Lean Whey has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Whey Protein

Lean Whey Reviews

By: Optimum

Protein > Whey Protein
Lean Whey is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Lean Whey has been reported as discontinued.

Check out the top-ranked products in Protein > Whey Protein

7.1

Overall
Overall
4.3
4.5
  September 23, 2017

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Decent Taste
  • No Side Effects
  • Misleading Label

I had two choices either pick EVERBUILD PRE Build as standalone for 20 dollars or getting Pre Build with Lean Whey 1lbs for 20dollars on a promo stack.
They wanted to get rid Lean Whey because it expires on December. So i bought before 2 months five of them.

In a first glance the profile looks pretty solid but don't get too excited. Per 26g of serving you get 20.6g of Protein consisting of Whey Protein Isolate, Concetrate and Milk Protein Isolate. Isolate for fast digestion, Concentrate for fast digestion again but slower than Isolate and Milk Protein for the casein ratio (Milk Protein consists 78-82% Casein and 18-22% Whey). Casein is a slow digestion protein. Along with these goodies you get a negligible amounts of Safflower Oil (312mg), Green Tea Extract (78mg) and L-Carnitine 130mg. I don't think that these amounts will affect any way your recovery or your protein intake.

Now let's begin with the details which make the difference. Label can be misleading. In big letters on the bottom of Nutrition Information you get some info that this whey contains 9.2 g of EAA's, 7.2 g Conditionally Essential Amino Acids and 4.2g Non Essential Amino Acids. Your first thinking is "Wow what a a great company they give us some info about the amino acids in this protein". Wrong! They don't mention the quantity of each amino acid and they don't mention the amount of BCAA's in the chart (But they mention that you get 4.6 g BCAA's with small letters on the bottom of the package and you will have to search a bit).

The main problem is the order of EAA's. EAA's contain our lovely BCAA's which personally they help me more than other amino acids (Only If Leucine has more quantity than the other two). In this chart Valine is second, Isoleucine is forth and Leucine is fifth (EAA's are 8 amino acids). That means Leucine is less than the other two BCAA's (they don't place them with alphabetical order). Usually almost all my Whey Protein powders that have the quantity of each amino acid disclosed have a 1.8-1-1 ratio of Leucine to Isoleucine and Valine. But this protein has less Leucine than Isoleucine and Valine on a 4.6 overall quantity of BCAA's which is pretty troubling.

But you may say that order doesn't matter at all and every company can place the ingredients with the order they like. I don't believe this for a simple reason (i might be wrong) i have seen many blend Whey Protein powders with first ingredient Concentrate and second ingredient Isolate or Hydrolyzed Whey. Why one company would place first Whey Concentrate (Concentrate is widely believed to be an less quality protein than Isolate or Hydrolyzed) and after Isolate/ Hydrosylate if they can place the ingredients with their order they wish? You will say that some companies are trustworthy that's why they place the true order. The keyword is "Some" companies are trustworthy. I don't really believe that all companies that place Concentrate first they care and want to tell the truth to their customers but because they have to. I might be grumpy but i don't believe everything one company advertises. I will look on the small letters for some clues.

I had the Strawberry fusion which is a pretty decent flavor with no chemical aftertaste at all. I am not really fond of Strawberry but i quite enjoyed it. Not the best taste but tolarable. Mixability was great even with 3 scoops on a 500ml water quantity. Just shake for 30 seconds.
Dosing was 3 scoops (61.8 protein) after working out.

My worst fears unfortunately come true. Doms were still there and only reduced very slightly. I could feel significantly tired like i haven't consumed a Protein Powder (first time that happens to me lol). I can't believe that it didn't helped me with recovery even with 60grams of Protein. I will also compare this with 60g of Whey Hydrosylate and 40g of Whey Concentrate. With 60grams of Whey Hydrosylate i wouldn't feel any Doms and i wouldn't be tired from my workout. Even with 40g of Whey Concentrate i would have a way better recovery than this product. Hydrosylate and Concentrate had a 1.8:1:1 ratio of BCAA's. Also sleeping patterns and diet were exactly the same. The good news are the good digestion with no side effects. No bloat, no stomach discomfort and no farts to mention.

I won't base value with the Promo Stack. It costs 32.87 Dollars for 2 lbs which is pretty expensive because it is largely ineffective.

Conclusion

They are way better Whey protein powders than this. I bought them basically for free on this promo stack but i believe i shouldn't. They only occupy some free space. I would like to say some good things about this product but unfortunately the only positives are decent taste (nothing extraordinary) and no side effects.
  • Strawberry Fusion: 7/10

• Zsteinf
    September 23, 2017

Another wonderful review. As far as the ingredients and the order they are listed in. When I worked for Pepsi, I was told we had to list ingredients based on amount of the ingredient. What I'm saying is, if u look at ingredients u will see water first, then coloring, then acid, etc... It is listed this way is because there is more water then coloring and there is more coloring then acid, etc... I think the only reason why they list the whey in that order is because the first listed whey is more then the next etc... This is just my guess. Regardless of this reason, ur review was good and it gave me a lot of information that I needed. I don't want to spend money on things that r not worth it, even if it is a good sale. Like most people, we don't want to waste r money and reviews like this r needed. Nice work!

• kaka
    September 24, 2017

Thanks Zsteinf for your kind words and for the informative info :)