(Better than 83% in Protein > Whey Protein)

Isolate is a Whey Protein Powder manufactured by Optimum. It is a dairy based protein that supports lean muscle gain by suppling additional protein to recovering muscles, which can also improve fat loss.

Protein > Whey Protein

May 13, 2018

Pros:
 Cons:
  • Easy To Mix
  • Good Dosing
  • Taste Great
  • High BCAA

A solid product containing 30g of Whey Protein Isolate.

This was donated to me from my gym that is connected with a church that receives donations from Costco. I have tried many protein powders. Reviewing protein can be tricky, but here I go.

This is not a blend. It's just 30g of Whey Protein Isolate. There are 3g carbs (1g of that is sugar) and 1g of fat for a total of 140 calories.

- Whey Protein Isolate - digests and absorbs quickly while also providing a rapid rise in amino acid levels. An isolate is between a concentrate and hydrolysate.

In the 30g are 20g EAA in which 6.5g of that are BCAA's. The rest are non essential. There are no amino acids listed in the ingredients which makes me very happy. Overall, no red flags.

Taste - I was given Chocolate Shake. It taste so good. Creamy. Sweet. I like milk chocolate and this taste just like it. 30g of delicious goodness right here.

Mixability - Mixes like a charm. Very easy. No clumps. No issues.

Dosing - I used this in conjunction with my nutrition. I had about 3 scoops a day. It's a one scoop serving size.

It does what a protein needs to do. The fact that it tastes great and mixes easily makes it work better for me as I look forward to drinking it. 30g of protein at 6.5g BCAA's is a solid dose. The scooper is 38g total. Only 8g away from the total protein. I like that. No left over fluff, junk, or spiking.

I used it to maintain my surplus. I used to help recovery. I used it as a snack. I used it before bed. I believe it succeeded in doing the things that I wanted it to do.

I received the 50 serving tub.

Costco sells it for $42.99 @ 50 servings. I think that is a great deal. I'm not really good at values. I wouldn't by 5lbs, I spend my money differently. But, this was free, so I can't complain. I feel this is a good price if one bought it from Costco. Any cheaper...more to ya!

Side Effects

None. No bloating for me. No stomach discomfort or toilet drama.

Conclusion

I know this was a success because I'm sad that I don't have it anymore and hope I receive another donation of this. It really helped. Especially, for being free. For someone paying...it still will help. The price and serving ratio is enough to get the job done for while. It taste great, a joy to drink, and no worries on amino spiking.
    • Chocolate Shake: 10/10

Other Prices:
    Amazon   $31.55
    Muscle and Strength   $32.16
    A1Supplements   $34.95

January 25, 2016

Pros:
     Cons:
    • Easy To Mix
    • Good Dosing
    • Not The Best Value

I am a little surprised that this product doesn't have any reviews yet. Optimum's Performance Whey Isolate is a decent product. I won't say it's great, especially because there are better values out there but overall I think it's a product worth trying if you're looking for a decent recovery protein and have some extra cash to burn. This is another product recommended by bodybuilding.com (which is where I get quite a bit of information) about 4 months ago when I was looking for a supplemental protein to improve muscle recovery. This was added to my "diet" as part of a recommendation from my doctor to switch to a higher protein, lower carb diet and I used it after my workouts as a source of quick digesting protein. I've since added MuscleTech's Phase 8 protein blend and will be reviewing that in the coming weeks when I finish the tub.

Judging by the lack of reviews I've got a feeling there are better recovery supplements out there but for just getting started (less than 2 years using supplements) I think this product was worth it.

(9/10)
    This is probably my favorite ingredient profile of the products I've tried so far. This is a very simple mix of whey protein isolates, some flavor agents and aids to help with miscibility. I really like that there aren't many fillers to "extend" the mix. One other GREAT aspect of the ingredient mix is the higher amount of protein without much sugar (<1g per serving) and carbs (3g/serv). Being on a low carb meal plan, this really makes it easy to get some additional protein.

I also like that this product includes 5.5g of BCAA's that are necessary for muscle recovery.

(10/10 for mix and dosing; 6/10 taste)
    Again, simplicity helps a lot with this aspect. The ingredients allow this product to be mixed VERY easily with water alone. Most other proteins I've tried take a generous amount of shaking and/or a water/milk blend. Isolate will dissolve with little to no mixing, in water, if desired.

The taste of this product could be improved. I used the chocolate flavor and found it to be a little light on the actual chocolate flavor. Some may not mind this if they don't like chocolate as much as I do, but I like a rich, chocolate flavor in my proteins when I use them and this product is missing that.

Dosing on this product is excellent with 25g of protein packed into only 34g of powder. For comparison, I just reviewed BSN's Syntha-6 which contained 22g of protein in 47g of powder. I believe this adds to the ease of mixing in a normal 20-24oz shaker because there is less powder to dissolve.

(6/10)
    I'll admit, I'm still new to the supplement world but I'm confident that there are probably better recovery supplements available to reduce sore muscle presence and improve one's day to day workouts. However, for my purposes this product was effective enough. I could tell when I didn't drink my after workout shake and when I did. The typical day 2 pain (as I call the pain felt in a muscle on the 2nd day after working it) was less when I took this product. I still felt the soreness but wasn't "immobilized" by it.

One key thing to note here is that the Isolate form of the protein really aids in getting protein molecules and BCAA's to the muscle quickly, so timing is crucial. This protein needs to be taken within 30 or 45 minutes of the workout to work. Beyond that there isn't any long term benefit as there are no slow digesting proteins to help with muscle rebuilding after about an hour or 2 from taking the product. This is in comparison to a whey concentrate or Casein type protein which are both slower digesting.

(7/10)
    This is a sneaky attribute of Isolate as it is cheaper serving but costs more up front. I like buying proteins in larger quantities to take advantage of bulk packaging prices so I am comparing the value of the ~5lb products. On a per serving cost basis this product is excellent, costing only ~$0.89/serving. Compare that to my recent review of Syntha-6 (a protein blend) which had a ~$1.04/serving cost. So Isolate is a good value per serving, however the 5lb pale can cost anywhere from $60-$70 which is a lot of money. Plus keep in mind this product probably isn't the best for recovery, though it does help.

Side Effects

No noticeable side effects.

Conclusion

Overall, I like this product as a means of getting some simple, quick, protein right after a workout. It holds decent value but probably isn't the best for overall muscle recovery after a workout. I'm sure over the years to come I'll find a better recovery supplement that has better value and effectiveness. If I ever have the money, I probably will use this again for the same purpose of quick protein but will most likely stack it with a post-workout or something better in terms of muscle recovery. I would recommend it for use if anyone has similar goals of getting a decent, quick digesting protein, but not for much else.

Other Prices: