM/day)

This product is very expensive. One tub is $33 on Amazon, and that's only 15 servings, bringing you to $2.2/serving.

You should expect to pay more for a grass fed whey product (particularly one from New Zealand), but Life Extension also offers a grass-fed New Zealand whey product, and it is $25 for 18 servings ($1.38/serving).

Looking at some other grass fed whey products (probably not from New Zealand as they didn't say they were), Catalyst is $45 for 30 servings ($1.50/serving), and Naked Whey is $90 for 78 servings (1.15/servings).

Propello's product costs too much compared to their competition.

Side Effects

None. I'm not lactose intolerant nor do I have any food allergies, so I wouldn't expect any side effects.

Conclusion

I think it's good that there are cleaner products for those who want to avoid artificial colors, flavors, hormones, etc, but this product in my opinion, is just not worth it. It costs considerably more than other grass fed whey products, and it just tastes bad. I would not be able to recommend it.
  • West Indies Cocoa: 3/10

Overall
Overall
6.7
5.5
  May 15, 2017

• Bad Conatiner Design
  • Not Enough Servings Per Container

Thanks to Propello Life and the SR Trooper program for giving us the chance to try this Protein supplement. I was in the market to try a new protein and I saw this pop up on the trooper list. Since I never heard of the company before I did a little research and liked what I saw especially that it was protein sourced from grass fed cows. This peaked my interest and I wanted to try it.

I like the fact that this protein comes from grass fed cows. In one serving scoop you get 20g of cold processed, undenatured Whey Protein Concentrate. You also get some cocoa and chocolate flavoring. Guar Gum is used, I'm assuming as the thickening agent. Stevia is the sweetener. Not much to discuss here.

The taste was pretty darn good. I had the West Indies Cocoa flavor. It had a chocolate flavor with a hint of spicy cocoa if that makes any sense at all. It was a different flavor than I had ever tasted which I was fond of. I mixed it with water, almond milk and regular dairy milk. It tasted good in all 3. Dairy milk is my preference though. I mixed one scoop daily into 8 ounces of whichever liquid I chose for that day. It mixed fine and I did not experience any leftover residue or lumps.

I would like to have had a longer time to use this protein instead of just the 15 servings that comes in each container. Usually you get to rate a protein after 25-30 days of using it. I didn't notice this when I claimed this product but I will not let only 15 servings impact the effectiveness section. I will rate it on my experiences through those 15 servings the same as if I had 30 servings. Would something have changed on the 16th serving or 20th serving that I didn't experience with the previous 15 servings? That could be debated from various angles. On to my findings. I experienced zero stomach issues while on the run of this protein. There was no bloating, gas or stomach discomfort. I felt my body recovered in-line with most of the of the protein powders I have used in the past. I noticed recovery was good and DOMS was decreased. I was also running BCAA's during the run of this protein so recovery cannot be completely credited to this protein. I continued to make progressions in my lifts and had no setbacks. If a protein powder does not cause me stomach issues, I feel it helped me in recovery, reduced DOMS and does not cause me any setbacks and I continue to make progressions in my lifts I would say it is effective. This protein is effective.

Here is where I have a problem with this supplement. The cheapest I could find it was for $32.99 on the Propello Life website. You get only 15 servings per container which works out to $2.19 per serving. I am a person who usually doesn't complain about paying a bit more for supplements but even to me this is high price for any supplement, especially a protein powder.

Side Effects

Conclusion

As far as the protein powder itself is concerned, I believe Propello Life has a good protein product. There are a few things they need to look at to improve long term. The price needs to come way down (around $1.19 per serving) for people to even consider. The second is that 15 servings per container are not going to do it for the everyday consumer, especially those that take more than one serving daily. There needs to be more servings per container. The third and last is the container it comes in. It looks like a thinner paint can. I needed a butter knife (or screwdriver) to open the lid of the container. I did not fully shut the container since I did not want to use a butter knife to open it again. The sticker that comes across the top of the lid when removed leaves the lid very sticky. My thumb and palm stuck to this multiple times and I needed to wash my hands to remove the stickiness. I think the container design definitely looks different than almost every other container but it is not practical. Please see the picture below of the top of the container.
  • West Indies Cocoa: 8/10