Whey and Oats Reviews

By: Optimum

Protein > Meal Replacements
Whey and Oats is a Meal Replacement manufactured by Optimum. It is a protein based supplement meant to provide additional fats and carbohydrates with the purpose of providing a quick and conveinient meal. It can promote lean muscle mass gain and aid in fat loss. It is not to be used as a sole source of nutrition.

Overall
Overall
6.6

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Good Protein Content

Greetings SR! I've been a customer of products from Optimum Nutrition for a long while as they are one of the biggest names out there and their Whey and Oats product was one that I hadn't had before, so when i caught it on sale, I was all about trying it out as the profile looked pretty interesting and I haven't had too many meal-replacement shakes. Big thing to note here is that ON didn't make it easy for us here as there is another product, Oats and Whey, from them as well. While both have both whey and oats, they are not the same product and the profiles are different. With that out of the way, here we go!

Nutrition Facts (50g scoop):
Fiber 4g
Sugars 2g
Protein 27g

Ingredients:
Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate)
Whole Oat Flour
Natural Flavor
Cellulose Gum
Guar Gum
Sucralose

Profile is pretty simple for what amounts to a fairly light meal-replacement shake. The 27g of protein is a combo of isolate and concentrate and accounts for over half of the scoop. The carb content is about 2/3 of the protein and account for most of the rest of the scoop. I like that there is only 2g of sugar in here and we do get a few grams of fiber as well. The oat flour and oat bran are slow digesting carbs and for this type of shake I like that. Blueberries are pretty far down the list and I'll get to the effect of that in just a sec. My only compliant really is that I'd like the carb content to be a little higher than it is, like 1:1 ratio. This would make it more of a sustained energy MRP.

Taste for this product from ON was good, but definitely on the lighter side of blueberry. That's not to say it's not pleasant, but I found myself wanting more flavor after the first few shakes as you almost have to hunt for the blueberry flavor. For mixability, it was pretty much exactly what you expect from the ingredients, the protein mixes up well but with the oat flour, oat bran, and small specs of blueberry, there is going to be a slightly grainy texture no matter how much you shake it up. It's not enough to make it hard to drink, but something to note.

At only 190 calories per scoop (which is the serving size) this isn't going to replace any of your big meals of the day. ON recommends "For a convenient breakfast-time shake, just add a scoop of WHEY & OATS to a glass or shaker cup filled with 6-8 fl oz of cold water or your favorite beverage. Then stir or shake for 20-30 seconds or until powder is dissolved." For those of us that don't eat huge body building breakfasts, this quick shake on my way out door in the morning is perfect to get me through the first few hours until I have something more solid.

Its whey protein and oats, pretty much exactly what you would expect from a product that is titled whey and oats. While I would prefer another 10-20 complex carbs in here to make this a more filling breakfast shake, its does its job of getting me through the first few hours of the day with some carbs for energy and some protein to feed my muscles and continue recovery.

6.6/10
I've only found this product in the 1.54 lb tub which will give you only 14 servings. The standard price for this products seems to be between $20-$22 so you're playing right around $1.50 a serving. At that price, I think there is some value missing from this product and I would be more likely to just throw some oat flour into my normal protein shake. I have seen this on sale for 2/$34 or, like me, you might be lucky enough to find it on sale for half price randomly at GNC and then the value gets a little better. Purchasing this really comes down to how much you value convenience over the lowest possible price.

Side Effects

None noticed, I had no gas or other GI issues with this product, although I usually handle most proteins pretty well.

Conclusion

7.4/10
This is a decently tasty product from ON that fills a niche for me in the mornings and has a little more than just protein. The carbs from the oat flour are a good source of energy, although I do wish there were more of them in here. I think overall this product has a few legit gripes against it that keep it from being a great value as a meal-replacement shake, but if you can get it at a sale price or value time and convenience over straight cost, it can be worth your money.
  • Blueberry Muffin: 8/10

• dmf8625
    March 17, 2018

I love this stuff mixed with greek yoghurt. Ever try that when going through the tub?

• jamesjsix
    March 17, 2018

Yup! If you throw some blueberry greek yogurt in there with some whole milk and you got a fantastic blueberry shake for breakfasts. When I have the time and a blender, that's how I like most all of my breakfast shakes on the weekends. The best meal replacements are protein and yogurt with frozen berries and oats all blended together.