Pure ALA Reviews

By: PrimaForce

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA
Pure ALA is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by PrimaForce. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Overall
Overall
6.7
(SR paid for product; PrimaForce did not participate)

Pros:
 Cons:

This was an SR purchased product: thanks to SR for the opportunity to review it. I workout 5x per week, all high reps (20x) and supersets with minimal rest. I also do 4x30min cardio per week after workouts, and core on two days. I have been working out continuously for the past 36 years. Diet is pretty clean with 4-5 small meals/day.

This is a simple product composing of 300mg alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) supplied in powdered for in a gelcap. Primaforce states that ALA decreases fat storage, maximizes muscle fullness and is a potent antioxidant. Looking on Examine.com the evidence to support fat loss is inconclusive: all studies used obese subjects. One reported an 8% fat loss (starting from 40-50% BF) which another found no fat loss with 800mg over 6 months.

Recommended dose is 3 caps/day (300mg/cap). I actually took 4 caps/day since I am over 200lb and I thought I would go to 4/day. I spaced them through the day, 1 cap at a time. The product is packaged In small gelcaps, so no taste. There are 180 caps in the tub, so 2 months supply at the recommended dose.

I must point out here that I ran this alongside Dermacrine and I did experience significant (I thought it was significant - 8.7% down to 8.0-8.2%) fat loss during the run. However what I think happened is that the Dermacrine kicked my metabolism up a notch, and I have managed to keep the BF from coming back for now. I did continue taking ALA for 2 weeks afterwards, and then observed my BF for 2 weeks after finishing the ALA, and my BF has stayed consistent at 8.0-8.2%. Therefore I dont think ALA had any impact on BF.

I was expecting the PH in Dermacrine to build muscle, not burn fat. It didn't build any muscle (neither did ALA, as it was claimed to do). In hindsight I should have run these two products separately. Apologies for that.

Pure ALA is not expensive: I found it for $21.50 with free shipping (non-prime) on Amazon. that $10/month at 3 caps/day

Side Effects

None. Plus its not a stimulant so no jitteriness (which is a good thing). I will note that it is toxic at high levels, so make sure to space out your doses though the day, just to be sure.

Conclusion

I dont believe Pure ALA is effective at burning fat, but I cant say for sure, hence the Meh grade instead of a No grade. The fact that I took a 2 week break and then finished off the tub with now apparent change in BF supports that in my view. That said, its cheap enough to be worth a try if you are looking for an alternative to thermogenics.

• kaka
      March 27, 2018

"Meh" recommendation and the rating is not proportional to what you said about it.

• DLP1

How so?

• kaka
      March 27, 2018

"I did continue taking ALA for 2 weeks afterwards, and then observed my BF for 2 weeks after finishing the ALA, and my BF has stayed consistent at 8.0-8.2%. Therefore I dont think ALA had any impact on BF."

• DLP1
      March 27, 2018

Thats correct, although i did lose BF while on ALA for the first month - I started out at 8.7%. So I cant say for sure it didn't work. I think it didn't work (because I think the Dermacrine caused the BF loss), but without running it again on its own I cant be sure. therefore I cant justify saying it categorically didn't work. ;-)