Whey-Pro 5 Reviews

By: PNP Supplements

Protein > Whey Protein
Whey-Pro 5 is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by PNP Supplements. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

October 21, 2015

• Additional Ingredients
  • GI Benefit
  • Label Inconsistent With Website
Hello again, SR! Up for review this time is PNP Supplements' Whey-Pro 5, an "advanced blend of whey proteins and colostrum." I've never used a product with colostrum before, so I was interested to see if there would be any perceivable difference between this product and any other protein supplement I've used in the past. Before I get started, thank you PNP for participating in TROOPs. You're providing a great benefit to the supplement community by offering your products for review. Here we go

INGREDIENTS: 7.5

At first glance, this looks like a pretty good profile. It contains three varieties of whey protein, colostrum, an enzyme blend, and some micronutrients. Upon closer inspection, however, there are a few things that make me scratch my head. First, the whey proteins are listed as combinations, e.g. "whey protein concentrate/hydroslate." How can it be both concentrated and hydrolyzed? Also, is it hydroslate or hydrolysate? I've seen it spelled the latter way countless times, but not the former. Actually on their website, they spell it hydrolysate, so what gives? There's also "whey protein isolate/hydroslate." Same issue, what does that mean? What's the purpose of separating it into these two categories if it's just a big ol' blend of all three varieties?

Also, regarding the colostrum what kind of colostrum is it? The website says bovine, but the label doesn't, so for all I know this could be from a goat, or a buffalo, or a human. I don't want to have to go looking around online to know for sure what the ingredients are. Also, on the ingredient list, colostrum is included in the parenthetical explanation of "protein." So does that mean the colostrum is counted toward the total amount of protein per scoop? Do we have a case of "colostrum spiking?"

Then, regarding the enzymes, I can certainly understand the inclusion of protease. That's cool, it'll help make sure you're digesting and absorbing as much protein as possible, probably more than if you slammed a shake without any enzymes. But why the lactase? Lactase breaks down milk sugar (lactose), not proteins. So maybe they're trying to market this to people who are lactose-intolerant, but that draw isn't written anywhere on the label or advertised online that I can see. I think a better inclusion would have been bromelain, or some other kind of proteolytic enzyme, which would benefit most of the population a lot more than lactase.

In any event, you get 20g of protein (assuming it is all protein) per 26g scoop, which is just a hair south of 77% protein. That isn't bad at all, but it's not the best I've seen either. One of the big claims of this product is that the three varieties of whey give you a much longer digestion curve, so you get a more steady stream of nutrition, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better just to stick with a whey blend, then casein or egg protein for something slower. Even with whey concentrate, you're still looking at a relatively quick-digesting product.

Basically, there are some good ideas here and plenty of science on the label and on the website to back it up, which is more than a lot of companies do. But a lot of it seems a little too approximated for my taste.

NOTE: The label on their website is different from the one on the tub I received, so maybe they've improved on some of these things already? Hopefully the image uploading works so you can all see what I'm talking about.

TASTE/MIXABILITY: 8.5

I got the Banana Crme flavor, which was definitely pretty tasty and never got old. It's certainly more palatable, in my opinion, than your standard vanilla or chocolate whey. The lack of any real bitterness makes me think there isn't much hydrolyzed whey in here, though. Mixing was always quick and easy, especially in water. I used milk a few times and that's always a bit clumpier. I used one scoop only, so I can't speak to the 2 scoop experience. The consistency also makes me think there isn't much hydrolysate, as the thickness and stickiness is much more characteristic of a pure concentrate, whereas hydrolysate is much finer.

If you follow the recommended dosing protocol, you'll have this stuff oozing out of your ears. For "best results," you'd be taking 4 scoops at least, and 7 at most. So don't follow the recommended dosing protocol. If you need 7 scoops of protein per day, you need to eat more whole food.

EFFECTIVENESS: 8

In as much as this is a protein supplement, it works. It helped me meet my daily intake goals in a convenient and tasty way. As far as the extras go, it's hard to say. Colostrum is supposed to have a lot of benefits, including increased recovery, immune support, and GI support, and of course the enzymes are supposed to make protein digestion more efficient.

I didn't really see any increase in recovery, to be honest. Maybe there isn't enough colostrum to make a difference there. I had some pretty lengthy recovery times from difficult workouts, as expected, so everything seemed consistent with the norm. I also didn't experience an increase in immune function. Did I get sick? No. Do I often get sick? No. Maybe it's not a true test in my case, and someone with a weakened immune system would see a lot more benefit.

I do, however, think this helped my GI regularity. I did not experience any deviations from a regular schedule, even when I got back into lifting regularly after my daughter was born, and started eating a lot more food. Rather than getting constipated and bloated, I was just going more frequently, always the same amount and same consistency. Dependability in this area is always a plus.

Bottom line, I think most of us get enough good food, and take our vitamins, so the recovery and immune support won't be much of a draw. But if you're looking for a protein that's easy on the stomach, this might be the one you want.

VALUE: 5

Here is where this takes a huge hit for me. I can put up with all of the label idiosyncrasies to an extent, but this stuff falls way behind when it comes to cost. I haven't seen it anywhere for less than $50, usually around $53-$55 for a 30 serving tub. That's nearly $2/serving, or almost twice what I see as the average ~$1/serving, give or take. For the marginal benefit of the extra ingredients, this extra cost seems far too high. When I can get a high quality protein, at 2-3 times the servings, for the same price, I'll choose that alternative every time.

OVERALL: 7

I want to like this stuff, I really do. It's a great idea for a product that could offer a lot of benefit, but the price gives me pause. Unless you're lactose-intolerant, or you've responded extremely well to colostrum in the past, I would give this a hard pass. You're better off sticking with whatever protein you have, and just getting some enzymes on the side if you need them.

Thanks for reading everyone, thanks again PNP, and happy lifting!

9.2
  September 8, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Multiple Uses
  • Good Tasting
  • Great Profile
  • A Bit Overpriced
Good evening SR, up for review today is PNP Supplements Whey Pro-5 (WP5 for short). WP5 boasts great overall profile with quality ingredients packed with a great taste. Thanks for the reps for participating in the Expert Reviewer Program.

Ingredients 9.5: This is an amazing profile, one of the more solid blends I have seen in awhile. You get whey concentrate, isolate and hydrolysate. 20 grams in total of protein with an added boost of colostrum. The amount of colostrum appears to be dosed at 2.8G, however this is me doing some math with the label. I do not want to get into the benefits of colostrum, as it has been discussed at length on the boards and in other popular little red tub products that most have tried. It is a quality ingredient that I am happy to see included.

This is a very clean protein with 1G of fat, very low carbs and minimal cholesterol. I judge there isn't must concentrate in the blend given the 15MG of cholesterol in each serving size.

Overall, a great product with limited fillers!

Dosing: One scoop will deliver the serving of ingredients. 30 total servings. Nice a protein with 30 servings rather than the usual 24. But you only get 20G of protein per scoop, so it all is a wash basically.

Effectiveness 9.2: Ahhh the effectiveness First lets hammer the digestion/settling. The inclusion of both protease and lactase both aid in digestion and absorption. I had no discomfort with this protein and no side effects. However, in the interest of full disclosure I typically do not have any digestion issues with anything other than Casein. Overall a solid digesting protein.

In terms of effectiveness, I honestly can't judge just by a single tub if the added colostrum provided any extra effects, as I only got 20+ days from the product. I understand the benefits of the ingredient, but can't say it was a magic ingredient. However, what you get here is a solid protein blend using high quality ingredients with extra goodies. Grade A stuff and I do believe that if used regularly the colostrum would see a benefit over time.

Taste 10: I am not much for taste, but this stuff was GREAT! Banana Creame! Good lord, in almond of coconut milk it was delicious. Even in water it was great!

Value 7.2: This is where the product loses a bit of its luster. First the price of 54 dollars online for 30 servings is high. I know it has colostrum in it, but again we do not know the actual dosage or if that dosage it at an effective amount. I would like to see this in the 40 dollar a tub price range as it would be more fair and market value.

Conclusion 8.6: As stated, this is a high quality protein with great ingredients plus the extra inclusion of colostrum. It tastes great, provides top tier recovery as proteins go and is a solid choice. The price however will deter some people, but it is worth to examine none the less. Bladeski seal of approval!

Overall
Overall
5.5
5.5
3.0
  September 7, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Multiple Uses
  • Good Tasting
  • Could Have Less Flavoring
When it comes to trying new protein powders I am usually not to picky and saw this was up for grabs and decided to give it a try. I was in the need of more protein and thought it looked like a decent product. I want to thank Jerry at PNP Supplements for letting us Troopers have the chance to try this protein.

Ingredients:
Below you will see that I posted a pic of the ingredient profile. This is more of a blended protein. I do and do not always like blended proteins. It just depends on when you plain on using this. It would be kind of nice if they told you what the ratio is of each protein you are getting in here instead of having it all listed in one prop blend. If I was to guess I would say this is mainly made up of mostly concentrate protein since that is the cheapest to make. This is gluten free for those of you looking for that. At one scoop I would like to see the protein upped a little to around 25 at least instead of 20. I think 20g is a little on the low side.

Value:
Right now the only two places you can get this at is Amazon and PNP Supplement website. on Amazon this will run you $55.62 (right now after I checked) for 30 servings which I think is really high for a protein like this. I feel this should be around $30 at most for 30 servings and no more than that. It says on the label you should be using this at least 2-3 times per day to get up to 1g of protein per day. If I was taking this 3 times a day this would only last me around 10 servings and at the price they want for this is just crazy.

Taste:
This comes in one flavor only banana cream. Unless your a fan of banana cream and like that flavor you probably won't enjoy this to much. I feel it has a nice banana cream taste to it. I think they could maybe tone down the taste a little but I still found it to be enjoyable to drink. The one problem I had with this flavor is that later on I kept burping this up a little and tasting it over and over again which I did not like. Because of that makes me think they use some really cheap ingredients in here on flavor which I don't like. This would be nice to have in some other flavors besides just banana cream which I know a lot of people don't care for to much.

Mixing/Dosing:
At times this did not always mix very well for me. The powder for this is very fluffy like and when mixed did not always fully mix up. There were times I noticed there would still be little pieces of this that would not fully mix up and could notice them when I drank it. I always seemed to have to keep shaking this up each time I took a drink of this if I wanted everything to fully mix. I just used one scoop per day. Like I said above the one big draw back to this is that it only has 20g per scoop. Towards the end of the container I started to do around a scoop and a half just to get a few more grams of protein per serving it was lacking.

This for me was hit and miss. The overall digestion part of this for the most part was pretty decent. No real gut issues with this or digestion problems. It does have some digestive enzymes in here to help with that and I think they did help some. I think this lacked a bit at helping me increase more muscular mass and gains which I am always looking to improve. My recovery at times from this was just so so. I tried to up my intake of this a little more on days I really upped my workouts (like legs for example) to see how well it would help me recover. It helped some but nothing like I have gotten with other proteins that are more just whey instead of being more of a blended protein. I think if I was using this mainly in the morning or before bed it would be a lot better instead of always using it right away after my workouts. If I am going to use protein right away after my workouts I prefer it to be less concentrated and more isolate and hydroslate because I feel it gets absorb quicker in your body. I did notice that after taking this it made me feel more full and would not want to eat anything for awhile after taking it. That was good if I knew I would not be able to eat right away after my workouts.

Side Effects:
Nothing really expect I would always keep tasting this later on after I drank it and did not like that part of it at all.

Overall:
This was an ok product for me. It did help with some things but then again it lacked in other areas. For the price they want for this and the amount of servings they want you to take each day I think this is just way to expensive for me and because of that I don't plan on getting this again. If your looking for a morning or late night protein before bed I feel this would work great for that. If you want a good protein for right away after your workouts I would not recommend this but it would still work but feel there are better options out there. Unless you can find a really good deal on this then maybe give it a try but at the price they want now is just way to high for this and feel it's not worth it. If they would lower the price of this a lot and add some more flavors then I might consider trying this again but until then I am going to pass on it.
  • Banana Cream: 7/10

June 18, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Tasted Like A Laffy Taffy
  • Multiple Uses
  • Could Have Less Flavoring
  • The Actual Label Was Annoying

I am always looking to try new protein powders, and THANK you Precision Nutrition Plus for letting me try this through the ER program! I continued to use all my other protein powders and supplement staples while adding this protein blend into the mix. I received the Banane Creme flavor "Whey-Pro 5" and tried this whenever I have used whey powders in my everyday routine (ie first thing with breakfast, pre/post workout, and with or between meals in the first 2/3rds of my day). No changes were made with my regular lifting routine, which tends to be a constant lean-bulk.

I did a little googling and found that this company is relatively new (started in 2009, first came out with a product in 2010), and tote themselves in manufacturing "in a drug and steroid free facility that is a cGMP facility." I am always skeptical of newer companies and my few minutes of googling was futile in figuring out who owns/created the company, which has no effect on how I rate the product, but would be interesting to know. They also state that they are a company prided themselves in NOT spiking their product...

That link takes you the the PNP website where you can see the entire label. I will point out I had a 780g (26 grams per serving), making it a 30 serving tub.
Each serving gave you 100 calories: 1g fat/ 1g carb(2g sugar)/ 20g protein.

Their 22,800mg 'PNP growth matrix' is made up of:
-whey/colosutrum: whey protein concentrate, isolate, hydroslate, colostrum
-digestive enzymes: protease, lactase

Other ingredients are your run of the mill additives, sucralose and natural/artificial flavorings.

So, you don't really know exactly what the ratio of of all of these blends, which I would really like to know. On the label, the whey concentrate is listed first, so I assumed that this was the primary source of protein; If my broscience serves me correct, it most likely is MOSTLY concentrate, as that tends to be a cheeper form of whey and would also make the company more money for creating their blend in such a way. Knowing that, I tended to want to use this either first thing in the morning, or with and between early day meals. I like my pre and post whey to be less concentrate and more of an isolate or hydroslate, because I find it is just a bit easier for me to digest and I want to think that it is "getting to my muscles faster." (Is it really? ...not sure, but I like to think so)

The label itself is a plastic wrap that goes around a plain plastic tub, and is not printed on the tub itself. When I opened the bottle, the label wasn't very snug and wanted to slide around the tub; it reminded me of a botched "shrinky dink" wrap you'd boil onto Easter eggs as a kid. This was just a slight nuisance (in comparison to a label printed right onto the tub), as I continually had to slide this this back up and onto the tub.

Taste of this was very similar to that of a banana Laffy Taffy. At one scoop I found it to be quite powerful, so I had a hard time increasing it much past 1.25 scoops (which is a bit of a downfall for it being only 20grams of protein/serving). The taste wasn't bad at all in my opinion, but it just overpowered any and everything else I mixed it with when I tried to increase it past that 1 scoop mark.

Mixability was very similar to any other whey blend I have tried. It was not quickly dissolved as pure hydroslate would be, and needed either mixing/stirring (which did leave some residue that needed to be rinsed or washed away), or blended in a blender (this method was the best). There is no settling or major clumping.

Dosing was very simple. The scooper was easy to get into the tub and the tub itself was wide enough to reach all the way to the bottom. I would either scoop this out or just use a scale to weigh it out, which is my preferred method. One scoop did weigh out to 26 grams on my scale so it was easier for me to just spoon out what I needed versus using the provided scooper.

This was a bit hard to assess, as I cannot say that this product increased my muscular mass/gains in the gym by any means. What I mainly utilized this for was a protein supplement to increase my overall daily macronutrient levels of protein and it helped me to succeed in that 100%. The blend made this a nice way to either use first thing in the morning or a little later and I liked that about this blend.

The colostrum really didn't seem to make a huge difference that I could tell in any way. The label states that it improves gut health, improving immune function; I didn't get ill while using this, but am not sure I would make the bold statement that it was greatly because of me using this protein blend.

I did not notice that this gave me any major issues with digestion, but on the contrary, it did not improve my gut health in any way with the use of their digestive enzymes.

This can be found (30 servings) for $50 on Amazon, $52.83 on the manufacturer' website. So around $50 for 30 servings.
The label also suggests users use 2-3 times daily to get up to 1gram protein per pound of bodyweight, so this would likely last that user no more than 2 weeks.
At this price I find this to be much too expensive for my liking and would not purchase this unless it were severely discounted or some type of BOGO deal.

Side Effects

No side effects that I noticed.

Conclusion

I liked how this product tasted, but wished they'd back off a bit on that flavoring so I could have used more at once. I think it is over-priced in comparison to it's competitors, but I liked using it. It was nice to switch up what I am used to using and I liked the blend first thing in the morning. If you like banana Laffy Taffy, you'd really like this!