Organic Protein Powder Reviews

By: Orgain

Organic Protein Powder is a Plant Protein Powder manufactured by Orgain. It is a common vegan-alternative to dairy and other animal based proteins. It supports lean muscle gain by supplying protein to recovering muscles and can enhance fat loss.

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Taste Great
  • Light
  • Cheap
  • Sneaky
  • Sugar Alcohol
  • Gums
  • No VeggieFruit Or Enzyme Blend

A few of these were donated to me from my gym. They are connected to a church that receives donations from Costco. They go for around $30 at Costco. Protein is a weird one to review, but I will do my best.

There are 21g of Protein from 3 sources which they call their ORGAIN ORGANIC PROTEIN BLEND which includes:

Organic Pea Protein - this is protein from peas :) that have a great amino acid profile and is easy on the stomach compared to whey. Gluten and Diary free.

Organic Brown Rice Protein - this is protein from rice :) this also has a great amino acid profile. Also easy on the stomach, gluten and dairy free.

Organic Chia Seeds - chia seeds are tiny black seeds from a plant Salvia Hispanica that also offer a great essential amino acid profile. I'm a fan of chia seeds. They contain a lot of fiber as well. Probably, where the high fiber content comes from.

There are 21g of protein from 3 sources. I will divide it by 3 and assume there is 7g of each protein source. But, that would be 7g of Chia Seeds which is high, so I'm probably wrong. Can't blame me as this is technically a prop blend since they don't disclose the yielding amounts. Pea and Rice Protein are popular plant based proteins as they are gluten and dairy free with numerous of benefits.

There are 15g of Carbohydrate coming from 7g Fiber and 5g Erythritol. That leaves 3g complex carbohydrates. They call the 3g left over "net carbs" which you'll see on the front of the bottle. They state no sugar added, which is true because the sugar content is 0g. But, they use 5g of Erythritol which is a sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohols are a hit and miss. Certain give me stomach discomfort at certain dosages. I don't get a stomach ache with this product, but my mother does when she drinks it. How sad. I've had some organic protein without any sugar or sugar alcohols added. Even though sugar alcohols are a hit or miss, they do make the product taste better (I'll explain more). The Fiber probably comes mostly from the Chia Seeds which also provide protein.

There are 4g of Fat. That can seem high to some, but calorie control is more important than this content. Fats are Carbs are coming from their ORGAIN ORGANIC CREAMER BASE which includes:

Organic Aacia Gum - no idea to be honest. It's a gum. Which has fiber content due to being polysaccharides.

Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil - this will be part of the reason the fat content is high.

Organic Inulin - a prebiotic fiber

Organic Rice Dextrins - rice carbohydrates, this is probably the 3g of complex (net) carbs.

Organic Rice Bran Extract - bran carbohydrate

Organic Rosemary Extract - no idea why this is here.

As you can see above are mostly Carbohydrate, Fiber, and Fat sources. Food Gums are also a hit or miss. There is one Gum mentioned above and 2 more mentioned coming up. There are organic proteins that don't use any Gums. They simply don't want to risk the potential laxative effects and stomach discomfort that they may cause. Same logic goes for when they do not include sugar alcohols. They don't want to risk the potential side effects from sugar alcohols. This product uses both Gums and one Sugar Alcohol source.

The rest of the ingredients are the sugar alcohol and flavoring, which includes:

Organic Erythritol, Organic Natural Flavors, Organic Alkalized Cocoa, Natural Flavor, Sea Salt, Organic Acacia Gum, Organic Guar Gum, Organic Stevia, Xanthan Gum

What throws me off is the Guar Gum and Xanthan Gum. I've heard nothing good about these Gums. But, whatever. The Stevia probably helps with the taste as well.

Taste - It tastes great. I have creamy chocolate fudge. You can taste the fudge part. It's not chalky or veggie tasting compared to other organic protein powders. It's actually creamy. It's not a nasty chocolate either. Taste healthy. Smells healthy. If that makes sense. I feel it taste and mixes better than most due to the sugar alcohol and stevia. The Erythritol provides some sweetness as well as the Stevia.

Mixability - it mixes just fine. If you let it sit then the ingredients will separate and you will have to reshake. I use a blender to make sure I get a full blend. No chia seeds hanging out. No clumping or foaming. It's not thick either. It's creamy, smooth, and light.

Dosing - It's a two scoop dose to hit 21g. It's a 46g serving size at 2 scoops. Now if you don't know there is a potential chance that there is less than 21g of protein due to the serving size being two scoops.

You can read here to learn more: http://blog.nutrabio.com/2018/02/21/supplement-brands-using-regulations-rip-off-say-aint/

21g is a normal amount for organic protein, but if it's actually 18g that would be really low. I use two scoops because I want 21g of protein. I use like a NutriBullet so adding more would be tough. If I had a big blender I would probably do 3 scoops with some carbs and oatmeal mixed in. I simply mix it with water. Nothing fancy due to the lack of being able to be fancy. They say to take with almond milk or water. They say to take with almond milk because it's dairy free.

It's a protein powder. It claims to be Gluten and Dairy free. This is true. It claims to be sugar free. This is half true. If I was to judge this before getting it free, I would assume I would get major stomach aches and discomfort. I would look at it and dislike that it has a sugar alcohol at a semi high dose. But, it is one of the least harmful sugar alcohols so I give them that. I would drink this postworkout and include it into my protein intake. It does its job and is true to its claim. A little sneaky, but whatever. I don't have any stomach issues with this product even though I thought I would. Someone will. Like my mom. But, I notice no difference in recovery between this and whey proteins. It's only 150 calories per serving which is light. No big deal. I give it an 8 because it does it's job, but could probably be more versatile by removing the gums and sugar alchohol to reach a wider audience. It would of got top score if it didn't claim to the cleanest protein when it's not.

Costco sells it for $30. I get them for free. It has 27 servings. That's a little over a dollar a serving. I've seen this product as low as $20. I think this protein is cheap compared to others. The reason is probably because they use gums and sugar alcohol to cheapen the product, yet still be dairy and gluten free. I would not buy this (I'll explain more below), but I give it a 7.5 for being cheap while proving a good source of plant protein.

Side Effects

No side effects. That doesn't mean you won't have any. My mom does when she tried it. She tried it a week later and it still did. You never know until you try.

Conclusion

They say this is "the cleanest protein you'll ever crave". I disagree. There are "cleaner" organic protein products out there that don't use Gums or Alcohol Sugars. If it's possible to stay away from them, why wouldn't you? This protein is sneaky to me through a couple ways. It takes 2 scoops for a serving. Mhmm. Claims no sugar added, but adds Erythritol even though it's a less harmful sugar alcohol. Mhmm. I would like to see a veggie/fruit and enzyme mix to make this product seem a little better. You can't fool me, but whatever. I'm surprised that it does taste really good and doesn't give me stomach discomfort as I assumed. I would not recommend this product to someone due to the potential side effects. Plus, there are "cleaner" organic proteins products out there. May cost a little more, but we'll worth it. I wouldn't buy this due to my assumption even though I'm wrong, but if I can stay away from those things then I will. I get these free and cannot be picky, so I use it. :) Overall I give this product a 7.5. I could do better by being less sneaky and adding a veggie/fruit blend.
  • Creamy Chocolate Fudge: 10/10

• Wis3guy
    March 31, 2018

Nice job, some more info on chia seeds as I have a bag on the counter for my smoothies. 1 tbsp (12g) gives 2g protein and 5g carbs. They have omega 3's in them and can absorb up to 12x's their weight in liquid.

• royalapple
    March 31, 2018

@Wis3guy Thank you for that.