ZMA Reviews

By: PrimaForce

Growth Enhancers > Nighttime Sleep Formulas
ZMA is a Nighttime Sleep Formula manufactured by PrimaForce. It is designed to be used before bed time. It promotes restful sleep, increases REM sleep and helps the body attain an optimal state for muscle recovery and growth.

Overall
(SR paid for product; PrimaForce did not participate)
  March 27, 2018

• Messed Up Dreams On Rare Occasions

Big thanks to SR.com for providing a bottle of Primaforce ZMA for me to review. I'm no stranger to ZMA as it has been a staple supplement of mine for a long time now. I haven't ever tried this particular brand until now and I wasn't disappointed with the quality of the product compared to other brands I've used in the past. There is no shortage of articles and studies conducted on ZMA but the community seems to be divided on the efficacy. Some will swear by it and others maintain it is a waste of money. Probably can't count out biodiversity as a factor but for me it just works.

So pretty much any ZMA supplement is going to have three main components. Zinc (as monomethionine and aspartate), Magnesium (as aspartate), and Vitamin B6. Primaforce ZMA contains the following amounts of each.

Serving Size - 3 Capsules (2 for women)

Amount Per Serving

Zinc - 30mg
Magnesium - 450mg
Vitamin B6 - 10.5mg

Rarely will you ever see a deviation from these amounts in a ZMA supplement.

Dosing is simple enough. For guys you're going to take 3 capsules 30-60 minutes before bed and for girls take 2 capsules. The only caveat is that you're not really going to see the full effects unless you take ZMA on an empty stomach. So if you are a night time eater then you may have to do some adjusting to your habits. I would usually take them around 8:00pm on an empty stomach and then have my bedtime snack around 9:00pm after it had a chance to absorb. By 9:30 I'm usually sleeping like a baby.

So what are the benefits to taking ZMA? Well for starters it has been shown to promote deeper and more restful sleep. Anyone who trains should be aware that proper sleep is vital to recovery. But there are other benefits to ZMA as well. Zinc and Magnesium both play vital roles in the human body. I'm not going to sit here and regurgitate a bunch of Google wisdom but I would encourage you to read up on the roles that they play.

As I already stated I see a profound difference in my sleep patterns when taking ZMA versus nights where I skip taking it for one reason or another. To me the enhanced sleep is bar none the biggest benefit to taking ZMA. I track my sleep quality with an app called "Sleep Cycle" and the quality of my sleep is consistently better with ZMA versus nothing at all. If you're anything like me your mind starts racing when you lay in bed at night and ZMA helps get me to sleep faster as well. So more sleep and better sleep is a winning combination.

Did I mention that not only is ZMA effective but it is also cheap? You can go on Amazon and get 180 capsules delivered for $16 if you're a Prime member. So $8 a month to sleep better? Sounds like a good deal to me. Cut out one meal per month where you eat at a restaurant and you have plenty left over to add ZMA to your arsenal.

Side Effects

The only downside to ZMA is you can at times have some really messed up dreams. And I do mean REALLY messed up. On rare occasions I have had dreams so disturbing and vivid that it forced me out of bed and I found myself up for the next hour or two. However this is very rare and frankly you can have nightmares taking nothing. So I'm not going to harp on a rare occurrence when 99% of the time it is highly beneficial. But figured I would put this out there as a possible side effect.

Conclusion

It's cheap and effective. What more do you really want in a supplement?

March 11, 2013

• Promotes Rem Sleep
  • Sometimes Tough To Wake

What prompted you to write this review? - I was having trouble sleeping and this product has been a life saver. When I take this I notice that I don't even wake up in the middle of the night to pee, usually. I sleep sound thru the night and wake up refreshed. I get about 7 hours sleep on average.

What other similar products have you used and how do they compare?- I have taken the Optimum Nutrition ZMA as well, and it works also. The PrimaForce is just a much better deal for TWICE the pills.

How long have you taken this product?- I have taken 2 bottles of ON ZMA and 2 bottles of PrimaForce. I can tell they both are effective, again...Primaforce is just a better value.

Were there any negative side-effects? I did notice that it was a little more difficult to get up in the morning if I was only going to get 4-5 hours sleep. So if you aren't getting 7 hours of sleep, 3 pills before bed might be too much.

Will you use it again? Why/why not?-- yes. I will use the PrimaForce version again... Also if you order "smartpowders ZMA caps" from SmartPowders.com they will send you PrimaForce. So this makes it an even BETTER value.

January 9, 2013

• Good Sleep
    I am a very light sleeper and need extra help to sleep through the night. At times I wake up at 2 or 3 am for no apparent reason and have trouble falling back asleep. I drink chamomile tea and tried valerian root, but didn't help me stay in deep sleep. It relaxed me and helped me fall asleep.

I tried ZMA the first time about 13 months ago and fell in love with it. It doesn't make me sleepy, but it helps me to stay asleep.

Waking up I do feel a bit groggy, but I take a preworkout at 5am and head off to the gym. By the time I get there I'm ready to lift hard, so grogginess isn't an issue for me.

As far as dreams go, yes, they can get creepy, jets flying over head dropping missiles, aliens breaking into my house trying to kill my family, melting objects etc. I really don't mind it. It's actually kind of fun, like being in a horror movie! LOL Anyway, I'm willing to deal with the occasional bad dream for the quality of sleep I get from ZMA.

As far as Test goes, without blood work I cannot attest to an increase. I cycle natty boosters so pin pointing anything from ZMA would be hard for me.

I paid $13 for 180 count. Great value for taking 3 pills a night. However, I do plan on cycling it, just like any other supplement, so I do not build a high tolerance to it, if that is even possible with ZMA.

If you are a light sleeper, then you will benefit from this.

September 8, 2010

• Promotes Rem Sleep
    • Promotes Natural Testosterone Production
    • From Time To Time- Caused Me To Sleep In
    • Caused Short Awakenings In The Middle Of The Night
    Wow. Talk about mixed feelings. That is exactly what I have for this one. First of all, this is the same exact product as the favorite- Optimum Nutrition ZMA, in terms of ingredients. For those of you who don't know- ZMA stands for Zinc Monomethionine Aspartate, which is essentially- Zinc, magnesium, and Vitamin B6. The larger majority of athletes tend to be deficient in these which is why you can purchase it in supplement form.

Label claims- Support hormone production, promote lean mass, Maximize restful sleep, natural and non-hormonal formula, 180 Vegetarian Capsules.

To go a little more in depth, The body has 5 stages of sleep. Stages 1-4 being listed as 1 NREM, 2 NREM, 3 NREM, and 4 NREM. (NREM= Non-Rapid Eye movement). The last one is REM (Rapid Eye Movement) which is the most active and constructive stage of sleep and occurs for about 20-25% of a night's rest. This is also the stage where dreams occur. Age can also play a role in the duration of REM. The body cycles back and forth through these 5 cycles of sleep during the night. ZMA is said to promote REM sleep.

I took this throughout the end of my summer cut with a low carb, high protein, moderate good fat diet. This product was very hard to rate.

After being recommended ZMA by so many members here, I had to try it. So i found this one which is the same thing as pretty much any other ZMA (most are identical). It is fairly cheaper than the ON brand. I started out taking 3 pills a night as recommended on the label and i was doing quite well with it for about a week. The first night still remains as the best night's rest i have ever experienced. Unfortunately, After that week, everything other people have experienced started happening to me, but in worse ways. Murder dreams, Wet dreams, majorly messed up dreams, bizarre dreams, Happy dreams, Sad Dreams...All of those and more were included in my dream experience. Yes, i said Wet dreams..blessing or a curse? LOL. The biggest problem about these were sometimes they were so extreme, i would wake up sometimes 2-4 times a night in cold sweats and it would affect my sleep negatively. I also often woke up feeling hung over or groggy. The biggest thing i hated about it was, about 1 out of 3 times i would take it, it would cause me to sleep in past my alarm and with me, that's a horrible way to start the day, behind schedule. After the first month, i decided to take the dosage down a pill and go with 2 instead of 3 before bed. It seemed to diminish the bad effects a little bit, but was still happening more often, the further i went into the cycle. I feel like you almost HAVE to be able to get 8-9 hours of sleep with this, or else it will make you. I usually get 7.

As far as the claims in natural Testosterone production, I cannot fully prove it did it's job here without blood work, But i had a bit of an increased libido and light acne every now and then which are signs of elevated test levels.

All in all, i did experience some great nights where i would wake up feeling good and ready to take on the day. But sad to say, close to half of the time, i wasn't getting the full benefits of rest. I ordered a second bottle a while ago because i like to keep stalked up on supplements, But i am not sure rather to open it and proCEEd into taking this again. I'm sure i will since i already have it. I give it a maybe, but I DO recommend this particular brand for anyone who has greater results with ZMA since it is identical to and cheaper than the ON brand.