Vegan Protein Reviews

By: Propello Life

Vegan Protein is a Plant Protein Powder manufactured by Propello Life. It is a common vegan-alternative to dairy and other animal based proteins. It supports lean muscle gain by supplying protein to recovering muscles and can enhance fat loss.

September 16, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Vegan
  • NON-GMO
  • Fantastic Taste
  • Digestibility
  • Immune Enhancing Benefits

First I would like to thank Propello Life for sending this vegan protein out for review, and the SR TROOP's program for making the connection possible. I've never tried a full tub of vegan protein before, but any scoops I bummed off friends definitely didn't taste good. This supplement however actually didn't taste bad, but the price was the unbearable part.

This is a vegan protein so it's not as easy to say it's either whey or casein in some variation. Instead they have to try harder by getting protein from other sources such as peas, hemp, and chia seeds. Gathering up all the vegan protein sources we come up with 16g's per serving, which honestly isn't bad for a vegan based protein.

Along with this protein they also show you get all the 9 essential amino acids we need to survive, plus 5g's of fiber from the protein sources used in this product. Total carbs is 8.5g's per serving, but remember to subtract the 5g's of fiber your body doesn't digest. The flavor for mine was dirty chocolate, which makes the extra ingredient in this raw rich dark chocolate.

Essentially you get what you need from veggies to build muscle, but only 15 servings are in this container making it hard to desire as well.

Taste isn't amazingly crazy, but better than all vegan proteins I have tried in the past. The dirty chocolate flavor was perfect for me and didn't mind not having to chug it down instantly.

Mixing wasn't bad in a shaker with a ball, but my other shaker without a ball I was left with a grainy and clumpy texture when mixed.

Dosing for me was one or two scoops per day depending what I needed to hit macro's.

I felt recovery wise this product worked just as well as dairy based protein powders. Sure it's not as much protein per serving, but you can make that up with whole food. Plus most that consume this are most likely vegan so dairy proteins are not an option for them. Muscles were never excessively sore and seemed to react nicely to the protein as if I were still taking the previous one.

Digestion wise I did get pretty gas because that's usually what happens to me with too much vegetable intake. Previously pea protein did this to me too, which is commonly put in a lot of vegan proteins. Other than this an overall decent supplement to choose from.

Okay, $40.00 for a 15 serving container of protein is just too much. Don't care if it's organic and vegetable base or whatever, I think at least 20 servings should be in this to make it $2 each scoop you take out. Plus the price should be cheaper from the container being used for this product. Paying over $2 a serving is just too much for me to say this is worth paying for. Should be $30 for the 15 servings if anything.

Side Effects

Gassy feeling

Conclusion

Overall not a bad tasting protein and the recovery process was just as effective as the whey protein's I've taken, but the price just killed it for me. Thanks again for letting me try this Propello Life.
  • Dirty Chocolate: 8/10

5.5
  June 9, 2017

• Stevia

Hello all, and thank you Propello Life for shipping out this "Vegan Protien Powder!" I look forward to seeing what else you as a company have in store for us Troopers! Anywho, this was the third vegan protein powder I've ever had. I may not have a ton of experience in this category; however, this has so far been my favorite by far.

Although I'm by no means a Vegan.. I am passionate about taking care of my body and focusing mainly on whole food meals. Since whole foods aren't always an option, this protein is a great replacement as it is still derived from nutrient dense sources. Just as a high quality whey protein is very necessary, so is a high quality vegetable based protein (if not more than whey). Let's dive in!

The ingredients within Propello Life- Spiced Vanilla are of great quality; quality you can taste..

"Spiced Vanilla's" macros are a tad different than their "Dirty Chocolate" flavor, but both are still very clean nonetheless! Both flavors use what I would consider the better alternative of natural sweeteners, Stevia (because screw Sucralose). And both flavors lack that chemical taste that often ruins a protein! So far soo good..

Spiced Vanilla Macros: 1.5g Fat, 11.5g Carbs (5g as fiber), 16g Protein.

As you can see, this truly is a vegan protein (higher carb). Since the carb content is significantly higher than whey isolate or hydroslate, Propello Life Protein may not be ideal for someone looking to be in a constant state of Ketosis. However, if you are not restricting carbs or are at least "low-carb" this can be a great asset for post workout supplementation.

Taste was great! You can usually tell something is Vegan by it's smell, taste, and texture.. But this only had the texture to weigh against it (which I believe all vegans protein users will have to continue to endure).

Mixability was on point. Although texture still is a bit gritty going down.. it mixes extremely well and is still rather smooth to drink.

The serving size for one scoop is ok, but personally, I would double up.. Enjoy the 23grams carbs & 32grams of protein rather than sacrifice any post workout recovery!

After using Propello Life's Protein for two consecutive weeks I can honestly say I had a great run and it served me well! Not only did I notice optimal recovery the day after my workouts (being less sore), but I had no stomach discomfort whatsoever... Many whey proteins use low quality ingredients and/or fillers that have no real benefits.. They just place stress upon the digestive tract, but this wasn't the case. Every ingredient in Propello's Vegan Protein has a purpose, if you don't believe me, try it! Then tell me otherwise!! For me personallt, this protein powder even aids in making me regular because of the additional 5g of fiber, and how quickly it digests..

Ok.. So after hearing all this good, surly there is some bad, right?! Well, yes.. and that is the price... On Propello Life's site "Vegan Protein" sells for 39.99.. And yes, its really $40, for only 15 servings.. That's what really ruins the value here

Side Effects

None. No discomfort, no flatulence, no nothing!

Conclusion

This stuff is the really deal for the vegan protein users. It's clean, smooth, and tastes like a dream compared to most others.. So if you're willing to dish out the cash and delve into some quality protein, this should be your go to... But, and least here you know your paying for quality.

May 31, 2017

• Immune Enhancing Benefits

Another special thanks to Propello Life for their participation here on SR.com. Today, I discuss my experiences with their vegan protein. Took me a little longer to finish this product mainly because since I only had 15 servings to work with, I wanted to include it a bit more sparingly to help it last. Nonetheless, we've all sought more natural and organic products at times for the sake of our health. Whether or not you're are a vegan or whatever your dietary practices may consist of, using a product with natural organic ingredients from time to time or as often as you can, is always a good way to give your health a helping hand. I am not a regular user of vegan based proteins, but I have used them in the past at times when i can get them on sale and I do in fact notice that many of them can have their benefits.

Propello's vegan protein consists of four plant based protein sources. They include pea, hemp, chia, and sacha ichi proteins. All of these proteins havbe their unique characteristics in terms of their nutrition.

Pea protein has a good overall complete amino acid profile and is particularly rich in lysine and arginine, which are two amino acids that are advantageous to active lifestyles. Pea protein also has a high iron content for proper hemoglobin formation.

Hemp protein is high in fiber, has good digestibility, immunity enhancing properties, and also has a favorable amino acid profile. it is also believed to have kidney protective properties. (no it won't get you high)

Chia protein has a high nutritional content, particularity rich in omega-3, iron, antioxidants, fiber and calcium.

Sacha Ichi protein is also nutrient rich in that contains omega-3-6-9 fatty acids, vitamins A and E, and fiber. It is highly digestible and has a more complete amino acid profile as well.

So you can clearly see that these particular plant based proteins are definitely health promoting.

Each serving provides 16 g of protein, 5 g of fiber, 8.5 g of carbs, 2 g of sugar, and clocks 110 calories. There is also the addition of CLA oil and the use of stevia as a sweetener. This is a real good protein choice for those who may be dieting given the carb and sugar quantity and the digestibility of the proteins themselves.

I received the spiced vanilla and liked it a lot. I mixed it in water and almond milk whenever I prepared it. It tastes great in water, but was delish in almond milk. I also tried it in coconut milk once and it was pretty good as well, though almond milk was more preferable to me.

The mixing was on par and I wasn't left with any undissolved clumps with any liquid.

Most often I took this in the morning by mixing one scoop with either water or almond milk. I didn't take it everyday, but when I did, it was in the morning about 15 minutes before breakfast.

I'm gonna base my effectiveness rating as I usually do with most protein products I review, while adding how I experienced any additional beenfits given the plant proteins qualities.

The one thing I liked about this protein was the digestibility. I never had any problems with bloating or gas that I may sometimes get from whey, and it actually helped me stay more regular thanks in part to the extra fiber.

In terms of my use for it in muscle in recovery, adding it to my routine greatly helped get in my additional protein requirements as a protein product should. The quality of the proteins was a superb natural way to get in my protein while benefiting my health at the same time. My recovery was also better and the morning DOMS or slight lethargy were significant reduced. Hemp protein is said to have anti-fatigue properties, so I think this played a major part in that.

As for the direct health benefits, I got over a mild illness I had a couple of weeks back seemingly quicker while using this product. Therefore, the immunity enhancing benefits of the proteins seems legit. I noticed a little bit more endurance with this protein so pea protein's extra iron is seemingly beneficial as well for those extra blood cells.

In all, I benefits in several areas with vegan protein.

Now this is where the product is gonna lose points. With quality and extra benefits comes a bit of a hefty price tag. Each tub contains 15 servings which is not much if you use this regularly. The price for a tub is 39.99 from their website. I wasn't able to find any other prices. This is not the best value at only 15 servings. If you were to receive a full month's supply at that price, than the value would be much improved.

Side Effects

Conclusion

While this protein is of high quality with plenty of additional health benefits, the price of the product can prove to be a deal breaker. If you are someone who prefers a more organic, natural product it is worth an occasional investment but can prove pricey on the long run. Still, Propello vegan protein is an overall great, all-natural product that delivers in several areas. Just needs to be cheaper or have a bigger container.
  • Spiced Vanilla: 8/10

6.9
  May 13, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Stevia
  • NON-GMO
  • Vegan
  • Fantastic Taste

Recently I have been looking more into naturally sweetened and organic products. I switched my multivitamin over to an organic one and was looking at other supplement areas to change. The main issue with going organic is the price. I have not tried an entire container of organic protein just samples and they were just okay. So, when Propello Life Vegan Protein came up for review I had to try it. Let us see if I will be switching my protein to an organic blend rather than whey.

Propello Life Vegan Protein has some unique protein sources. Each scoop has 110 calories, 1.5g of fat, 11.5g of carbohydrates (3.5g dietary fiber), and 16g of protein. The protein blend consists of pea protein, hemp protein, chia protein, and sacha inchi protein all being organic. I have heard of most of these except for sacha inchi. This is from a plant that grows in peru that produces these nut like seeds. The main thing with sacha inchi is that it is a complete protein, it was unique that they included it. I liked that it had a blend as I notice that most other vegan proteins focus mostly on pea protein and not use the others. I really enjoyed the ingredient profile and it was lighter on my stomach than whey.

In terms of taste, I received the spiced vanilla flavor and I thought it was fantastic. It has this light vanilla taste with a slight taste that I can't place (it was by no means bad) I guess it is the "spice" in the flavor. It is definitely something I enjoyed drinking because it felt light and refreshing. It is sweetened with stevia and you can definitely tell that it is. If you are not a fan of stevia I would probably look elsewhere. As for mixing, it mixed fine in a blender bottle with water and ice. I did attempt it with almond milk but that made it too thick. There was some residue on the inside of my bottle that washed out with water. I presume it is from the vegan protein blend. As far as dosing goes, I took one scoop each day with 8 ounces of water either in the morning or throughout the day. The one thing I will say is that towards the end it was hard to scoop out since it comes in a metal tin. Some days I took slightly more than one scoop but not by much.

In terms of the effectiveness, I felt like this was definitely effective in several areas. The first being digestion. I definitely digested this easier than whey protein blends, the key word being blends. I do not have issues with whey isolates but some bloating (and at times GI issues) with whey protein blends. This product being a vegan protein blend I had no GI issues at all. In fact, I was more regular than when I take whey protein be it isolate or a blend. I think it has to do with the increased fiber that this product has within it.

As far as effectiveness for muscle recovery, I noticed that this was on par with whey protein sources. My recovery did not decrease while taking this but it did not increase above where it usually is with other proteins. My strength did go up slightly while taking this product and if I attribute it to this product, it would probably be due to the increased carbohydrates this product has. This increase in strength was still on par with other protein sources/products.

In one way, that this surpassed other protein products was keeping me full in the mornings when I would take this. I noticed that other protein products when I take them in the morning I would be hungry about two hours later. Using this product, I would not get hungry until just about time for lunch. I attribute this to the small amount of fat and the carbohydrates. Overall, this was an effective product and definitely a unique change to whey protein.

Rating the value of this product is difficult because there are cheaper options when comparing this to whey protein. However, for this review I decided to compare this exclusively to other vegan proteins. If you want to see how this breaks down to whey protein, some of my other reviews have value breakdowns. This product retails for $39.99 for one 15 serving canister making it about $2.66 per serving. It is not widely available and the only place I could find it was direct from Propello Life. I would like to see it available at more retailers but Propello Life appears to be a new company.

Comparing the price to other popular vegan protein blends, Vega One has an essential shake that on Amazon retails for $33.29 for 18 servings, which is $1.80 per serving. This is quite a lot cheaper than Propello Life Vegan Protein. However, it does contain only pea protein and not the blend that Propello does. Vega One does have a vegan blend protein that retails for $50.00 for a 19 serving bottle making it $2.60 per serving (this one also includes a multivitamin blend). Garden of Life Sport has a vegan protein (just pea protein and not a blend) that retails for $35.75 on Amazon for 38 servings, which is about $1.80 per serving (two scoops). Propello Life Vegan Protein is definitely on the expensive side and I hope they get out to more retailers so the price goes down.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

Overall, this was an effective product that I enjoyed taking. I do wish that it were available at more retailers so that the price would be lessened. I know if I have some disposable income I will try this again because I would love to try the chocolate since vanilla was great (and I am not really a vanilla person). I definitely recommend trying this product as that taste was fantastic and it did perform well. I would like to thank Propello Life for sending the product and I hope to see your products on more retailers soon.

-Xcmiler
  • Spiced Vanilla: 9/10