(Better than 88% in Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA)

Antidote is a BCAA/Intra-Workout manufactured by Outbreak Nutrition. BCAA is short for branched chain amino acids. They are the building blocks of protein and can increase protein synthesis, muscle recovery and endurance during workouts and have also been shown to reduce body fat.

Amino Acids > BCAA/EAA

Overall
Overall
6.9
  September 13, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Decreased DOMS
  • Could Use A Higher EAA Dosing

I have Been using Amino acids from different companies for over a year now and I still firmly believe in their effectiveness, this supplement hasn't changed my opinion on the subject. Decent flavor, good formula, if you can find it on sale I say go for it.

Outbreak Nutrition has their own spin on supplement marketing and honestly I love it. They went all in with this post-apocalyptic theme and they are sticking to it. From glow in the dark labels,to comics, to backstories for every product, they went in 100% and I can appreciate their dedication in that respect. Don't let the marketing fool you into believing this is a gimmick company though, almost all of their products have a solid formula and i look forward to trying more of their product line in the future. Antidote is their amino/recovery product and as far as i can tell it works as good if not better than any other.

5g BCAAs: Your classic BCAAs (leucine, isoleucine, and valine) in the studied 2:1:1 ratio in their studies dosage of 5 grams. There are loads of studies out there and even more subjective evidence behind BCAAs so i will be brief. They help in muscle protein synthesis with less calories than straight up protein but do not think that BCAAs are 0 calorie regardless of what the label says (you don't get energy for nothing, thats just physics). They can also help relieve Delayd onset muscle soreness or DOMS.some people are still on the fence about BCAAs but I have worked out with them and without them, and they help with my recovery times.

6g Dextrose: This is just straight up, six grams of sugar. Some people might be adverse to having carbs intra-workout if they are fasted or keto, but for the average gym goer you will probably burn those carbs just doing your warm up cardio. I like a little extra carbs and have no problem getting them wherever i can so i dont think they detract anything from the supplement and only add to it's usefulness in my eyes.

1g EAAs: these are not your traditional 3 BCAAS, but they are amino acids your body can't produce itself so therefor you must get them from a proper diet or from supplements. Honestly this is where the formula falls short because I like to get 3 or more grams of EAAs in a good EAA formula. Granted, most people will get these from a proper diet or even your post workout shake but if I can get more I'd rather have more.

50mg Actigin: this is an ingredient that I know little about but research shows that it had great muscle building and recovery benefits when mixed with carbs like they have in this formula. Only time will tell if this ingredient holds up but as far as I can tell it is a solid dose and it seems to work for me.

As I've already stated, the dosing of EAAs lower than I'd like but the rest of the ingredients are dosed right at where they should be. As someone who drinks a lot of amino acids all day i don't need them to be over dosed. No complaints on the mixability of this supplement, not grainy, but not perfectly in solution.
Finally I will get to the taste. I got a great deal on the grape flavor and from what I can tell it was such a good price for a reason. This is not to say that it was bad, i just hear nothing but rave reviews on the strawberry margarita flavor. Grape is a good flavor, kind of a good middle ground between candy grape flavor and a grape juice flavor. It isn't quite a grape soda flavor, but with some ice it is very good.

Recovery supplements are hard to gauge effectiveness due to the fact that they have no acute effects. The main reason people feel a difference is because they stop taking a recovery supplement and just feel more sore than when they were on it. I have not experienced this with this specific supplement because I am taking some other amino acid supplements throughout the day. In my experience all of these ingredients can help your body recover so if you get a chance to use this supplement feel free to comment your personal experiences. I believe in all of the ingredients here and believe they could definitely help you recover and get back in the gym quicker.

This stuff can be very expensive if you get it straight from the manufacture, but you do get 60 actual servings per tub. I managed to get a buy one get one free from tigerfitness ( only the grape flavor) and got 120 servings for only forty dollars. If you can find a good deal, discount, or discount code i recommend getting some antidote, just maybe get the strawberry flavor because it sounds awesome.

Side Effects

As with most amino supplements, there are no side effects to speak of unless you don't want any sugar in your diet.

Conclusion

I got a really good deal on this supplement so I really have nothing to complain about. It seems to work and it tastes just fine, i wouldn't spend an arm and a leg on this supplement and it isn't really a fully dosed intra-workout, but as a "sippin" amino to drink throughout the day it is a solid formula. If the formula or the brand peaks your interest pick up a tub and see how you feel. I hope this review was helpful, it is my second of many so if you have any constructive critisism or anything to add based on your experience please feel free to comment.
  • Grape: 6/10

Other Prices:
A1Supplements   $44.99

6.7
  November 30, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Decreased DOMS
  • A Little Expensive

First and foremost I would like to thank Outbreak Nutrition for sending me out their product so I could try it and review it for you guys. I would also like to thank SR for providing me the opportunity and the tools so that I can share with you guys my experience.

I'm a 39 year old male who works out usually 5 times a day. I wanted a recovery product especially for my Wednesdays when I'm usually very sore the next day. I'm actually pretty sore almost everyday after a workout. I don't know if it's my workout intensity, or if I'm not stretching enough or lastly just my freaking old age. So when I noticed something that can help with all that suffering I clicked claim.

This profile is pretty simple ...

6 grams of Dextrose which are simple carbs that the body can you as energy when it rebuilds your muscles. Here is a basic explonation take from Muscle&Strength

Dextrose (AKA glucose) is a high GI (glycemic index), fast absorbing type of simple carbohydrate. Dextrose is used by bodybuilders and athletes to induce an insulin spike and replace glycogen in muscle cells which is lost during training

Than we have a basic 2:1:1 5 grams of Instantized BCAA's using a patented solution called InstAminos which I couldn't get any info how it differs from everyone else.

L- Leucine 2.5g
L- Isoleucine 1.25g
L-Valine 1.25g

Also they included few EAA's to improve with recovery ...

L-Lycine 500mg HCI 500mg
L-Histadine HCI 200mg
L-Threonine 150mg
Phenylalanine 100
L-Mehtionine 50mg

And lastly ActiGin at 50mg

I want to cover this ingredient more since I felt that the previous reviewers omitted this ingredient greatly and didn't give it justice ... Here is a list of benefits I took from NuLivScience ...

MUSCLE RECOVERY SUPPLEMENT - ActiGin is a 100% natural sports nutrition ingredient that has shown in cell, animal, and human clinical studies to support enhanced recovery times while providing a small but significant boost to endurance. ActiGin is GRAS affirmed and Informed-Choice Certified.
BCAA SUPPLEMENT - ActiGin is a proprietary, all-natural plant-based formulation derived from highly purified Panax notoginseng and Rosa roxburghii using a pharmaceutical grade extraction and processing technology that works beyond the typical BCAAs you're using to amplify endurance and post-workout recovery.
FASTER RECOVERY - After your workout, you'll notice how your body recovers much quicker, allowing you to do the things you love to do best without that 'sore' feeling in your muscles getting in the way.

I received the Strawberry Margarita flavor that I enjoyed. I usually mixed this with 8 oz of water and stirred with a spoon. When I took this as a intra, in a 26 oz water bottle it tasted even better.

Overall it helped me with my DOMS ... I would feel better the next day while supporting my recovery with this product. Obviously I would steel be sore but it would feel more like stiffness than pain. I do try to work hard to a point of complete fatigue. This is probably why my joints are hurting the next day also. I tend to work out so I'm sore since I feel that's how my body tells me it is growing. The taste is great so if you want to use this as a intra it will definitely keep you hydrated since you going to enjoy drinking it. But, there aren't any electrolytes added to this so it might not help in preventing you from cramping.

You can currently buy this in most of the online shops for 45$ per tub. That comes out to 75 cents a serving. It's not bad yet it's not the best for a BCAA product. I believe if they added few more recovery ingredients like glutamine, creatine and betaine this would be a perfect price, in my opinion. My favorite standard BCAA goes for .51 cents a serving so you may understand why I would demand more.

Side Effects

Conclusion

It's a good recovery product in my opinion that can also be used as a intra workout. It's versatile like someone has already suggested. I personally like the addition of ActiGin to help with recovery. Although for the price I feel there should be more ... and they should decide if they want to go Intra or Recovery ... because currently I'm just not sure ... I would recommend it still because recovery is important. I have mixed feelings about suggesting this to others. Personally if it was on sale I would probably buy it for recovery. I thank you for reading this and wish your DOMS to be manageable.
  • Strawberry Margarita : 8/10

Other Prices:
A1Supplements   $44.99

November 27, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Decreased DOMS
  • Could Use Higher BCAA Dosing
Ladies and gents... Over the past few years I have put my body through some tough and grueling workouts. Nowadays I have learned to appreciate a good recovery product. I try to keep it as a staple in my supplement cabinet and when I get a chance to try a new one I never pass it up. Thanks to SR.com and Outbreak Nutrition for teaming up to provide guys like me the opportunity to try a product. This one was FANTASTIC!

I have attached a label to this review that will show you all the individual ingredients that go into making Antidote a wonderful recovery product. I will hit on one that I found to be key. Thanks to Outbreak for not doing a prop blend. That makes it so much easier to tell how good/bad a product is.

Dextrose- I like dextrose. If you are trying to stay in a caloric deficit or in a ketosis state then this product might be hard on you. However, one scoop, post workout won't hurt. Just keep in mind with the rest of your nutrition throughout the day. You want that simple carb to flush spike your insulin after a hard workout so that your body can make the most of the nutrients you put into it. I used 2 scoops since I'm not worried about the carbs at this point. After the first of the year it would be a different story.

5g's of BCAA's isn't bad for a recovery product. I have seen more and I have seen less. I also supplement BCAA's during the workout so I feel I am getting plenty anyways. I like the EAA's as well (Essential Amino Acids) since I tried them a few years ago. They seem to boost my recovery time when I use products that have them in it. Actigin is another ingredient I have come to look for in several products. I like the fact that it helps replenish glycogen levels and help with recovery.

Taste- I received the Strawberry Margarita flavor and I must say.... It was YUM-O! It's one of the best tasting supplement drinks I have ever had. Honestly, I could drink the stuff all day... Maybe it was the Dextrose... I don't know. However, it was really good.

Mixability- I started with one scoop for a while and mixed it with roughly 8oz of cold water. After awhile I moved to two scoops with 16oz of water because the taste was too good. Either way it seemed to mix just fine. No grittiness, no frothiness, and no other issues for that matter.

Dosing- The label calls for 1-2 scoops with 8-16oz of water. Like I said below I went with that for a while. However, I found my recovery to be better/faster with two scoops.

Like I said above I have used recovery products for awhile now because I need them. I HATE soreness... Someone once told me that if you aren't hurting you aren't growing. With products like Antidote I still feel the soreness, but not as bad. When I run out of a recovery product that works I can tell almost immediately after a workout. It's like my body is so used to the ingredients I put in it after a workout that it doesn't know what to do when it doesn't get them. With Antidote I was still sore, but not nearly as bad as I have been the last couple of weeks since I finished using it. I have been waiting on Cyber Monday to reload and I have totally been able to tell the difference in soreness/recovery time.

I could only seem to find this product on Outbreak's website. It runs approximately $45. This could be considered expensive but it is 60 servings so if one scoop does the trick to lessen the soreness then that's 60 workouts for you. If you workout 5 days a week that's still a 3 month supply for $45. Legit if you ask me.

Side Effects

No side effects that I noticed.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I think Antidote could be a solid recovery drink for most folks. It's a simple, but effective ingredient profile that seemed to work for me. I can see myself using it again in the future. I used it after workouts, basketball games, and even sprints... It helped. Once again, I'd like to say thanks to both SR.com and Outbreak Nutrition. You guys are GREAT!
  • Strawberry Margarita : 10/10

November 17, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Decreased DOMS
  • Retains Muscle Mass
  • Versatile
  • Could Use Higher BCAA Dosing

Hey SR, here today to review a muscle recovery product called Antidote by Outbreak Nutrition. If you have read my reviews for the past year, you know aminos are a staple of mine and I have been cutting for awhile since my ACL reconstruction last year. I have had great experiences with Outbreak Nutrition in the past, but was hesitant to use this because of the dextrose and I have a ketosis diet. Luckily, this turned out to be a plus instead of a negative. Details below!

First off, props for the fully disclosed label, you know exactly how much you're getting here. We start off with 5 grams of BCAAs in a 2:1:1 ratio. I'd say this is average, personally I prefer a little more in the 7 gram range. This we get some EAAs which I really like. Amino supplements that have EAAs have always worked better for me and my recovery all the way back to Amino IV glory days. We also get 50 mg of Actigin for better endurance, replenishing glycogen, and recovery. Then, we have 6 of dextrose. A lot of recovery products include very simple carbs like this because insulin spikes help flood the nutrients into muscles. Being in a ketosis diet trying to stay under 25 g of carbs this worried me a little, but I know most aren't in this category so it shouldn't be an issue for most. Overall, a simple yet solid profile for a recovery product.

Mixability was good, a little foaming but nothing out of control. Dosing is postworkout. I usually take aminos as an intra, but in this case I went with the protocol and just waited to take it afterwards. I had the grape flavor. I've always wanted a supplement with a fantastic grape flavor, and while this isn't bad, I'm still in search. Since it's not an intra per se flavor matters less as I took it down pretty fast postworkout.

This was a very effective product for me not only alone, but also stacked with creatine. I'll explain. For the first two weeks or so I took this as a standalone product. My DOMS was decreased substantially and helped me recover quicker as I switched back to a strength routine. I would rank this well above average in terms of amino recovery products I have taken as most of my DOMS by day 2. As I have mentioned, I was a little worried about the dextrose. It did take a little extra planning/meal prep to stay under the 25 g with the added 6 g here but it was overall pretty easy. I do feel the benefits outweighed the planning as the recovery was very nice. As a bonus, after about week 2, I added creatine (unflavored) to this. I have cycled off creatine for a long time, and decided to just dump it in with this as the old school method you would dump some creatine in with a juice for the sugars and enhanced absorption. I think this helped as I cycled back on creatine as the benefits of the creatine were instantaneous. Muscle fullness, some regained strength, etc. Although loading phases are becoming less popular, with the absorption ingredients and dextrose in this I definitely didn't feel the need for a loading phase on this so it saved me servings. Overall, I think this product worked great on it's own and helped with the creatine cycle to help recovery and improve my workouts. Very happy with this product.

I was sent the 30 serving tub, but I currently cant find that online. They have a 60 serving tub however for $45. For two months, less than a dollar a serving, and getting BCAAs, EAAs, and absorption I think it's a very good deal.

Side Effects

Conclusion

If you're in the market for a nice recovery product, give this a shot. I have been impressed with most of Outbreak's line of supplements, definitely made well.

May 28, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Decreased DOMS
  • Energy
  • A Little Expensive
----Intro, Ingredients----
I typically wont use any carbs for intra workout, but I thought I would give this a run along with using it post workout for help replenishing the glycogen for helping recovery. I typically read my labels from top to bottom, so looking here I see that there is 6g of protein yet nothing is disclosed to where the protein is coming from. I believe that they are considering the 6g of protein being from the 5g BCAA + 1g of EAA, which is not correct and should be fixed in the future. I am not sure how the laws are in their country, but that is literally what Amino Spiking is (yet this product isn't marketed for its protein content). Moving forward we get 6g of Dextrose, which is the simplest form of sugar and not HBCD which is the better form in our purpose. This is the particular reason I stated in the title "some pixie stick sugars added", as many people know you can add simple sugars such as dextrose from candy to help replenish your glycogen aiding in recovery. 6g isn't really much, but think of this ingredient as a extra freebie. 5g 2:1:1 BCAA which is the standard clinical dosage, and an effective amount. 1g of EAA which is fine, but I never really have noticed it working too much in the past. Actigin is also here, which is for absorption and is dosed appropriately. Ultimately the formula is a good solid profile, but it contains dyes Ace K and artificial sweeteners if you are not a fan.

----Taste, Mixability, Dosing----
The flavor I was able to try was the Strawberry Margarita, and it was a unique and tasty flavor. It really was more of a strawberry flavor, but had a hint of lime taste to it with sugar rather than the salt on the rim. Mixability was a little foamy, which typically is due to the EAA I find but it settled down with not much of an issue. When it came to dosing it was as I typically run my BCAA products as intra workout or on my non workout days. I typically had 1-2 serving depending on the exercise group performed that day or how sore I felt. In addition I used this product pre working out and post working out.

Effectiveness (8.2/10)

I like to keep an amino product on hand and was thankful that this has come along, as I want to continue with recovery as best as possible. With this product it was a bit more concerning for me with the added sugar at times, which was mostly at 2 servings yet 18g of sugar isn't a huge issue. I have been cutting for the greater part of the past 4 months, and started heading toward keto. Needless to say carbs ala sugar can be a problem. I was able to use this product mainly as a post workout for the expense of the carbs, but also I used it as a pre working out supplement along with intra. I did take it with a Pre Workout before training on several occasions, which it certainly aided in the effectiveness of that preworkout in terms of energy as the BCAA's will convert the glycogen. DOMS were diminished and overall recovery felt more enhanced compared to not taking a recovery supplement, with the addition of less fatigue in my day to day. Overall I felt this product lived up to what other effective BCAA products I have taken, but nothing exceptional.

Value (7.5/10)

I was able to find this only sold on their website which typically means it is going to cost more, and that is the case. For 60 servings it costs $45 or $0.75 per serving, which I find to be a bit expensive for my tastes.. I didn't find this much more effective for recovery than your typical BCAA product, and if you are wanting to ingest simple sugars you can find you cheaper sugars in the candy isle and add it post workout saving you some money.

Overall (7.8/10)

I would recommend this product if you would like something different with a lot of servings, but only if you have a little extra cash to use. I enjoyed using this product, and I thank Outbreak for the opportunity to review it.
  • Strawberry Margarita : 8/10

May 22, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Decreased DOMS
  • Could Use Higher BCAA Dosing

First I would like to thank Outbreak Nutrition for sending Antidote out for review, and the SR TROOP's program for making the connection possible. This was an awesome post workout product that contains a well balanced formula with extra goodies. Overall a good ingredient label at an affordable price.

You get amino's, protein, and carbs filling your muscles for recovery after an awesome workout. First is 5g's of BCAA's at a 2:1:1 ratio, which is the common amount used in products of this nature. They are InstAminos, so should be more effective than basic amino's. Then you get a nice stack of EAA's at 1g for the matrix. Doesn't sound high, but two of these ingredients are HCL, which means a higher grade and less is needed (Lysine and histidine).

Also within this post recovery product are 6g's of dextrose to help get those blood sugar levels spiked for enhanced protein synthesis, and 6g's protein for that muscle happiness. All round a good supplement that is balanced.

Taste is perfect! I could easily sip on the grape flavor without any desire to get the taste out of my mouth. Mixing was also perfect with no grainy residue messing with the texture of the liquid.

Dosing for me was a scoop either post workout or started drinking about 30 mins before my workout was complete. either time recovery was noticeable. Some days I took 2 servings when training was more intense than normal.

Muscle soreness seemed to be well reduced while on this product when taken close or right after the end of my workout. This is the intention of the product, but I'm sure it would be good as frequently used for intra workout use also. I mean it does have the little extra amounts of protein and carbs!

Training the next day definitely wasn't as harsh due to better recovery, so I'd think it was this supplement with good food consumption as well. Muscle building comes from good recovery, so this would be a supplement to look into for getting the muscle gains more effectively.

$45 for a bottle really isn't too bad. Sounds expensive at first, but there's 60 servings in each container, so it's actually less than a dollar a serving! Not sure why other supplements they carry are so pricey, but this one I had not issue with.

Side Effects

Conclusion

Overall affordable post workout supplement that contains both EAA and BCAA. I'd recommend this to anybody looking to recover more efficiently along with liking the taste of the product haha thanks again for sending this Outbreak Nutrition.
  • Grape: 9/10

April 14, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Better Recovery
  • Decreased DOMS
  • Energy
  • Retains Muscle Mass
  • Versatile

BCAAs are one of the most popular nutritional supplements on the market. We have all seen people in the gym drinking ambiguous colored drinks. Whether it is the average lifter, soccer mom, manlet with a gallon jug, or anyone else they most likely are drinking BCAA. Personally, I really believe that BCAAs are effective and I think it has to do with my training. I train weights two days on and one off then another two on. In addition, I also do trail running 2-4 times per week depending on weather. I can remember when I was really into running I would average about 40 miles a week, which is a lot. One thing that got me through that without looking like I was starved was BCAAs. Let us see if Antidote performed as well BCAA products I have used in the past.

----Ingredient Profile---
Antidote contains 10 active ingredients that include dextrose, branch chain amino acids (BCAA), essential amino acids (EAA), and ActiGin. I will first start with is the 6g dextrose, which is a simple sugar. It was a challenge to find studies specifically on dextrose and the performance increases it can have on the gym (there are several for HBCD). However, I did find one that looked at a rowing team from a Midwestern university (1). They looked at the effects of 10g of dextrose against 10g of ribose before and after practice and a 2000-m time trial. They found that in the time trial the rowers that were taking dextrose showed significant improvement during the 8 weeks of the study. Personally, I would have preferred the use of highly branched cyclic dextrin but I still felt like the dextrose was effective (more on that later).

The next ingredient I will go into is the BCAAs. In Antidote, you have 5g of BCAA in a 2:1:1 ratio using InstaAminos. BCAAs consist of three amino acids they are leucine, isoleucine, and valine. These amino acids can be found meat, dairy, beans, and other protein sources. In regards to performance in the gym, BCAAs stimulate protein synthesis and can increase the capacity of protein synthesis. A study review found that BCAA before and after a workout can decrease exercise induced muscle damage and promote protein synthesis (2). This can lead to a reduction in delayed onset muscle soreness, which in turn can aid you in getting back to the gym quicker. They can also reduce fatigue during a workout. While you workout your serotonin levels will rise and can increase the levels of tryptophan in the brain. This in turn can lead to fatigue but with BCAAs, they will compete with tryptophan thus leading to a reduction in serotonin production during a workout. One thing I found unique about Antidote is that they count the BCAAs as protein and calories. I have heard of people counting their BCAA intake into their macros and it was interesting to see it on the product. The next ingredient is the 1g of EAAs, which are essential amino acids. Antidote includes the EAAs lysine, histidine, threonine, phenylalanine, and methionine. However, it does not include tryptophan and I would presume that is due to it potentially causing fatigue as discussed above.

The last active ingredient is 50 mg of Actigin. NuLiv Science holds the patent for Actigin and they say that it is an all-natural ingredient that supports enhanced recovery and boosts endurance. NuLiv does show one study where there was a significant reduction in inflammation and enhancement in exhaustion times by 20% in a cycling test (3). This seems like an interesting ingredient and I can see why Outbreak Nutrition decided to include it.

The only downsides to the product concerning ingredients are within the inactive ingredients. Antidote does include dyes, which I am not really a fan. In addition, the product also includes sucralose and Acesulfame K as sweeteners. This is not a huge negative for me but I thought that I would note it in the event a reader wanted to avoid artificial sweeteners.

When I am shopping for a supplement, I am always on the lookout for a unique flavor. Antidote comes in three flavors, they are grape, tropical, and strawberry margarita. I received strawberry margarita to review and it was okay. There was good balance of strawberry and that margarita taste, which to me tasted a little like lime. It basically was strawberry with a little bite (in a good way). I liked the flavor but it did have a slight sugary aftertaste from what I presume was the dextrose. Antidote mixed very well and had a little foaming. In the past with other BCAA products, I have had more foaming. In terms of dosing, I would use two scoops during my workout and on off days I would two scoops throughout the day. I would usually mix it with about 45 ounces of water and the flavor remained good.

In terms of the effectiveness, I really enjoyed my time with this product. Using it while weight training I noticed an increase in performance. I think a lot of it had to do with the dextrose because at two scoops you are looking at 12g of carbohydrates. Generally, I eat at about 11:00-11:45 AM and will get to the gym by 4:00 PM. So, there is a pretty large gap between my last meal and when I workout. I felt like this gave me a little push along with my pre workout/caffeine pill. My workouts went a little longer than usual and I was able to still have some energy to do some post workout cardio at the gym. For running, I noticed that I was able to push a little farther and would not suddenly get exhausted during the run.

One large area that this product helped with was the reduction of DOMS. I recently switched up my routine and train multiple body parts on the same day. What I noticed was that I was a lot sorer than usual when starting this new routine. Then when I started Antidote, I noticed a reduction in soreness. It seemed to cut about a day off my DOMS that I would normally have with the new routine. As far as DOMS for my running went, I noticed I was less sore when doing hill work. Overall, in terms of DOMS reduction Antidote was highly effective.

Antidote does rank similar to other recovery supplements I have tried. It surpassed pure BCAA blends such as iso-amino and Nutrabio BCAA. Those products were not bad and were still effective but the additional ingredients in antidote gave it an edge. I did however feel like my results on Antidote were similar to the ones I had on Xtend, which has been my go to BCAA/recovery supplement for years. Personally, I prefer Xtend for running and Antidote has a slight edge due to the dextrose as an intra-workout for weight training.

The only place I could find Outbreak Nutrition in the US was from their website. On their website, it retails for $44.99, which is a good price for what is in it. At that price, you are looking at $.75 per scoop with a 60-scoop tub. I feel like this is a fair price and would have no problem purchasing it in the future. Comparing it to my go to BCAA/recovery supplement, Xtend, it is slightly more expensive. Xtend retails for $54.99 for a 90-scoop bottle making it $.61 per scoop. I do wish Antidote was available in more stores as I believe it would bring down the price more in line with Xtend.

Side Effects

I had no side effects while taking this product.

Conclusion

I would like to thank Outbreak Nutrition for sending out Antidote for review and the Trooper Program for coordinating it. Overall, I thought that this was an effective product and one that I would use again. The taste was just okay but I would be interested in trying the other flavors that they have. I would definitely recommend trying it regardless of your training regiment and see how it works for you.

-Xcmiler

(1) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16377979
(2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18974721
(3) http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0116387
  • Strawberry Margarita : 7/10

March 7, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decreased DOMS
  • Energy
  • Better Recovery
  • Carbohydrate Pump
  • Retains Muscle Mass
    What's up SR! Right off the back, I want to thank Outbreak Nutrition and the Trooper program for allowing me to give Antidote a try. I am 3 years away from the big 50 and recovery for me is key to keep myself going in the gym. When I saw Antidote come up for the Troopers, I jumped on the opportunity to give it a try; I have used many other post recovery drinks, but Antidote looked interesting.

When it comes to the profile of Antidote, bravo to Outbreak; fully transparent on all the ingredients. There have been some good reviews from other SR family members regarding all the goodies Antidote comes with; therefore, I will keep my overview brief, as I will elaborate more on the use and effectiveness of Antidote.

It's nice to see some protein in Antidote, yeah 6 grams is not a true amount for a post drink; however, while you sip as an intera-workout, it helps keep your body in an anabolic state. I like the inclusion L-Histidine HCl, this plays a key role in red and white blood cell production, is an essential amino acid, and it is water soluble (you don't have to eat something with fat for better absorption). In addition, there is 6 grams of Dextrose, yes, some people are not too in love with using Dextrose, but I do not mind. Furthermore, there is 50 mg of ActiGin in Antidote, which as we have seen in past reviews on SR regarding ActiGin, it helps facilitate glycogen replenishment when doing any physical activities.

Taste - Antidote does not taste bad at all, the Tropical flavor I received was tasty but rather sweet.

Mix - Antidote mixed well, just a little foam for some reason with water, nothing crazy to make me wait until it settled.

Dosing - This is where I used Antidote in 3 different way: Post workout, Intra Workout, and Morning Drink

I really enjoyed Antidote, I have tried a number of recovery drinks, but I have to say, this by far has been the best one yet. When I would use Antidote as an intera workout, one of the main benefits I noticed was the endurance when doing either a fast paced full body workout or just plain old cardio. I did not have any insulin spikes, due to the carbs and ActiGin in Antidote.

When I used Antidote as a post workout, which on those days, I was taking 2 servings, one as intera and one that I added to my post protein shake, I noticed any buildup of lactic acid started to subside within 20 mins of taking it. Furthermore, if my workout beat the hell out of me like legs, I can feel my body feel refueled with energy; nothing like you get on a pre-workout, but like after you eat a good meal when you were hungry.

When taking Antidote in the morning, most of the time, it kept me from eating a full breakfast; considering I mixed it with my morning shake, which is straight Whey Isolate. Again, I attribute this effect to the carbs and ActiGin and some of the other goodies as well. One thing I noticed when taking this in the morning, if I was dealing with any DOMS from the previous night's workout, by mid-morning, I was not as sore as I was when I woke up.

Value - For $45.00 bucks from Outbreaks' website, this is not bad; wait, before you say it's too much, keep in mind, there are 60 servings. Therefore, if you use it as I did, I still got almost 45 days out of it. Considering all that you get with Antidote, this is priced right; don't forget, you get what you pay for.

Side Effects

None for me

Conclusion

So far, 2 of Outbreaks' products I have used Reclaim and Antidote, have been on point and support their claims on what the products was supposed to accomplish. So far in 2017 Antidote will be my go to recovery drink, unless Outbreaks does something crazy like reformulating the product. For the price and the amount of servings you get, I thing you are getting a very competitive product. Keep in mind, there are a few recovery products currently in the market, which might cost $10.00 less, but you only get 15 to 20 servings food for thought.

March 4, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Better Recovery
    • Could Use Higher BCAA Dosing

Gilla lifts. Gilla doesn't want to be sore after lifting. Gilla took Antidote to be less sore after lifting. This is Gilla telling you about Antidote.

Antidote is Outbreak's offering at the "more than an Amino" product. They give you what is essentially the basic industry standard of 5G of BCAA's dosed at 2:1:1. I'm sort of meh to this ratio and greatly prefer 10:1:1, but I digress. Apparently this is what the people want, since this is what all companies offer as a basic label. There's also a 1G dose of EAAs, fully broken down as well. The bread and butter that separates Antidote is the simple Carb addition of Dextrose, dosed at 6G. I'm personally more a fan of HBCD when it comes to a carb source, but I certainly was willing to give Dextrose a shot with this product. Outbreak does get points for it being FULLY disclosed, even the EAA matrix.

I was given "Tropical". Which, was sort of fruit punchy. It was a bit sweet for my taste but nothing bad at all. I just would not run out to consume it. The addition of the Dextrose did give it sort of a "chalky"/"sticky" sort of flavor that I didn't care for in addition, but again, this wasn't a real issue. I think the Grape offering probably works better when it comes with a chalky texture.

Mixed just fine.

When it comes to dosing this, I dosed it two ways. I occasionally sipped one scoop of this post workout or at my desk at work, but I mostly used 3 scoops in a 64 oz jug, with about 50 oz of liquid and a butt ton of ice intra-workout. I took more than enough water with this product to attempt to "water down" the chalkiness, but oh well.

When taking this product intra, I will say that the texture and flavoring sort of made this product less than ideal. I didn't really LIKE drinking this product intra. I felt kind of bloaty and full when sipping throughout a workout. Overall, this wasn't a killer for me, but it wasn't an experience that I necessarily wanted to endure. I find HBCD products to be far less bloaty and go down smoother, even if they are stickier...

Recovery is the name of the game with Antidote however. I did find a considerable amount of "recovery" when using this product. Drinking throughout a workout, I did notice a bit of less soreness and more muscular endurance. I do believe that I did get an occasional rep or two, but youll need to forgive me, I'm no longer a logger to give you the advanced stats to back up that claim.The product shines the next day though. Soreness was "measurably" reduced and that's the main goal with BCAAs. BCAA products are often magic beans when it comes to this, but I think Antidotes combination of Carbs and BCAAs did actually hit this aspect well. I'm getting wicked old, so this is definitely a nice perk.

Antidote is apparently only solid direct from retailer. This usually brings YUUUUUGEEE prices, but for 60 servings, $45 direct is "decent". I think enhanced distribution would help bring this down even more, spread that word, Outbreak.

Side Effects

Sorta bloaty. Meh.

Conclusion

Outbreak produces a solid contender in the BCAA market with their "loaded" Antidote. I think if they would switch carb sources to HBCD, it would be an absolute home run. As it stands now, it's a decent option to look at that's fairly priced. Gilla approves this product.

March 1, 2017

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Better Recovery
    • Could Use Higher BCAA Dosing

I've always been pretty adamant about amino acid supplementation for even the most basic gym rat supplement stack to keep the body from dipping into a catabolic muscle state. I've had years of experience with them and even though they don't immediately prove their worth, they are more so like an investment that will pay dividends in the future. I've enjoyed Outbreak Nutrition's recent product line and had to jump at the chance to test out their go at the BCAA game. I'd like to give a quick thanks to Outbreak Nutrition for giving me the opportunity to test out Antidote! Let's see how it stacks up against the competition!

BCAA complex (5g) (2:1:1 Ratio) : Time and time again I've more commonly seen the 2:1:1 ratio for amino acid supplements to anything else. I've tried out the other ratio differences from other products going as high as 10:1:1 but have never really noticed any significant difference. Since this is primarily a BCAA product I'll go into a quick schpeel on how they are theorized to work. The body is a constant calorie burning machine that goes through blood sugar, body fat, and unfortunately muscle mass to create energy that it basically runs on. When the body utilizes muscle mass for an energy source it breaks down the muscle proteins into amino acids (building blocks of protein) that it thus converts eventually into ATP by means of a somewhat inefficient pathway. By ingesting amino acids during your workout your body says "Oh hey look! I was gonna break down Wade's biceps muscle for energy but why not use these amino acids over here since I don't need to even waste time breaking down the muscle!". This is a pretty bare bones explanation on how BCAAs are theorized to work so bare with me haha.

Dextrose (6g): Pure quick sugar to help with that miniature carb pump and offers an alternative source of energy to further sway the body away from burning our hard earned muscle. I feel like sugar in general is one of the most underused foods in the fitness world and most people automatically assume it's the devil but it can actually be a significant factor in your conquest of muscle mass. I like how Outbreak Nutrition decided to just use a fairly small amount of dextrose per serving and didn't go balls to the walls crazy with the sugar. Another kudos for not really reflecting any other added ingredients in the overall price of the product since it's priced appropriately for a soley BCAA supplement.

Essential Amino Acid Matrix (1g)

ActiGin (50mg): ActiGin has been getting some buzz lately in the fitness community and I've been seeing more and more products include this ingredient in their labels. It apparently is supplement to boost overall muscular endurance by improving on the body's ability to replenish glycogen stores, which makes more sense now that they added dextrose in this product. ActiGin is still a fairly new supplement though and I would wait for additional clinical research to become available before jumping the gun on any claims.

I've had the chance to test out the Strawberry Margarita flavor and I must say that it is pretty tasty. For most supplements I typically don't care about flavor since I just gulp the drink down and get to work but BCAA products pretty much haunt your water bottle for the entire workout so I'm quite a bit more critical when it comes to my BCAA flavors and Antidote does a great job at making a fruity sweet BCAA powder that isn't overbearingly sweet or tart and mixes very well with the usual 12oz of water. It also does a pretty good job and constantly flavoring your water as you keep filling up during your lift. I probably drink anywhere from 2-3 liters of water during my workouts and I can taste a hint of the BCAA flavor throughout. It's dosed with a bigger than normal scooper but shouldn't be a problem to fit and pour into pretty much any size water bottle.

I say this quite often regarding most of my BCAA product reviews in that there is unfortunately no immediate effect that you will notice from taking a supplement like this but rather that it's an investment on your hard earned muscle and provides peace of mind to let you know that your body isn't in as much of a catabolic state as it would be if you weren't using it. That being said I do notice the pump effect from the dextrose in this product which is a pleasant feeling for any gym rat. It also makes my water taste a hell of a lot better so I guess I also stay more hydrated and reach for the H2O more often during my workouts. Either way, this product is exactly what I would expect from a BCAA product and even a little more concerning the extra goodies they added onto the ingredient list.

I looked around the internet and found the usual tub of Antidote at $45 from the Outbreak Nutrition website. I believe this to be a very reasonable price considering that it contains 60 servings keeping the price at a mere 75 cents per serving. Considering that this product also includes other stuff like EAAs, ActiGin, and Dextrose I believe that it's priced rather fairly.

Side Effects

I personally had no negative side effects from using Antidote.

Conclusion

Outbreak Nutrition really hit the nail on the head with this BCAA supplement. They made a fairly straight forward BCAA product with a couple added goodies that did not compromise the price point! Of all their products I actually believe that Antidote is currently king in my book and potentially my current favorite BCAA product at that concerning overall product value. Antidote by Outbreak Nutrition would be an excellent addition to any lifter's supplement stack and we can't forget the best part... their labels still glow in the dark. Cheers Fellas!
    • Strawberry Margarita : 9/10