Platinum Hydro Whey Reviews

• Great Recovery
  • Tastes Awesome
  • Smooth Texture
  • Slightly Expensive

This is my first formal supplement review - and first for supplementreviews.com. I read many reviews on many different websites; however, I keep coming back to supplementreviews.com because I feel as if the reviews provide an authentic, unbiased opinion of supplements. I am currently a senior full-time nursing student focusing on gaining strength. I follow a power-lifting style training program and have been working out consistently for the past few years. I'm currently trying to put on some weight. I've tried many different protein powders, but received a sample of Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydro Whey from the Olympia expo this past year. I really liked it, and picked up a tub last month from Vitamin Shoppe because I had a $10 off coupon. Because the product is quite expensive, I figured it would be worth it to pick up a tub as long as I had the coupon.

What most people will notice right away is the high protein content per scoop. Each 39g scoop offers 30 grams of hydrolyzed whey protein derived from whey protein isolate. 2 grams of carbohydrate and 1 gram of fat round out the macronutrient profile. This is my first time consuming protein that is hydrolyzed. Hydrolyzed protein is rapidly absorbed by the body. I also like the fact that Optimum includes an enzyme blend with this protein.

I bought the "Velocity Vanilla" flavor and am pleased with the flavor. It isn't the best vanilla flavored protein I've ever tried, but for the macronutrient profile, it's more than sufficient for my needs. In my opinion, it tastes a lot better than their vanilla Gold Standard Whey. I took one scoop post-workout for the duration of the tub. It mixed very well using a shaker bottle and plain water - no clumps. I occasionally blended it together with milk and strawberries in a Ninja blender as a treat. It tasted absolutely out-of-this world!

It's hard to judge the effectiveness of whey protein. I will rate this product an 8/10 because I have noticed reduced recovery time and decreased soreness between workouts.

Here's the kicker - this product is expensive. My local Vitamin Shoppe sells the 1.75 lb tub for $34.95. With each tub containing 20 servings, you're looking at almost $1.75 per scoop. I'm fortunate that I had a coupon, so it wasn't much more expensive than a traditional tub of whey protein; however, if you're buying this product full price - expect to pay generously for it.

Side Effects

It's hydrolyzed whey protein. I noticed no side effects. I will note that I didn't experience any GI issues while taking this protein. My stomach is pretty sensitive to whey, and some lower-quality protein really messes me up. I really liked the fact that I could consume 30 grams worth of whey with no discomfort!

Conclusion

8.5/10
Overall, this is a great product. I will definitely be picking this up again if I can afford it. The taste, mixability, and macronutrient profile are what really sell this product for me. The only downfall I can think of is the high price. If you can afford it, this is an excellent product!
  • Velocity Vanilla: 9/10