Platinum Pre Reviews

• Questionable Taste
  • Pricey
  • Need A Bigger Tub
  • Burning Anus

A little bit ago I got my hands on a tub of Optimum Nutrition's Platinum Pre. I love pre workouts and am always excited to try something new. Unfortunately, I was only able to use this about 5 times before having to give up on it because of a particular side effect. I will get into that later.

Here are the main ingredients per scoop:

L-Citrulline 2g
Beta-Alanine 1.6g
DMAE Bitartrate 250mg
Phytoblend 250mg
Beet Juice Powder, Grape Seed Extract, MegaNatural Red Wine Grape Seed Extract, Bioflavanoids
Caffeine 200mg
Capsimax Extract 125mg

It's really a pretty simple profile with tried and true ingredients, but nothing really new or innovative. Points for full disclosure on the label for sure. There's no creatine and I actually like that, because adding my own is cheap and easy and it makes for less math I have to do on all the different things I'm taking to get to 5g/day. Overall, for pumps, energy, and endurance, it's a decent blend if you are able to take 2 full scoops.

I found dosing this product to be a little bit less than ideal. Everything is under dosed until you move up to 2 scoops. The problem is that then you're rocking 400mg of caffeine and that is a bit more than I am comfortable doing at my body weight (165lbs) and stimulant sensitivity. I ended up dosing at 1.5 scoops. As I said, the caffeine was the limiting factor. I don't like to go much over 300mg.

Taste was another issue. I tried Fruit Punch and it was not a very good idea. More importantly, I'm not sure who decided putting Capsimax in something meant to be drank was a good idea, but they were wrong. This stuff tastes terrible and then on top of that burns your mouth and throat all the way down. Now I like spicy food and I put hot sauce on almost everything. So I'm not just being a female dog about it. The burn from this Capsimax was different than a chili burn. More sharp and painful than slow and lingering. NO THANK YOU.

Mixability was fairly poor. Not much of anything in it actually seemed to dissolve. There was always a lot of settling and chunks of stuff floating around. Normally this isn't a big deal for me, but combined with the taste it became more of an issue.

Side Effects

The reason I had to stop taking this product was because of the Capsimax. I could deal with the burning on the way in even though I didn't like it, but the burning that occurred on the way out became unacceptable. I will spare you the grisly details. I have taken other products (in capsule form) with Capsimax and never had an issue, which leads me to believe there is just a too much Capsimax in Platinum Pre.

Once I finally choked this stuff down, I did have some okay workouts. 300mg of caffeine did what it does and provided energy and focus. I did get increased endurance from the Beta-Alanine. The pumps were probably the most solid effect I received from the product. However, none of these effects were great and certainly nothing to write home about. I have had better results from several other products in all areas. Overall, it was just average.

You're looking at $35-40 shipped for this. That's a LOT of money for a product that only provides 15 serving to properly dose it's ingredients.

Conclusion

Unfortunately for Platinum Pre, there are not a lot of bright points. When you make a product that costs this much, tastes this bad, and gives you side effects, while at the same time only providing average positive effects, you are not going to get a very good rating from me. If the effects were spectacular I probably would have just dealt with all the issues and used it, but sadly that wasn't the case. The bottom line: when there are so many other great pre workouts out there, a severely burned butt crack following each workout is a DEAL BREAKER.

• kalans
    June 11, 2015

I have had a few samples of this and I agree on how you feel, and very spicy indeed!

• ron

Nailed it!
    I tried one sample pack of this and it was so bad I threw the other pack away.
    Capsimax is a horrible thing to do to a PWO.

• ODAAT365
    June 11, 2015

I was really surprised that this had a lot of other reviews that were very positive! Glad to know it wasn't just me!