Protein Energy Reviews

By: Optimum

Protein > Other Protein
Protein Energy is an Alternative Protein Supplement manufactured by Optimum. It provides additional dietary proteins that can increase lean muscle tissue and increase fat loss.

Overall
Overall

Pros:
 Cons:

I usually hit the gym at night after work, but recently I've had a lot of demand for events after work and have needed to add morning lifts to compensate for the lost time in the evenings. The first few days were pretty rough trying to supplement as I usually do and obtain a lift that rivals what I usually can do at night. I started looking for protein/caffeine combos and stumbled upon this stuff from Optimum Nutrition, a company I use regularly and trust. It was very inexpensive compared to comparable products so I decided it was worth a shot. It doesn't have an ingredient label that is going to raise any eyebrows, but for what I needed it fit in well. Ultimately, I am very happy with what seems to be another no bells-and-whistles, predictable and reliable product from Optimum Nutrition. I regularly gravitate to their products because there are so many offerings and their prices are usually among the most competitive. They're rarely the "best", but you always know what you're going to get, and I simply trust them to be honest with their labeling and product claims.

This would not be the whey protein that I'd recommend to someone who's planning to consume their body weight in grams. There are simply better, simpler proteins available-- both from this manufacturer and others. What this should be used for in my opinion is a supplemental protein to your normal staple that can be used when you need a little energy at work, at school, or like me, need a pick me up first thing in the morning before lifting.

This is one of the more complex ingredient labels I have seen on protein recently, so I'm not crazy about that. However, ON is a reliable brand that I do trust, and most of the additional ingredients are aimed at providing energy. Niacin, B6 and B12 are all common ingredients for energy shots like 5-hour energy. Thiamin and Riboflavin are also B vitamins, but to my knowledge they aren't usually affiliated with energy; Vitamin E is usually not touted as an energy provider either, but is certainly good to have for its role as an antioxidant.

Each scoop contains 10g of Protein and 110mg of caffeine, along with 50 calories and <.4g of sugar, and there are 52 scoops per bag.

Others: Vitamin E (15IU), Thiamin (3mg), Riboflavin (3.4mg), Niacin (40mg), B6 (4mg), and B12 (12mg).

Caffeine appears to be derived from green tea.

Sweetened with sucralose.

Two scoops into a few ounces of skim milk and it tastes incredible. Liquid Cinnamon Bun-- pretty much spot on. No complaints at all besides wishing I could have some more.

It mixes easily with a spoon and has minimal clumping. Mostly small chunks if any. Not a problem at all, since they taste so good anyway.

1 scoop for 10g protein, 110mg caffeine. You'll probably want to take 2.

This is not a knock your socks of PWO or indispensable whey protein for recovery and building muscle, but it gets rid of the morning fuzz and lines your stomach so you can keep down any other supplements you usually take in the morning. I've found that morning lifts have fewer distractions naturally because of fewer people being around you and not having a days worth of thoughts stuck in your head. Because of this I don't need to worry so much about supplementing with something to help keep the focus to really get in a good lift. I use this product for simple reasons: a little boost, and a little something in my stomach. That's really all it does. It's not the most potent source of protein in the world, but it kicks off the day with 20 quick grams before the sun is up (assuming 2 scoops).

At Amazon this costs $19.99. Technically a serving is 1 scoop, but I think most people will want 2. That means you'll be getting 52 or 26 servings respectively. Even with 2 scoops you're under $1/serving which is very good-- especially for a protein/caffeine combo.

Side Effects

Conclusion

ON's Protein Energy is a simple energizer protein. A comparable product like Java Whey by Nutrabio provides a lot more in terms of multivitamin offerings, as well as isolates, but when I consider what I'm taking this for, the cost comparison, and the taste, I'd lean in this direction. It has no isolates, and the label seems to have a lot of superfluous ingredients, but nothing that I'd generally be trying to avoid, and for the price I wouldn't expect isolates. It does the job and gives me what I need to be able to put in work. It makes the morning more of an opportunity and less of a struggle-- that's enough for me.
    • Cinnamon Bun: 9/10

• Admin_
      January 28, 2017

I got a bag of this stuff for free at the Olympia or Arnold or something. Was delicious in morning oatmeal!

• bctuthill
      January 28, 2017

Good call-- I'll need to try that myself!