(Better than 33% in Other Energy Supplements)

PepPod (Tube) is an Energy Supplement manufactured by PepPod. It is designed to improve mental focus and energy.

Overall
Overall
7.1
Thanks to PepPod for sending it out!
  May 3, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Profile
  • Low Caffeine
  • Low Caffeine
  • Energy Crash
  • Might Not Fit In Some Bottles

I received this as part of the trooper program and used this as a substitute for coffee on work days either when I have to get up early for work or late afternoon when doing a double shift and the energy crash starts to kick in. Solid product, gave me an energy boost, but it was only for a few hours!

I received this product as part of the trooper program (Thanks again SR and Clipper for this opportunity to try this product). My gym experience is irrelevant here, as I used this product for energy on work days - either early in the morning when waking up early for work, or even in the afternoon at work for the afternoon pick up. So I basically used this as a substitute for coffee.

Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid) 15mg
Calcium (as calcium carbonate) 40mg
Magnesium (as magnesium oxide) 16mg
Sodium (as sodium bicarbonate) 90 mg
Potassium (as potassium bicarbonate) 180 mg

Peppod blend* 324 mg - Caffeine (from organic green tea) CoQ10, D-Glucuronolactone, Inositol, Ginsensides (from panax ginseng Root extract), Taurine, Trace mineral Blend

***This product contains 71 mg of caffeine***

I received this product in 2 flavors - Berry, and citrus. Both had a weak taste, didnt taste bad, but the flavor didnt stand out that much. Didn't taste the flavor too much, and from what you could taste it tasted ok. Not bad, but not that good either.

Mixability is to drop 1 tablet in 8oz of water and let it dissolve. This product mixed okay for the most part, but the problem that I have with this product is that it never fully dissolved, ever! most of the tablet dissolved, but there was always a small bit of the tablet floating at the top of the water that never fully dissolved down. Also, being that these tablets are almost the size of a quarter, they wont fit in all standard size commercially sold branded water bottles - if you wanted to drop it in a bottle of lets say Poland spring or Dasani water bottle.

The dosing is 1 tablet.

This product only contains 71mg caffeine, which for me I thought was a bit low, but I have to say, to my surprise, this product was pretty effective. I would use it in the mornings when I'd have to wake up super early for work, and I'd also use it late afternoon for that afternoon energy pick me up. I'm not a morning person, so a lot of times I'm groggy and tired in the mornings. I'd take this product early mornings instead of coffee, and I have to say, it DID give me good energy to get me going in the morning. The only issue I have, is that it would give me good morning energy, but I'd crash mid afternoon. When I used this product mid afternoon for an energy boost, I noticed it didnt work as well as it did in the mornings for me. If that makes sense. It helped me have more energy when taking it in the morning after waking up, but late afternoon, the effects of this product were minimal, and didnt make me feel as much of an energy boost as they did in the morning. They did have a slight noticeable effect in the afternoon, but not as effective as in the morning. My routine later on when using this product, was to use this in the morning, but have coffee in the late afternoon if tired and working a double. A few times in the beginning I was using this twice in a day, but towards the end I would have this instead of coffee in the morning, and then coffee in the late afternoon if I felt I was getting tired and needed a boost.

Another benefit of this though as opposed to coffee, is sometimes coffee gives me the S**ts, where as this product doesn't have that effect!

I received this as part of the trooper program, but I'm rating the value on what it sells for / what I would have paid for it.

It comes in a tube of 10 pods, sold for $12. That's $1.20 per pod.

That's an okay price. It definitely is a much better price than buying a redbull or 5-hour energy, and $1.20 is a better price than buying a cup of coffee in some establishments, but the problem is that I often would take this and feel good for a few hours, than crash later on. So if you're needing to either use this twice in a day, or needing to just get coffee elsewhere, than $1.20 is a decent price.

Side Effects

Only real side effect is as I've mentioned, it will give me good energy in the morning then sometimes by afternoon I crash.

Conclusion

Good alternative to coffee, but only good for a short term energy boost lasting a few hours. This is basically like a 5-hour energy, but at a much better price. Overall decent price. It does work and does give me energy, but that energy often times only lasts a few hours, which will make me either take another pod, or just have coffee. The pod is a bit big and wont fit in commercially sold bottled water, so you either need a glass of water or a bottle with a bigger opening perhaps like a Gatorade bottle to drop this in.

Would recommend this product to anyone looking for a coffee alternative or something that's not high in caffeine, and would recommend this product over a 5-hour energy or redbull.
  • Citrus: 5/10
  • Berry: 5/10

Overall
Thanks to PepPod for sending it out!
  November 28, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Profile
  • Hydrates

38 years old and I lift 4-5 times a week and try to throw in 2-3 days of light conditioning as well. First and foremost, thank you to PepPod and the SR program for giving me this opportunity to review. I grabbed PepPods from the TROOPer program for an afternoon boost, but I realized after receiving this product that this was more of an electrolyte refresher than an energy boost. Lets talk about this below. Before we get started I also wanted to point out that PepPod sent me some press releases regarding their company and product along with the product, I personally think companies that do that are awesome and have nothing to hide. So great thing there to aid me in learning more about this company.

So there are a ton of ingredients in these little pods. Each pod nets you 10 calories, 3g Carbs, and no sugar. For Vitamins you get 15mg of Vitamin C, 2.5mg B1, 1.7mg B2, 20mg B3, 10mg B5, 10mg B6, 250mcg B12, and 400IU of Vitamin D. If I were to rate this like a multi-vitamin I would say how the dosages of B6 and B12 are well above the RDA standards. So pretty nice addition considering this is not a Multi V.

Next up we have the Electrolytes which include 40mg Calcium, 16mg Magnesium, 90mg Sodium, and 180mg Potassium. Calcium strengthens your bones and teeth, Magnesium aids in bone structure, Sodium helps keep the water and electrolyte balance of the body, and Potassium plays a role in main body functions including transmission of nerve signals, muscle contractions, fluid balance, and various chemical reactions. So some nice additions here as well.

Finally, we have the PROP blend that is fully disclosed, so a transparent prop blend so to say. This is called the PepPod Blend that totals 324mg and includes 71mg Caffeine (from Organic Green Tea), 2mg CoQ10, 100mg D-Glucuronolactone, 10mg Inositol, 1mg Ginsenosides, 100mg Taurine, and 40mg Trace Mineral Blend. So not a huge amount of caffiene in here at all, a small boost to get you going and from an organic source so you are not getting some junk or synthetic version here. The trace mineral blends are a blend of essential minerals to support nutrient metabolism and cellular functions throuhgout the body. 40mg is a bit low comparing this to other electrolyte products, but still a nice inclusion.

This product also has Stevia in it, so be aware of that. Not a bad profile here for something being touted as energy pills.

Taste: I recieved the Citrus flavor which I really hated at first. After a few pods, I got used to the flavor, but it still was not my favorite. It was completely drinkable just not that great. It tastes like a very watered down version of lemon lime gatorade, with Stevia added in, which I am not personally a fan of, so its likely the Stevia that made me dislike the flavor.

Mixability: Each Pod is an effervescent tablet that dissolves easily in water. Drop it in water, give it around 5 minutes and its completely dissolved. Easy and simple.

Dosing: Products like these are as needed. During this run once I realized this was a great electrolyte refresher, I would drink this about an hour after my workout. I always like to drink a Gatorade or something to refresh myself after a workout, so having this as an option was a lot better. I did not really get an energy boost from this (I am a stim junkie though), so I dosed this for electrolytes versus energy.

As an energy pod this really did nothing for me. That could simply be because 71mg of Caffeine really does not give me much of a boost, since I have been taking a PWO consisting of 350mg of Caffeine, and usually drink a cup of coffee to start my day as well. For those looking for more natural energy and have a low stim tolerance, this may work better for you. However, as a re-hydrator this product worked great. I would find myself having to go to the bathroom to urinate a few times after taking this, telling me that this was hydrating my body back up. After drinking this I would definitely feel refreshed, so in that aspect this product worked very well. I like having this option much more than a Gatorade or sports drink where you will just get a bunch of sugar and crap! So, to sum it up, energy boost not so much, nutrient replenisher most definitely.

You can pick up 30 tablets from Amazon of $38.92 or 10 tablets from the PepPod site for $14.99. This comes out to $1.30 a tablet (30 pack) or $1.50 a tablet (10 pack). You can also sign up on the PepPod site and receive one free trial of 10 tablets. Comparing this to something like Gatorade it appears pretty cheap, however, when comparing this to other electrolyte powders out there this is pretty expensive. I am assuming the price is like this since the product is fairly new, but its still a bit pricey.

Side Effects

Frequent urination due to being hydrated. Not a negative side effect, but one to be aware of.

Conclusion

Overall I was happy with my run of PepPods. I only had 10 tablets to try out, but it replenished me 10 times after a workout. If you are looking for an hydrator and a more natural way to get electrolytes back in you, take a look at PepPod.
  • Citrus: 4/10