Performance Whey Isolate Reviews

By: Optimum

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Whey Protein
Performance Whey Isolate is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Overall
Overall
6.8
  June 5, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Stinks
  • Lower Protein Content Than Competitors
  • Enormous Scoop

Hello, SR family! I decided to do another protein review; this time it's on a brand that has developed quite the following over the past 8-10 years or so--Optimum Nutrition. Go to just about any fitness or bodybuilding forum, and you'll see more than a handful of people extolling the virtues of Optimum's proteins, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

(6.5/10)

Pretty straightforward ingredient profile: Whey protein isolate cocoa (Chocolate Shake flavor), assorted gums for thickness, and artificial sweeteners. Each 37 gram scoop contains 30 grams of protein, or about 81%--not very impressive for an isolate. Most other isolates have much smaller scoops (usually 30 grams) and yield anywhere between 83-90%, sometimes even higher. If Optimum would have used the standard 30 gram scoop instead of the Shaquille O'neal sized one, then based on the 81% protein yield, it would equal about 24 grams of protein. Most whey protein isolates offer a minimum of 25 grams of protein per 30 gram scoop.

(Taste 6/10)
(Mixability 10/10)
As previously stated, I purchased the Chocolate Shake flavor. I usually opt for strawberry, but I decided to try something different, and there were so many people who swear that this is just as good as any chocolate shake from Sonic or Steak & Shake. I can honestly say that those people are some lying mofos! The flavor was very metallic with only a hint of chocolate--very BLAND chocolate. The smell was anything but pleasant; it kind of reminded me of fish food. It did, however, mix well in a shaker bottle, and I noticed no clumps. With milk, the flavor was just mediocre. In water, the flavor just plain sucked!

(8/10)

Here's where I gave Performance Isolate high marks. I had no digestive issues, bloating, gas, or diarrhea. Recovery was on par with what I'm used to when taking a WPI.

(9.5/10)

I bought this at Costco for about 50 dollars, which is a very reasonable price. Performance Isolate has 50 servings, so I'm not going to argue with a buck per serving...pretty good value.

Side Effects

N/A

Conclusion

To quote the words of the legendary rap group Public Enemy, DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE! Compared to similar products, Performance Isolate is average at best. The taste is below average, and the protein content is below average. Optimum tried to compensate for its shortcomings by adding a king sized scoop to each container. On the flip side, Performance Isolate does represent a good value for a WPI product. It also mixes very easily and doesn't cause any digestive issues, leading me to believe that it's definitely high quality (albeit shitty tasting) protein.

• MarsheS