Defcon 1 Reviews

By: Platinum Labs

Defcon 1 is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Platinum Labs. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

Overall
Overall
6.1
  September 29, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Solid Profile
  • No Proprietary Blend
  • No Focus Effect Experienced
  • Advertised Effects Not Present At Recommended Dose

Hello there! I am Tram, a graduate student in progress to earn my Doctorate degree in Chiropractic. I am also a fitness and health enthusiast striving to be the best version of myself each and everyday. The start of chiropractic school marked the beginning of my fitness journey and I have not stopped since!

The open ingredient label was the first feature I noticed because it is what I value on a pre-workout label. I want to see the honesty of the company to disclose the amounts of each and every ingredient they use in the pre-workout so I know what I am putting into my body. The one thing I did not like on the ingredient label is that L-Citrulline is significantly underdosed at 0.5 grams. I would like to at least 5 grams per serving of L-Citrulline. There is a good amount of Beta-Alanine with 2 grams per scoop. Creatine is one of the essential pre-workout ingredients to provide explosive strength in energy-intensive sets and reps. Platinum Labs Defcon 1 contains only 0.75 grams of creatine when 5 grams is the optimal amount for its effectiveness. In the other hand, I did like that Platinum Labs used Beet Juice Powder for color instead of Red 35. No pre-workout user really knows what Red 35 entails but at least can look up what Beet Juice Powder is and know the basics of it. The caffeine amount in Defcon1 is tolerable for me and does not keep me at buzzing hours after my workout has been completed.

The Watermelon taste does taste like watermelon and not cough syrup like other watermelon flavored pre-workouts I have tried. It was easy to mix with water in a shaker bottle with no residue at the bottom of the shaker and no foam at the top of the mixed pre-workout. The scoop size was a bit small compared to other pre-workout scoops.

The first week, Defcon1 gave me the energy, focus and pumps needed to push through my workouts. even on the rough days. The next three weeks, all three factors started to plateau. From the lack of properly dosed citrulline to provide the pumps and lack of properly dosed creatine to provide strength, the pumps were gone, the energy was lacking and I had to really rely on my own mental state and music to supply all the focus to finish my workouts. I was dragging my feet during strength and conditioning when I needed the strength and pumps the most to get through the heavy cable workout sets and during leg workouts. I did try cycling off of the pre-workout once I noticed the plateau effect. Once I resumed, the energy, focus and pumps were short lived once again. It felt like I was just drinking caffeinated kool-aid with ineffective ingredients in it.

At around $40 for 30 servings and the lack of results in Platinum Labs Defcon1, it is on the expensive side in comparison to other pre-workouts in the market.

Side Effects

There were no side effects for me during the duration of taking Defcon1.

Conclusion

I would not recommend Platinum Labs Defcon1 due to the significantly underdosed Citrulline and Creatine ingredients which did not help me improve my performance in the gym.
  • Watermelon: 9/10

September 19, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Proprietary Blend
  • Increased Focus
  • Little Bit Expensive

Good day fit fam! I'm here with another review of a solid product that I received for participating in the SR TROOP program. I couldn't be happier being apart of this program because it gives people like me the opportunity to try products that, otherwise, I may not have ever heard of. You guys ROCK! I am currently trying to put on weight/mass so I'm working out 5 days a week and lifting heavy weight for a few reps so, for me, preworkouts are must.

NO PROP BLEND!!! I love that. If you have read any of my previous posts you can see that I love the ingredients listed individually. I have learned over the last few years that some companies just throw a little bit of everything into a prop blend and dose it with a ton of caffeine and call it good. Platinum Labs didn't do this and I thank them for that. This way you can tell exactly what and how much of it you are putting into your body so you can tell what you might need to add to make it what you want. That being said, ingredients like L-Citrulline, theobromine ,and the betaine anhydrous aren't dosed anywhere near where they need to be so if you like those things in your preworkout you might have to add some of those yourself to this in order to get it where you want it. The caffeine amount in this is perfect for someone who doesn't need a lot of stimulants to get them going. 180mg's is perfect for most people.

Tigers Blood.... Not bad at all. Actually one of the better tasting poreworkouts I've had. I enjoyed drinking this one. A lot of times preworkouts are to grainy, or just don't taste well. Not the case here.

Mixes well. No clumping. Wasn't really grainy at the bottom of the drink like a lot of preworkouts I've had in the past.

Dosing this is pretty easy 1 scoop to start... If you don't feel much you can always go 1.5 -2 scoops with this product. I didn't go past 1.5 scoops but you can if you are not stim sensitive.

For me it was an ok preworkout with 1 scoop. It was a solid preworkout at 1.5 scoops. Didn't notice much of a pump but I didn't expect to either once I saw the ingredient profile. The beta alanine was present with one scoop but very light. When I went to 1.5 scoops I could definitely feel the beta alanine and the energy rush from the caffeine. I needed about 20 minutes after the last sip but at that time I could tell the focus and the energy was there.

If you look at tfsupplements.com you can get this for $29.99. That's pretty much a $1 a serving. That's the cheapest place I found it. Everyone else wants $35-$40 for 30 servings. At the TF price I can recommend it. Anything above $29.99 and I think you have to look at the other preworkouts on the market today.

Side Effects

Didn't have any side effects that I could tell. Digested easily and didn't have a crash afterwards like a lot of preworkouts out there.

Conclusion

Overall, I am right at a 6.5. DEFCON 1 is definitely a must try for a beginner I think. However, the more experienced preworkout drinker might find it missing that "kick" that they need. If the upped the dosage to certain ingredients to where you are getting a clinical dose of them I think I could raise it to a 7.5-8. Just one man's opinion... Thanks so much to Platinum Labs. I really appreciate companies like you taking part in the TROOP program.
  • Tigers Blood: 9/10

September 3, 2016

• Great Focus
  • Sweating
  • Expensive If Double Dosed
First off thanks to Platinum labs for letting some of us here try a multitude of things they put out. I had heard about this one and was wanting to give it a go for a while before the opportunity came along.

Profile 6-7
It is not a terrible go at it, but it seems most of the brands anymore think that if I just put some of this or that in it, it will work.
But the fact is , if you do not have a proven clinical dose of what ever you are adding, you are simply wasting your time and ours.
like the L-Citrulline, theobromine ,and the betaine anhydrous are all horribly under dosed. The caffeine is okay at 180 mg. I think this is not bad. It is enough to get you a push but not make you so nervous and jittery. Some others are starting this crazy trend of putting way way too much caffeine in them, glad to see this not like that.
All together this could be a good profile but they are just simply cutting themselves short on some things in this.

Taste 4
Well let just say I was really really wanting to try the tigers blood, I love that flavor and I wanted to try their version of it.
Instead I got red cream soda, Now normally I am not too bitchy about the taste but please go smack the person that picked this flavor. I freaking hated it.
The smell was awful, the taste was just something I am not sure on how to describe. It was like too weak in one way but then the powerful nasty taste would soon take over. I just never got used it. Down to the last scoop.

Mixing 8
I did have some foaming and some settling but not too much to whine about.

Effectiveness 7
Now as far as energy, not bad. It would get me going after a long day at work. I would sweat pretty good off this too. I did use two scoops a few times and the sweating and body heat did increase . Pumps was pretty normal for my workout routines . I never had a crash which is nice too. I did not have trouble sleeping later on that night either which is a plus also. I feel this is a really solid pick for someone this is new to preworkouts and wanting to try and get that extra push. I also I had some good focus from this too. I feel that having just the right amount of caffeine helps with this too. Too many and I am way to energized to stay focused.
Now although I did not have a crash per say, this did seem to fizzle out a bit quicker than others, not completely but the first kick in the pants would wear off within 30 mins. Thankfully by then I was pushing such a good workout I was focused on finishing strong.

Value 7 -8
Depending on whether you use one or two scoops the value will obviously be lower or higher, but if you are new and can find this for around 30 bucks I would say yes, good deal but with me taking 2 scoops to really get something for me I will most likely look elsewhere. I feel over 35 bucks is bit too much to pay for me though.

Overall 7
Not a terrible preworkout, but it could be much much better. If all the ingredients was at clinical doses and at this price, it would be a top pick. But until then it will be just average for me.
  • Red Cream Soda: 3/10

August 26, 2016

• Under-dosed Ingredients

Huge thank you to SR and Platinum Labs for giving me the opportunity to try Defcon 1 Second Strike. I ran this product over the course of 4 weeks taking it 2-3 times a week, I did not use any other pre workouts. I have heard good stuff about it from friends in the gym so I was excited to give it a go!

First off I'd like to point out the full disclosure label that Platinum Labs provides with Defcon 1. I really enjoyed seeing theobromine, synephrine and betaine in the mix, which are all decent ingredients in PWO along with the standard caffeine, beta alanine and taurine. However many of the dosages for the ingredients render them useless for PWO qualities. With L-Citrulline at 500mg (standard dose 4-8g), theobromine at 100mg ( about 1/5th of what I would take) and betaine anhydrous at miserly 50mg (750mg - 2g is regular dosage). I would much rather have the standard dosage of just one of those ingredients than a little bit of everything , Defcon 1 tries to be a jack of all traits but as usual is master of none.

I did enjoy caffeine at 180mg, it's a good dosage in sense that people who have low tolerance can take it without being jittery and stimheads could doublescoop for desired effect.

I had the Tigers Blood flavor which I loved, tastes like watermelon/strawberry/coconut mix, I don't know how many endangered tigers died for my pwo but their death was totally worth it!
There were no problems with mixability, nothing floating or foaming.
I started with one scoop, but quickly doubled my dosage which seem to have at least some sort of effect on me.

At standard 1 scoop, I felt nothing. I mean there was no difference between my PWO free workouts and the ones when I took Defcon 1. After bumping up to 2 scoops, I did feel an energy boost and certainly felt the beta-alanine tingles. I would not say my endurance and strength increased in any manner as the weight I lifted did not change, nor did the rep range. As far as effectiveness goes, at 2 scoops I felt a very slight improvement to my workouts. I could see how this product could be good for a beginner however, but it is def not for someone who has experience with stims under their belt.

The lowest I found Defcon 1 was for 27.99 on TFsupplements. At that price point , under 1 dollar per scoop, Defcon 1 would be a great purchase for a beginner/intermediate preworkout user.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall Defcon 1 is a decent beginner pwo, however for an experienced user the dosages of many ingredients are just not sufficient. Although the price point is fair, I would have to say that in order for me to purchase this product in the future, I would like to see standard dosage on all ingredients, even if it is done at the expense of another underdosed ingredient.
  • Tigers Blood: 10/10

Overall
Overall
6.9
6.8
  August 2, 2016

Pros:
 Cons:
  • No Proprietary Blend
  • Solid Profile
  • Increased Focus
  • 2 Scoop Formula
  • Advertised Effects Not Present At Recommended Dose
  • Expensive If Double Dosed
  • Overly Sweet

What's up Troopers, I've been waiting and waiting to review Defcon 1 for a while now. I saw good review after good review and when this became available I had to grab a tub. During the duration of this review I was training 5 to 6 days a week while on a strict diet.

Claims:
Defcon1 is Platinum Labs revolutionary thermonuclear Defcon pre workout formula. Giving you the highest level of alert, Defcon1 was formulated to provide tactical focus and artillery strength.

The first thing I noticed was a full disclosure of clinical ingredients but............. There are quite a few ingredients that are under-dosed. Highlights of the ingredient list includes: 2G Beta-Alanine, 750mg Creatine HCL, 250mg Choline Bitartrate and 180mg of caffeine. Underdosed ingredients such as L-Citrulline 500mg, Choline Bitartrate 250mg and Betaine Anhydrous 50mg are almost useless at these dosages. In regards to energy and pumps, I didn't see much and it took 2 scoops to feel increased energy.

Taste - For this review I received the Red Cream Soda flavor which was pretty good. I was skeptical at first but once I tried it, it pretty much tasted like cream soda. The taste is a bit sweet and strong for me but not bad overall. I give taste a 7/10

Mixability - I didn't notice anything bad in regards to mixability, there was no foaming or settlement at anytime. Mixability gets a 10/10

Dosing - The tub recommends using 1 scoop within 30 min of working out. It did give me a bit of an upset stomach if used on an empty stomach, so I made sure I had something to eat. At most I used two scoops at one time before training.

To judge the claim of giving you the highest level of alert, Defcon1 was formulated to provide tactical focus and artillery strength - I just didn't feel it. This was a very normal middle of the road pre-workout supplement to me. At one scoop I didn't feel much with increased energy or pumps - at two scoops I noticed increased energy mostly from 360mg of caffeine but still no pumps. The only real positive was the focus aspect to me, nothing over the top but it was increased slightly at one scoop.

The cheapest value I could find for Platinum Labs Defcon 1 2nd Strike is on TFsupplements for $29.95. For around $1 a serving (30 servings) this isn't too bad of a price. However I wouldn't pay that price for under-dosed ingredients that wasn't effective for me. Would I consider buying a tub if there was a deal? Yes.

Side Effects

Upset stomach when used on an empty stomach

Conclusion

After all of the waiting to review Defcon 1, I found this to be just blah. I didn't really care for it too much other than it tasting good and helping with focus. If the ingredients were dosed higher I believe this could be a big boost for Platinum Labs. I want to thank them for participating in the SR Troop Program and look forward to other reviews.
  • Red Cream Soda: 7/10

March 15, 2016

• Solid Profile
    What is good SR nation, today we will being reviewing a pre-work out product from platinum labs called defcon 1! Well I love pre-workouts it is an instant gratification a rush of stims and sometimes beta-tingles. It is one product you instantly know is working which is nice. I have reviewed so many pre-workouts so let us see what I thought about this one.

-----Taste 6/10---

The flavor I received was Waterberry, it was not the best nor was it the worst just average. To me flavor is something that I can take or leave, it is by no means a deal breaker. The waterberry was simply forgettable, it did its job covering up the content but didn't leave me wanting more.

Effectiveness 8.5/10

I really enjoyed how this product worked. The first this noticed was a small bump in core temp then the tingles. As Petey said in his review the Beta-alanine tingles were very pronounced and noticeable. Next was the stimulant rush, it kicked in and lasted which was another welcomed effect from a pre-workout.
    During my brief comeback to working out when I used this I noticed a great boost in my work output, I was able to push a bit harder and a little longer then when days I did not use this pre-workout or used a different one. One side note this product did create a small crash for me about 2.5 hours after consumption.

Defcon1 was very consistent, this is why I can grade it so high. There was no need to exceed 1.5 scoops and the tub lasted unlike most other pre-workouts that seem to run out before a month has passed. For me and many more of us we are control freaks and demand consistent results and when a product hypes up its ability and under delivers we tend to bash the product, well this product was not one of those.

This product also contained bronchi helpers which again truly shinned during fast pace workouts. And the CNS aspect with the caffeine really broke through to keep you going strong until the crash. Overall Defcon1 was a very effective product that delivered the goods every time.

Content 8/10

Fully disclosed label to me shows that the company does not need to hide behind blends. I really liked how Platinum labs went about this pre-workout, it was built from top to bottom with premium compounds and well thought out. It didn't just melt your face off with high stimulants it got you to a level of go with the ability to keep you there and help aid your focus and breathing. This product was put together synergistic to make it more potent and effective. There really isn't much to say here other then look at the label it speaks volumes.

----Value 8/10---
    This product has a starting price tag under 30.00 bucks which for me meets and or exceeds expectations.
    I am confident that this product based on my experience is a top 10 prework out. It will last very close to a full month per container so that equates to 1.00 per serving give or take.

Overall, Defcon1's waterberry flavor was a muh nothing great but did the job. It truly shined when it came to effectiveness, delivering the goods every time with out fail. Consistency is my biggest catching point in all supplements and this one was on point every dose. Platinum labs really came through on the content when they put this well thought out product into production. The label is fully disclosed and the content works very well together. Price is on point at just under 30.00 bucks and performed better then expected every time. I will gladly place a full hulk seal of approval on this and would buy it for sure.

-k-

February 24, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • No Proprietary Blend
    • Made In A GMP Facility
    • Diarrhea When Consumed On Empty Stomach

Tactical Focus
    High Intensity Pumps

Ingredients

----------
    Some very common players are included in this fully disclosed PWO and with good reason. Tried and true components such as Beta Alanine, Agmatine Sulfate, Creatine HCL, L-Citrulline, Betaine and of course Caffeine are to be expected when creating a high energy, pump inducing PWO. What breaks DEFCON 1 out of the norm is their addition of the nootropic choline bitartrate to aid in increased attention, memory enhancement or what Platinum Labs calls "tactical focus" to remain on theme with their military dubbed product. And while I suspect a few things may be underdosed for my liking, on paper this appears to be a very well rounded PWO.

Taste / Mixing

------
    DEFCON 1 comes in 4 flavors: Watermelon, Pineapple, Waterberry, and the flavor I requested, Red Cream Soda. I found the flavor to be very enjoyable and I never tired of it. Kudos to Platinum Labs for their creativity when it comes to flavors. I don't miss the days of everything tasting like chemical fruit punch. This PWO mixed easily in cold water with very little foam or grit remaining.

Dosage

---------------
    Nothing new here. Directions state to mix 1 scoop with 8oz. of cold water 30 minutes pre-workout without food. I found 1.5 - 2 scoops to be more to my liking. More on that in the next section.

-------
    While the recommended one scoop was just MEH, I found that this PWO performed fairly well in regards to enhancing my workouts once I upped my dosage to 1.5 scoops. I had plenty of energy for a 90 minute workout after a 10 hour work shift. My lactic acid burn was significantly reduced allowing me to push myself further. The pump effect was definitely enhanced, though I prefer more Agmatine in my PWOs to truly achieve the label of "high intensity". And as far as tactical focus was concerned, I didn't notice anything. I'm not sure if I just don't respond well to choline, but in past PWO products, I've responded very well to ingredients like Alpha-GPC and AMP Citrate so I'm aware of what to look for in regards to focus.

So why not pop up to two scoops?
    Well, I did and I found the beta-alanine tingles to be too extreme and honestly at 180mg caffeine per scoop, I felt I may be overdoing the stimulants if I consistently maintained that dosage. This is where I feel the ratios may be off from one ingredient to the next. I felt like I hit the ceiling at 1.5 scoops thereby reducing my potential workout experience.

----------------
    A 30 serving tub can easily be found for $30 at a couple of the more popular web-shops here on SR. At $1 per serving this is right in line with most other pre-workout supps on the market. And if you can get away with the recommended serving size, great! Unfortunately for me, I required more than 1 scoop to achieve the desired effect which drops the value considerably for those of us craving a bigger kick.

Sides

----------------
    I consistently experienced an emergency level, workout delaying, bout of diarrhea when taken on an empty stomach. If consumed a few hours after a meal, the bathroom trip usually held till after my workout and was much less fluid, however it was still consistent every single time. I should also mention that I experienced very strong BA tingles when using more than the recommended 1 scoop dosage.

Final Words

---------
    On the Platinum Labs website they claim DEFCON 1 to be Australia's #1 PWO of the year. And while I believe they've constructed a quality product, I found this particular recipe just didn't suit my personal needs. A little too much of one thing and not enough of another, but that's just my particular experience. I have no doubt that for some of you, this just might be the ticket. I mean, all those voting Australian's can't be wrong, can they?

Overall
    Overall
    7.1
      January 20, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • No Proprietary Blend
    • Explosive Energy
    • Intense Focus
    • Good Pumps
    • Terrible Bitter Taste
    • 2 Scoop Formula
    Supplement Facts + Introduction
    When Defcon1 came up for review on SR I was thrilled, because a couple of my gym buds suggested trying it sometime. Well it has been a while, and since this is the 2nd strike they were interested how well it worked. Without breaking down the entire label I will point out a few interesting ingredients: Agmatine Sulfate is at a good 750 mg which is great for pumps incorporated with the Citrulline which is only 500mg here proves to be an over average dosage on the Agmatine end but falls severely short for the Citrulline side, which is not the more effective Citrulline Malate 2:1 that works just so much greater. The majority of the ingredients are under dosed or not as well dosed compared to other products, which this formula really shows a 1/2 effective breakdown of ingredients requiring 2 scoops if not a bit more. Stims Stims and More Stims! This is what to expect from Defcon1, with a dash of pump and endurance/strength ingredients (Betaine, Creatine HCl, and Beta Alanine).

Taste + Dosing + Mixability
    The flavor I had was Pineapple, where the flavor I requested was Red Cream Soda. Don't get me wrong, I understand this was a free product review but sometimes the flavor/taste is enough to set you off of liking a product (disgust can cause you to mentally not desire something for example). As per the title "The Spicy Tropical Mustard, With a Hint of Green Onion Strikes Again!" While it isn't very Mustard tasting, the Green Onion flavor just attacks and won't let go! I had to brush my teeth most of the time while taking this, and forget about taking a scoop to the dome because it was more intense of flavoring yet still lingered around. The recommended dosage isn't really stated, but it suggests taking 1 scoop and 1 scoop even on off days for best results. I started with 1 scoop pre workout, advanced to 1.5 then to 2 scoops for the remainder of the container. I normally took this 15-30 before my first set/warmup, which was typically done at home before leaving the house. This isn't very efficient at mixing, but a swirl and gulp will get the sinkers down.

Effectiveness 8.2
    With all the buzz for Defcon1 1st strike I was expecting something intense, and of course with most reformulations they just don't end up as strong.. But due to not having the 1st strike I can't really compare, but in terms of potency I will say that 1 scoop wasn't very intense yet still above midrange in terms of focus/energy. Moving up to 2 scoops of anything can make a big difference, and that was where the money of this product is most effective! Given that there is 2g of Beta Alanine and taking 2 scoops means 4g, you can bet that you will feel intense tingles that are very motivating! I bet I looked like some crazy meth'd up guy in my truck scratching at my scalp, smacking my tongue in my mouth due to the blood flowing through the capillaries. So when it came down the claims "Explosive Energy" yeah we got that! "Tactical Focus" definitely! "High Intensity Pumps" no so much, but still solid especially at 2 scoops (1400mg of Agmatine Sulfate). Based on 1 scoop the effectiveness was noticeable, but not the best of any PWO based upon 1 scoop. Taken at 2 scoops I would rate this a bit higher than most, and while it was some intense focus I found it short lived where I would just lose that Explosive Energy and the focus with it.

Value 6.0
    I was able to find this at $30, and at 30 servings it is $1 but for me (and most of those reading this) you will need 2 scoops making it $2 a serving which compared to other High Stim products it is overpriced.. BUT you get Agmatine Sulfate + Creatine HCl, which isn't something you will find in other High Stim PWO's. At any rate, I feel the cost per servings at 2 scoops which is what I would need wasn't a great value but was ok..

Conclusion 7.1
    Really this product wasn't as expected, while it did prove effective for a high stim PWO at 2 scoops it wouldn't be something that I would recommend first to any stim junkies or those looking for intense focus. I would however recommend this if you want to try something new, but definitely don't get the flavor I had.. YUCK! Thank you Platinum Labs for participating in the SRTROOP's, and allowing me the opportunity to try this product!
    • Pineapple: 1/10

September 12, 2015

• Great Focus
    • Intensity
    • Euphoric Feeling
    • Little Bit Expensive
    Say that title tens times real fast...lol

-Introduction-
    First off, this is a review on Defcon1 2nd Strike, not the original. I purchased the original product after hearing some rave reviews on how great it was. This was after Craze had gotten banned and I was looking for something to fill that void ever since. The original Defcon1 was great, and 2nd Strike is pretty good as well. At the time I was doing a simple 5x5 workout three times a week, with a total of 5 exercises per workout. My diet(Or lack there of) was a lot of fast food and other harmful things like that. When I started this product, I was in the middle of my experiment with IF(Intermittent Fasting) and starting to clean up what I ate since I had hit 225lbs in January and did not like how I looked or felt. I had dropped 10 lbs since then just from switching how(Not what) I ate and honestly think the original Defcon1 helped with that weight-loss as well since it kept me from getting hungry. After the original got discontinued I purchased Defcon1 2nd Strike w/ Amino Grow(Which I already reviewed). From my good experience with Defcon1 2nd Strike I felt it warranted a review for such a solid product.

-Ingredient Profile-(9/10)
    I love the ingredient profile, they dropped the BMPEA and also the proprietary blend so you know exactly how much of what is in here.

Starting from the top:
    Vitamin B6 : 5 mg 250%
    Vitamin B12: 40 mcg 667%

B-Vitamins are seen in a lot of pre workouts because of the energy they provide, however typically for b vitamins to work their best the user should have some sort of food or carbs for which the b vitamins can pull energy from.

Beta-Alanine: 2000 mg (One of my favorite supplements, Beta-Alanine works by buffering the acid build up in your muscles helping you to lift longer, and also heavier. Clinical dosage is 3.2 grams, they're 1.2 off, however it is still and effective dosage of this in my experience and if you feel otherwise you can buy bulk Beta-Alanine and add that 1.2 grams to it. Which is a nice thing about not having a proprietary blend, being able to add a few things to it if you desire.)

L-Taurine: 1000 mg (Dosage is right on with this one. L-Taurine has multiple uses, in preworkouts its mainly used for its N.O boosting properties, which aids in strength and recovery. Also studies have shown some mood boosting benefits as well. )

Agmatine Sulfate: 750 mg (Another great N.O booster which it is good dosage, 1 gram would be better but I am not going to fault them for this.)

Creatine HCL: 750 mg (One of the more popular forms of creatine, with the claims of little to no water retention(Which you really shouldn't have with any quality creatine in the first place, buts another story) better water solubility and no loading phase required. Personally I love my creatine mono-hydrate just fine, but this is a good addition to an already good looking profile.)

L-Tyrosine: 500 mg (It'll make you feel goooood, at least that is what the claims are with L-Tyrosine and I have noticed a positive effect from taking it. The dosage on this is lower than I would like, 1 gram would be my preference.)

L-Citrulline: 500 mg (Low dosage on this, should be at least 1 gm. L-Citrulline is one of the most popular N.O boosters on the market right. What it does is increases the L-Arginine levels in the body which aids in nitric oxide production.)

Beet Root Extract: 300 mg (This is an N.O booster that has a lot of believers behind it. Typical dosed in the 500 mg range, beet root extract (because who wants to eat beetroot before a workout?) is used by all sorts of athletes from biking, football, to martial arts for its ability to prolong endurance by boosting nitric oxide production helping to carry oxygen to the muscles thus increasing strength, endurance and in some studies brain power as well.)

CDP Choline: 250 mg (One of my favorite nootropics, CDP Choline supplements help improve focus and mental clarity helping to keep you in the zone at the gym and thinking clearly. CDP Choline is often compared with Alpha-GPC as being one of the best supplements for improved focus, and they dosed it perfectly in here.)

Caffeine Anhydrous: 180 mg (Another one of the most effective workout supplements you can take. This has not too much and not too little of it, at least for myself anyways. Hopefully you all know what caffeine is, and I try not to use too much of it in order to keep my tolerance down. A lot of people like 250-350 mgs of caffeine, which is fine. I tend to like lower doses around aound 200 mg because anything more usually makes my mind go nuts in the gym(See my C4(Gen 4) review for that).

Dendrobium Alkaloids: 145 mg (I'm still on the fence about this one, but I do like the addition of it since it has been shown to improve one's focus on the task at hand)

L-Tryptophan: 100 mg (Similar to 5-HTP, L-Tryptophan works to improve your mood by aiding in the production and release of dopamine the feel good chemical that is released when you try something new, or do something fun. Dosage is a little low. )

Theobromine: 100 mg (Found in chocolate, and also responsible for making dark chocolates happy idiots because of its effect on the brain and the pleasure cells. Similar to L-Tryptophan , Theobromine helps your dopamine production and release also helps with focus. Dosage is higher than recommended, but not to the point where it would cause any kind of harm.)

TMG: 50 mg (Not sure why this is dosed so awfully low to the point I would not have even added it at all. TMG is a performance enhancer when dosed upwards of 1-2 grams. Obviously 50 mg is not going to cut it.)

Higenamine: 50 mg (Similar to ephedrine, higenamine works as a stimulant and a fat burner by increasing the metabolism. Dosage is right in line with what it should be.)

Advantra-Z (Synephrine): 30 mg (Similar to higenamine, Synephrine works as a stimulant and a fat burner. So you have somewhat of a double wammy here with fat burning.)

Overall Defcon1 2nd Strike has a great open profile. It seems to be aimed more towards the stimulant side of a preworkout, which is the kind I love. The have a great range of different proven ingredients, dosed pretty good on most.

-Taste/Mixability/Dosing-(7/10)
    Eh, taste is okay. Got watermelon and pineapple, and both have a somewhat of a chemical taste. Mixes pretty good, sometimes a little bit of residue left. Dosing is one scoop of 7.5 grams with a total of 30 servings.

-Effectiveness-(8.5/10)
    Like usual, I'll break the effectiveness down into groups:

Focus: 9/10
    Great focus while using this. Always feel in the zone about 30 minutes after taking this and it last usually most of my day which is nice. The focus comes on slowly, but I love the feeling when I get under the bar for a squat and the feeling on calmness comes over me as if nothing else exist except for this lift I am about to do.

Energy: 8/10
    The energy comes on around 30 minutes as well and last me throughout the day. With the original version I would crash afterwards, however with 2nd strike the energy comes on and stays for a good 6 hours. After my workout I typically get a lot done around the house because I have all this energy I feel I must use.

Strength: 8.5/10
    Whenever I have some good focus going in the gym, my strength goes up. I am focused on my lifts, which helps to engaged the muscles better and keep my form correct thus creating more efficient and effective power throughout my workout. The intensity and strength I get from Defcon1 is the reason I continue to go back to it whenever I feel I need that extra boost.

Pump: 7.5/10
    Like I had said, this seems to be more of a stimulant blend but it is not without its pumps. I got some solid pumps from taking this, nothing mind blowing but they are there and noticeable. At the end of a workout I usually would have veins popping in my forearms.

Mood Boosting: 9.5/10
    Now this might be something you normally do not see in a preworkout review, however because of the noticable mood boosting effect it had one me I wanted to add it to my rating. Whenever I take this, within 30-45 minutes I would get this feeling of all is right in the world and it last all day. I swear you could take this as anti-depressant(not really, but you get the point). I love the mood boost I get from this, and sometimes I take it just for that purpose.

-Value-(7.5/10)
    This is tricky, I love the product and I think it is worth every penny; however it is $39.99 for 30 servings which is on the higher side. Would I buy this again? Yes, though I am not a fan of the price. Closer to $30 and I would give this a 9/10 for value.

-Side Effects-

-Conclusion-
    In a market that is over-saturated with products promising all sorts of different benefits, Platinum Labs Defcon1 2nd Strike not only delivers what it promises, but also delivers some extra benefits as well. The focus, intensity, and mood boosting effects make Defcon1 2nd Strike one of my all time favorite preworkouts and I would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a preworkout that delivers on its promises.
    • Watermelon: 7/10
    • Pineapple: 6/10

6.7
      February 11, 2015

Cons:

(Background info on yourself - This is my first review, so please be nice. I have been solidly lifting for just over one year. Training on average 5 times a week., diet,- High Protein Maybe a few to many pizzas and beers ;) , , goals are to lean out and increase Muscle size and definition., first thoughts on the product - Solid product. Works well. how you discovered SR- friend at work.

ingredient list is good./label is shiny and sexy)

I have tried both flavours, Pineapple and Watermelon. Both taste good. Mixes well. Try one scoop first, Then move up as need be.

Works a treat! But like all pre workouts the more you use them the less effective they seem to be. So take some time off.

Like with most things in Australia we get screwed. At $59.95 for 30 1 scoop serves. Its basically $2 a scoop or a pricey $4 a scoop if you double dip.

Side Effects

Itchy skin. But thats a good thing right? :)