Gold Standard Pre-Workout Reviews

By: Optimum

FORUM TOPICS

Gold Standard Pre-Workout is a Pre-Workout manufactured by Optimum. It is designed to help provide a pre-training advantage by increasing mental focus, muscle performance, endurance and blood flow. This creates an environment optimal for increasing muscle mass and losing body fat.

5.4
  October 15, 2017

• Energy
  • Endurance
  • Pricey For Some
  • Some Ingredients Underdosed At 1 Serving

What's up guys? Another pre-workout review coming at you and this time it is the "Gold Standard" by Optimum Nutrition. I have mad respect for O.N. I actually got this specific PRE for half price because one of my gym buddies bought two and sold me the other one for half of the retail price. As with most pre-workouts, this one makes a bold claim on the front calling itself "the gold standard of pre-workouts," so I was excited to take it for a spin.

Serving Size is 1 scoop

Muscle Matrix
Creatine Monohydrate (as Creapure): 3 g
AstraGin Proprietary Blend [Astragalaus membranaceus Extract (root) & Panax notoginseng Extract (root)]: 25 mg

Perfomance Composite
L-Citrulline Malate: 1.5 g
Beta-Alanine (as CarnoSyn): 1.5 g

Energy & Focus Complex
Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl: 375 mg
N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine: 250 mg
Caffeine: 175 mg
Citrus Bioflavonoids: 100 mg

So right off the bat you see those prop blend names and your heart drops, BUT they actually fully disclose how much of each ingredient is in every serving (S/O Optimum Nutrition for that). Your "Muscle Matrix" blend gives you a nice 3g serving of creatine. I love getting a substantial amount of creatine in my pre-workouts because I can then take my usual 5 grams of monohydrate post workout and get the best of both worlds. They also include this blend called "AstraGin" which acts as an absorption catalyst, kind of like black pepper but not the exact same properties. Next up we have the Performance Blend and we get 1.5g of Citrulline Malate and 1.5g of Beta-Alanine. I always like to see these 2 ingredients in my workout, however, my only complaint is that they are underdosed. I'm only getting about half of the Beta-Alanine that I would want for optimal results and only 1/4 of the clinical dose of Citrulline Malate.
The Energy/Focus Blend starts off with a nootropic brain booster in the form of Acetyl L-Carnitine which can also help metabolize fat and they include Acetyl Tyrosine for added brain/neurological support. The main part that I want to talk about here is the caffeine. I find that at 175mg that is a lot lower than I would like to see. As a person that drinks 3-4 cups of coffee every day I like to see at least 250mg of caffeine in my pre-workouts to really give me that jump start to my pre-workout.

Taste: I had the Strawberry Lime flavor and was very impressed. I haven't tasted any other supplement like it. Score: 8/10
Mixibility: NEVER had any issues mixing this product in my blender bottle. Score 8/10
Dosing: I like the one scoop serving, but I didn't "love" it so I definitely took a scoop and a half more often than not

One serving of this product gave me "good workouts" but I wanted GREAT workouts so I would often use 1.5-2 servings at a time. Let me say this: 2 servings of this product proved to be very effective. At 3g of Beta-Alanine, 3g of Citrulline, 6g of creatine, and 350mg of caffeine I had some phenomenal workouts. My endurance felt never-ending. I would go through my entire planned workout and then go back at the end and hit some sets of the main exercises. The pump was still extremely average even at 2 servings. I've learned that I need clinical doses of key pump ingredients in order for me to get any sort of 'special pump'. The 350mg of caffeine gave me a great jumpstart to my workout every single time. The only downside to using 2 servings at a time is that it goes sooo much faster than normal. My tub only lasted around 2 weeks because of it :(

This is my biggest knock on this product. It's not cheap ESPECIALLY when you start doubling up on your servings. The cheapest that I can currently find this product is for $31 at CampusProtein.com for 30 servings. That turns into $2 per serving when you start doubling up. It's definitely not the best choice for your wallet

Side Effects

None with 1 scoop
Slight beta-alanine tingles at 2 scoops

Conclusion

Good pre-workout at one scoop (nothing really that special), and a great pre-workout at 2 scoops. However, it is just overpriced for what you're getting.

6.6
  June 12, 2017

• Good For Newbies
  • No Jitters
  • Some Ingredients Underdosed At 1 Serving

(About yourself, 1-3 sentences maximum)
I'm a natural bodybuilder who is attending the University of Arizona who has been fascinated by supplementation for quite awhile and have put hours and hours into reading sports medicine journals and research papers testing how effective supplements/individual ingredients are. I mostly am familiar with different formulations of pre workouts, so this is right down my alley.

The ingredients aren't anything mindblowing, but this can be seen as a good thing. For the most part, they used ingredients that are tried and true. The only stimulant is caffeine, there's trusty creatine monohydrate instead of some blend of all these expensive, unnecessary forms of creatine, there's beta-alanine for endurane, L-citrulline (not arginine, yay!) for nitric oxide boosting, as well as Acetyl-L-Carnitine HCl (the most clinically proven form of Carnitine for performance enhancement) and Tyrosine for some mild energy/focus type effects.

I'll start with the taste. I got the pineapple flavor and I think it's awesome. I would go as far as saying it is the best tasting pre-workout that I have tried (well, probably tied with Pineapple Mango of the old formula of MusclePharm Assault) but that is saying a lot considering I have tried upwards of 25 different pre workout flavors in the past couple years.

In terms of mixability, it mixes really well except for the fact that a little bit of creatine sticks to the sides and bottom of the cup no matter how hard you try mixing it, but this is pretty standard with all products containing creatine monohydrate so I can't really complain about it.

Dosing: this is where my issues with the pre workout are. First of all, I will just start by saying that there isn't enough citrulline. 1 scoop has 750mg of L-Citrulline, where the studies suggest that the clinical dose is 6 grams of citrulline malate (or roughly 4g of L-citrulline since citrulline malate is in a 2:1 ratio). So this means that even if you have two scoops of the pre workout, you're only getting 1.5 g of citrulline. For somone who always puts bulk citrulline malate in their pre workouts such as me, this is no issue, but for others, you are getting underdosed unfortunately.

Also, there is 1.5g beta alanine per scoop and 3g of creatine monohydrate, where the benchmark doses for effectiveness of those ingredients are 3.2 grams and 5 grams, respectively. Once again, if you take two scoops you will be getting 3 grams of beta alanine and 6 grams of creatine which are great doses, but then again you are taking two scoops of the formula and next thing you know, the 30 serving container really becomes a mere 15 servings, which isn't ideal. Another thing to consider is each scoop has 175mg caffeine, and if a user is caffeine sensitive, two scoops will yield 350mg of caffeine which is a bit steep for some.

In terms of effectiveness, I actually really like the pre for "clean" energy. I usually have a bottle of Nitramine or Mesomorph on hand, but sometimes you just don't want to have DMAA or a formula with 4-5 stims in it, and you just want some more "mild" energy (or if you are working out at night and want to be able to fall asleep at a decent hour for work or school). This is where the pre workout really shines, I wouldn't try setting a bunch of PRs using this, but when you want to get a pretty solid workout in without dealing with any negative side effects, insomnia, or jitters, or want to do cardio after a workout, I would highly recommend this.

Because of the issues I mentioned earlier with dosing (See: two sections above) the value of this pre workout unfortunately plummets pretty hard when you start using two scoops to get clinical doses of the key ingredients. I generally never buy anything at GNC since I consider it far overpriced but I was visiting a friend who worked there and noticed they sell 36 serving containers instead of 30 serving containers for the same price as 30 serving containers at other vendors so I actually bought two of them and got 72 servings for 58 dollars, but the value isn't all there if you buy the normal 30 serving container for 30 dollars. At this price it is 1 dollar per serving, and when you start taking two servings if you want correct dosages on ingredients, then it becomes two dollars for one serving, which is pretty bad value considering you can get a lot more solid pre workouts with clinical dosages or including full amino acid spectrums in them for around $1.70-2.00 per serving.

Side Effects

I actually haven't experienced any side effects from this pre workout. No heartburn, no indigestion, no jitters since the only stimulant is caffeine, no abundant sweating since it isn't loaded with thermogenics. Very pleased with how I haven't experienced any undesirable effects from this.

Conclusion

Overall, I think this is a pretty solid pre workout for when you don't want to take anything intense, and the ingredients it has are definitely effective, but the fatal flaw of this pre workout is that it really is more of a "two scoop" formula and it simply isn't economical to pay full price on this and take two scoops all the time as your primary pre workout, but rather one that you can take "sometimes" when you don't want to use something else.
  • Pineapple: 10/10

November 23, 2015

• Good For Newbies
  • No Jitters
  • Pricey For Some

Optimum Nutrition (ON) makes some great protein, so I figured I'd try their PWO. I've had the watermelon flavor in the form of sample packs, and splurged and bought a can of the Blueberry Lemonade.

The label listing is pretty sparse for PWO nowadays, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing. ON has all the things you need, not much of what you don't. Caffeine for energy and focus, beta-alanine for a tingly rush, and Creatine for strength (if you're not supplementing already). Also included is a pinch of herbs in the form of "AstraGIN Proprietary Blend", which deserves it's own pharagraph:

Astragin is something that you will see a lot, especially if you browse ingredient labels like I do. Its a combination of substances, panax notoginsing and astragalus membranaceus. The intended effect of this combo (at least in PWOs) is to increase the absorption of "vitamins" (most sites are not specific about which ones) and amino acids, specifically arginine. The idea is that this increase in absorption will increase nitric oxide (NO), of which arginine is a precursor of. This increase in NO would induce vasodilation, increasing your pump. This is all great, but the science (or lack thereof) doesn't support this claim. While you will see lots of impressive numbers on website promoting the substance (naturally), nailing down the studies they get the numbers from is nigh impossible. This is made even more difficult by the lack of citations on websites promoting the product. Suffice it to say I don't have much confidence in Astragin's ability to do anything. I encourage you to do your own research.

ON also throws in some vitamins, which are mostly superfluous unless you AREN'T taking a daily multivitamin (but why would you do that? Shame, shame!). The extra B vitamins won't hurt you though, as the body will pee out what it doesn't use. Mind the vitamin D if you're already supplementing it, however. It's a fat-storable vitamin that can build up if you take too much of it.

Overall, pretty standard stuff for a PWO.

The taste of both the Blueberry lemonade and Watermelon are pretty good, like Kool-Aid almost. I don't really like artificial watermelon flavors myself, but for those who dig it will dig this.

Mixability has never been an issue with this stuff, even with the creatine in it. I find that pretty impressive, since a lot of creatine supps can be very gritty. So full points here.

The DOSING, however, can be confusing for some. If you're new to preworkouts or you feel that you don't need much of a boost for that day (WHY are you taking PWO again?) stick to one scoop. If you're experienced with PWO and looking for a boost similar to others, do two scoops. Unfortunately for the PWO veterans this means we're limited to 15 servings in this can. Womp womp.

Energy is clean with no jitters, and it gives a bit of tingle with an average pump. If you want that good workout "hit" and you're experienced with them, go ahead and go with two scoops to get it. I found that one scoop wasn't enough for me personally, but your mileage may vary. If you want to increase the effectiveness and power of your PWO in general (and this applies to most all of them), limit your caffeine input from other sources. Caffeine is in PWO because it works, but not if you're pounding espresso all day. Cutting caffeine out elsewhere will help get you jazzed when you take your PWO in preparation for the gym.

If you're a one-scooper, this is a decent value. At around 30 bucks US for a can, you'll get about $1 per serving. Two scoopers will likely need to look elsewhere, as this stuff won't last for you. I'm a 1.5 scooper myself, and I tend to cycle my PWO to prevent caffeine tolerance. So I don't feel that I'm wasting money here.

Side Effects

You might experience some itching from the beta-alanine and some jitters if you haven't eaten in a while, but that's mostly if you've taken two scoops. Otherwise, fairly mild.

Conclusion

Overall a decent PWO that will get the job done without blowing your head off. May not be a good value for those looking for something more powerful.
  • Blueberry Lemonade: 9/10
  • Watermelon: 8/10

March 31, 2015

• Some Ingredients Are Dosed Correctly
ON is a quality company with one of the best known protein options around. The rest of their supplement options have always failed to impress me with the exception of one or two. Their new preworkout is certainly leaps and bounds over their old option. But does it live up to the name of "Gold Standard Pre-Workout"? Read on to find out.

Ingredient Profile 9/10

Optimum did this formula right and covered every surface of what is needed for many in a pre-workout. I required 2 servings to get the right numbers of each ingredient which brings it to 15 servings a tub for me.

Serving Size: 1 Scoop (10 g)
Servings Per Container: 30
Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 10 mcg
Pantothenic Acid (as D-Calcium Pantothenate) 10 mg
Muscle Matrix
Creatine Monohydrate (as Creapure®) 3 g
AstraGIN® Proprietary Blend [Astragalus membranaceus Extract (root) & Panax notoginseng Extract (root)] 25 mg †
Performance Composite
L-Citrulline Malate 1.5 g
Beta-Alanine (as CarnoSyn®) 1.5 g
Energy & Focus Complex
N-Acetyl-L-Carnitine Hcl 375 mg
N-Acetyl-L-tyrosine 250 mg
Caffeine 175 mg
Citrus Bioflavonoids 100 mg

The only thing I wish was bumped up would be the L-Citrulline Malate. 6g should be the minimal dose for sports supplementation. Astragin is something I expect to see more of in the future. Studies have shown that this ingredient can significantly help and improve absorption of many essential nutrients. Optimum still did great with this profile with what you get in it and the transparency they provide.

Taste/Mixability/Dosing 8/10

Dosing, as mentioned I required 2 scoops to get the full effect. I am a stim junkie so I do advise you start with 1 and see how it does for you. 20 minutes pre-workout and I felt the Beta-Alanine and caffeine kick in for me. So far I've only tried the watermelon option, it's amazing. I'm never a fan of watermelon but this had the taste of a jolly rancher, enough said. Mixability wasn't an issue per say. But this pre-workout certainly had a thick consistency to it then any others I've had. I found this odd but slightly enjoyable at the same time.

Effectiveness 8.5/10

With the doses Optimum gives us you can except for this to be an effective pre-workout, and it did. One issue is i didn't have much of a pump experience due to the lower does of L-Citrulline. To be 100% fair Optimum does not promote the pump aspect of their pre-workout too much. Instead they drive their deliver on focus & energy which Gold Standard delivers on without a doubt.

Value 7/10

This is where Optimum falls short with their Gold Standard Pre-workout. At 30 servings per tub you will almost certainly need 2 scoops to feel it and it be effective at the same time. Price range is between $24-$30 from different vendors, respectively. If I only needed one scoop to serve my needs then I would be all for this as a top pre-workout. But at the price point for just 15 workouts it economically can't be justified for me. A 40 serving option coming in around the $35 mark would be the sweet spot for this supplement. It could last a month if training 5 days a week and it would be priced similar to the top competition per serving.

Conclusion

Gold Standard is above and beyond what Platinum Pre ever was. Optimum has done a great job with the ingredient profile and flavoring of this product. The only thing holding it back from a higher rating is to give more of a "pump" factor and work on the value a bit. If it's on a killer sale I would certainly be giving this a buy, until then it falls as just another pre-workout that does it's job.