Cardio Surge Energy Reviews

By: PNP Supplements

Cardio Surge Energy is an Energy Supplement manufactured by PNP Supplements. It is designed to improve mental focus and energy.

Overall
Overall
Thanks to PNP Supplements for sending it out!
  September 9, 2015

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Increased VO2 Max
Today I will be reviewing PNP's product Cardio Surge Energy, their take on a stim-free energy/endurance product aimed at increasing effectiveness during cardio exercise. As per the blurb when this product was put up for TROOPs logging, it is intended for people expecting to do at least 30 minutes of cardio. I would like to thank Jerry for being really approachable and making this product available for logging. When I first saw this product I thought it was something different, something interesting, and potentially, something beneficial for outside the gym.

CARDIO PROGRAM

My weekly cardio consists of 2x mountain biking sessions at the local national park. Normally I go for at least 60 minutes, usually closer to 90, and sometimes more. I also tried Cardio Surge during one of my faster-paced gym workouts, to see how it compared in that scenario.

INGREDIENT PROFILE - 8/10

It's becoming a standard thing, but PNP have excellent justification on their website for why they chose the ingredients they did for their products, and Cardio Surge is no exception. I really like this profile for what it's aimed at. The ingredients chosen have been selected based on actual proper research, which makes it a lot easier to decide if they might actually work. Props to PNP for this. On the downside, prop blend is an auto -1 from my scores, so it would have been 9/10 if not for the prop blends.

DOSAGE

I weigh 210lbs, I decided to start dosing at 3 pills 1 hour prior to cardio. I upped that to 4 pills and didnt notice too much of a difference. To be honest I wish I had started at 2 pills, as I noticed some positive effects at 3 pills, which didnt increase much going to 4 pills, so it would have been interesting to see how 2 pills would have affected me purely from a value point of view. I like the dosing profile increasing with your weight, but at the end of the day if I dont see any effects I play around with the dosing until I do see something, but it was a good starting point.

For my gym workouts, when I took Cardio Surge I didnt take any other supplement. For my mountain biking sessions I would have a bottle of powerade and water that I would drink as required, but no other supplements.

TASTE - N/A

They are pills, they dont taste like anything. No nasty burps or anything like that after taking them.

EFFECTIVENESS - OVERALL 8/10

I will break this down into the claims on PNP's website, then give an overall value:

Oxygen Utilisation (VO2 max) - 9.5/10 - This is where I really saw Cardio Surge affect me. Even at 3 pills I felt like I had much more oxygen available in my lungs. I also felt my recovery breathing-wise was quicker, and I was able to 'go again' with less rest than normal. To be honest i've never had a supplement do this to this extent before. I dont have VO2 max data to go on, but I am very confident it would have increased. My lap times on the course indicate this, as did my km/hour data and the fact I took less and shorter rests.

Fat Metabolisation - 5/10 - Didnt notice much here. I didnt really notice more available energy than normal. I did notice that afterwards I would feel more spent than usual, but I attribute that to the VO2 max increase and pushing myself harder.

Oxygen & Nutrient Transport - 8.5/10 - As for the VO2 max, I felt this increased. I also felt like during my cardio I had more energy available to me should I chose to use it, as represented by how spent I felt once i'd finished.

Lactic Acid Buffer - 5/10 - OK this was the killer for me. Personally, I dont think Cardio Surge did anything to help buffer lactic acid. Which, when combined with the increase VO2 max meant I actually had more lactic acid and my legs would burn hard. So Cardio Surge didnt make the lactic acid worse, but the improvements in VO2 max meant I could build up more lactic acid, which was really painful (in a good, cardio sort of way). This is not a bad thing, maybe I need to harden up a bit, but for me Cardio Surge was not a benefit here.

Muscle Contraction - 7.5/10 - Didnt really notice much here, but when I needed to recruit fibres to push harder up hills I was able to. Not significantly more than without Cardio Surge.

Digestion Support - 7.5/10 - Didnt see much here either. Didnt feel bloated or like I need to run off into the bush for a borry, so i'd say 50/50 no bad side effects.

SIDE EFFECTS - 10/10 - None to note.

VALUE - 6/10

Once again, this seems to be where most PNP products fall down. Yes the ingredient profile is solid, yes it is effective, but honestly, this is available on their website for $46.53 + shipping, for 90 caps which for me would be 30odd workouts. Is that good value? For something that aids your cardio a little bit? Probably not. Then I asked myself the question, what is a good price for this? That's a tough question. Considering I do cardio as a by-product of my weight training, to keep lean and for some enjoyment/thrills, I probably wouldnt shell out more than $1/session on a supplement for it.

CONCLUSION - 7/10

Cardio Surge is a solid cardio product that improved my VO2 max at a noticeable level. The by-product of that is that my lactic acid increased, something the buffering products in Cardio Surge could not counteract. For a solid state cardio session I felt this product was just OK, it really shines when you push hard, rest, then push hard again. For that reason I would absolutely recommend people try this if they are doing some HIIT style training, as I think it would be beneficial in that scenario. The value of this product could also be improved as I cant see myself dishing out >$1/serving for a product that only helps my cardio.