Nitro Core 24 has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Casein Protein

Nitro Core 24 Reviews

By: Optimum

Nitro Core 24 is a Casein Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It utilizes the slowest digesting form of protein. Often used for a time released version of protein, it will help increase muscle recovery and strength.

Nitro Core 24 has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Casein Protein

February 16, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Profile
  • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
  • Great Value
  • Good Results
  • Carbs Make It Not A Bed-time Suitable Protein
Okay, here goes my first review. I chose ON Nitro Core 24 for a Meal Replacement Sup as I was first getting serious about fitness after a long time as a "disgusting fatbody". I like the various sources of protein for sustained release, without having to step up to ON Pro Complex. This is also a solid meal replacement because of the 5g of fiber, which will help you feel full longer.

Results: 10- It does exactly what I was looking for. Great meal replacement because of the quality of protein, fiber, amino acids, and enzymes to help with digestion.

Taste: 8- Herein lies my only complaint, which is not a big deal because I drink this for nutritional value, not taste. It was not horrible but it did have a bit of a "eggy" taste. I usually mixed this with berries or something else since it was a meal replacement, and that took care of the problem. I also fould that if I was going to have it by itself that adding a small splash of flavored coffee creamer vastly improved the flavor.

Mixability: 7- Because of the various protein sources, some of it will mix easily and some will not. It is fine with a blender or just down the chunks. We have all done it before and there is some good nutrition in those pesky little chunks.

Value: 10- I got this on clearance at GNC, but I think that any reasonable price woud be a great value because of the quality of the overall product.

I am now getting more serious about my fitness, and moving on to ON 100% Whey and Casein, but I will probably buy this again as a between meal fill-in.

P.S. Even though this has slower digesting protein in it, it is probably not the best choice for a bedtime shake because of the carbs.

January 19, 2012

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Great Flavors
  • Great Profile
  • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
  • Great Before Bed
  • Sustained Release
  • Great Value
  • Good Results
    Alright this is my first review so bear with me. Im on a mass/strength building regimen at the moment and i needed more substinence in my between meal protein shakes so i decided to give Nitro Core a go. I chose Optimums Nitro Core 24 to review because it has been an absolute staple in my diet being deployed and in a mass gaining phase. It is the perfect "in between" protein addition. For example, I split a serving of this with half a serving of a weight gainer (Up Your Mass) for the benefits of an even more diverse nutrient profile, and for even more protein digestion rates (UYM only has soy, concentrate and isolate :/), and of course to get the benefits of half a serving of weight gainer with a full serving of protein in it. I also split it the same way with 100% casein before bed for the added fiber and even slower rate of digestion. So as you can see, its a super versatile protein blend and can be used in conjunction with other products, meals, and various times of the day. Pretty badass thing to be able to "dot the I's" with your diet. Okay now for the real review:

Taste: I've only tried two different flavors and both were fairly good Chocolate and Cinnabon. There's a strange aftertaste with this product that i have a hard time putting my finger on. I read someones review awhile back that pretty much hit the nail on the head. "It kinda tastes how wet paint smells." LOL it sounds bad but its really not at all. Both really delicious flavors.

Mixability: This is where the products doesnt quite shine. The mixability is not horrible but it definitely takes a little effort to get all the clumps out (boo hoo) Its most likely because of the casein in it which we all know is a pain in the dick. Really nothing to complain about though, I just swallow the clumps whole haha.

Effectiveness: Does exactly what its meant to and then some. Optimum Nutrition really outdid themselves as far as a cheaper alternative to the famous Pro Complex. Can be used for mass gaining if you pair it with a high calorie diet and lots of quality carbs. But it can also be used in a cutting diet because of the low amount of calories and carbs which is mostly from fiber. Fiber is very healthy and good for digestion and overall gastro health for those who didnt know and its really great for making you feel fuller for longer. I was happy about this because i get F'n ravenous between meals. Along with a super comprehensive enzyme blend to aid even MORE with digestion and additional medium chain tri glycerides (healthy fats) its got a great amino acid profile. Seriously just a devastating combo for the price and bioavailability. Perfect for meal replacements and anyhting in between. Although its a great "any time" protein its certinly not optimal for postworkout because of the time released nature of the protein sources, fats, and fiber inside of it so make sure to take it before not after. I definitely experienced a lot better recovery by incorporating this into my diet. Its something you cant really measure you can just feel.

Side Effects: Not a whole lot you can mess up here. May experience a bit of bloating and gas. In fact you probably will because of the amount of processes your body needs to go through to break this stuff down and utilize it. Those side effects are greatly reduced as a result of the digestive enzyme blend though so its nothing new in the protein business nor anything to whine about. If you dont like it, drink a slimfast.

Price: Surprisingly its not a super expensive product. Especially compared to its big sister Pro Complex. It can be found anywhere in the ballpark of $23-$28 bucks for 3 lbs and $38-$45ish bucks for the big 6lbs tub. so definitely something that you can regularly purchase or substitute other products for (i.e. Casein, whey, etc) I got mine off supplement warehouse for like 39 dollars. Go me.

Overall: I really wish this wasn't such an underrated product. Its great if you have the cash and understanding of its ingredients. I definitely will keep buying this as long as i can. That is until i remove the tampon from my vagina and start buying Pro Complex. :/

Excellent product. Highly recommended in every category.

September 19, 2011

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Flavors
    • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
    • Sustained Release
    • Little Too Expensive
    Optimum's Nitro Core 24. Ultimate Chocolate flavor.

In an attempt to regulate my diet, I gave this a product a shot. I kept it on hand at work and used it as my "in-between" meals and to help bring my daily protein intake to the level it should be at.

Taste: Amazing in ice cold water.

Mixability: Also great. Just shook it up in a bottle of water. Doesn't liquefy as fast as the whey, but a lot nicer than casein.

Effectiveness: Recoveries seem to have improved and it does serve pretty well as a staple in a "in-between" meal. It's low enough in calories, and somewhat filling, that you can add something else on the side.

Value: It is a good value, but not great. I already decided I am going keep using whey with workouts, and casein at night, so it makes more since to use some combination of those or to simply get some egg protein in to get the intermediate protein digestion.

Side Effects: I had none.

Overall: Absolutely worth trying, evaluate the cost vs. your effectiveness later.

June 3, 2010

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Great Flavors
    • Great Profile
    • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
    • Sustained Release
    • Good Results
      This is a prbably one of the best well rounded proteins out in the market IMO, and Im sure many people will agree. It has a great profile that your body wants and needs, 200 cals, 5g of fat (1.5 sat), 5g of fiber, and of course 24g of protein. Fast, intermidiate, and slow digesting that can fullfil your protein needs for hours. And all of that is one scoop, most people use two. I would not use this for cutting unless used for a MRP, which in that case it is great. It can be used for bulking for light gainers due to extra calorie intake and higher fat (healthy fats). But Nitro core is one of the best supplements to maintain weight and support muscle growth.
      I had extreme cookies n creme and inn my experience, I had to get used to the taste. My first couple of times drinking it I wondered why everyone bragged about the taste. After awhile though I loved it and craved the chunks of cookies in it(or whatever the chunks are in the c'n'c it was good!).
      I didnt have too much trouble with mixing, a couple of clumps here and there, but I didnt mind that at all, I thought they were delicious.
      I just finished my 6pound tub 4 days ago and I notice the my arms and chest are much 'fuller' from when I started taking Nitro Core. Moderate strength increases in a number of excerises.
      For an anytime protein, Nitro Core is one of the better values on the market. First of all, the profile of ingredients is amazing. It works. This stuff really does help build muscle. Not only that, but there are 58 servings in a 6 pound tub. bb.com has that for $44 dollars. About $.75 a serving for a tub that lasts forever and actually works. Not too bad IMO.

April 11, 2010

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Flavors
      • High Carbs Are Good For Bulking
      • Tastes Just As Good As Syntha-6
      • Good Results
      • Great Value
      • Sustained Release
      • Unnecessary Carbs
      • Mixability Isn't The Best
      • Too Many Carbs For A Dieter
      Optimum Nutrition's Nitro Core 24 is a great product.

All my main supplements are from Optimum Nutrition.. Ive been using them for about 2 years now and I have not yet found a product I had anything bad to say about. Best company out there for protein.

This is a great protein for during the day when you can't sit down to eat a real meal. I use this when I am at school. I just throw some powder in a shaker, throw it in my baag and when I need it I just add cold water.

Although this is a great between meals protein powder, its even better for pre-bedtime. I know some people may argue with me on this one and say because it has some extra carbs/sugar (14 grams carbs) that it isn't the best option for before bed, BUT if your trying to gain muscle then those added carbs will help you. If your dieting, you don't want any carbs before bed, so that your body burns just stored fat overnight.

Anyway, with fast, slow, and moderate digesting proteins in this porduct, Nitro Core is a great protein supplement for before bed to stay in an anabolic state overnight.

Taste-10/10
      The only products better tasting than this would be Muscle Milk and Syntha-6. The vanilla flavor is amazing. With extra added fats (MCT's, Creamer, Sunflower Oil) and sugar (14 grams carbs), it tastes like a vanilla milkshake straight from an ice cream place.

Price/Value-10/10
      I found this product at GNC during a GOLD card week when it was on sale for 34.99. This was a steal because I only used one scoop before bed every night and it lasted me 6 weeks. That's really tough to beat considering it's usually 69.99 at GNC.

Ingredients-9/10
      It has a great, broad profile of ingredients to help add muscle and recover faster. It lists its protein sources as
      "FASTER: Hydrolyzed Whey Peptides, Ion-Exchange Whey Protein Isolate, Cross-Flow Microfiltered Whey Protein Isolate, Ultrafiltered Whey Protein Concentrate, Glutamine Peptides
      INTERMEDIATE: Egg Albumen, Milk Protein Isolate, Ultrafiltered Milk Protein Concentrate
      SLOWER: Micellar Casein, Calcium Caseinate"
      This is a great profile of proteins for putting your body in an anabolic environment.

It also has a lipid blend, and enzyme blend, and 5 grams of fiber to keep you full.

Mixability-8/10
      Mixability was one of the downsides I suppose. With the vanilla flavor, when mixed in a shaker, it would froth up a little and there would be crystals on top of the shake that didn't dissolve. I assume this is most likely from all the added fats, fiber and carbohydrates. Not a big deal.

Effectiveness-9/10
      I can't say this helped me pack on muscle, because there are so many factors that go into that (like getting adequate sleep, consuming optimal calories, hormone levels dictating muscle growth, etc.), but Nitro Core definitely helped me recover faster. And if a protein product makes me feel like I recover faster than it's doing the job. I woke up every morning feeling refreshed and only having minor soreness from my workout the evening before.

Overall, I have to conclude that Optimum Nutrition's Nitro Core 24 is an amazing protein product. All the ingredients are similar to Syntha-6, almost exactly the same, even in taste !! It's one of the best sustained-release protein supplements I have ever tried. The only sustained-release protein suppplements that may be better than this would be Optimum Nutrition's 100 % Casein and BSN's Syntha-6. Taste is great, helps recovery, great as a meal replacement. Give it a try !! Highly recommended. : D

March 24, 2010

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Flavors
      • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
      • Sustained Release
      • Great Value
      • Carbs Make It Not A Bed-time Suitable Protein
      Scored on this big time! The mall by my house is on its last leg and gets no customers. The upside to that is that there is a GNC there that constantly has large numbers of things on closeout. Picked up a 6 lb tub of Nitro Core for only $15 and figured even if it wasn't the best protein that it would do the trick and you usually cant go wrong with ON products. Well I'm glad I made that assumption because this stuff is awesome for filling in as a meal when life gets too busy to stop and eat. I have found that it is great for pre workout as well. The only real quarrel I have with this product is the fat content, which makes it taste great by the way. I got the cookies and cream flavor and plan on going back to score a couple more tubs of a couple more flavors at this really low price. I know that lots of people prefer the Pro Complex over Nitro Core, but there are also a lot of people on tight budgets that cant afford it and I would highly recommend this protein to anyone who doesnt have gobs of money to spend on supps. I think that this will be a staple in my protein arsenal from here on out. Another great product from ON. Take some notes MuscleTech.

PS. For anyone reading this who happens to live in St.Louis, MO. Its the GNC at Crestwood Mall.

December 19, 2009

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Flavors
      • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
      • Sustained Release
      • Great Value
      • Unnecessary Carbs
      • Carbs Make It Not A Bed-time Suitable Protein
      Nitro-Core is a good protein to use. There is nothing thats necessarily bad about it. The taste is phenomenal, but it has a bit too many carbs and that is something I like to control when supplementing protein into my diet.
      The price is the selling point and it is essentially Optimum Nutritions watered down Pro-Complex since Pro-Complex's price is not for everyone.
      If you want to build mass on a budget consider this for a MRP alongside 100% Whey for post workout.
      I used this protein at breakfast time with a bowl of oatmeal and had plenty of time to use all the sources of protein and carbs before my next meal.
      The blend is nice since since it uses forms of casein as well as whey to complete the absorption spectrum.
      I used one tub of Ultimate Chocolate and the taste was the best Optimum Nutrition protein I have tried to date. (Turbo Choc Hydrowhey is a close 2nd)

December 3, 2009

Pros:
       Cons:
      • Great Flavors
      • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
      • Great Before Bed
      • Sustained Release
      • Great Value
        Ok this is one that I just seem to keep going back to. I always have to have a tub laying around for between meals, before bed, or whenever its convenient. I have found that the taste with this one, in my opinion, puts other proteins in the dirt (other than wheybolic) but im pretty sure its because of the carb and fat content. I have a tub of both this and 100% Whey sitting next to eachother, both vanilla ice cream, and I have a hard time going with the 100% Whey even when its the best time to do so. The taste between the two are completely different. NitroCore24 is like desert before bed. Another reason I geep going with this one is that it seems like every time I go into GNC there is two or three jugs marked down because the experation date is coming up. I mean every time, and with my gold card Ive been getting away with 5lb tubs of this one for 25$!!! As long as I keep running into that deal, Im on this.

November 29, 2009

Pros:
         Cons:
        • Great Flavors
        • Great Profile
        • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
        • Great Before Bed
        • Sustained Release
          have used several tubs of nitro core..
          the profile is much like bsn's syntha 6..
          taste wise,i prefer the strawberry and vanilla..
          cookies and cream and cinnamon roll is okay, caramel toffee fudge is too sweet.. they taste well with water and taste so much better with milk..
          the powder mixes well and leaves no clumps..
          i am mildly lactose intolerant and have troubles taking protein supplements.. but with nitro core, i had no digestive problems..no gas/bloating..
          i take it with water after wrestling or pwo..i take half a scoop with whole milk before bed (mixing with milk made me digest lactose better).. i sometimes take a serving whenever i have no time to get a solid meal..
          it helped me recover much more quickly and helped me maintain muscle mass..
          i highly recommend nitro core and it is a cheaper alternative to syntha 6..

October 27, 2009

Pros:
           Cons:
          • Great Flavors
          • Great Profile
          • Excellent Meal Replacement Protein
          • Great Before Bed
          • Sustained Release
          • Great Value
            I bought 2 6 # tubs of this stuff, Strawberry and cookies and cream. The taste of these flavors was delicious, and Im sure it has something to do with the higher fat and calorie content of this blend. Overall, if you are looking for a meal replacement protein or something to keep you anabolic between meals, this is a winner. It also works great as a before bed protein if you want to switch it up from Casein or cottage cheese. I was pretty satisfied with Nitro, but I have to say that I probably wont make it a staple in the protein arsenal. I would prefer to stick with Pro Complex as a blend, as it gives me everything I want in a protein. Nitro has 24 g of protein per serving, and it is relatively inexpensive in comparison to other blends. Comparing it to Probolic or Dymatize Elite 12 hour, I have to give it to Nitro. The flavor is better, the cost is lower, and Ive come to really trust in Optimum as the quality of their products is always high. One other thing, I digested this protein much better than other time released proteins, so I had a lot less gas. Anyway, this can be a versatile blend if thats what you are looking for, just keep in mind that the "Optimum" time to take this is between meals, as a meal replacement, or before bed. It makes a damn good treat as a healthy dessert also.