Performance Whey Reviews

By: Optimum

FORUM TOPICS

Protein > Whey Protein
Performance Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Only 3 Reviews - Waiting for more trustworthy reviews

October 5, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Great
  • Taste
  • Quality
  • Lean Muscle Mass
  • Serving Price Little High
Hey all, so its been a while since I wrote a review on here, because I have been dealing with my own personal issues, but I really wanted to give an honest review on this product.

This is a whey protein powder made by Optimum Nutrition. It offers 22g per serving, and about 25 servings per container. Now that is not a lot due to the value of the product, but I was able to pick it up as a HotBuy at GNC so it worked out.

TASTE/MIX-ABILITY: 9/10 - So the taste if pretty damned delicious. I bought chocolate, just because it is my favorite flavor. As we all know most ON Whey Proteins taste okay, not great, a bit watery and not chocolaty enough. However, this product taste just like drinking a cool chocolate shake. Mixed with water or milk, it does not matter, still tastes good. Mixing the product is awesome. It breaks down very quickly even in crappy shakers without the ball stirrer. You also can use a small amount of water if you don't like drinking for 2 minutes worth of water/protein after a workout. You can even do it as a shot, and it still tastes and mixes great.

INGREDIENTS: 8/10
PER SERVING

160 CALORIES
22g PROTEIN
4g FAT
9g CARBS
And a very fast rate of digestion

Pretty straight forward in my opinion. Now I've noticed some reviewers say this is the bottom of the barrel for ON protein or its just filled with fillers, but I don't believe its true. True, there is no creatine or BCAA in it, but I am buying protein for the sole purpose of post workout quick digestion muscle rebuilding protein. If I wanted all the other features, I would choose a different brand.

VALUE: 6/10 - Okay so I picked this up on sale for $25.99 which is cheaper then standard 100% Gold Whey. If this is not on sale it does get pretty pricey at around $44 for 25 servings, that is too much money to pay for protein.

EFFECTIVENESS: 8/10 - I used this protein post workout only and my routine included CrossFit type of workouts, where I did Circuit Training from one Exercise to the other without resting. When supplementing with this protein during that time post workout, I noticed a clean lean muscle mass. Now don't get me wrong, I was not adding tons of LBS, but I did notice my Mass went up a little bit, and it was more Muscle Mass rather then just FAT Mass. So for me as a standard protein for the right price, this stuff is great.

OVERALL: 8/10 - Great Tasting, Great Mixing, Effective Protein if valued properly. I would recommend to others if:

1. You care about the taste of your protein
2. You can't afford a really good mixer
3. Looking for Quick Digestion Post Workout Protein
4. Or just looking for a standard protein without the fillers.

Hope that helps

June 19, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Great
  • Taste
  • Low Cost
  • Lots Of Fillers
  • Lower Quality Source
When Optimum announced this product i knew that i had to give it a try so when it was time to pick up protein i chose this instead of my normal 100% Whey, and honestly I'm kind of upset that i did. Let me say that this is not a terrible product i just don't understand why a company that IMO offers one of the best whey proteins already would release a lower quality product?

Ingredient/Serving Profile: (6.5/10)
First thing to point out is that the #1 protein source in this product is concentrates, this is not the best source due to it still containing some lactose and fat. It does contain the better protein sources, Isolates and Hydro-Isolates but it does not specify the ratios and due to the low cost it would seem that it is most likely a majority of concentrate.

In each 4.3lb container there are 50, 39g servings each providing:

160 Cal
22g of protein
5g BCAA's
3g Glutamine
4g Fat
9g Carbs
4g Sugars

So that means that only a little over a half of the scoop is what your paying for, protein. Not exactly a bright spot for this product.

Taste/Mix-ability: (9.5/10)
Definitely one of the bright spots for this product, I chose the Chocolate Shake flavor and it was one of the best tasting proteins i have ever used and because I am currently in a cutting phase i was mixing with mostly water and IMO it tasted better in water than it did in milk. Because it is "instantized" it mixes very well, the directions highlight the ability to make a "protein shot" in only 3-4oz of water and it came through mixing completely in that little amount of water. No clumping or sticking to the sides.

Value: (7/10)
At $38 for 50 servings the per serving cost is $1.31 which is lower than 100% Whey's which is $1.41 (based on lockout.com's price of $51.95). But with only 22g protein/39g serving (56%)vs. 100% Whey which provides 24g protein/30g serving (80%)your paying for a lot of fillers that can interfere with your results.

Overall: (7/10)
I understand what Optimum was attempting with this product, as the cost of protein continuing to go up they are trying to provide a lower cost option to everyday consumers. This is not a bad product, I felt no difference in terms of gains and recovery but IMO i would rather pay the extra few dollars and get the higher quality protein.

I hope this helps

June 13, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Mixes Great
  • Taste
  • Quality
  • Serving Price Little High
I'll keep this short and to the point
Taste- 8
Just like all ON proteins it had a great taste, strong but not overpowering.
Mixability- 10
This is a big marketing point for this protein because it can be mixed in just 4oz of water. About 3-4 good shakes and it was mixed.
Profile- 7.8
22g protein, 9g carb, 4g fat. Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Protein Concentrate). ON quality protein that is versatile.
Price -7.5
They market this as their cheapest protein but when you break it down on a serving by serving basis, ON Gold Standard is still cheaper and has a little bit higher protein content.
Effectiveness/usage- 8
I used half scoop before workouts and full after along with creatine mono. Effectiveness use good the 9g of carbs was nice pre and post to help with glycogen stores, post workout I add frozen bananas and strawberries to increase carbs and pre I would mix it with Gatorade for the same reason. Soreness was minimal and recovery came easy.
Overall- 8.1
With all things together the price should be slightly less but are able to hide the serving by serving cost well unless you do the math yourself. And remember it has less protein than Gold Standard and is more per serving. For that reason this would not be at the top of my pecking order to purchase again. If you want to try this go for it, but there are better bang for your buck (with the same quality) out there.